Friday Favorites

Today, I’m linking up with NarciAndrea and Erika and sharing a few Friday favorites with you.  What are you guys doing this weekend?  I’d love to know!  It’s baseball, baseball, baseball over at our house.  Next week is our last week, and this mama is ready for a little commitment break :).
Okay…so, you ladies know how I sleep with my hair in a wet bun and wake up to my beachy/wavy/messy hair, right?  Well, many of you have said that this method works for you too…while others of you have said that it does not work.
One morning, Erika sent me a pic of her hair after sleeping in a wet bun with the caption “this is the same hair Jesus has”.  Listen, it was hysterical!  We don’t really know what Jesus’ hair looked like…but I can only imagine that it was kind of limp, long and lifeless…and as much as we love Jesus…I’m not sure he’s our hair inspiration.
So, when I read Erika’s blog on Monday and saw her hair tutorial for her beachy/wavy/messy hair, I thought I would share it with you girls too.  This is for those of you who can’t do the wet bun thing…

…to see her step by step tutorial, click here.
And to see my wet bun method, click here.

If you’re in the North Texas area the weekend of June 13, you should check out this Mission Reagan 5K and Fun Run!  Mission Reagan is one of my very favorite charitable organizations that is doing amazing work all over the world.  To see their story, click here.

Sitting in lawn chairs in a very muddy field in the rain watching our boys’ play baseball.
We were laughing so hard and the absurdity of it all that we were actually crying…one of my favorite moments from this week.
And speaking of baseball…
…how sweet is my little Astro?  I love this kid so very much.

My Lettuce Wrap Pasta Salad was a big hit this week.  Apparently, lots of us like to eat pasta salads for lunch during the week.  My question for you is…what else are you eating for lunch?

Lunch is my least favorite meal of the day.  I can get excited about breakfast and dinner…but not lunch.  I would love ideas and suggestions for what you’re eating for lunch (not your kids…but YOU!).  During the school year, I make a lot of omelets at home for lunch (because I can throw just about anything I have in the fridge in there and call it a day).  During the summer, we eat lunch outside by the pool most days…so I would love some suggestions.  Please comment with your favorite lunch ideas!!

I’m always blogging about what I like to read…so today, I thought I’d share with you Kensington’s favorite books…
…my girl is obsessed with Katie Woo :).  We read these sweet little books every single day and she never tires of them.  If you’re looking for cute books to either read to your little one or for an early reader to read alone, I highly recommend them.

Several of my girlfriends are twin moms and they started the cutest little t-shirt line called Multiplicitees
Look at these sweet faces…

…um, how cute are they?!  Let me be little.  Love it.

They also have these cute #twinmom and #tripletmom tees too…

And you don’t have to be a twin or triplet to wear one…

…see, they look cute on the singletons too ;).

You can find Multiplicitees here.  I just love my creative friends!

You just thought peanut butter went with jelly…it really goes with bacon and beef.  This weekend, it’s all about my Peanut Butter and Bacon Burger.
Have the best weekend friends!  See you Monday!

• Katelyn Sloan May 29, 2015 at 10:32 am

Ashby is seriously too cute! Love her face almost as much as that peanut butter burger ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy Friday!

• Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} May 29, 2015 at 10:32 am

Smith's baseball picture could not be any cuter!!!!!

• Narci May 29, 2015 at 10:51 am

I am pretty sure that there is nothing cuter than a 5 year old boy in a baseball uniform!!! Precious!! โค๏ธ

• Sarah Kuykendall May 29, 2015 at 10:56 am

Three things: I am going to order one of those shirts for my little guy who is growing up too fast; lunch is my least fave, too. We usually end up with a sandwich and fruit. Love the kid book recs, too! Happy baseball weekend. Same for me ๐Ÿ™‚

• Erika Slaughter May 29, 2015 at 11:09 am

Very well said about Jesus and my hair! Ha! Smith's baseball picture is so good!!!

