What’s Up Wednesday {12/21/16}

whatsupwedupdated

Once a month, my friends Mel, Sheaffer and I host this link up where we share some random and fun stuff that’s up with us today.  If you blogged WUW too, make sure you link up at the bottom of the post!  Every month, we answer these questions…

wuwquestions-edit

…in our What’s Up Wednesday posts!

So, let’s get started!

1: WHAT WE’RE EATING THIS WEEK:

Christmas Morning Menu

Yesterday, I shared our Christmas Morning Menu.  You can make this on Christmas morning or Christmas Eve too.  One of my favorite traditions is enjoying breakfast and coffee while the kiddos play with their new toys.  See the menu HERE.

And today, I’m sharing…

All About Appetizers

All About Appetizers!  Looking for a quick little appetizer recipe this week?  Look no further than HERE.

2. WHAT I’M REMINISCING ABOUT:

Family Friendly Christmas TraditionsAll of the family fun we had this season.  I’m always a little happy for the fresh beginning of a new year…but I’m always so sad to see Christmas go.  We have enjoyed this month to its fullest…and I know I’ll be thinking about it all year long.

3: What I’m loving:

I cannot stop gushing about these Yumboxes

I shared them a few weeks ago and I’m still obsessed.  They have completely revolutionized how I pack lunches for my kids.  Because the individual sections are small, I’m able to pack a whole variety of stuff in there that I might not otherwise pack (because I hate using a ton of baggies).  I’m telling you mamas…I’m obsessed!  See them HERE.

4: WHAT WE’VE BEEN UP TO:

Andrew has been home most of the week, so we’ve been packing in the Christmas cheer.  On tap this week, building a gingerbread house, watching a lot of Christmas movies and seeing more lights.  Since the kids are home for their winter break, we’re trying to make the most of it.

5: WHAT I’M DREADING:

I don’t think I’m dreading anything right this minute 🙂 .

6: WHAT I’M WORKING ON:

I’ve been really trying to prioritize lately and I already know that 2017 will look a little different than 2016. I’m really going to try and do less and make that count more.  One thing that I want to really count for more this year?  My travel agency.  I just so enjoy talking about trips with other people.  It’s always so HAPPY!

Don’t we have the cutest clients?!?!  We LOVE making vacations come true for these sweet families.  We are sending families to Walt Disney World and on cruises in the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii (on all lines…not just Disney). If you are planning your 2017 vacation (or even 2018!), email us because we would love to help!  mixandmatchtravelagency@yahoo.com 🙂 .

7: WHAT I’M EXCITED ABOUT:

Well, two things.  Last year, we took our kids to NYC in the fall and they have wanted to go back during the Christmas season ever since…so…Santa is bringing them a trip to the Big Apple this winter break.  I was already very excited about that but then…there was icing on the cake.  Fox and Friends asked me if I could come cook in December and I was like…well, I’m going to be there the week after Christmas, so they said that was perfect.  I’m going to hop over there the morning of December 28 and cook a little with them.  If you’re around next week, tune in that morning to see 🙂 .

8: WHAT I’M WATCHING/READING:

oth-season-1-lucas-one-tree-hill-16478758-1000-665-900x599

When is this going to be over?????  I feel like I’ve been watching One Tree Hill for years.  I’m on season four right now and there are nine seasons.  I mean…I cannot stop the madness.  Every time I think I need to just quit it and move on with my life…I watch another one because I am clearly addicted to the high school shenanigans.   Andrew and I also started watching this together…

…The Crown on Netflix.  I LOVE IT!  This one is so good!!

And next week, I’m doing my December Book Review PLUS an overall review of all the books I read in 2016.

One last thing I’m reading is this…Ryan Sutter’s new blog.

So, my friend Trista called me and was telling me about Ryan’s new blog The Hero’s Handbook and I’ve been reading it.  You need to check it out too!

9: WHAT I’M LISTENING TO:

img_0075

We are STILL listening to Christmas music 24/7.  I turn it on when we wake up (at 4:20 AM) and then turn it off when we go to sleep.  It’s on in the car too 🙂 .  My kids are at that perfect age because they LOVE Christmas music.  I mean…I guess I’m at that perfect age because I do too :).

