What I Wore Wednesday.

Whoa, I haven’t linked up to The Pleated Poppy and shared a What I Wore Wednesday since April of last year…so, I thought it was due time.  Today, just one outfit.  I put it on yesterday because it was pouring down rain and thought, this outfit is just really the perfect go-to.  All of the pieces are versatile and can really be worn 365 days a year.  I mean…it’s nothing fancy, it’s just good basics that I wear over and over again…

And yes, my closet is finally finished. #happydance

See, nothing fancy, nothing new, just “basic”-ly a good outfit 😉 .

I’ll break them down for you here…

#1: Gold studs: You’ve probably seen me wear these gold studs a million times but I don’t think I’ve ever blogged about them.  They’re light, they’re gold, they’re small, they’re the easiest thing in the world to put on.  I wear them all the time.  Just good, basic, gold studs.  You can get a 12 pack of studs (yes, 12!) for only $19 HERE.

#2: A Neutral Scarf: I mean…it just goes with everything.  So, the one I have on isn’t current, but THIS ONE here is very similar and only $10.  I bought it in the olive color about a month ago and showed it to you guys…

…and ironically, I was basically wearing the exact same outfit!

#3: OPI Big Apple Red: Hello?  It’s like the BEST red ever. It’s just a true red.

#4: The Downtown Field Jacket: I’m pretty sure J. Crew has this jacket every single year.  You can layer it, wear it alone, whatever, it just always works.  I love the gold hardware on there the most!

#5: A Chambray Shirt: I mean…I wear my chambray shirts with jeans, skirts and shorts.  Roll up the sleeves and pair it with white shorts and it’s perfect for summer…or add it as a layer on a really cold day.  Plus, it looks great with a pencil skirt and heels too.  It always wins.  This is my exact shirt 🙂 .

#6: A Tank: I mean…I feel like I’ve blogged about these tanks a million times.  They’re all I wear under clothes.  I wear the black and the white the most.  THE BEST TANK.

#7: Gray Jeans: Speaking of things I’ve blogged about a million times, my gray jeans.  They’re a little more unexpected than regular denim.  And this particular pair is so soft that they feel like pjs.

#8: Hunter Rain Boots: Okay, if I looked up which items in my closet that I talk about the most, these Hunter Boots (a.k.a. Wellies) would HAVE to be in the top three.  They might even be number one!  I wear my Wellies when it’s raining, when it’s cold, when it’s snowing, when I’m traveling and need to walk a lot (they’re so comfy!)…I wear them ALL THE TIME.

See?  Just a basic-ly good outfit 😉 .  Solid pieces that you can wear all the time, all year long.

So, do you know where I was going yesterday morning?  To get my annual mammogram.  For several reasons, I started getting mammograms two years ago and yesterday, was my sixth one.  Six in two years.  And you know what?  I’m thankful for them.  If you and your doctor have discussed you getting a mammogram, might I encourage you to?  They’re really not that bad at all.  A friend of mine begins chemo today to fight off ovarian cancer…friends, we have to stay diligent in the fight against this stuff.  Get your PAP, get your mammogram, get a annual physical, go to the dentist, get a skin check by your dermatologist (you ladies know how passionate I am about that!).  Do what you can to prevent and/or catch these nasty things early.  And…one last thing…I’m sending so much love and praying for those of you who are currently undergoing treatment for cancer.  I’m lifting you up this morning to the Lord.  God bless each and every one of you.

xo

Print Friendly

• Reply Erika Slaughter February 15, 2017 at 4:44 am

Oh my goodness!!! I’m loving your new floors and those rugs in your closet. Gorgeous! And I LOL’d when I saw your post…I did a WIWW post today too. #greatminds

• Reply Leslie February 16, 2017 at 8:32 am

What size is your downtown field jacket you are wearing?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 16, 2017 at 8:35 am

small!

• Reply ELizabeth February 15, 2017 at 4:55 am

Wow! Your new closet looks gorgeous, love the floors!
    Xx
    Elizabeth

• Reply Susan Jeffries February 15, 2017 at 4:58 am

I have been looking for layering tanks, so thanks for the links! So many colors to choose from! I made your meatball pasta bake for Valentine’s Day and it was a hit! I made a pan without meatballs for my daughter who is a vegetarian, and she loved it too! Thanks!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog February 15, 2017 at 4:59 am

Argh, dying to get a pair of Hunter boots! I wish I’d gotten them while I was in England.

• Reply Holly Hopkins February 15, 2017 at 5:16 am

Great outfit! Leggings, hunters, and a button up shirt is my winter go to outfit! I have pink tall hunters but recently got short glossy black ones and I am so in love!!!

