Fifty Two Shades of Shay: Favorite Makeup Part 2

Two weeks ago, I shared an updated list of my favorite beauty products and today, I’m sharing an updated list of my favorite makeup (and then, I think I’ll do hair products two weeks from today!).
Almost two years ago to the day, on March 25, 2013, I did my very first Shade of Shay and it was on my favorite makeup.  And listen, two years later, I still love, love, love everything I listed back then…but over the last two years, per many of your suggestions, I’ve tried a few new things, tweaked a thing or two and now, have a few more favorites.
As always, I looooooove suggestions from you ladies, so please let me know in the comment section what you can’t live without in your makeup drawer because I would love to try a few new things.
1. Bobbi Brown Tinted Eye Brightener: Someone suggested I try Bobbi Brown’s Tinted Eye Brightener as my concealer/highlighter and it was love at first use.  This blends in beautifully and really does brighten up my under eye area while also masking any dark spots.  I really, really, really love this as my concealer.  (I use the Bisque shade.)

2. MAC Haute & Naughty Mascara: I wouldn’t use anything else but MAC’s Haute & Naughty Mascara.  My favorite.  Lengthens, darkens, makes them look fuller with just one coat.  This is the only mascara I love.

3. Bobbi Brown’s Skin Foundation Stick: One day, I needed new foundation and when I was going around sampling types, the nice lady at the Bobbi Brown counter stopped me and asked if I had ever used one of these Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Sticks.  She said they were made for busy moms (hello?!) because you can just put it on, blend in with your fingers and go.  I tried some, loved it and have been using it ever since.  I love that it doesn’t spill or leak, I can toss it in my bag and use it either sparingly or all over if necessary.  Love.  (FYI: I wear Natural.)

4. Urban Decay’s Eye Shadow Primer: This Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer is an absolute MUST.  I might say this is my very favorite product.  If you use just a little of this, your eye makeup stays on forever without creasing.  This is a “can’t live without” kind of product.

5. MAC Lipstick: I’m a sucker for MAC lipsticks because they come in a bazillion colors, are less expensive than other department store brands and really stay on all day.  My favorite shade right now is Angel…a nice beigy-pink color.

6. Laura Mercier Eyelash Curler: I read about this Laura Mercier eyelash curler in a magazine years ago and bought one…and it’s my favorite.  I think it’s the unique shape that makes it exceptional when curling lashes.  I now have one at home and one in my gym bag…I just can’t go without it!

7. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick: I blogged about my love of these Cream Shadow Sticks a few weeks ago.  Now, Narci is hooked on them too.  My absolute favorite eye shadow!  You seriously can’t mess this up.  You rub it over your lids and bam, pretty eye makeup.  My two faves are Sand Dune and Golden Pink.

8. Laura Geller Bronzer/Blush: I bought this Laura Geller Bronzer/Blush combo several years ago and wear it every day.  It’s like a really pretty bronzer with a hint of blush (two for one!).  I love that it adds a nice warmth while also just a hint of color.  I wear the Sunswept shade and it’s true love.

So, there you have it…my updated list of favorite makeup products.  Don’t forget, you can see my original list here and if you want to see my updated favorite beauty products…

…click here.

I can’t wait to read your suggestions too!  Happy commenting :).

The other snow day, Smith asked if we could make Reindeer Food for a snack, and given that it’s March and not December, I convinced him to switch it to this instead…

…we made Lucky Shamrock Mix instead.  Click here for the fun.

XO

Print Friendly
  • Jen March 10, 2015 at 9:54 am

Love the urban decay primer!!! Definitely my fav product ๐Ÿ™‚
    Also for your hair product post you should try "it's a ten"!!!

• ClintandGina March 10, 2015 at 10:46 am

Love your Shades of Gray today. I'm a Laura Mercier girl now, but Bobbie Brown was my favorite for many years. Love the stuff!

The Wet Brush is AMAZING!!

Love reading your blog. I just started on myself ๐Ÿ˜‰

Blessings,
    Gina

• Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} March 10, 2015 at 10:50 am

Here's a little tidbit about me. I've NEVER curled my eyelashes. I'm going to have to try that eyelash curler!!!!

