All about Kensington.

Today’s post is all about Kensington.

13578848_1243509758994920_1486921156_n

Because I do adoption update posts and share health info about Ashby quite a bit, I thought I’d do two extra posts on those special big kids of mine and tell  you a little more about them.

Today, our sweet Kensington.

09 05 May Kensington's 8 Month photos 055

Kensington Kate will be 8 in less than two months.  Eight?  How did that happen?  These first eight years flew by…and I know I’m going to close my eyes and the next eight years will too. #someoneholdme

Kensington is a lot like her mama and daddy…she likes hobbies, passions and things to do.

Right now, Kensington’s favorites are…

IMG_3394

Dance

IMG_2313

American Girl Dolls

IMG_2699

Basketball

IMG_4793

Bike Riding

IMG_5105

Tennis

IMG_4455

And swimming.

Kensington also ALWAYS has a book with her (kind of like someone else I know…).  She keeps one in the car, it’s next to her seat at dinner, it’s in her bag, on her bed…it’s everywhere.

Something that surprises people about Kensington is that she is really shy and quiet until you get to know her, and then she’s a firecracker.  She has a big personality, but she reserves it only for those she loves the most.

IMG_5137

All of those books that talk about qualities of a first born…well basically none of them apply to Kensington (they all sound like Smith!)…she is much more laid back, easy going, and spontaneous than what’s often described in those books.  She likes a little clutter, she likes things that are sentimental, she likes to collect things, keep things and appreciate things.  Her room has a lot of character because of all of the random stuff she likes to keep that’s special to her and means something.  That’s just who she is…a girl who is sentimental about many things.

IMG_3334

Right now, if you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, she says a baker.  She wants to own a bakery that also sells coffee.  How precious is that?!

IMG_4813

Where Smith is practical and very realistic…Kensington is almost magical.  She loves to talk about mermaids, fairies and unicorns.  When her brother points out that they’re not real, she’ll say things like “You haven’t not seen them have you?  So you don’t know.”  He never has a response for that.  A blog reader told me one time to leave a glass of milk out next to their bed when they lose a tooth and then the fairy will dip her wing in it and the next morning, you’ll know what color fairy you had by the color of the milk.  Well, Kensington buys this hook, line and sinker while Smith says things like “that looks just like mom’s food coloring”.  Those comments don’t even phase her.  She’s my optimistic kid.  Full of hope and joy.

IMG_4470

Kensington is fiercely loyal to her family and friends.  She is the first to defend someone, stand up for someone and love on someone.  She is also always so happy when her friends succeed.  For example, anytime one of her friends wins the cannon ball contest at the pool, she’ll shriek louder than they will.  She is always so happy for others!

IMG_2923

This kid isn’t perfect…but who is?  We have our challenges and moments too…but her heart is so sweet, her love is so strong and her personality is so unique.  She is an absolute delight.

IMG_2274

I asked Kensington some of her favorite things right now:

Favorite color: Turquoise and Purple

Favorite TV show: Liv and Maddie

Favorite movie: Harry Potter

Favorite food: Shrimp Fried Rice

Favorite place to visit: France

Favorite part about school: my teachers

Favorite part of summer: staying up late

Favorite thing about Smith: He does whatever I say. (Side note, Smith was listening to me ask her these questions and his exact words were “It’s a shame mom, but it’s true.” Ha!

Favorite thing about Ashby: She shares

What one word describes you the best: Happy

Just a little Kensington for your Monday.

I prayed for this kiddo for a very long time…and God answered above and beyond.

xo

Print Friendly
  • Melaney July 18, 2016 at 4:48 am

I think this was one of your sweetest post. You are a lucky and blessed lady. She seems like pure joy. I am one of the unfortunate ones that it just never happened. However, I love to watch other mamas like you and Andrea (love your blogs) do it so well. You have lucky kids. I am blessed with lots of nieces and nephews that I get to love on so that helps. Good job mama. Can’t wait to read your Smith post.

• Narci Dreffs July 18, 2016 at 5:24 am

I love Kensington so much! This post was perfect and totally her. I love her tender heart am so thankful for her and you!! Good job, mama!!

• jamie July 18, 2016 at 5:39 am

oh how i loved hearing about kensingston! i love that smith admited he does what she says! i wonder if he’ll ponder that and change that tune. so funny. and the milk with food coloring idea?!!?!! where were these ideas when my girls were little? thank god for my sweet granddaughter and the fact that we can do that with her. ALSO i think a little glitter would add to the colored milk, yes?!!?! have a fantastically beautiful monday. when i think about ashby i’ve been praying for her upcoming procedures.

