Madeley Post Adoption: Month 4

Ah!  Tomorrow is the four month anniversary of being a forever family with this cutie pie…

I am so glad that it’s time for an adoption update because I just feel like talking about my #4 today 🙂 .  She is PRECIOUS!  I kind of pinch myself sometimes because she’s just a big ball of joy and happiness.  Andrew and I were talking about Miss Madeley the other day and we decided two things…

1: She is by far the most content of all of the kids.  This one right here is happy doing anything and everything.  You know, as the youngest of four, her day to day routine is much different from say Kensington’s.  With Kensington, we had no one else to focus on, worry about, mess with…it was all about her during the day.  Well, you can’t do that with four.  Madeley has a routine every day but a big part of that routine is shuttling older kids to and from school, speech therapy, dance, basketball practice, doctor appointments and such.  She and I are in and out of the car so many times a day getting the other three all squared away and she is happy about it EVERY SINGLE TIME.  She just goes with the flow and is super content.  You know, sometimes, I’m tired and irritated after getting in and out of the car from school, the grocery store, the tailor, the ENT and such but she just smiles.    Content.  She is very content.

2: She is by far the most curious of all of the kids.  The first few times I wrote about Madeley’s progress at home, I mentioned how she was in to everything.  And I mean…everything.  We could have baby-proofed this house like you wouldn’t believe and she still could find something to get into.  It was kind of maddening because she could find ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to get in to.  I would say that went on for the first two months, but over these last two months, she has completely stopped.  I think now, we’ve realized that she’s just very curious and once she’s checked out whatever it is, she’s no longer curious.  She is no longer curious about our house, because I promise you this…she has checked out every square inch.  But…if I bring a shopping bag home and set it on the floor, she wants to look inside and check it out and then she’ll toddle off.  She is curious to check out new stuff.  If my mom comes over and sets her purse down, she wants to take a look.  She doesn’t remove anything or do damage, she just wants to examine this new item brought into our house.  She is curious.  I’ve never seen another kid so interested in things before.  She’s very aware of her surroundings and wants to check things out herself.

Madeley is basically happy all of the time.  She doesn’t have to warm up.  In the morning, my other three are sweet when they wake up, but they’re quiet, reserved and you know…just waking up.  Not this one.  She wakes up, pops up in her crib and immediately starts waving and smiling.  She is always so smiley and happy…unless, she’s hungry.  If she’s hungry, she’s screaming at the top of her lungs until she’s eating.  The other day, Erika was like “who is that screaming in the background” and I was like “it’s Madeley waiting for her leftover stew to come out of the microwave”.  She was standing in the kitchen screaming at the top of her lungs because she wanted to eat.  Now.  Right that second.  As soon as I pulled it out and put her in the high chair with it, she was all smiles and happy.  But if she’s hungry…watch out.  She’ll scream.  You know those veggie/fruit pouches that kids squeeze into their mouths?  She loves those things.  I mean…she would eat like 12 a day if I let her.  I’ll find her standing by the pantry door screaming and pointing because she wants in and as soon as I open the door, she’ll toddle right over and grab one and stop crying.

Development-wise, she’s doing great!  Her receptive language is really good.  I can say “go get a book to read” and she can go to the next room, pick out a book and bring it back to me to read.  If I say “go get your shoes for Mommy”, she’ll go get her shoes by the door and bring them to me.  I really think she understands so much of what we say.  Her vocabulary is increasing: Dada, Mama, Poppy, Papa, BoBo (for Bowen), drink, up and words like that come out of her mouth all day long unprompted.  She’s very good at mimicking sounds and words too, so we work on that a lot.  She can tell you what sound a dog makes, where certain body parts are, she can point to people in pictures and identify them if I say their name, she can go retrieve her ball, her push car, her baby doll and other toys she plays with often.

