You know the sign of a really lazy weekend? When you only take seven pictures :).
Andrew and I hopped on a plane Thursday afternoon and took a super short flight to Cancun (only 1hr 45min from Dallas!) for two days of relaxing…and apparently, it was relaxing because I just realized we only took seven pics…and two of those pics are of books I’m reading ;).
The last time the two of us went away together was almost 2 years ago (when we went to NYC), so it was time for two days of rest, relaxation and recharge.
We left in the afternoon and didn’t know exactly when we’d be there for dinner, so we ate a bite at the airport before we left. Any time we travel out of Terminal D, we eat here and snap a pic. Love this guy so much.
I CANNOT WAIT FOR MY BOOK REVIEW! This month, I’ve read the BEST books that I’ve read all year! I read Ali’s new book from cover to cover on the short flight. So easy to read, and so funny that I was actually laughing so hard in my seat that tears were streaming down my face. My book review will be on Monday!
We arrived and were ready to eat supper and chill out. We stayed at the El Dorado Casitas Royale per the recommendations of several friends. We were told it was an adult-only all inclusive with great food and a great spa. Win-win!
I sat here the next day and read. Again, this book was so good that I came home and ordered four more Hilderbrand books!
I mean…we should check out the spa, right? The two of us heading to the spa for massages.
And off to dinner that night!
The next day, I only took one picture (apparently, if my kids aren’t around, I fail to take pics). We slept late, stayed by the pool and I had a facial at the spa. After that, we headed to our last dinner before waking up at the crack of dawn to fly home.
That’s it! Listen, we’re taking a family vacation later this summer, and I can pretty much bet that I’m going to come home and bore you with 8,000 family pictures. We should all enjoy the short post while we can :).
I hope you had a wonderful weekend! It’s nice to getaway but it’s even better to be home.
Per your request, here are a few thoughts on our destination:
Several friends told us to stay at the El Dorado Casitas Royale in Riviera Maya, so that’s what we did. Some basic facts:
1. It was only an hour and 45 minute flight from Dallas to Cancun.
2. Once in Cancun, it only took about 18 to 20 minutes to drive from the airport to the resort. It was a really easy drive straight down the highway from the airport to the resort.
3. You can purchase transfers from the hotel before you go so that when you arrive, a van or car is waiting to take you there and you don’t have to use a cab.
What we loved about the resort:
1. Friendly staff that was very helpful!
2. Our room was very nice, clean, comfortable with all of the modern amenities you would expect from a nice hotel.
3. This is an all-inclusive that is known for their spa and food…and they were both excellent.
4. There were a wide variety of restaurants to choose from plus cafes, bars, and room service. The portions were small, but it was all you can eat everywhere you went. I really enjoyed every meal I ate.
5. I thought the spa was very nice and affordable. They offered a wide variety of spa services with a very knowledgeable staff. As far as spa prices go, I think it was moderately priced.
6. They made transportation around the expansive resort easy with drivers that were located throughout that would take you places on golf carts free of charge. If you didn’t want to walk, there was always a driver nearby that would assist you.
Things I didn’t really love:
1. We ordered room service for breakfast both mornings we were there and it took forever. The first morning, it took almost an hour and the second morning…it took 2.5 hours (YES!).
2. I hate to say this…but it wasn’t the prettiest beach. The resort and pools were gorgeous but the actual beach and oceanfront was less than desirable (not white sandy beaches). We overheard several people grumbling the same thing. My kids would have been very disappointed. (And I know time of year and weather conditions play a factor…so it could be more clear and prettier other times.)
3. Andrew and I enjoy water sports and they weren’t easily accessible. When I go to the beach, I want to be able to walk right out and paddle board, snorkel or use a jet ski, but it wasn’t convenient.
So, there you have it! Would I go back? Yes! For a weekend, it was a great pick for us because of it’s convenience. We really just wanted a nice pool to sit by with good food and a massage…and this resort scored all three.
Don’t forget, tomorrow is…
And this month’s bonus question is…What are you doing for the 4th of July?
Don’t forget to link up tomorrow with your post!
And if you’re looking for a little treat this summer…
…my Key Lime Pudding Pies should do the trick! This is a great make ahead recipe that you can do with your kiddos. No baking required!