And I said this last month, but I feel it’s worth repeating: you’ll notice that I listen to Michael Buble (Holiday) Radio on Pandora.  It was announced in November that his three year old son Noah has cancer.  Wouldn’t it be nice if every time we heard Michael Buble sing a carol on the radio, we prayed for his family?  Just a thought for your holiday season.

10: WHAT I’M WEARING:

Sweater, jeans, boots and repeat.  I wore this on Saturday and then just switched out my sweater with this one on Sunday…

…but in black.  Like I told you last week, I loved the pink sweater so much (because it’s so soft!!) that I bought it in black too and wore a black tank underneath it.

11: WHAT I’M DOING THIS WEEKEND:

IT’S CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12: WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH:

I wanted to remind you local girls about this again…

loweco

… in January, we are super pumped because my sister-in-law’s company turns one and there’s going to be a BIG celebration in Dallas!  My girlfriends and I have already bought tickets and are turning it into a fun girls night out!  So, if you’re local and want to go Loweco with us…get your tickets and come check it out!  And don’t forget to check out Loweco.’s website while you’re at it.  We are SO PROUD of you Catherine!!  You had a big dream and now, it’s celebrating one year of success!!

13: WHAT ELSE IS NEW:

I mean…I can’t think of anything off of the top of my head.

Bonus question this month: What’s your favorite memory from 2016?

Bam.

Nothing could have made our 2016 more special than Madeley James.

Whew!  That’s What’s Up Wednesday today! If you blogged too, make sure you link up below.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

xo

• Bailey Bryant December 21, 2016 at 5:27 am

Call me crazy but, could you please tell me how to pronounce Sheaffer’s name? I go back and forth between something like Cher and Shay-fer. No offense to Sheaffer-I just can’t stand not pronouncing things right…even if it is just in my head 🙂 .

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 5:43 am

It’s like “shay-fer”. 🙂 And listen, I do that too! Merry Christmas Bailey!!

• Sheaffer Sims December 21, 2016 at 6:27 am

Hi, Bailey! Laughing so hard! Let’s go ahead and just blame my parents for this one. 🙂 xoxo, Shay-fer

• Bailey Bryant December 21, 2016 at 7:47 am

Merry Christmas Shay & Shay-fer! 🙂

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 21, 2016 at 5:36 am

Loving both of your sweaters, and OMG ONE TREE HILL! I remember when that was all the rage and everyone was addicted!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 5:43 am

I cannot stop watching. It’s getting better with each season!!

• Jen December 21, 2016 at 5:52 am

Can’t wait to read about NY. I’m from Connecticut and never get there..(Boston has my heart). Maybe I need a trip there…

• Brenda December 21, 2016 at 5:54 am

Did you size down in the turtleneck? I purchased it but it was so big and boxy on the bottom I sent it back. It looks great on you though!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 6:02 am

I bought my true to size!

• Dustie Day December 21, 2016 at 6:05 am

If you’re looking for a very quick in and out breakfast or lunch, we love the evergreen diner. It’s near Fox News. Now, I’d consider it a “little hole in the wall” type diner but the food is delish. Merry Christmas Shay!

• Michelle December 21, 2016 at 6:18 am

The last picture always brings a tear to my eye! I just love it and I’m a sucker for kids in pjs! Will you be doing monthly goals in 2017? I miss that little reminder to set those short term goals! Merry Christmas!

• Adrienne December 21, 2016 at 6:23 am

Don’t stop watching! One Tree Hill gets even better when they skip ahead a few years and are no longer in high school. I don’t remember what season that is, but at some point it just skips ahead to when they have families and babies and careers!

• Sheaffer Sims December 21, 2016 at 6:29 am

I can’t wait to see y’alls New York Trip pics! And to watch you on Fox and Friends!!!!!

• Valerie December 21, 2016 at 6:31 am

So different seeing Madeley without her big smile, and I just love Ashbys arm around Madeley. So precious!

• Melissa Grimes December 21, 2016 at 6:43 am

Hey girly! Do the yumboxes fit in PB kids rectangle lunch boxes? 🙂 Merry Christmas to the Shulls!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 6:49 am

Yes!! Merry Christmas Grimes family!!

• Kristy Allgood December 21, 2016 at 7:29 am

Do things not spill out? My 6 year old tends to fling his lunchbox around….