We’re watching her physical development because she’s still not growing as quickly as she should be.  She’s scheduled for more blood-work at the end of January, and then we’re going to go back to the endocrinologist in February just to make sure everything is okay.  She’s very small for her age (even when you factor it on a Chinese growth chart), so they just want to keep tabs on her physical development and make sure she’s not failing to thrive.

I would say that her favorite people right now are me, Andrew, Kensington, my dad, Bowen and Samuel.  She loves everyone…but she’s enamored with this group.  My cousin has a precious baby that’s Samuel’s age but she can tell who is who and she ADORES her some Samuel.  It’s really quite cute 🙂 .  Andrew and I are excited because we’re going to go away just for the weekend and all four kids will get to stay with my parents and we know Madeley will be thrilled to have extra Papa Jay time.  If we could just figure out a way to get Bowen in the mix, her world would be made for the weekend :).

Madeley knows what she likes to eat.  Let’s all remember, four months ago, all she had ever had to eat/drink was formula…fast forward to today and she thinks she’s such a foodie with big opinions 🙂 .  Put raw veggies in front of her and she’ll shake her head “no” over and over again and wave you off with her hand.  Put some sort of pasta down along with a protein (eggs, ground beef, chicken, sausage) and she’ll eat it up.  The other night, I made chili and she had two bowls.  Put a grape down and she’ll throw it on the ground.  She wants pasta, rice, and meat.  She does not want a banana, avocado, carrot, berry, etc.  She also doesn’t like any sort of cracker/chip either.  She doesn’t want you to give her an animal cracker for a snack…she wants a pig in a blanket.  She really likes what she likes and will let you know if she doesn’t approve of something else.

All of my girls are pretty girly…but this one might be the most.  She hangs around the bathroom in the morning and bums product off of me.  If I’m putting Moroccanoil in my hair, she wants a little on her hands too and then she’ll rub it in her hair.  If I’m putting lotion on my legs, she wants lotion for her legs.  If I’m wearing lip gloss, she wants lip gloss.  She knows when I’m in there getting ready and she’ll bring a toy in the bathroom and sit by me waiting for her products 🙂 .  I also find her in my closet trying on shoes at least twice a day.  You don’t know how many times she’s walked past me in the house wearing my Toms or my Converse on her little feet.  She’s just dragging them around (because her feet are TINY!) the house.  She has recently discovered purses and almost always has one with her in the car filled with Barbie stuff and little toys she collects throughout the house.

A few weeks ago, she sat through the Rockettes while we were in NYC and then a movie later at home and was entertained both times.  She loves music and loves to dance, so they both kept her attention.  Any time, she hears songs, she starts bobbing her head and moving her little arms.

As you can tell, we’re enamored with our littlest love.  She has really adjusted to our family so well (and vice versa!).  All three big kids think she hung the moon and multiple times a day, I can hear them arguing over who gets to play with her (because they all want to play one on one with her ).  She just fit into our family seamlessly.  We have some things to work on…she’s far from being caught up to other kids her age…but, we take it one day at a time and know that eventually, that will all work itself out.  The bottom line is that we adore Miss Madeley and thank the Lord for her every single day.  Now…I’m off to wake her up.  She’ll be smiling from ear to ear…unless I delay with making her breakfast and then she’ll throw a huge fit 🙂 .  Adoption is amazing friends.  It’s a gift that is born from loss…and I appreciate it every day. It is such a blessing that we all get to be a forever family.

To see other posts on our adoptions, look below…

Madeley Post Adoption: Month 3

Madeley Post Adoption: Month 2

Madeley Post Adoption: Month 1

Meeting Madeley for the first time: HERE

All of our China travel posts: HERE

To see more about our journey to adopt Ashby, see below:

Ashby’s Gotcha Day {Second Anniversary}

Post Adoption: Month 2

Post Adoption: Month 1

Meeting Ashby for the first time: HERE

All of our China travel posts: HERE

Print Friendly

• Reply Leslie Z. January 10, 2017 at 4:55 am

Eeeeek! She is just the sweetest little thing that I ever did see!! She looks like such a happy baby! Happy 4 months post adoption, Shull family.

