Sausage Corn Muffins

Sausage Corn Muffins

I made these Sausage Corn Muffins for breakfast for my Sunday school class and they were a hit!  A little cornbread mix with breakfast sausage, green onions, cheddar and chopped green chiles stirred in…what’s not to love?  You could totally serve them alongside a bowl of chili too…but I found they went great with coffee in the morning.  Either way, enjoy!!

This recipe makes about 16 to 18 muffins.

Shopping List
1 pound of breakfast sausage (I used Owens)
2 (8.5 oz) boxes of corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1 (14 oz) can of creamed corn
1 (4 oz) can of chopped green chiles
about 8 green onions, chopped
1½ cups of shredded cheddar
2/3 cup of milk (I used 2%)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners or spray with Pam so that your muffins can easily be removed.  Set aside.

In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown your breakfast sausage until it’s browned and crumbly.  Drain your skillet and put your cooked sausage in a large mixing bowl.  Add your corn muffin mix, creamed corn, green chiles, green onions, cheese and milk to your bowl.  Stir everything together with a wooden spoon until it’s all combined.  Drop your batter (it will be thick) in your muffin tins and then pop them in the oven to bake about 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and either serve warm or room temperature.  Store them in an airtight container or large baggie when not enjoying.

See?  So simple but packed with flavor!

Sausage Corn Muffins

Print Friendly

• Reply Amanda Gallus January 4, 2017 at 5:32 am

Hi Shay,
    I live in Australia and have your ‘Eats’ cookbook in my Book Depository basket for purchase but I just wanted to ask if I will be able to source most of the ingredients listed here? (for example, we don’t have corn muffin mixes). I have cooked your BLT pasta after seeing it on your blog and my family LOVE it!
    I enjoy reading your blog and find it inspiring (still can’t get up that early though ????!) Blessings to you and your beautiful family, especially Ashby.
    All the best,
    Amanda

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 4, 2017 at 5:35 am

Yes! I totally think you’ll be able to cook everything without a problem!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog January 4, 2017 at 5:50 am

I’m still trying to get used to the idea of savoury muffins. I loveeee the idea of putting sausages in one (mmm, sausages!)

• Reply Amanda Gallus January 4, 2017 at 5:51 am

Many thanks 🙂

• Reply Narci January 4, 2017 at 6:29 am

Sounds delish to me!

• Reply Rachael January 4, 2017 at 8:08 am

Oh yummy! This looks delicious 🙂

Rachael xx.
    theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk

• Reply Lisa G. January 4, 2017 at 9:58 am

Hi, Shay – Do you think I could make these using regular frozen corn niblets instead of the creamed corn? Or would they come out too dry? Not sure if my kids will go for the creamed corn…Thx! Lisa

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 4, 2017 at 12:34 pm

They would come out dry. Your kids will NEVER know in this recipe :). Promise!

• Reply Erin January 4, 2017 at 11:26 am

Would it be too boring without the chiles and green onions? I’m so lazy!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 4, 2017 at 12:34 pm

It wouldn’t be boring! The sausage and cheese alone would be yummy too!

• Reply Erin January 4, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Thanks, Shay! I’m going to take these to my Sunday school class this week!!!

• Reply Ashley January 4, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Can’t wait to try these!! Couple questions – do you think using the Jimmy Dean pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles that come in a bag would be ok and should I use 1 or 2 bags? Also, how full do you fill the muffin tins? 1/2 way? 2/3 full? Thanks again for sharing!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 4, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I think that would be just fine! Probably one bag would be enough. I only fill them about 2/3 of the way full.

• Reply Jill January 4, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Hi Shay. These look yummy for my picky toddler. Do you just use the corn muffin mix or do you also add the milk and egg per the muffin mix directions? My son has an egg allergy. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 4, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I only used milk (per directions) and skipped the eggs :).

• Reply Stacy January 4, 2017 at 5:57 pm

How do you think these would freeze?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 5, 2017 at 4:25 am

They’d freeze beautifully!

• Reply Paula January 4, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Yum!
    I just preorderd your Kids Cookbook & Slow Cooker. I know the release dates are not ready, but I am! 😀

• Reply Ann Marie January 5, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Oh my! These look so yummy!!!

• Reply Tonya January 7, 2017 at 7:38 am

Just made this and ate it. Delicious! I was too lazy to bake it in a muffin tin so I just dumped it all in my big square Paula Deen dish. Breakfast, Brunch, lunch, snack, dinner. This is fabulous any time of day. Thanks, Shay!