• ClintandGina March 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

I meant to stay I just started back to blogging myself ๐Ÿ˜‰

I blogged for years when I had one baby and then I fell off the wagon when I had a second! I climbed back on though and it is so FUN.

• Peyton March 10, 2015 at 11:15 am

I absolutely love my NARS blush in orgasm- great shade for anyone I think! I also have recently discovered urban decay's naked lip glosses….love! Smashbox foundation primer is a must :)!!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 11:24 am

Did you do skin products again or have they not changed? Neocutis I think??

• Heather March 10, 2015 at 11:24 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE Urban Decay eye primer!! It is beyond amazing!! Just a few things I cant live without – my Naked 2 palette and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara!!! I know you said how much you love the one you use now but I would definitely give the Too Faced a try….it is pretty amazing!!!

• Alyson C March 10, 2015 at 11:27 am

I've been dying to try the UD primer. Too Faced "Better Than Sex" Mascara is amazing. My eyelashes are not the best and I've received so many compliments since I began wearing this mascara about 2 months ago. It is about $20-25 but sometimes you can get the sample size when buying other products at Ulta/Sephora.

• Bethany Halpern March 10, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hi Shay, Here I am with my suggestion(s) again. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Not sure If I recommended Jane Iredale to you before or not. I have been wearing this brand for 10 years and nothing and I mean nothing compares. I'm in the beauty industry and I know makeup. People spend so much money on taking care of the skin on their face then just go and put on makeup with crappy ingredients… kind of defeats the purpose… You can't go wrong with anything from this line, but if you need some suggestions let me know. This makeup is worn by Jessica Alba and also Jessica Biel to name a few. You should check it out. I know it will become a favorite!

• Narci March 10, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Love that Bobbi Brown cream shadow!! You always have the best makeup suggestions!! โค๏ธ

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Yes! Too faced better than s** mascara is #craycray! I actually felt after my first application that I had mini weights or something on my eyelashes. In a good way. It told me it was so different than any other mascara I'd ever tried. Mega full, luxurious, get noticed lashes.
    My love is that pink egg shaped sponge- the beauty blender!! How could that thing be so much better than a regular makeup sponge?! But it is!
    I bought st Germaine recently but it might be toooo bold- a statement pink. Think ill switch it out for the angel, which the Mac lady said is a throwing your purse, easy to apply everyday pink, vs having to be super careful with applying st Germaine….

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Shay- what are your thoughts on the UD primer vs Nac's "painterly" eye pot paint primer thing…haha :)?

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Oops, that was MAC! Anyone out there have thoughts on these 2 products?!?!

• Catrina Annette March 14, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I have used both the Urban Decay primer and MAC's painterly eye pot. I loved Urban Decay but must admit it left my shadow looking "caked on" by the end of the day. I do not have this problem with the painterly eye pot. It is wonderful and I will not go without it. Hope this helps!!

• Laci Page March 10, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Ever since I read your blog and discovered Urban Decay shadow primer.. I haven't went a day without it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Erika Slaughter March 10, 2015 at 12:57 pm

What a good list!!! Now I need to try some new goodies!!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Hi Shay!! Love your blog! I was wondering if you could do a Shade of Shay on being positive/confidence. I would love to hear your advice on how to be more positive and being a confident person! thanks!!

• Anonymous March 15, 2015 at 9:45 am

Yeah that would be a great post!

• Melanie March 10, 2015 at 1:06 pm

YES, the Urban Decay primer has become my favorite as well! Great list:)

• Lauren Turner March 10, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Urban Decay primer! I use the "original" for everyday use, but for special occasions I use the "sin", it's a gorgeous sparkly primer that gives a more dramatic look!

I was just given the Elizabeth Arden mascara as a gift to try and I loooove this as well! I have never tried this one, or the Too Faced "better than sex", so I think those may be my next..

Thanks for sharing! I purposely read your blog daily ๐Ÿ™‚

• Summer March 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Definitely try Smashbox Photo Finish Primer! It is truly life changing. I use the clear and it makes your makeup go on 100 times better. I cannot live without it!