I posted all of great great clothing finds from my shopping trip yesterday! Check it out:

• Reply Alexis January 10, 2017 at 4:58 am

I absolutely love reading all of your adoption posts. I love reading all of your posts (especially the book ones!), but your adoption ones just make my heart happy. Thanks for sharing all of this with us!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog January 10, 2017 at 5:01 am

Such a sweet, heartwarming post. Ohh, I see that you went to China! Going to add checking the posts out to my to-do list. 🙂

• Reply Erika Slaughter January 10, 2017 at 5:06 am

I couldn’t agree more with Madeley! If you set a raw carrot down in front of me, I might scream and throw a fit too. 🙂 You’re so right about her just being content with whatever. She’s super chill and the sweetest little thing. And that Bowen has a way with the ladies!!

• Reply Sanna January 10, 2017 at 5:08 am

Her smile is very cute! How do you deal with children that pretty much refuse veggies? How do you work it into their meal, so they will eat the necessary amount?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 5:28 am

Well, with Madeley, we don’t push food on her because she’s just not ready for that (coming from an orphanage and being adopted, you kind of just go with what they gravitate for at this point). I’ve figured out which veggies my big kids like and we kind of stick with that mostly. Ashby is like a unicorn (something you hear about but really never see)…she prefers veggies to dessert, so I can’t explain that one 😉 !

• Reply Narci January 10, 2017 at 5:24 am

Her cute wrinkled noise when she smiles slays me every time! She really is just a joy!! Thankful for you and her! Great post!!! Xo

• Reply Kristi January 10, 2017 at 5:36 am

Hi Shay! Love reading about sweet Madeley. Where is this cute outfit of hers from (top photo)?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 5:48 am

Matilda Jane 🙂

• Reply Katrina January 10, 2017 at 5:43 am

PediaSure helped my daughter (American Chinese) grow like you would not believe. She had failure to thrive and now is thriving. She was also adopted.

• Reply Sheaffer Sims January 10, 2017 at 5:49 am

I loved this post so much! I feel like I know Madeley so much better now. And it made me realize that I miss her. It’s been far too long since I’ve seen that girl. I want to see her excited little wave asap!

• Reply Lesley McFarland January 10, 2017 at 6:03 am

I absolutely love your adoption post. MJ is just the cutest….and those cheeks.

• Reply Paula January 10, 2017 at 6:14 am

I love each of your kid’s smiles! Such joy! Madeley invcluded! Pure joy!
    I gotta tell ya, Bowen must be pretty special! Both girls love that little guy!

• Reply Sarah January 10, 2017 at 6:18 am

This is so sweet!!! What an awesome little personality she has!! Isn’t it crazy how every single child can be so different? I love it! She sounds like such a delight!!

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Reply Kelsey Reinhard January 10, 2017 at 6:27 am

She is completely adorable! I can’t wait to adopt!

• Reply Megan January 10, 2017 at 6:35 am

Such a sweet sweet post! I chuckled because my little lady is a meat lover too. Home 18 months and she always picks ham or pepperoni or a snack.

• Reply Valerie January 10, 2017 at 7:03 am

Such a little beauty! Love how your little girls both love them some Bowen! 🙂

• Reply Brooke Richardson January 10, 2017 at 7:05 am

Madeley just makes my heart melt and I’ve thought to myself and told you as well, she is just so perfect! So cute! What a blessing she is all around. And her little toddle as you mentioned, I mean that’s pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen. I just want to eat her up. Tyler tells me that doesn’t sound right and I shouldnt always say that lol! I just can’t get enough of her. I can’t wait till Willow gets home and can see them all together playing. Adoption is Amazing!!!!!

• Reply Kelly January 10, 2017 at 7:07 am

Aww. What a loving post! It is so fun to read these adoption posts! Thank you, Shay!