• Reply Emily February 15, 2017 at 5:25 am

Omg your closet!! So happy for you that it’s finished now. Hoping you do a little closet tour soon!! xo

• Reply Bernadine February 15, 2017 at 5:33 am

I think you might have more comments about the new closet today than the actual post about what you wore 🙂
    I love interior so super excited about a post coming soon about your new closet… I hope (and your birthday wall update)

• Reply Heather Bramlett February 15, 2017 at 5:35 am

What great staples to have in your closet.
    I have a pair of lighter grey jeans but I think I need those 🙂

• Reply Emma @ from my little pink couch February 15, 2017 at 5:38 am

Cute outfit!!!! Getting my physical Friday!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims February 15, 2017 at 5:40 am

The floors look AMAZING!!!!!! And that basic outfit is so cute!

• Reply Narci February 15, 2017 at 6:02 am

Your closet looks awesome, girl!!!! I love it! Also, you are so right! Every single one of those pieces is such a staple for every closet! That field jacket is the best!! 🙂

• Reply Jenn February 15, 2017 at 6:05 am

What color is your jacket? It’s hard to tell in the pictures. Also did you size up? The reviews say it runs small. Thanks. And your closet looks great!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 6:39 am

It’s that moss color that I linked to. The exact one. It’s kind of a mix of green and brown. I bought a small…and it has plenty of room to layer underneath (doesn’t feel tight at all).

• Reply Nicole February 15, 2017 at 6:05 am

Shay love your new closet!! Where did you get your rugs??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 6:38 am

Online! They’re from Chip and Joanna Gaines :).

• Reply Loren February 15, 2017 at 6:06 am

I just bought the grey jeans and I am loving them. I second Emily, I think you should do a closet tour and how you keep it all organized.

• Reply Stephanie DeFlorentis February 15, 2017 at 6:17 am

My mother passed away about 2.5 years ago from cancer and sadly, if she was diligent about her annual exams, things would have been different. She was scared of knowing. I am 36 and just had my second mammogram, started getting skin checks 2 years ago and have been annual with PAP’s for many many years. You are right, these things are important and while may seem scary, can make a difference.

• Reply Denise February 15, 2017 at 6:24 am

I love my Hunter boots! I bought a patent gray last winter but they are so tight in the calfs (and I have very thin legs)! I even get a charlie horse while pulling them off! Do you have any suggestions?! Here in Michigan Hunter boots are a staple!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 6:38 am

Really??? Are you wearing tall socks? Maybe that would help them slide off easier.

• Reply Smartypants February 17, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Hi Denise! I have the same problem! You must have small feet? I have thin legs also and mine are tight on the leg, (size 6) I just wear yoga pants or tights with these, not pants! My second pair I sized up (to a 7) they are still comfy, but I can wear a thicker sock and whatever pants and there is more space on the leg! They don’t look much bigger but I actually prefer the bigger look with space at the top, it’s cute!

• Reply Sarah February 15, 2017 at 6:24 am

Great post, love the outfit!! And thank you for the reminder to get annual check-ups. So, so important. Also praying for all those out there who are suffering.

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Reply Natalie February 15, 2017 at 6:29 am

Do you have any rain jacket recommendations?

• Reply Taylor Hall February 15, 2017 at 6:38 am

Hoping for a closet tour soon😉

• Reply Rebecca February 15, 2017 at 6:44 am

Love your new closet! Where did you get your rugs from? I apologize if you have shared their source previously, I am a relatively new follower but feel like I have known your family for years since I have went back and read all of your adoption posts. Thanks for sharing your story!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 7:04 am

You’re so sweet Rebecca!! I bought them online. They’re from Chip and Joanna Gaines’ collection.

• Reply SueR February 15, 2017 at 6:46 am

Yes get things checked but there’s lots of studies that show monthly breast exams are actually more effective in early detection and if you don’t have a family history annual mammograms and paps are not necessary. I had a 3-D mammogram, which is way better for those with dense breasts, done last year because I have come back way too many times as “possible” cancer to end up in biopsy and it be clean with regular mammograms. American drs recommend annual to make $ (and my husband is a Dr so I am not slamming Drs). Canada has put out many studies on these although when I mention them to my personal drs they claim to have no knowledge of such studies. I find that hard to believe if they are up to date on research and doing their journal reading.

• Reply Kar February 15, 2017 at 8:01 am

I second everything you say. Annual mammograms before 50 can be more detrimental. Also, guidelines are pap every 5 years. That cancer grows so slow there is no need for annual paps anymore. Find a dr who is up on the latest research. My dad is top exec at national cancer institute so I’ve heard my whole life about the fallacy of mammogram effectiveness. That and the prostate cancer test.

