Bundt Cake #46: Boston Cream Pie

This cake was a winner.  I mean…seriously, I had one of my taste testers telling me she was going to lick her plate after she finished her slice.  I had 3 (that’s right!), 3 people text me that afternoon telling me they wanted the recipe.  This cake was devoured by my friends.  Boston Cream Pie is a cake (not a pie) that is yellow based with yellow pudding inside and chocolate frosting…really and truly, how can you not like that?  My version is so simple too…
Shopping List
1 box of  yellow cake mix
2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup of veggie oil
1 1/4 cups water
 4 eggs
2 cups prepared vanilla pudding (see comments below)
1 can of chocolate frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease (I use Pam) a 10 inch bundt pan
In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, puddings, oil, water and eggs with electric mixer.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cake rest on counter in pan 10 minutes.  Then, invert cake onto serving plate to finish cooling.
Once the cake is cool, take the handle end of a wooden spoon and poke holes around the top of the cake.  Spoon pudding over the top of the cake and over the holes (see picture below).  Allow cake to sit in refrigerator at least one hour.  Take the lid and foil off of your frosting and microwave 10-15 seconds.  Remove cake from fridge and spoon chocolate frosting down over the top of the vanilla pudding.  Slice and serve.
I just bought an extra box of vanilla pudding and whipped up a batch to use in this recipe.  You could totally use a few of your kids’ vanilla pudding cups instead.  You need about 2 cups of prepared pudding…so either way, would be fine.  I just spooned the pudding right down over the top making sure to cover the holes so that the pudding seeped through.

This is my little photography assistant.  Always helping in the kitchen and with my photos.  Love her!
Print Friendly
  • Maureen W. (Maryland) July 9, 2012 at 12:40 am

There's a reason the Boston Cream donuts are always the first ones gone when someone brings a dozen to work! What an easy recipe, but still an impressive result.

• cheryl lester October 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I found this cake in a search for a cake for the school cake raffle. It never made it out the house for a slice mysteriously disappeared. So my family loves this cake…

• The Guerra Girls April 22, 2013 at 2:33 am

My Dad grew up in Boston and though we now live in Texas, it is always close to our hearts (as are the Red Sox). After this horrible week for our beloved city, we were nostalgic for all things Boston and this made a PERFECT dessert! Thank you for feeding our hearts and our tummies! 🙂

• Abby Brooks January 31, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Hi Shay! This cake looks divine! I am making the cake a day before we want to eat it. I am making it today for us to eat tomorrow–for Super Bowl Sunday! Would you recommend refrigerating it until tomorrow or let it stay out at room temp? I was not sure with the pudding. Thank you!!!

• Mix and Match Mama January 31, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I would stick this cake in the fridge until game day. You can remove it a few hours before to take the chill off if you like. Enjoy :).

• Abby Brooks February 3, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Just wanted to follow up and say that this cake was insanely addictive! It was a hit for the Superbowl and then I took some to the person I babysit for and they loved it as well. Incredibly delicious…thank you Shay!

• Mary McCoy September 13, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I made this cake for a gathering of girlfriends yesterday. I love Boston creme pie, and thought this sounded like an easier alternative. Every single person who ate this LOVED it! Even one girlfriend who says she is not a cake eater(?), loved it. I am looking forward to making it again and also trying your other bundt cake recipes. By the way, I enjoy your blog and learning about your family. I too have a daughter from China, who is now 17!

Mary McCoy