• Christene Demers- Rowland May 29, 2015 at 11:17 am

Thanking you sharing Kensington favorite books. I never heard of Katie Woo… I clink on the link. How adorable are they. Going to order some for my Daughter. Great suprise for summer break. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

• kimm atwood May 29, 2015 at 11:36 am

There is nothing cuter than watching little boys play tball. I miss those days. Have a great weekend !

• Goodbyebreadandcheese May 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

My favorite pool lunch are lettuce wraps with hummus, good quality turkey lunch meat and some veggies like cucumber and red onion I n them. I've also tried your bun technique. I must have way to much hair because my hair was literally sopping wet when I woke up in the morning! Have a great weekend.

• Erika Lee May 29, 2015 at 11:53 am

What an awesome list of Friday favs, girl!! And thank you so much for supporting our little creative business, Multiplicitees! XOXO Play date soon!

• Kelly Guinn May 29, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Jesus hair. I. Am. Dying! That is my exact struggle with the wet bun method! I kid you not, I had straight hair my whole life, then moved to Texas for college and it became curly! What in the what? I've not really known what to do with the curl since then (and it's been 10 years) bless my heart.

Love Smith in his baseball uniform – little boys playing little league is just the cutest!

• Kelly Guinn May 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Oh! And I am a panini girl for lunch. Get really yummy bread, load it up with whatever makes you happy, and throw that sucker on the panini press. A toasted sandwich beats a cold one any day!

• buildingagrownuplife May 29, 2015 at 12:28 pm

My favorite lunch is a greek quinoa salad (This has mostly quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, and kalamata olives with a little bit of olive oil.)!

• Angie May 29, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I am a somewhat new follower and I am LOVING your blog!!! I get up each morning and as soon as everyone is out the door, I sit down to read it. I find myself telling my youngest daughter about some of your post on fashion (she is a fashion diva! ๐Ÿ™‚ ) I love your story and your faith. I LOVE reading about, and seeing those precious pics, of your kiddos! My two girls are pretty much grown. The oldest is 26+, engaged, and getting married in October. The youngest is 21+, seriously dating someone very special, will probably get engaged some time this year, and is a dental assistant working to become a dental hygenist. I love the recipes that your share! So, this is totally a comment not related to your post, but just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mix and Match Mama May 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Well goodness Angie! You made my morning :). Thank you!! Have the best weekend!

• Kate May 29, 2015 at 12:32 pm

For lunch, a blended gazpacho is an easy, fresh summer dish. You just throw everything in a blender and are good to go. It lasts for a few days, so making a big batch and using throughout the week is easy. There are so many varieties that you can use just about any vegetables, and even some fruits!

• Twin Talk May 29, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Thank you so much, Shay! Ashby is the cutest little model and thank you for your sweet words!! I love living in McKinney with you guys! Also – Jesus hair. HILARIOUS. If I can't find something to control this frizz, I'm moving north.

• Mama Of Boys May 29, 2015 at 12:50 pm

What a sweetheart in his smart baseball uniform, we don't play on this side of the pond but it's a shame coz I think Toddler would love it!

• Kjlb37 May 29, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Love the pic of Smith in his baseball uniform, couldn't be cuter:) Thanks for the book rec, I think my 6yo granddaughter will love these! For lunch, I love salads in any form and if I'm going to eat a sandwich it has to be a GOOD sandwich! One lunch fav is microwaved sweet potatoes and/or frozen non-dairy burritos from the organic section. We eat lunch by the pool whenever we can also;) Have a great weekend!

• Cara@HomespunKitchen May 29, 2015 at 12:53 pm

For lunch I steam up a ton of veggies and grill some chicken breasts on Sundays and then have lunch done for the week! Smith is such a handsome guy, love the baseball pics!

• dresselfamily.blogspot.com May 29, 2015 at 1:03 pm

I agree .. I wake up
    . check the time.. read your blog before I get out of bed!!!!
    cute pics. your kiddos are the sweetest!!
    my girls loved Junie b Jones .. I used to lol whilst reading them!!

