Kensington’s Spa Day

At the beginning of the summer, I was approached by Crafters Crate to review their product.  I had never heard of Crafters Crate, so  I went online to check them out.  Holy moly!  Where have these people been these last few years???  They are a company that sends crafts to your door every month for you to do with your daughter.
I was so intrigued.  I have admitted numerous times, that I’m not crafty.  Just the thought of going to Hobby Lobby and having to create crafts from scratch gives me hives.  So, the idea of someone gathering the supplies and sending them to my door was really appealing.  I agreed to the review and awaited our box…
When our box arrived, we had no idea what was inside…but we were super excited to find out…

Kensington was really into this review!

Ohhhh….

It was a little “spa” kit for your girl.  Inside there was a little board to be painted with chalk paint (included), chalk and a brush, bubble bath, bath salt (that you combined with a little blue paint to make it extra fun, make your own chapstick, instructions on how to make a face mask, and a sleeping mask.
I was impressed with how organized and neat all of the instructions were.  Each little craft came in its own bag with all of the supplies and instructions included.  We began with the little door sign for her to use on the bathroom door…

Door sign, paint, paint brush and ribbon were all included.

Simple instructions to follow.

The next thing we did was make her own bath salt.  This was so simple that she was able to do it by herself. She loved it!

I think her favorite part was making her own chapstick.  This required a little adult supervision but the end result was worth it.

At the end of the night, Kensington hung her sign on the bathroom door…
And relaxed in the tub.  She had her bath salt in there, the bubble bath that was included and her chapstick on.  She absolutely felt like a big girl and loved it!  The only thing we didn’t do was the face mask because it required an avocado and I was out.
That night, she snuggled up all clean and refreshed and wore her eye mask.  Seriously.  She wore it all week!  And yes, those are snowman sheets.  Don’t judge.  They are flannel and comfy and we love them.  (You’re judging but that’s ok.)
Overall, I was more than impressed with my first Crafters Crate!  I really didn’t know what to expect, so my heart was really happy when I saw what was inside our kit.  I thought the craft was age appropraite, easy enough to do without a lot of adult supervision and something that she could use over and over again (the face mask and the chapstick are still being used).  I also thought this craft gave us a great opportunity to talk about how things are made (like the lipstick mommy wears) and how it’s important to understand the ingredients in beauty products.  The only things that didn’t work well for us was the fact that it required an avocado (which I didn’t have) and the face mask came with a needle and thread to be sewn together (to fit your daughter’s head) but I didn’t want to mess with that…therefore, I safety pinned it on.
If you want more info on Crafters Crate, check their website out here.  Right now, they’re offering $10 off your subscription with promo code mixma10.
After several of your comments, the founder of Crafters Crate left this comment on today’s post…
Hey everyone! I thought it would be good for everyone to hear about why I started CraftersCrate. I have done lots of work with children, mostly young girls. We don’t hate boys at CraftersCrate but I wanted a way that parents could connect with their daughters and teach them about important values like self image and self worth through crafts and activities. We believe that the young girls of today are going to be the leaders, business women and mothers of tomorrow and we want to be the first step on that journey. We do love everyone’s enthusiasm however and are looking in to a boy box. so keep checking in with us!

Happy Crafting
Rachael
Founder of CraftersCrate
And…everyone listen up!  Today begins Pinterest Told Me To’s big blog birthday week!  She is giving away a $365 Nordstrom gift card in honor of her first birthday!  You must click here to check it out!!

I am so excited about Sheaffer’s blog and her big birthday week!  It’s going to be spectacular!!

And today over at my foodie blog, I’m giving you a Back to School Menu that’s simple, quick and perfect for celebrating their first day of school!

Enjoy your Monday!
Find me on Twitter here.
Find me on Face Book here.
Find me on Pinterest here.
Find me on Instagram  @mixandmatchmama
  • Kelly Jo August 12, 2013 at 11:15 am

Fun! I want a monthly box for my boy!

• Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} August 12, 2013 at 11:32 am

Thanks for the birthday shout out! Love you friend!

• Ashlee August 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm

The boxes are neat, but I wish they made them for boys… my son would love them.

• Trish White August 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

We do Kiwi Crate and it has boy options and gender neutral activities. My boys love it!

• Fisher August 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

My daughter, who is 5, also loves her snowman sheets and informed me months ago that she will not be sleeping in any other sheets this summer. I was sure she would break down and crawl under her nice expensive sheets one night but she has proven me wrong by sleeping on top of her quilt for the past two months with just a throw blanket on. I'm putting the snowman sheets back on tonight. Thanks for the reality check!

• Kim August 12, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Shay!!! My friends and I were just discussing a "birch box" idea for our 6 year old girls this weekend. So happy to see you did the legwork for me already. A discount too?? Sold!!!! 🙂

• Michael and Christina August 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm

We subscribe to Kiwi Crate which is similar and gender neutral. Very fun activities for the family right at your door stop every month.

• Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm

We've been getting the BabbaBox for years and we love it! It's gender neutral also and they have sibling packs also so Kensington and Smith can do them together. I actually compared both and BabbaBoxes have a 1-2 more activities than the Kiwi Crate and come with an iPad app and a book. We LOVE them!

• Rachael August 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hey everyone! I thought it would be good for everyone to hear about why I started CraftersCrate. I have done lots of work with children, mostly young girls. We don't hate boys at CraftersCrate but I wanted a way that parents could connect with their daughters and teach them about important values like self image and self worth through crafts and activities. We believe that the young girls of today are going to be the leaders, business women and mothers of tomorrow and we want to be the first step on that journey. We do love everyone's enthusiasm however and are looking in to a boy box. so keep checking in with us!

Happy Crafting
    Rachael
    Founder of CraftersCrate

• Beth August 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Wow, this looks like so much fun and good way to spend one on one time with your girl. I'm definitely looking into it for me & mine!

• Anonymous August 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I was curious if you have a travel budget? If so, how do you do it? Do you have a set amount for the entire year and then just divide that amount up per trip that you take? Or do you just wing it? Ha!

I love to travel and could go all the time. I just wonder how much is too much? Mind me asking what you budget per year for trips?

• Mix and Match Mama August 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I don't feel comfortable telling you exactly what I budget every year for traveling but I wouldn't mind helping you shape your own budget. Email me at mixandmatchtravelagency@yahoo.com. Thanks!

• Alice August 13, 2013 at 3:53 am

Love this idea! I want to try it with my girls. BTW does Kensington like magazines too? Was just wondering. My girls want their own. And I was wondering if you had any recommendations….

• Aubrey August 13, 2013 at 8:08 am

Such a cute craft box! My girls LOVE that sort of thing just as much as Kensington does. 🙂

• Jaren August 13, 2013 at 7:46 pm

That looks like a lot of fun! My daughter would love it!