• Reply LYNNE January 10, 2017 at 7:12 am

Am I the only one having trouble viewing your blog on mobile? The last post that comes up is January 3? I have to view on my desktop. Strange…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 7:19 am

You’re not! My techy friend is making some changes that will hopefully correct that! So sorry!

• Reply Courtney January 10, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I was having this problem too (on my iPhone) and I cleared the history on safari in settings and was able to view the recent posts. I haven’t had trouble since. Worth a shot 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 4:33 am

Well, not perfect…but I do think that with the right attitude, things are more positive. We just feel so blessed by both of our youngest girls.

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams January 10, 2017 at 7:16 am

She looks so happy and I agree with her if I’m going to eat a meal I want pasta, meat or rice lol. That’s so cute that she likes Bowen too!
    xo

• Reply Marie Claas January 10, 2017 at 7:27 am

I just wanted to ask if you’ve had genetic testing (bloodwork) run on Madeley. My now 4 year old seemed to slow down growing when she was 3. Since she’s my fourth child as well, I noticed that her language was quite far behind where my other kids had been at her age. She seems, even now, in many aspects, to be more like a 2 year old than a 4 year old. She also has VERY specific fiod likes and dislikes and pasta is one of her likes. Finally a doctor suggested that we run genetic testing, and it turns out that she has a mosaic version of Turner’s Syndrome. The “mosaic” part is key, because she doesn’t appear to have anything wrong, if you were to look at her. Just a suggestion to check out. My little girl has an endocrinologist, so Madeley’s doctor will know what Turner’s Syndrome is 🙂

• Reply Kassie Moore January 10, 2017 at 7:40 am

So funny about the fruit pouches! Those are Shepherd’s favorite things! We keep apple sauce pouches in the fridge and she attempts to pull on the handle 20 times a day because she wants to help herself to an applesauce 🙂 Must be the age! She’s precious! Congrats again!

• Reply Nichole January 10, 2017 at 7:50 am

She is such a little ray of sunshine! That grin!

• Reply Laci January 10, 2017 at 8:03 am

I swear Madeley is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen!!! What a joy it is to see how adoption has been so good to your family. Love it!

• Reply diane January 10, 2017 at 8:05 am

Ohhh what a great post! Love hearing how well Madeley is doing. You had mentioned in an early post how she would rock herself when you put her down to sleep. Does she still do that? That made my heart ache.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 8:39 am

Not nearly as often :).

• Reply Tracy January 10, 2017 at 8:20 am

So precious! I love your Madeley updates. 🙂

• Reply Aimee January 10, 2017 at 8:27 am

Oh my word. This makes me cry tears of joy! We are in the midst of waiting for our little China angel right now and this just makes it all worth the wait. Love these posts the best!

• Reply Tara @ Mommy in a Nutshell January 10, 2017 at 8:39 am

So beautifully written! I love how each of your children have such unique and dear personalities.

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life January 10, 2017 at 8:40 am

Madeley is just the sweetest!! I loved learning more about her! xo

• Reply Bailey Bryant January 10, 2017 at 8:51 am

Hearing that #4 is so go-with-the-flow gives me such hope! My #1 (and only) at the moment, is more of a hurricane. A super sweet and cute one, but hurricane nonetheless. Madely is absolutely precious and reading about her progress is always so heartwarming! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lori McKee January 10, 2017 at 9:09 am

You are killing me with these adoption updates! I don’t even know you except thru Scheaffer, and I am loving these stories and can’t stop reading!!! God bless you for the love you are giving all your children, but esp for these with so many needs.

• Reply Angela Ellingson January 10, 2017 at 9:12 am

What a precious little thing! So fun to hear more about what she’s like. Such a dolly!

