Eight months with this sweet face.
How blessed are we?
This month, forever has been on my heart a lot.
Adoption is forever.
When you adopt a child…it’s forever. They’re yours. And as much as I knew this going into getting Ashby, I didn’t really understand it until I got her. She is mine forever.
I saw this quote on Pinterest this month and it spoke to me…
I think it’s important that Ashby understands this quote growing up. I know my bio kids are never going to question whether they’re mine for now or forever, so I really need to make sure Ashby doesn’t either. You don’t get to pick the tough stuff with any of your kids…and they’re all going to have some degree of tough stuff…but through it all, no matter what, I never want that sweet girl to question our commitment to her. She is ours forever. Adoption is forever.
We just love this sweet girl so much.
As for Ashby this month, one thing stands out more than any…Ashby and Smith are a great big giant MESS! That’s what month eight has taught me :).
These two are peas in a pod. Kensington and Smith have always been close…and Kensington and Ashby love playing together and are so sweet with each other…but Smith and Ashby? They give me a run for my money! They are ALWAYS together. They are ALWAYS touching each other. They are always either pushing/cuddling/shoving/playing/tattling/loving each other. We dropped off Kensington at dance the other day and Smith asked for a picture on this little bench…
…and then they kissed. Ahhhh…so sweet, right? And then later in that very same week, Andrea texted me a picture she took of them at the pool together…
…I mean to tell you. They are a MESS!
So, month 8 has provided us with many moments of joy, happiness and delight…but also with a little bit of trouble too. These two.
A few random facts about Ashby this month:
1. She visited the dentist again for her second time and totally rocked her appointment! She even let them do a complete cleaning and take x-rays! Woohoo!
2. Her new favorite thing to say is “fine” with an attitude. I’ll say, “Ashby, can you put your shoes away?”, and she’ll say, “fine” with her hand on her hip and everything. Needless to say, her English is coming along quite nicely.
3. Ashby has been having nightmares this month, which is new for us. She’s only had about four and they’ve all been around the same time at night…but it’s sad because she’s unable to articulate exactly what’s wrong, but you know something scary happened in her dreams. After we love on her, she always goes back to sleep peacefully for the rest of the night. As amazing/adjusted/happy as she is today…we have to remember that she spent 2.5 years in an orphanage, so who knows what she saw/felt/heard during that time.
4. Ashby is the slowest eater ever. I mean…ever. If they were handing out gold medals for slow eating, Ashby would win. The four of us hang out at the table as long as we can after dinner…but sometimes, I excuse the other two kiddos because Ashby’s marathon eating can last a good long time. One reason it takes her so long? She talks too much instead of eating :).
5. She loves doing anything outside! Blowing bubbles, swimming, playing on the playground, and especially riding her little tricycle. She’s an outdoor girl for sure!
6. Ashby is our night owl…not our morning person. Ashby likes to stay up late and even blossoms more the later the night get. She gets an extra boost of energy while the rest of us are all winding down. And then in the morning, my big kids like me to wake them up early so that they have a lot of time before school (because they don’t like being rushed out the door…they’d rather wake up early and have a slow morning)…but Ashby would rather sleep in and then wake up and go straight into the car or wherever. She does not enjoy waking up early for any extra time. She wants to sleep :).
This little pumpkin is so much joy! She has her own BIG personality and holds her own in our house.
I mean…I just can’t imagine doing life without her. She is ours. Forever.
To see our other posts on adoption:
Post Adoption: Month 7
Post Adoption: Month 6
Post Adoption: Month 5
Post Adoption: Month 4
Post Adoption: Month 3
Post Adoption: Month 2
Post Adoption: Month 1
Meeting Ashby for the first time: here
All of our China travel posts: here
All adoption posts: here
And because I’m celebrating September…
…today, I’m featuring some of my favorite Cozy Fall Food.