• Sarah Shaneyfelt May 29, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Lunch isn't my favorite either!!! I'm a teacher so at school when I only have about 15-20 minutes for my whole lunch, I take turkey and cheese roll ups with unsweetened applesauce. I always have a piece of dark chocolate for dessert!

• Denise Holthaus May 29, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I'm a creature of habit and I probably have this salad, this exact salad for lunch 4x a week… Green leafy lettuce (chopped), 2-3 strawberries sliced, Gorgonzola cheese, chopped pecans, avocado, chicken (rotisserie) and Newmans Own Light Raspberry Walnut dressing. I love it!!

• Ann Marie May 29, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Erika's hair= my hair! ๐Ÿ™‚ Jealous of your gorgeous hair! Thanks so much for supporting our little business, Shay! Too sweet of you! And yes, I agree with Erika's comment.. play date or mommy date, soon! Ohh… and Meredith- You're not moving… what is she thinking? tehehe

• Baby Kate's Mom May 29, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I'm on a sandwich kick for lunch at work. Arnold sandwich thin + hellmans dijonnaise (so good!) + slice of provolone put in the toaster then add boars head deluxe ham + pickled jalapenos some days I add a few spinach leaves and/or tomato. My kids love boring lunches, plain ham, bologna or turkey sandwich on wheat bread with no crust with a few carrots sticks or chips and fruit and they are happy campers.

• Lindsay (LindsayWeighsIn) May 29, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I'm so looking forward to this weekend! We're watching my "niece" – my best friend's daughter, but I truly believe that you don't have to be blood to be family! So she's my niece! – on Saturday and I have such a fun, full day planned for her! I also have to echo the comment above – yours is one of my very favorite blogs! I look forward to your posts, and am often recommending your blog to others for its positivity and light. Plus, I'm currently on a journey to evaluate my faith more fully and hopefully begin a new relationship with Jesus. Your posts (especially your recent post about faith) really helped. By the way, Smith's baseball pictures couldn't be cuter! I hope y'all (this Pennsylvania girl still loves her y'all, haha!) have a wonderful weekend!!

• Jenny May 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

One of my favorite lunches is homemade pizzas on Flat Out tortillas. They have 9 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber and are only 90 calories for the tortilla. I just add sauce, veggies and a little cheese and it is a great, healthy lunch. I also love using sandwich thins and putting a little cheese on them and then putting them under the broiler to get it melty and then adding veggies to eat. I use a ton of spinach leaves also and it makes a very filling, low calorie lunch.

• Anonymous May 29, 2015 at 2:53 pm

I usually eat omelets for breakfast in the morning, and since I've started following your blog about 4 months ago, I've pretty much been making dinners based on your recipes (and every. single. one. has been a HUGE hit in my house!). I work in the city, so even though there are TONS of awesome lunch options, I'm a recent college-grad on a budget so I don't eat out very often. Usually the omelets (with lots and lots of veggies!) do a pretty good job of keeping me full until dinner, so I usually do super light lunches. Greek yogurt and berries, carrots/celery with hummus or Laughing Cow cheese, turkey and cheese rollups, etc. My absolutely favorite thing lately is to slice a bright green Granny Smith apple extremelyyyy thin, line the slices up on the bottom of a tupperware container, top it off with peanut butter and cinnamon, and repeat with another layer. I measure out the PB beforehand and put it in a ziploc baggie, and then just cut the end off and use it like an icing bag – works like a charm! It's healthy(-ish), colorful, and sooo good!

• Karen May 29, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Thanks for the Katie Woo recommendation- always looking for books for my 6 year old. Are these better for read alouds or can she read them Independently?

• Mix and Match Mama May 29, 2015 at 3:18 pm

They started as read alouds but now, K reads them independently. They have nice bright illustrations for those kiddos enjoying them out loud.

• Karen May 29, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Thank you!!

• Carly May 30, 2015 at 1:56 am

First grade teacher here! ๐Ÿ™‚ My girl students LOVE Katie Woo (and some of the boys too!). They are guided reading level H, which is about the expected level of a mid year first grader. Hope that helps!