• Summer March 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm

• Andrea K March 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I totally agree. Love it!

• Angela Ellingson March 10, 2015 at 1:32 pm

You are like the big sister I've always wanted! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Love the recommendations!

• Jenny Perez March 10, 2015 at 1:36 pm

First of all thanks for the wet brush recommendation last week. My daughter has long thick hair and it works like a dream! It should be called the no crying hairbrush. ๐Ÿ™‚ Last year, my good friend recommended fresh sugar lip treatment. While I still like my Bobbi brown and mac lipsticks this has become my absolute go to. It goes on like the smoothest lip balm and feels so good. My favorite one is plum, but they have many good colors. Thanks for all the fun girl talk blogs this week!

• Kelly @ The OK Momma March 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I love my Laura Mercier lip gloss. "Santa" brought me a gift set (he's such a good shopper, that Santa) and I keep a gloss in my purse, one at home, one at my desk drawer…and on and on. It's the best stuff!

• Laura H. March 10, 2015 at 1:52 pm

What eyeliner do you use, Shay? I'm going to have to look into that MAC mascara! I use Clinique High Impact Mascara and really love it. It's relatively less expensive for a department store brand. Also, I absolutely LOVE Clinique's Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss in Black Honey. Seriously, look at the reviews on Sephora – everyone loves this gloss! Black Honey is the perfect color in my opinion. It's slightly darker than your natural lip color for a "just bitten" look that I love. The Almost Lipstick in Black Honey is also really great!

• Andrea K March 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Love a few of these products myself but have you tried Urban Decay Perversion mascara? Love it! And Nars bronzer in laguna is a fav too! I'm def gonna have to try a few of these! Thanks!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Shay,
    Have been wanting to purchase the clarisonic mia for a while now. Can any type of cleanser be used with it? Thanks!

• Emma March 10, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I have the mia and yes, you can use any cleasner with it!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Just got a mailer ULTA ad, and the MIA is going to be $79 on march 20! Down from $99. This NEVER happens! Time to buy if you need one!

• Rebecca Jo March 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I just got that bronzer/blush… love it!!!

• Melanie Lien March 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Apparently I need to adventure into the Bobbi Brown section. I have seen a few great reviews on things from that brand!

• Heather Boyer March 10, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Hi Shay!! You should try Sugar Lip Treatment. It has SPF 15 & I โค๏ธ?โค๏ธ it!! I use the original at bedtime and the tinted, Rose & Cherry, during the day. It's available & Nord & Sephora!!

• Hannah Long March 10, 2015 at 4:50 pm

laura mercier primer in radiance is awesome! the woman who did my wedding makeup used it on me that day and i haven't been able to stop. it gives a subtle glow and leaves your makeup looking gorgeous. i have gotten so many compliments on my skin since i started using it!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Thank you, Shay!! I ordered the eyelash curler, and 2 Bobbi Brown long-wear cream shadow sticks (golden bronze + sand dune… the pink looked too shimmery). Nordstrom has a promo code for a free Bobbi Brown foundation stick with a $50 Bobbi Brown online purchase so it was perfect timing! You may want to get one yourself, it's a travel size and they have "natural" ๐Ÿ™‚

• Crystal McDonald March 10, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Ordered the eye lash curler! My $5 Revlon curler isn't cutting it. It's actually pulling out lashes and rubbing my eyeliner off! Hope it works for me and I love it as much as you do!

• Anonymous March 10, 2015 at 6:34 pm

You have to check out Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed (at Sephora). I use the opal color. Makes your face glow! I also use it as an eye shadow and in the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them up a bit. Love it!

• Melissa March 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm

UD Makeup setting spray. I was very skeptical about this, but decided to give it a try after Molly Sims recommended it on one of her web videos and needless to say I'm totally hooked. This stuff really does work.

• Monica March 10, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I just ordered the eyelash curler. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Chic Coastal Living March 10, 2015 at 10:23 pm

OOOHHH that shamrock food looks yummy! Love your beauty picks!