• Regine Karpel July 18, 2016 at 5:45 am

Love.

• Erika Slaughter July 18, 2016 at 5:51 am

Hahahahaha!!!! I’m cracking up at all the Smith comments. I can just hear him say each and everyone. Too funny! Kensington is one of our favorite people. The sweetest heart and she’s always up for a laugh! Ebby Lee would add she knows how to be a killer BFF. 😉

• Ashleigh Bielecki July 18, 2016 at 5:54 am

“It’s a shame” Hahaha. Smith just made my morning! So funny!

• Stephanie Spring July 18, 2016 at 6:22 am

So, so sweet! I love these answers and pictures of her! Oh my goodness..Smith’s comments! Such cute kids Shay! 🙂

• Sheaffer July 18, 2016 at 6:35 am

Such a sweet post! And I died at the “It’s a shame” comment. That is hysterical and SO SMITH! K looks so grown up in all the pics. Our babies became big kids in the blink of an eye! xoxo

• Rebecca July 18, 2016 at 6:36 am

So sweet! She is beautiful on the inside and out! My Ellie will turn 8 in November and I too can’t believe how stinkin’ fast the time is flying by. Oh, and we ordered 2 bows from one stop bow shop- love ’em- Thanks! Also, made your sausage rolls ups and my son loved them. Thanks for your awesome blog! Have a great week:)

• Daniele July 18, 2016 at 6:37 am

What a sweet post and delightful daughter you have! I love the way you have highlights her brilliant qualities. Count your blessings! I know you do!

• Andrea M July 18, 2016 at 6:43 am

One of my favorite posts from you. What a precious daughter you have!

• Darcy Sexson July 18, 2016 at 7:05 am

Oh my gosh, how cute is Kensington’s comment about Smith and vice versa. 🙂 Such a fun post, and one I’m sure she’ll love reading back on.

• Rebecca Jo July 18, 2016 at 7:12 am

I so adore she has a heart for magical things… keep that precious girl.
    & Smith’s comment about “its true”.. .I totally LOL’ed at that one!
    Your girl is nothing short of BEAUTIFUL – inside & out

• Megan July 18, 2016 at 7:25 am

Well this is just the sweetest way to start my Monday morning!! Love hearing extra details about miss K!! And I couldn’t be prouder that her favorite movie is Harry Potter!! Good pick girl!

• Angie July 18, 2016 at 7:28 am

SO SWEET!! She’s sounds like the sweetest little girl.

Kensington has several qualities that my oldest daughter has. Being fiercely loyal, very sentimental (collecting things, keeping things, appreciating things), and always defending or standing up for someone are so my Erin! Sounds like they could have been sisters. 🙂

• Natalie Clark July 18, 2016 at 8:09 am

Love this! After seeing so many pictures of your kiddos and obviously thinking they are the most adorable, I love getting to know them a little better. Kensington sounds like an absolute jewel!

• Emily July 18, 2016 at 8:10 am

This is just the sweetest – I definitely teared up reading about the milk & the color of the fairy! So sweet!

• Jill Myers July 18, 2016 at 8:11 am

How wonderful of you to provide us with more insight into your lovely little gal’s personality. She seems like a ray of sunshine! (I also loved Smith’s comment about him doing whatever she wants him to. Funny!)

• Alison July 18, 2016 at 8:54 am

She is absolutely precious!!

• Lindsey July 18, 2016 at 8:55 am

What a sweet way to start this Monday morning! Kensington sounds like the sweetest 🙂
    I just have one question…May I please come work for K when she opens her bakery/coffee shop? We have the same dream. I mean, I’m only 25…that’s still reasonable, right?! Haha!

• Jenny Behn July 18, 2016 at 9:06 am

I teared up for this entire post. You are blessed. Being a mother is so special!

• Sara F. July 18, 2016 at 9:07 am

I love that her favorite movie is Harry Potter! and her and Smith’s comments towards/about one another… too funny! There is nothing like a brother/sister bond. <3

• Carrie July 18, 2016 at 9:07 am

Take her to the Denver aquarium where they have a mermaid show. My (almost 7 yo) son is very much a black and white, non imaginative kid and he was speechless when he saw them. He will still argue with his 4 yo sister that they aren’t real but she says “well I saw them, didn’t you?!” He shuts about them. Haha

• Julie July 18, 2016 at 9:12 am

What a joyful way to start a Monday! Thanks for sharing such love with us.