• Anonymous June 1, 2015 at 7:51 am

Junie B Jones books are a staple in my sons first grade class and here at home too. You should check them out:)

• Mandy May 29, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I love a good salad for lunch. Field greens, fresh raspberries or dried cherries, hazelnuts, avocado and goat cheese with flavor infused balsamic drizzled on top (these can be found at an olive oil/balsamic specialty store; cinnamon pear is a fave)- yum! I also like wheat pitas spread with a good amount of hummus, topped with greens and other fresh veggies- a little open faced Greek pizza.

• Anonymous May 29, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Have any good recommendations for boys? Not sure if your son reads on his own yet. My boy is in K. Always looking for new books! Also, we do smoothies alot for lunch. So simple and I change them up daily!

• Julie Olesen May 29, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I love your blog! I've been dying to ask you a question….how do you get the white part of the Natives shoes to stay so white? My boys wear these shoes and the white part is scuffed and looks terrible!

• Chelsea May 29, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I can't wait to try the wet bun thing ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Friday
    Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/

• Alisha May 29, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Such a tease! The twin mom shirts aren't available ๐Ÿ™

I need to start eating more salad in general… Just got the goods to make your bacon & pea pasta salad!

• Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld May 29, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I just want to pinch Ashby's little cheeks!!!! She is the sweetest! What a blessing :o)

<3 Linds at LindsaysSweetWorld.blogspot.com

• Meggie @ My Grace-Full Life May 29, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Lunch is my least favorite meal of the day too! Lately I've been eating a big breakfast and just grabbing a hard boiled egg or two for lunch.

• Jenna Grace May 29, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Smith looks so so so adorable in those pictures! He is the cutest.

• thebusybrunette May 29, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Okay – first, you have the cutest family!! Second, I have a few lunch ideas for you!
    1) Buy sliced or chipped chicken breast at the deli counter and make chicken wraps! We especially love chicken Caesar wraps. I just use any kind of wrap (lately we've been using honey wheat), throw in some chicken, red onion, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, and Caesar dressing. Easy and yummy!
    2) Sometimes I just do a tray of mish-mashed stuff, like cheese and crackers, pretzels and red peppers with hummus, grapes, and apples. Simple and healthy.
    3) When I'm feeling "extra fancy," I'll pick up some croissants at the store and a rotisserie chicken. I'll cut up the chicken and mix it with celery, craisins, and walnuts. I add some mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to make chicken salad on croissants!
    Hope these ideas help!
    Have a great weekend!
    "The Busy Brunette"

• Leigh May 29, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Oh I'm always looking for fun kids books. Maybe my boy will like Katie Woo (he likes Ladybug Girl)…can you talk about some of Smith's favorite books too?

Why is lunch so difficult??? I always have a hard time figuring out lunch so I eat leftovers, a sandwich or a salad. Or a combination of those things. Super exciting stuff huh?

• Jeanie May 29, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I am not a lunch fan either, unless I'm going out to a restaurant with friends. I rarely eat lunch at home and have found a great salad at, of all places, McDonald's. I am by no means a fan of McDonald's food, but their Southwest salad with grilled chicken and balsamic dressing (Paul Newman's) is very good.

• Happylife38 May 29, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Haha, I think Jesus may be my hair rolemodel! With my crazy, unruly, frizzy hair mess, I'd welcome some limpness. (Sorry Shay, I by accident posted this comment under the wrong blog day).

• The Nelson Happenings May 29, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Adorable picture's of Smith playing ball and sweet Ashby looks so cute !!!

• Full Time Wife Life May 30, 2015 at 3:39 am

I tried the wet bun method (even had to step out the door and pay my lawn guy with a bun on top of my head haha) and ended up joking around with my kids that I was pretending to be a lion (after they asked me what I did to my hair)! Not my best look! Hahaha. I will try erikas, wish mine turned out! At least your recipes work well for me!!! Hehe

• Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living May 30, 2015 at 4:11 am

Cute baseball pics! Those were the good ol days when my boys were little ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tamara Rodrigues May 30, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Hi Shay – a great lunch I love is Mediterranean pitas – pita bread (slightly warmed), spread hummus on the pita, add lettuce, rotisserie or grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, olives, diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, red onion (or whichever of these you like). It's delicious! Sometimes I toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion in a bowl with red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper first but either way works!