• Debi March 10, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Hi Shay! Love your blogs! Our faves (myself & our 2 young adult daughters) are: UD All Nighter Spray–amazing stuff! Sets your makeup and stays perfect even through a nap! Smashbox Primer–feels so nice going on and preps skin so makeup goes on flawlessly. Clinique Almost Lipstick and lip gloss in Black Honey. Truly a color that looks great on all skin tones and is so pretty. Lastly, we love Lancome eyelash primer and Lancome Hypnose Drama WP mascara. We get lots of compliments on our eyelashes and it's all thanks to the primer and mascara combo! Blessings to you and your readers.

• mariana March 11, 2015 at 2:35 am

My favorite sephora items: (1) Sephora 12-hour liquid eye liner, (2)Bobbi Brown perfectly defined gel eyeliner, (3) Lancome double action eye makeup remover, (4)Sephora daily brush cleaner, (5) Nars lip gloss in chihuahua

• Anonymous March 11, 2015 at 2:36 am

I look up to you so much! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

• sarah mcclanahan March 11, 2015 at 3:29 am

I just became a fan of the Marc Jacobs eye liner. It stays perfect all day!! I have the pencil kind where you don't sharpen it.

• Anonymous March 11, 2015 at 3:41 am

I am a huge Bobbi Brown lover. It's all I wear, and the cream shadow sticks are my favorite too. You have to checkout the art sticks. It's like a crayon lipstick, but stays on so well. They have the best colors, don't smear and they are my new favorite lipsticks from BB.

• Anonymous March 11, 2015 at 5:14 am

Hey Shay! I looove everything you use! I have most of them, but I'm interested in trying out more of your faves! Hey I hate to advertise, but I was looking at this Etsy page called ShakufDesign, and they have beautiful handmade glass things for the home and as jewelry. I really love their blooming branches design and I feel that it goes with your kitchen! I think they're your style! You should check them out! ๐Ÿ™‚ Tell me what you think about their things…Oh and if any of you other readers happen to stumble across my comment, check it out too! Just wanted to share, anyone else have any Etsy shop suggestions? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sally Hepworth March 11, 2015 at 8:15 am

SO timely for me. I bought two of these products today–the haute and naughty mascara, and the Bobbi Brown foundation stick. Thank you! Love a recommendation!

• Anonymous March 11, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Shay, Costco online has the St. Tropez bronzing mousse right now for $27.99 +$1.99 shipping! It is typically $42 at Ulta or Sephora, so worth stocking up! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.costco.com/St.-Tropez-Self-Tan-Bronzing-Mousse-8oz.product.100161407.html

• Kathy Olson March 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

I've been using an eyelash curler since I was 13 years old:) But I would love to try the one you featured. I wonder if I could get the knack of it? It looks so different.

• Nikki March 12, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Love, love love Bobbi Brown! I'm always looking for an awesome mascara so i'll check into it!! Thanks for the post!! ๐Ÿ™‚ My fave lipgloss is NARS Scandal, it's a really fun pinky/red color!

• Amanda March 12, 2015 at 11:53 pm

FYI — The Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer is going to be 50% off at Ulta on March 21 as part of their "21 Days of Beauty" event.

• Mara Kreiling March 13, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Love reading through the comments and getting new ideas for make up. I've been using the UD eye primer for a couple years and love it. I need some more and was literally just about to run out on my lunch break and buy some at Ulta. Thanks Amanda for letting us know it will be 50% off next week- I'm going to hold off now!

• Anonymous March 13, 2015 at 4:16 pm

IT Cosmetics – Bye Bye Under Eye

I use it as concealer and eye shadow primer!

• Leslie May 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I'm a little late to the game here, but I bought the Bobbi Brown long wear cream shadow stick about 2 months ago, and I love it! I had been buying the 4 color pack of eyeshadow at Target (maybeline?) and wasting money because I was only using the gold color and then throwing it away. I love this cream shadow stick! With my hubby in med school and me in grad school, we're definitely on a budget, but this has been an excellent makeup exchange in my opinion! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Cassie August 21, 2015 at 8:54 pm

What brand/type of eyeliner do you use? I love the way your eyeliner looks…very natural.