• Reply Alice Ann Sebring January 10, 2017 at 9:13 am

Love reading your blog! Not sure if you are able to share, but I’ve been praying for your friend, Manda, and her family and was hoping she was feeling better!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 11:38 am

Thank you so much for asking. Please continue to keep her and her family in your prayers.

• Reply Kendra January 10, 2017 at 9:27 am

Oh Im so happy for you!! She is so blessed to be given life through y’all! She is a beautiful child with such an amazing smile! Oh and I need to meet this Bowen! He is sure the charmer! Hugs

• Reply Kelsey January 10, 2017 at 9:28 am

She is just the absolute cutest!! I love how happy she is and it does seem like she was the perfect fit for your family! Prayers that her growth will improve!

• Reply Keisha M Dawson January 10, 2017 at 9:35 am

Love seeing how these sweet girls are fully adjusting to your family! They just belong!

• Reply Michele January 10, 2017 at 9:50 am

Love her…and the rest of your beautiful family! Thanks for the Madeley update!

• Reply Jenny January 10, 2017 at 10:00 am

Aww… thanks for the update! What a sweet girl! I love hearing about all of their different personalities. So fun!

• Reply Aubrey January 10, 2017 at 10:04 am

Such a cutie! I am jealous that she is so happy to be in and out of the car. Annie is SO OVER being carted to all of her sisters’ activities. Then again, I kinda am too. So I can’t really blame her!

• Reply Whitney Pegram January 10, 2017 at 10:09 am

Love these posts! She’s such a baby doll!

• Reply Amelia January 10, 2017 at 10:17 am

Hi- we’re considering adoption. Could you please recommend some books about adoption? Thanks so much.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 11:38 am

My favorite is Forever Mom by Mary Ostyn :).

• Reply Andrea January 10, 2017 at 11:03 am

I obviously don’t know any of you personally but as I was reading this I thought, “Bowen is a gem for your youngest girls. I bet this will also play a role later in his life. The lord created him to be a friend and a safe place for people who need a friend.” But again I don’t know you guys so I’m trying not to sound cooky! I do love Jesus and the Red Sox so that should validate me. 😉

Love your blog. My daughter was born the same day you got ashby in China. I kept up with all your posts from the hospital!

• Reply Britt F January 10, 2017 at 11:43 am

I absolutely adore your updates on your girls and your adoption posts overall. Adoption has always been on our hearts, but after the devastating, late-term loss of our unborn Daughter this fall, adoption is at the forefront of my mind and heart every day now. “Adoption is a gift born from loss” makes me tear up with an instant golf ball size lump in my throat because it’s so true, often times on both sides of the parental equation. Thank you for sharing your journey with so many of us. Madeley is a true gift!

• Reply Deanna January 10, 2017 at 11:54 am

What a beautiful little girl! I love, love, love your adoption updates. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Megan Butler January 10, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Oh my goodness Sweet little love!!! I just want to kiss her cheeks!!!

• Reply Callie January 10, 2017 at 12:04 pm

What a cutie she is!

• Reply Angela Ellingson January 10, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Blogger question: When you link to several different posts (like all of the girls’ post adoption posts), do you have to take the time to link each one or do you know a short cut to link them all at once? Thanks! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I copy and paste them from the last time I used them (which in today’s case, would have been Madeley’s 3 month update plus I added Ashby’s Gotcha Day in there from last week too). I copy it right off the original post.

• Reply Angela Ellingson January 11, 2017 at 12:16 pm

I will have to try that! I didn’t realize the links would still work if they were copy and pasted. Thanks Shay! <3

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 4:36 am

She wears a size 18 months in clothes and her shoes are a size four. 🙂

• Reply Lauren Truman January 10, 2017 at 2:53 pm

thank you for sharing your journey! my baby girl is a peanut, too.. and I’m just curious, what size clothes is Madeley wearing? And shoes? it’s so hard to gage her actual size from pictures. She will catch up … but, some kiddos will always just be peanuts, and that’s fine, too!! 🙂 Bless your sweet heart!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 5:38 am

She wears a size 18 month in clothes and a size 4 shoe :).