• Genevieve Graham July 18, 2016 at 9:30 am

She sounds so sweet! I hope i have a little girl just like that- full of magic and love!

• Kara Smith July 18, 2016 at 9:35 am

Oh I just love this post. How in the world is she going to be 8 soon? That’s crazy to me. She is the sweetest girl and we just love her!

• Sarah @ Foxy's Domestic Side July 18, 2016 at 10:04 am

So stinkin’ sweet! Your kids are just adorable!

• Kary Delgado July 18, 2016 at 10:33 am

My girl shares the same birthday on September 15th, she will be 9. She is so similar to how you describe Kensington! I know they would be great friends. Such a sweet post. ❤️

• Sandy Manning July 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

She is precious and you did a great job describing her. Smith’s comment at the end was priceless! You forgot to say Kensington looks exactly like your Mom!!!!

• Sara P July 18, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Oh, what a treat hearing about your older ones. Sounds like a precious heart with a good measure of fun and flair!

• Lindsay July 18, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Oh Shay, what a little darling you’re raising! You have definitely been blessed above and beyond! I can’t wait to hear all about Smith as well!

• emily July 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Kensington sounds like such a doll! How fun will it be to look back on this post when she is older?!

• Lara B July 18, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I love that!! It made me smile so big!!! She is an amazing little lady.

• Melanie July 18, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I love these posts. She sounds like such a sweetheart!

• MelanieL July 18, 2016 at 1:46 pm

So sweet, I enjoyed learning more about Kensington! She reminds me of my first born who is 11. Lol at Smith’s comments, little brothers are the best!

• Lauren @ Oh Hey! I Like That! July 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Love this post! What a sweet girl!

• Elizabeth July 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Has she ever read the book “Wonder”…she sounds like she might move it! I highly recommend it for all ages.

• Valerie July 18, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Sweet Kensington! Thank you, Shay, for continuing to share your precious girl with us!

• Ruth July 18, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Goodness, Shay, Kensington is a beauty – inside and out!

• Aubrey July 18, 2016 at 4:31 pm

What a sweet post to come home to! Our firstborn daughters have a LOT in common!

• Blair July 18, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I’m just curious if you asked her if you could share all that online to everyone. I was also shy as a child and hated my mother sharing things about me with her friends. I always ask my children if it’s ok to post things about them or use their pictures.

• Jeanie July 18, 2016 at 5:44 pm

That was so sweet. I just love her picture poses — just like a model. And you forgot to mention that she’s beautiful.

• Lisa Richardson July 18, 2016 at 10:34 pm

What a precious post. She sounds like quite the little lady. 🙂 And Smith sounds like a hoot!!!

• Angela Ellingson July 18, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Love this! Such a sweet girl. Really great questions. I especially loved the ones about her siblings. 🙂

• Loni July 18, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Oh Shay, that is such a sweet post about our big baby girl. After you do a few posts about Kensington and Smith. I’d love to also know what is was like for you and Sean growing up. Were you close? How did you spend your summers? Did your parents take you on as many vacations and to as many places as you and Andrew take your kiddos? You share so much about your life now and your lovely little children, that I am curious to hear how your childhood/teenage years were? Thanks for all the inspiring and fun posts! Happy almost birthday to Kensington!

• Meredith July 19, 2016 at 12:58 am

Such a sweet post! I think I can relate with Kensington. I only open up to people I know well and am comfortable with…but fiercely loyal to them as well! She sounds like a darling girl. So glad you have her! I struggled with infertility for a few years and am now 15 weeks pregnant so I’m looking forward to what our future kid will be like! 🙂

• Paula July 19, 2016 at 7:36 am

What a very sweet post! Kensington is lovely & has the sweetest heart! I so love her taking Smith’s comments with a grain of salt. Her spirit reminds me of that Martina McBride song, “Never Lose Your Sense Of Wonder”.

• Jenny July 19, 2016 at 10:53 am

What a sweet post! I love all of her little answers! And Smith’s! Haha!

• Adrie July 19, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Will you share what books K likes to read? My daughter is the same age and I’d love some suggestions. Thanks! Also, it was a lovely post!

• Meghan July 20, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I’m the first born and like Kensington, I’m not much like what the books said I should be like, I love my sentimental things, I’m quiet until you get to know me and then you’ll wish I was & I am fiercely loyal to my family and my close friends.

• Amanda July 22, 2016 at 8:11 am

Sooooo…do you have a recipe for K’s fav shrimp fried rice?! I’d love to know how the hibachi restaurants get it SO yummy!