Three Things Right Now: With the Shulls

Andrea has a series called Three Things Right Now where she notes three things that are happening to each family member (and often the dog) right this minute.  I always enjoy it when she does this series, so she said I could borrow the idea too (to see her most recent Three Things, click here).
Here we go, Three Things Right Now with the Shulls…
Kensington
1. Kensington tends to be really shy and reserved, so we have been super impressed with her stepping out of her comfort zone this month. First, she did a fantastic job at the school’s variety show and then, on Saturday, during halftime at Smith’s basketball game, they played rock, paper, scissors with the entire gym (that’s four teams worth of family/friends) and as you lost, you sat down.  Well, Kensington came in third place, so she had to go to the middle of the gym floor in front of everyone to keep playing…and she did!  Erika looked at me and said, “is she going to go out there?” and I was like “I don’t know???” and she did!  (And I’m pretty sure Erika and I were both beaming so proudly that we were about to cry.)
2. Kensington loves to do anything crafty/artsy/glittery at home.  After school, she loves to work on a little project after completing her homework.  All this girl needs is some construction paper, scissors and a little time and she’ll whip up a craft.
3. Right now, Kensington takes jazz and tap as her extracurricular activities.  It’s been so much fun to watch her tap around the house or come home and show me some new leap or turn from jazz.  Ballet just was not her thing…and it actually made her cranky about dance in general…but now that she just takes tap and jazz, she loves it!
Kensington Kate is just getting so much bigger, our conversations are getting deeper, her comprehension of life is so much richer…she is such a joy to be around.  This girl is full of emotions that keep me on my toes (and often keep my patience tested), but boy…she is full of love, hugs, kisses, and cuddles.
Smith
1. Smith is my chatty kid.  This boy does not stop talking…and we relish it.  From the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep, he is talking non-stop about anything and everything.  He wants details about even the littlest things…he’s very curious, always interested and like a sponge.  He has loved kindergarten.  He comes home every day with stories about what he’s learning, about his friends, about things he sees and observes.  He is just so sweet and innocent at this stage in life and I wish I could bottle it up and keep him this way forever.  On the way home from school on Wednesday, we were walking back and he was telling me how he played Ghostbusters with his friends at recess.  Oh how I wish he would stay little and play Ghostbusters forever.  It was just so cute and innocent.
2. After school, Smith wants to be building Legos or playing outside.  He wants to get his homework done quickly so he can move on to something else.  He’ll grab a snack and head off to do either activity as soon as his homework is over.
3. Right now, Smith is playing basketball through Upward Basketball and loves it.  For his birthday in January, we got him golf clubs and he is really into that too.  Smith and Andrew have been heading to the driving range to practice hitting and putting.  In the spring, he’ll play baseball and then this summer, he wants me to sign him up for every camp I can.  I told him he could pick two…and as of now, he says he wants basketball and golf camps.  Kensington wants nothing to do with a camp, but Smith would go all summer long if I let him.
Smith William loves being the only boy in our house.  He gets attention from both sisters and his mom and dad (and he loves it!).  Watching him this year mature through kindergarten has been so much fun!  He has made friends, learned so many new things and still loves waking up and going each day.  It’s so much fun getting him from school each day and listening to him tell me all about it.
Ashby
1. Ashby has come so far in the last year.  This kiddo found her place in our family and owns it.  Most days, it’s just the two of us and she makes it really easy.  Ashby is super laid-back, easy to please, doesn’t fuss or complain, and up for whatever we have going on.  We wake up, get dressed, head out the door and enjoy our little adventure for the day.  I missed the first 2.5 years with this girl, so I really soak in every minute that I get with her now.
2. Ashby has finally gotten into Disney Princesses which is so much fun…and a little annoying for her brother and sister ;).  She pretty much belts out Let It Go 24/7.  The other day, I was driving Ashby and Bowen around and didn’t even notice that she was singing it until I heard Bowen say “Ashby can you sing another song?”. Ha!  Yes, Bowen, she can.  But no Bowen, she won’t.

3. Ashby is such a little mommy.  Her nap routine now takes us a full five minutes longer because that’s how long it takes for all of her “babies” to get into bed for their naps too.  She has three babies that nap with her every day.  She tucks them in, kisses them, prays with them…it’s this whole routine that we do before each nap.  She’s really sweet with those babies :).

