Sausage & Lentil Chili

Sausage & Lentil Chili

Okay, so I think I make yummy dinners every night of the week…but this Sausage & Lentil Chili takes the top prize for the absolute yummiest I’ve made in a long time.  It was on another level.  We were obsessed with it…and I think you will be too.

Now, don’t be scared if you haven’t cooked with lentils before.  You’ll find them right there on the grain aisle next to the dried beans/rice/quinoa/pasta and such.  You will just need one bag of dry lentils (2 cups).  That’s it.  I’m telling you…this was such a hit on so many different levels.  Make it and tell me what you think too!!

This recipe serves four.

Shopping List
1 pound of bulk Italian sausage (we used a mild sweet sausage but you could use spicy)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 (10 oz) package of frozen spinach, thawed and all of the excess water squeezed out (I squeeze it in a clean kitchen towel over my sink)
1 (32 oz) box of chicken stock
2 cups of dry lentils
grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
chopped parsley to garnish

In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown up your sausage in a drizzle of EVOO until it’s cooked and crumbly.  Next, add in your chopped onion and garlic with a pinch of both salt and pepper.  Saute about 5 or 6 minutes until the onions are soft.  Next, stir in your tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach, stock and lentils.  Bring everything to a boil and then immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.

After an hour, your lentils will be soft and your chili will be nice and thick.  Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with a little grated Parm and chopped parsley.  Then email me and tell me how good this supper was 🙂 .

Enjoy!

Sausage & Lentil Chili

Print Friendly

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog January 12, 2017 at 5:28 am

Yaaaas, obsessed with lentils!

• Reply Tess January 12, 2017 at 8:15 am

Have you ever made this in the crock pot? If so, how long would you let it cook for?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 12, 2017 at 8:42 am

I haven’t but I bet you could! I would say on low 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 hours.

• Reply Meredith January 12, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Are there any seasonings that need to go in? Like chili powder?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 12, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Nope! Just salt and pepper. Your sausage, onion and garlic will add a ton of flavor!

• Reply Ashley January 12, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I am going to make this next week. I have never tried lentils and this recipe goes perfectly with 2 of my resolutions – 1) try new foods and 2) make one new recipe a month. The 2nd one has actually been a resolution for 3 years now because I love it and it keeps me from getting in a recipe rut. I already made January’s new dish (cheeseburger soup and it was delish) but I can’t wait until February to try this one… Maybe I will amend my resolution to 2 new recipes a month. Thanks Shay!

• Reply Susan Jeffries January 13, 2017 at 5:15 am

I am trying this Saturday! I may make some without the sausage for my vegetarian daughter too!

• Reply S. Pollard January 13, 2017 at 6:49 am

Do you drain the cans of tomatoes? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 13, 2017 at 8:30 am

Nope!

• Reply Meg January 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I’m 25 and just starting getting into cooking – made this Friday for my boyfriend and we were both obsessed. Making it again tonight!

• Reply Lauren Austin January 15, 2017 at 4:47 pm

This is on my menu this week, can’t wait to try it!! It looks delish and lentils are something new for us, love branching out!

• Reply Angie January 16, 2017 at 10:36 am

Looks so good, I put it on the menu tomorrow! Thank you for the recipe!! <3

• Reply Sara January 17, 2017 at 9:12 am

Just made this last night and it was a huge hit!! Definitely making this again. It had such great flavor and I even added in a little giardiniera on my second helping and it was even more fabulous!

• Reply Sarah January 17, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I made this the night you posted it! I only had fresh Kale on hand so I used that instead of the frozen spinach. It turned out SO good. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply sascha January 18, 2017 at 11:46 am

I made it over the weekend and it really was amazing! I couldn’t believe how flavorful it was! And so easy to make. Thank you!

• Reply Joda January 19, 2017 at 6:32 am

My family of 6 LOVED it! Any idea what the calorie count per serving is?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama January 19, 2017 at 6:46 am

Yay! I’m glad to hear that! And no, I don’t keep up with the calories. Sorry!

• Reply Erin Miller January 20, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I made this tonight for dinner. It was perfect for our stormy night and so good!!!! Thank you 😊