• Reply Ruth January 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I just want to pinch Madeley’s cheeks, she is so cute. I love reading all the things you share like how she likes using your products and tries on your shoes. And, if it weren’t completely socially unacceptable there are times I could scream at the top of my lungs when I want to eat, too. Hangry is real.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 4:36 am

They compare her to both the US growth chart and the Chinese growth chart…they’re different. The US growth chart makes her seem suuuuuuper tiny (because apparently US kids are so much bigger than Chinese kids). The Chinese growth chart still makes her seem small but not quite as small. And yes, I agree…I think it’s because she’s Asian too.

• Reply Nancy Fong January 10, 2017 at 3:36 pm

She is just adorable. What growth chart are they comparing her too when you say the “Chinese growth chart.” My daughter is similarly tiny but I think its just because she is Asian. Tests also showed no growth hormone issue.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 5:38 am

There are two different growth charts. The US chart measures kids bigger than the Chinese chart. She’s small on both…but yes, it’s probably because she’s just a petite Asian girl :).

• Reply Sarah January 10, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Perfect life, perfect family, perfect kids, perfect adoption! Everything in your life, so easy!! Seamless adoption—very encouraging for any families who want to adopt. Thanks for sharing an update!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 5:37 am

Not perfect at all! We just try and keep it positive and happy around here :).

• Reply Sarah January 11, 2017 at 8:06 am

Well that just seems like how you portray everything so it’s inspiring!

• Reply Desiree | Beautifully Seaside January 10, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Madeley is precious! I love how you love her so much and I can tell she is in love with all of you! Blessings in the the new year! XOXO

• Reply Jeanie January 10, 2017 at 5:38 pm

That was sweet. I love reading about your kids.

• Reply Mack January 10, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I’m the youngest of five and my parents always joke I spent the first ten years of my life in the car ?. I’m grateful for those years because I think they helped me develop a big imagination just like your Madeley, I don’t need much to feel content. Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

• Reply Mandy January 11, 2017 at 5:40 am

While i hope it doesn’t come down to this for your sweet Madely, my 9 month old is on growth hormone therapy becuase she doesn’t produce enough growth hormone on her own. We see an endocrinologist regularly to monitor. This is directly tied to her thyroid- which I know you previously mentioned is functioning normal for Madely. I’ll be keeping your sweet baby in my prayers that she begins to grow!

• Reply Holly Hopkins January 11, 2017 at 7:17 am

She sounds soooo much like my second! Two weeks after he was born I was carting him to preschool drop off, gymnastics, and soccer. With my first we would never go out at nap time ect. Now he is just go with the flow. Always happy even now at 14mos to watch gymnastics for 45minutes or stroll around the mall. When it comes to his food tho it is a complete melt down untill he is sitting and eating. He also loves those pouches which I give him because he is not a fan of veggies and fruit.
    Love hearing how well it was all going. We are looking into foster adoption. Curious about sleep. Does she still sleep next to your bed & if so how long will you do this for?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

She does! And I think she will for a while. She seems really content there and at this point, I don’t want to rock the boat.

• Reply Shelly January 11, 2017 at 8:46 am

She is just too cute! One of my friends was visiting her sister last week and saw you two girls at Nordstrom and she said y’all are both just as adorable in person. 🙂

• Reply Carly January 11, 2017 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. I’ve been inspired to look into adoption…to think all because of the Bachelor I was lead here.

Have you seen the Good Morning American story with adopted twins this morning? Cue the waterworks!

• Reply Lulu January 16, 2017 at 1:34 am

Love love your updates, this one is specially precious. Maybe next time you can post a picture of her with your shoes on. Thanks!

• Reply Detroit Duchess January 16, 2017 at 9:03 pm

What a cutie pie! Hooray for Madeley, she is just a little bit of sunshine!