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 7:34 am

No! That’s the magic of the boxes!! Nothing spills!

• Kristy Allgood December 21, 2016 at 4:53 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick reply!

• Hillary Elliott December 21, 2016 at 6:44 am

I love all the little traditions you have! Christmas is my most favorite time of the year! I love those lunch boxes!!!
    I have 2 questions. What camera do you use for your pictures? I’m thinking about stepping into the “big girl” camera land and wanted to see what you used! And second what program do you use to put all the cute little fonts and graphics on your pictures? Thanks so much & Merry Christmas!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 6:49 am

I use my iPhone for everything other than food pics. For my food pics, I use a Cannon with a micro lens. And I use http://www.picmonkey.com for the fonts. Merry Christmas!

• Lizzie @ This Happy Life December 21, 2016 at 6:48 am

The kids are going to love their present from Santa! I have been dying to go to NYC around Christmastime forever, I’m hoping next year is the year!! Can’t wait to look at all your Christmas recipes!

• Sarah December 21, 2016 at 6:54 am

Ok I think I need those lunch boxes! I’m a baggy user and Tupperware user but I’d love if I could ditch the bags!! Thanks!!

My favorite memory of 2016 was by far the birth of my third daughter, Hallie Catherine, She’ll be two months old on Christmas Eve and she is just the sweetest baby in the world,

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Narci December 21, 2016 at 7:02 am

What a fun month it has been! 🙂 Can’t wait to hear about your NYC trip and watch you on Fox!!!! Xo

• Aly December 21, 2016 at 7:04 am

Do you plan trips to Disneyland or just world?

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 7:20 am

I do not plan trips to Disneyland. Sorry!

• Melissa December 21, 2016 at 7:31 am

NYC at Christmas is the BEST!!! We just got back from taking our kids and it was magical. Have so much fun!

• jenny December 21, 2016 at 7:31 am

Those Yum Boxes are great! My kids might need those…

~Jenny

• Rebecca December 21, 2016 at 7:45 am

I am loving all of your Christmas posts!! SO FUN!! Can’t wait to see you next week on TV again! Yea!! Also- ps- LOVE the Crown. SO good!! Merry Christmas!

• Sarah Shaneyfelt December 21, 2016 at 7:46 am

I feel like I need a yumbox for my own lunches! And I can’t wait to see your segment on Fox and Friends! You must remind us!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Rebecca Jo December 21, 2016 at 7:56 am

That lunch container is just great for portion control. I love those!!! Need to go buy me a Christmas present 😉

• Megan December 21, 2016 at 7:57 am

I plan to start The Crown after my Hallmark Christmas movie binge. I’ve heard such good things about it! I can’t recommend your and Erika’s Disney expertise enough. Our trip was flawless!!

• Carly December 21, 2016 at 7:59 am

Shay- Would like to send my deepest thanks this holiday season for you sharing your family’s life in your blog. It has brought such joy, laughter and tears( the beautiful adoption stories) to read each day. It was a bright spot each day for me in a challenging year for our family. I just wanted you to know that you impact people with such grace and put a smile on my face. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Erika Slaughter December 21, 2016 at 7:59 am

Ahhhh!!! New York at a Christmas will be magical. You guys will have some stories to tell. ???????????? I can’t wait to watch Fox and Friends!! And I’ve got my party shoes ready for Catherine’s party!

• Shannon December 21, 2016 at 8:02 am

Ever since you posted the first time about saying a prayer for Noah whenever we hear a Buble song, I’ve been doing it. It’s amazing how many times a day during the Christmas season we hear his songs, and I’ve loved the reminder to keep Noah and all the other kids who need our prayers in my thoughts! So easy to do but such a special reminder especially this time of year!

• Laci December 21, 2016 at 8:14 am

Where do you recommend someone with kids stay in NYC?? My kids are dying to go too and I am just not sure I can brave the crowds and kids. 🙁

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 9:16 am

We try and stay in Midtown because it’s just so convenient for things we want to do with the kids.

• Sabrina December 21, 2016 at 8:18 am

I bought that big chunky sweater and I’m pretty sure it was made for me!! I have been looking for a sweater just like it all season and had about given up haha! I want to wear it everyday! Merry Christmas!

