Kensington’s 1st Day of Kindergarten

Yesterday was Kensington’s first day of kindergarten.  I really could write a long post that involves me sobbing and crying, but I won’t.  I am so proud of my sweet girl.  She is such a mama’s girl and wants to stay with me all the time, so I was so proud of how brave she was.

Andrew and I didn’t know what to expect yesterday morning…Kensington can be really emotional and clingy, so we thought there might be a huge breakdown at her class door…but there wasn’t!  It actually went so well!!

For breakfast, K requested my St. Patrick’s Day Green Pancakes ;).  It was her first day of school, so if she wanted my Irish cakes, she could have some :).
All smiles 🙂

We woke her up at 6:30 so that she would have an hour before we needed to leave.  She ate her pancakes, watched Max and Ruby and was ready to get dressed.  She was all smiles, all happiness and totally ready.
After she got dressed, we went out front for some pictures :).

And then I thought I’d snap a pic of my new flats (because I love them and think you will too!)…

…and someone wanted in on the picture :).

I just love my sweet girl!

We went back inside, grabbed her new backpack and headed out to the car.  She wanted a picture of the back of her…

…and the front too :).

On the way to school, I looked back and Smith was so sad.  He said he didn’t want her to go.  Bless his sweet heart!

Before we got out of the car, we took a family selfie.

And then we walked her into school and she was gone.  All smiles, all bounce, all happiness…my baby girl is in school now.

This sweet girl is my little miracle baby.  I really wasn’t sure if I would ever be a mama and she made me one.  These last six years have gone by so quickly, and I would do them over again in a heartbeat.  When I die, I hope they say at my funeral that my greatest joy in life came from Christ first and then right after that, from being a mama.
For fun, I asked Kensington some questions before we left for school and here is what she said…
1. How old are you?
Five
2. What is your favorite color?
Turquoise
3. What is your favorite food?
Macaroni and Cheese
4. What is your favorite TV show?
Dora and Friends in the City
5. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween
6. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
Bake
7. What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
Swim
8. What is your favorite thing to do with Smith?
Swim
9. What excites you the most about having Ashby home?
Playing with her all the time
10. What are you most excited about this year in kindergarten?
Nothing
11. What are you most nervous about this year in kindergarten?
Everything
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
A baker
13. What is your favorite movie?
The Princess and the Frog
14. What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
Lucky
15. What is your favorite thing to wear?
Dresses
16. Who are you going to marry when you grow up?
17. What are you going to name your kids when you grow up?
Dawn and Eve
I have no idea where she came up with Dawn and Eve????  But she said it ;).
It’s gong to be such a great year for Kensington!  She is going to have the very best time, meet so many new people, learn so much and grow so much too.  As much as I don’t want her getting bigger, with each stage comes new and fun sides of her.  She is such a sweet little girl and has a huge heart for her family.  We are always so proud of her!

On my foodie blog today…

…if you love Sloppy Joes, this post is for you!

I have so many versions of this classic!  You need to come check them all out!  Just look…

And I have so many more!  Click here for all of the recipes.

Have a great day friends!!

• Molly M August 26, 2014 at 10:21 am

Oh my goodness, of course she looks ADORABLE! Such a sweet family. Can't wait to see how much she grows this year in Kindergarten!

• Karen August 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

She looks so cute! First days are always such a big milestone for all of us. My older daughter started first grade yesterday and I had the same range of emotions as her first day of Kindergarten. I love her outfit (shoes included!). Would you mind posting where you got it? Thanks!!

• Tab & Erika August 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

Yay!!! We survived and the girls totally rocked kindergarten! 🙂

• Amy Heinl August 26, 2014 at 10:50 am

So very glad she had a great 1st day yesterday,. I had said a special prayer for her. This will be the 1st of many more firsts in her life. May your days be blessed!

• Jen C. August 26, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hi Shay! Any chance you ordered your "first day of" sign online? I love it! Our family has our first round of first days this year! Thankfully I have one more week. New York starts a little later. ?

• Sarita @ it's a girl's world August 26, 2014 at 10:54 am

What a sweet post. , my turn is next week and I will be a mess. Love the 'first day of' sign. Where did you get it?

• Anonymous August 26, 2014 at 10:58 am

So cute! I am glad it went so well! It is so hard to let them go all day! But so good for everyone in the end.

Which color flat did you get? I see two colors and it is hard to tell what they look like online. Thanks!!!

• Mix and Match Mama August 26, 2014 at 11:01 am

My flats are faint gold and Andrea gave me the sign…sorry, I don't know where it's from!

• Dani {Adventures of a Pharm Girl} August 26, 2014 at 11:04 am

I hope you guys have a great school year!

• kimm atwood August 26, 2014 at 11:09 am

So so glad she had a great first day!!!!! Happy Tuesday

• Anonymous August 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

Love her sweet curls! Glad she had a good first day! Love the flats can I ask where the earrings are from (saw them on insta) thanks!!!!!

• Lisa N August 26, 2014 at 11:22 am

She is going to rule at school! She is going to learn, play, make new and great friends and and just expand her already beautiful personality:)
    When each of my daughters graduated from high school and people would asked me if I was so sad…I could honestly tell them no. Because I was excited to share in each new adventure in their lives. I was blessed to be there for all of it so I had no regrets of missing out on anything. But sure I would take them back as toddlers again, those were the glory days:)
    Thank you for sharing your life in a public way that helps so many others who may gain a new perspective through your experiences.

• Natalie Zambreski August 26, 2014 at 11:27 am

I love love her curls!