This week, we have another big appointment with our radiologist about another procedure to be done on Ashby’s hand.  Ashby London is one tough cookie and I’m always so amazed at how well she does at these appointments.  She really tries not to let her hand get in the way of her day to day life.  She was trying to use her hand to cut with scissors the other day and that’s huge because typically, she’ll just use her left hand.  Some things are challenging…she can’t push herself up very well because she doesn’t like to put weight on her right hand and arm…but overall, she does a great job compensating.

Poppy

1. Poppy Popsicle Shull will be four this April.  She’s a coton du tulear.

2. She goes to work with Andrew every single day and sleeps under his desk.  It’s the funniest thing because people never know she’s there…she just chills out under his desk when clients are in there and then when it’s just them and the office staff, Andrew will play fetch with her down the hallway of his office.  It’s a long hall and she runs up and down retrieving her ball.  She has a little bed and water bowl…she owns the joint :).

3. Poppy is so friendly, so happy, so chill…she’s a really sweet dog.  On Saturday, I was folding laundry and Ashby walked by the door with Poppy on her leash.  I asked her what she was doing and she said Poppy wanted a walk.  So, Ashby “walked” her around the house.  This dog has patience :).

Andrew

1. This picture is from last week when Andrew spoke at our church’s monthly Man Up breakfast.  He has such a heart for our church, for his ministries, for mission trips and for the Lord and how He’s working in and through him.

2. Speaking of mission trips, Andrew is gearing up for another one this spring.  He has such a passion for international mission work and it ministers to so many…including me!

3. Speaking of trips…he’s also going on a trip this month with my brother and their friends.  Our kids have had zero interest in skiing or winter sports until now when we’ve been visiting our local ski store to get Andrew gear (three Saturdays in a row!)…at this moment, all three of our kids think they’re going to grow up and be Olympic skiers.

I’m a big fan of Andrew Shull ;).  I am the crazy one around here…very hyper, always going 90mph, kind of nutty at times and he is always calm, cool, collected and even tempered.  Everything he does, he does well and makes it look really easy.  Andrew is the one who makes me laugh the most, who helps me the most, who supports me the most…he’s my favorite person in the world. xo

Me

1. The picture says it all: me walking home from school squeezed between my three babies…this is me doing my favorite thing…being a mom.

2. At this moment right now, my mind is on The Bachelor from last night.  There are like four girls who I would be happy with Ben picking.  All I will say about last night is that the Bahamas have never looked like a more miserable place to visit (oh geez, that show did nothing for that beautiful island!  Bless the Bahamas heart!)…and nothing says tropical like farm animals…

3. Once we get past Valentine’s Day, I’m ready to skip to summer.  Give me warm weather, give me the pool, give me shorts, give me swimsuits, give me wedges, give me lazy days with my kids…as much as I love, love, love cold weather…once I’m past this week, I’m ready to fast-forward to June.

So, that’s our three things right now!  Thanks for the idea Andrea!!

On my foodie blog today…

Ritzy Chicken Casserole.

A yummy supper your whole family will love!

Print Friendly
  • Erika Slaughter February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

I felt terrible while I watched. Terrible for all the girls looking like "Cousin It" because their hair kept blowing in their face and terrible that the planned date was to SWIM WITH PIGS!!

• Narci February 9, 2016 at 11:28 am

Oh, this is SO FUN!! Loved hearing about your precious family and their "three things"! Also, so proud of Kensington, too!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ruth Poat February 9, 2016 at 11:39 am

Just finished watching the bachelor here in Australia. For once we are only "hours behind the U.S. " You're so right about The Bahamas. That episode for sure did nothing to increase tourism!!! The poor girls and their hair…what a mess!!!

• Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} February 9, 2016 at 11:41 am

Well, I loved everything about this post! So sweet to read your thoughts on each of your loved ones. And I laughed out loud at Bowen's comment to Ashby. Those two together are just precious!

• Paige February 9, 2016 at 11:41 am

I'm ready for spring at least! But here in PA we have a long time to go! I love your love for your husband!