• Kelly December 21, 2016 at 8:19 am

NYC at Christmas! So fun! And, hands down, Madeley James was the highlight of 2016. Can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for the Shulls.

• Sarah @ Foxy's Domestic Side December 21, 2016 at 8:45 am

The exact reason I haven’t started One Tree Hill, perhaps that will be my next show to watch while working out. Maybe it might give me a reason to work out more, so I can watch! Haha, that seems pretty perfect. Currently watching Quantico, which I’m really liking.

• Jen December 21, 2016 at 9:14 am

Just saw the comment about Shaffer s name, and thought that was funny because I wanted to ask you the pronunciation of Madeleys name. I thought it was Made-ly, but my husband thinks its pronounced similar to Natalie (mad-a-lee). Who wins this bet?!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 9:15 am

It’s pronounced made-lee :). You win!

• Heather Alley December 21, 2016 at 9:17 am

I’m currently watching One Tree Hill as well!!! DONT STOP YET!!! It gets so much better! I just started season 7! You won’t be sorry! I’m like you – I didn’t watch it when it was originally on TV so this is a whole new world for me as well. LOVE it!! Merry Christmas!!!

• Beth Miller December 21, 2016 at 9:41 am

The Crown is amazing!!! I watched it in two days. I was so sad it was over and can’t wait until season two, but it’s not until next fall. ????????????

• Ally December 21, 2016 at 9:42 am

I saw on Facebook on Sunday that One Tree Hill is coming back in January for one more season! I am pumped. Merry Christmas!

• Taylor December 21, 2016 at 11:41 am

Hi Shay! I live in NYC and know of a place that I feel that you would love! It’s a German restaurant called Rolf’s. They are known for their crazy, over the top Christmas decorations! The whole restaurant is decorated from top to bottom. I’ve been reading your blog for a couple of years now so I know it combines two of your favorite things…Christmas and German food 🙂 I’ve heard that the food isn’t the absolute best, but it’s worth it to go for the atmosphere. I haven’t been yet myself, but it’s been on my to do list for awhile. And, if you don’t have a chance to make it on your trip this holiday season, I’m pretty sure they keep the decorations up all the way through April or May 🙂 Merry Christmas!

• Mix and Match Mama December 21, 2016 at 12:12 pm

No way?!?!? Thank you so much Taylor!!!

• Cristina December 21, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Hi Shay! Ever so often I love reading your posts about you family and foodie/clothes tips. I was just browsing the disney store and came upon a picture that looked just like Ashby and thought i’d share : https://www.disneystore.com/play-sets-more-toys-elsa-musical-ice-castle-play-set-frozen/mp/1414147/1000265/ 🙂

• ShootingStarsMag December 21, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I love visiting NYC, but I would really like to go sometime during the winter season so I can enjoy all the lights, etc. I know it’s something on my mom’s bucket list so sometime soon I hope!

-Lauren

• Trish December 21, 2016 at 7:27 pm

Have you shared this years Christmas Card yet? I love seeing different ideas! I know you usually share yours, but wasn’t sure if I missed it yet 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama December 22, 2016 at 5:50 am

I haven’t shared it yet, but I will!

• amanda December 21, 2016 at 10:52 pm

I just read the other day where Michael Buble’s son was discharged from the hospital after his first round of chemo. He responded so well that he will get to spend the holidays at home in LA with his family. I think the article said he has a planned operation for the end of December.
    I know they are so thankful not to be in the hospital celebrating Christmas! I pray he continues to do well with the chemo, and beats this cancer.

• Laura December 23, 2016 at 7:17 am

I’m sure this isn’t helpful, but the last two seasons of ONH were my favorite. (So you cannot quit!) In those seasons the characters are grown and starting families of their own. I started binge watching it in college and quit about season 4. It was so fun to come back to it later! I knew enough about the characters and their pasts to know what was going on! Have a Merry a Christmas!

• Sandy December 26, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Just curious, is that both lunch and snack for your kiddos in the yumbox. I am loving the idea of them, but we also pack a morning snack and I wonder if that would be enough space (especially for my 10 year old)?

• Mix and Match Mama December 27, 2016 at 3:36 am

We have to pack our snacks separately, so I don’t pack them both in here.