• Katie Compton August 26, 2014 at 11:28 am

Yippeee for a great first day!!!

• B August 26, 2014 at 11:29 am

My little boy started K last week. He sounds a lot like Kensington – is a Momma's boy and wants to be with me (and now his baby brother). Day 1 he was fighting back tears at the door, day 2 & 3 he was still a little apprehensive, and day 5 a full on melt down in the hall. Breaks my momma heart. Yesterday he was crying in the car before we pulled out of the driveway, but thankfully was better by the time we got there. I know he's fine, but it's hard watching him process it all. (And yes he went to 4k, but this is just a new school and 8-2:30 instead of his previous 3 hr days).

• beaner August 26, 2014 at 11:46 am

She is so sweet, I love the Smith was sad she was going! She will do wonderful in school, it's so hard on the mama's! I am a working mom and my kids don't get to spend everyday with me and I was still sad! They grow up so fast and I guess we have to try to enjoy every moment!

• Alison @ Get Your Pretty On August 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Awww, how sweet! So happy to hear that she was a brave girl. That makes is much easier on mama too. Love her curls!

• Alexis Cass August 26, 2014 at 12:09 pm

The arranged Kendington-Luke wedding is too cute!!

• Melanie Sognefest August 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Love her curly hair! What do you use to make her hair like that?'

• Melanie Sognefest August 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Love her curly hair! What do you use to make her hair like that?'

• Anonymous August 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Sponge curlers! You can get at CVS,Target

• melissabunny100 August 26, 2014 at 1:04 pm

She did great,this post makes my day!

• dresselfamily.blogspot.com August 26, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Awwwwww… A day to remember!!!!!

• Shesabigstar August 26, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I'm so glad she did so well and had a great first day! Thinking of you… these changes are hard on us mamas! xo

• Megan Patterson August 26, 2014 at 1:24 pm

So glad Kensington had a great first day!

• Jill Farmer August 26, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Hasshe seen The Princess Twins of Legendale? I believe their names are Dawn and Eve. 🙂

• Stephanie @ Tailgatequeen August 26, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Such a sweet post! Hope she had a wonderful first day of Kindergarten.

Steph
    gameday dresses at Tailgate Queen

• Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com August 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I'm so glad she had a great day! 🙂

• Liz/ August 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Oh sweet girl, she looked so cute on her first day and I am so happy she did so great!

• Meagan August 26, 2014 at 2:18 pm

She is just adorable. Good luck, Kensington!! And the shot of Smith being sad that she's off to school: too sweet!!

• Jaren August 26, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I know that's a hard day for a mom especially since you were at home with her most of the time. She looked so cute! And that pic of Smith made me tear up! End of an era and on to new and exciting school times…don't worry mama, you'll love her being at school and coming home to tell you everything she did!

• Tracy August 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

What a great first day! Yay!

• Darcy August 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Glad she had a great day! Loved her cute curls. 🙂

• Renae August 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm

How exciting Kindergarten, I sent my little on off to Kindergarten this week as well. Fun times ahead for sure!

• Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} August 26, 2014 at 3:20 pm

So happy that K's first date was such a success!!!! And I love those curls!!!!

• Dawn August 26, 2014 at 10:44 am

Great name choice ?

• Emmy August 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Such a sweet post! I'm sure she will have a great day. My 3 year old was devastated when we put my older son on the bus this morning, he wants nothing more than to do everything his big bro does!

• Julie August 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm

I'm so glad she had a great first day! Love her curls and that smile, she looks really happy.

How sweet that Smith was sad. You've done such a great job raising them to play together and be friends!

• Paula August 26, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Sweet post. I may have shed a tear or two…

• Tiffany {A Touch of Grace} August 26, 2014 at 7:14 pm

She is just adorable. My daughter will start preschool next year (maybe this year…we're on the waiting list) and just that thought makes me want to cry. I can't even imagine Kindergarten! She looks so happy.

• Sarah August 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Oh my gosh, I can only imagine, we're starting preschool in a couple of weeks over here and I get teary eyed just thinking about it. OH those sponge curlers…I spent countless hours in those when I was younger. Love it!

• Mandy M. August 26, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Glad she had a great first day, my little girl started KG this year too! It was so hard on me but she loves it! Please tell us how you get her hair to curl like that!

• Aubrey August 26, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Such a great interview! That will be treasured for years to come!

My heart aches for you and for Smith. Kensington is going to love every minute of it, but I think it's harder on the ones who are left behind!

• Jeanie August 26, 2014 at 11:16 pm

She looked happy to be going to school and looks so cute! Did she take Lucky to school with her?

• Laura August 27, 2014 at 1:39 am

She looked do cute! Where did you end up getting her shoes? They looked like the perfect shoe that is functional and cute!

• Slightly Askew Designs August 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

I still can't believe our babies our in Kinder! NExt thing you know we'll be sitting at high school graduation 🙂 hahaha Maybe that was a little dramatic – but still! Can't wait to do the "school years" with y'all!

• Haley @ Cupcakes and Sunshine August 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm

She is the SWEETEST! And smith too! love your sweet family. all the smiles an happiness and joy! 🙂 praying the first week continues to be great!

• {Hi Sugarplum!} August 27, 2014 at 5:36 pm

So glad she had a great first day! I hope the excitement continues for each day of the year!!

• Deena August 28, 2014 at 3:26 am

Very sweet! Hope she has a great year!

• Magnolia Mamas August 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Super cute! Love the questionnaire!

• cryercutie August 31, 2014 at 1:22 am

Where did you get K's dress? It is adorable!!