• Phi Mai February 9, 2016 at 11:45 am

Love love love this! Go Kensington for getting out of her comfort zone!! Smith is absolutely adorable and such a wonderful brother! & Praying that everything goes well for Ashby's procedure! She is so brave and has gone through so much at a young age! You guys are so blessed!! She is absolutely adorable and I love reading your updates on her! You and Andrew are such great parents!! I hope one day when I have/adopt kids, I will be as great as you guys! Also, Andrew on a mission trip?!! I have always wanted to do a mission trip! He should definitely do a Q&A on your blog about it. I would love to learn more and how to get started. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have a great day today and please pray for me because I have a genetics exam today and I'm so sleep deprived from my hectic schedule!

• kimm atwood February 9, 2016 at 12:17 pm

It's always so great seeing our kids step out of their comfort zone

• Dana Pearson February 9, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Speaking of spring/summer (which I am so ready for too)… Can you put together a post on swimsuits for us ladies? I'm having a terrible time finding any cute ones for a good price. I'd love to know where other ladies shop for some swimsuit options besides Target, Nordstroms, and Victoria Secret. I want to purchase a new swim suit now, for workout motivation through the rest of winter ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Aja February 9, 2016 at 11:23 pm

I don't know where you live, but if you have a Dillard's they have great suits. Now granted I live in Florida so there are swimsuits in pretty much every store, but some of my favorites have come from Dillard's. I also like some bra-sized tips from Athleta as I have a large chest and that can be difficult to find coverage for. Good luck!

• Aubrey February 9, 2016 at 12:34 pm

These three (fifteen?) things made me smile! Also, Kensington, Ella, and Kate have waaaaaaay too much in common.

• jthmas February 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Yes, give me June RIGHT NOW!!

• Chasity Munn February 9, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Ashby!! I want to be "tall". How precious!
    My little doesn't love ballet either, but she's required to take it. She suffers through ballet class then really shines in tap.

• Tracy February 9, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Love these posts! Andrea should make this a series so we can all link up! Think she'd mind if others borrowed this idea? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rebecca Jo February 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I love that Ashby is now into Disney Princesses! Its the important things in life she needs to know ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep… the Bahamas didn't get any good credit from the Bachelor last night – unless you like horrid wind, drizzly rain & pigs chasing you down.

• Angela Ellingson February 9, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Love. Hey, does your church tape the Man Up speakers and put them online? Happy Tuesday!

• Lauren Bullock February 9, 2016 at 3:34 pm

You make it all look so easy. When I have kids, and become a wife, I hope I can handle it as gracefully as you do. You are perfect and Andrew seems like the perfect husband, ever. So inspiring.

• Mix and Match Mama February 9, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Listen, we are anything but perfect. I do think we're perfect for each other though :).

• Leigh (Balancing By Faith) February 9, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Haha, Bowen's comment on Ashby's singing cracks me up!! And the thoughts on Andrew — such love!!

• Dani Lewis February 9, 2016 at 6:00 pm

What a fun post! I might have to something like this on my blog. Love that you included Poppy ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mama Of Boys February 9, 2016 at 6:19 pm

That was fun, a lovely insight into you and your loved ones, thanks for sharing x

• Kari February 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I think this is the first time in Bachelor history where I have genuinely liked most of the girls that are left! I was really happy with the first two he got rid of last night! I honestly do not remember Leah from past episodes at all, but man she was awful last night!

• The House at 210 February 9, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Such a fun idea and I agree, lets move right on to summer.

• Courtney Middleton February 10, 2016 at 12:48 am

I absolutely love reading your blog! I read it daily and think it is funny, refreshing and down to earth. Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

I've noticed you post pictures of your family events. Do you take these pictures on your iPhone then download them to your computer in order to post via Blogger? I'm trying to find an easier way to transport iPhone pics to Blogger ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks in advance for your help! xx cmm

• kelly February 10, 2016 at 1:20 am

I love this!!! I love reading about your wonderful little family and getting to "know" their personalities!! Thank you for sharing!! You're all so beautiful! !

• Valerie Trumbower February 10, 2016 at 5:24 am

I have six year old twins who are obsessed with legos! I created this tray to contain their creations when they're building. I've started selling them on etsy. Just wanted to post a link in case you've stepped on one too many legos are looking for something like this ๐Ÿ™‚ https://www.etsy.com/shop/1600squares

• Callie February 10, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Ha, I love Ashby's wish for when she grows up. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Megan February 10, 2016 at 10:37 pm

These are my favorite posts!!!