• Tamara Rodrigues May 30, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Shay – I just commented about Mediterranean pitas and forgot to mention feta cheese as well!

• Anonymous May 31, 2015 at 3:18 am

Lunch is my FAVORITE, actually! Its when I'm super hungry and fill up on quality food. My current fave is Pioneer Woman's black bean burgers. I make a batch and freeze them individually so it is super easy to pull just one. I put it on toasted Ezekiel bread with Best Foods (the BEST! mayo) lots of shredded purple cabbage and red onion.
    For my side, i slice sweet potatoes on my mandoline, toss with EVOO, chili powder, garlic & onion powder, cumin and salt and roast at 425 till nice and golden. Or, ill do yellow squash & zuccini on my indoor grill pan for a veggie side. its the best lunch ever and i look forward to it everyday.
    The other reason I look forward to lunch so much is that is the time when I have my daily brownie! I like to eat light later in the day, so it works for me to do it at lunch. My mind has been blown away by 'Deliciously Ella's" raw brownies. 3 ingredients, all whole foods and it tastes like the real thing. I add cocoa nibs to mine for some texture & they are like chocolate chips. TOTALLY healthy! Her sweet potato brownies are amazing too.
    Phew, that was a lot, but like i said, i REEEEEALLY like lunch, hahahaha

• allisonwest May 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Last night weekend at our beach house I made buffalo chicken wraps for the boat–they were a great take along and I told a friend they wod be my new "thing" this summer. Cooked chicken breasts–I know you have ways you like to do this! In a bowl softened reduced fat cream cheese, finely sliced green onion, 2 ribs celery finely chopped, some garlic salt and 1/2 cup or so wing sauce. Combine and add chopped chicken. Spoon into tortillas, secure with a pick, freeze for 20-30 min then slice–I put picks in each slice. Put in your take along container and freeze until you are ready to go (20 min?) or fridge if longer. They held up well since they were so cold when we left the house that they were just right out of the cooler–not too messy and melty.

• Leslie Roberts Clingan May 31, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Love that Kensington is reading Katie Woo. Great choice. I am sure she has read or knows of Junie B. but another great but lesser-known, girl character is Kylie Jean, and the author Marci Peschke lives here in Texas. Tried to recommend the books to you on Goodreads but can't figure out how to do that. I have begun reviewing some of my favorite children's books on my blog…especially fairy tales. Would love for you to stop by. onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com

• Monica May 31, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Not sure if you read the blog "designer bags and dirty diapers", but she always has the best salad and lunch idea. My favorite salad EVER came from her. It's a Mediterranean Lentil Salad, you can make ahead and eat on all week. Here's the link. Enjoy! http://designerbagsanddirtydiapers.blogspot.com/2015/01/my-favorite-cookbooks-mediterranean.html?m=1

• Anonymous May 31, 2015 at 9:26 pm

My lunch that I pack for work is always green salad. I will add either grilled chicken leftovers or boiled eggs for some protein. I do not enjoy hot food for lunch. Weird huh? I also love wraps for lunch and they can be made ahead of time and just grab from the fridge. I love quinoa salads, too! My new favorite is here: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/asian-quinoa-salad/ I always take some in-season fruit to eat with lunch or as a snack mid-morning.

• Sara June 7, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I make this pasta salad a lot in the summer that I adapted from Rachael Ray: a pound of pasta, cooked and rinsed with cold water (I've been using that quinoa pasta and it's really good!). In a bowl, I mix a container of pesto with the juice of one lemon, then add in a big pouch of tuna (or 2 cans), green onions, halved grape tomatoes, a jar of chopped roasted red peppers, and salt and pepper. Then I mix in the pasta. Delicious! When I serve it (to myself for lunch all week), I put it over salad greens and put chopped almonds on top. If you don't like tuna, I'm sure you could use any protein!