• Reply Carrie February 15, 2017 at 12:42 pm

You are spot on. The current suggestion in the US is actually annual mammograms starting at age 50. My dr suggests a baseline one at age 40 and then at age 45 unless something showed. Having had a few friends with breast cancer in which a mammogram was done less then a year before diagnosis I also feel like self exam is better. But we all have our own opinions! You have to do what you feel is best.

• Reply Sandy Manning February 15, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Also, thermography is a safer, more effective method than mammograms. They can catch tumors much earlier. There is a significant amount of controversy out there about mammos at the moment.

• Reply Georgette February 15, 2017 at 6:50 am

The Hudson jeans- do you have to have them tailored in length? I am 5’3. Thank you!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 7:03 am

I did not have to tailor this pair!

• Reply Megan February 15, 2017 at 6:50 am

I turned 40 last year and went for my first mammogram in November. Wham – diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks later. Luckily it is very treatable at this point. I had surgery 2 days before Christmas and am starting 6 weeks of radiation soon. I am so thankful my OB-GYN sent me for a mammogram when she did, because if I had waited, I might looking at a much different circumstance. Thank you for encouraging ladies to keep up with their exams and screenings. And thank you for the prayers. xoxo

• Reply KimW February 15, 2017 at 6:55 am

YES!! Get all the check-ups!! People are afraid of these appointments but I am a nurse and it is SO SO SO important to catch things early for the best chance for cure! Nice post – love a good basic outfit that you can MIX and MATCH so many different ways (haha – see what I did there?!!).

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life February 15, 2017 at 6:57 am

Totally snagging that olive scarf on sale, thanks! Loving your closet floors too!

• Reply Beth Miller February 15, 2017 at 6:58 am

I’m getting my first mammogram Friday! My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in December. Luckily it was super early and not invasive. It was found at her yearly mammogram. My cousin had stage 2 breast cancer last year. So important to get yearly checks and take control of your health! I’m a nurse and see so many people who would just rather not know and be ignorant on what’s happening in their bodies. Just don’t understand that logic.

• Reply Rebecca February 15, 2017 at 7:02 am

Love this outfit and those red boots! I have a pair of red boots and LOVE them. They are the perfect pop of color!! 🙂 Also, I totally agree with everyone else, and love the looks of the new closet- can’t wait to see a tour hopefully!!

• Reply Megan February 15, 2017 at 7:09 am

I love the peek at the other Hunters in the background. They really are the best! Closet tour soon please!!!

• Reply JoAnne February 15, 2017 at 7:22 am

To your point about annual exams; I have a yearly skin exam and have been fine. Since my last exam, I had a red “patch” (not a mole, flat and smooth like a big sun freckle) show up on the back of my arm (about three months after annual skin exam) and at first thought it was a bruise. Then, forgot about it. And, forgot about it. I went in early for my annual exam (at the 10.5 mark) and the nurse was upset about the “patch” and had it removed. Sure enough, a melanoma. I’ve been treated for it and pray all will be okay. But. Why oh why did I not go in sooner? Anything, anything, that pops up and seems out of the ordinary should be seen by a professional immediately. Early detection is key! Thank you for promoting and encouraging regular visits. (PS. My father in law died from leukemia… his doctor was the one who saw the symptoms inside his mouth. See your dentist regularly!)

• Reply Les February 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Joanne…SO sorry to hear you had melanoma found on your arm. I’d like to encourage you to go to an oncologist and follow up with a PET scan. Melanoma doesn’t stay on the skin, it invades every single organ and spot in the body (brain, lungs, liver, kidney, bones and blood). If it was found on the skin, it may be inside and you will not have any symptoms until it is too late. Better safe than sorry…go get a PET scan and make sure all is clear. It is controllable in the early stages, but once it is inside, it’s hard. Melanoma has no “cure” so once you have it, you have it for life. Good luck and I’ll pray for ya! And if you are in TX, MD Anderson is the best!

• Reply JoAnne February 15, 2017 at 7:24 am

(PS. My father in law died from leukemia… his DENTIST was the one who saw the symptoms inside his mouth. See your dentist regularly!) Please note correction… the dentist found his symptoms, not doctor.

• Reply Diane February 15, 2017 at 7:30 am

Love all of those basics and thanks for the reminder to stay on top of all of the routine checks!!

• Reply Natalie Clark February 15, 2017 at 7:41 am

I’m only 29 and already thinking about my first mammogram. My sister (34 years old) was just diagnosed with breast cancer and has her third round of chemo tomorrow. I’m so thankful she went in to check things out and caught everything early. You will also be happy to know, I am going for a skin check soon as well! Just channeling my inner Shay! ha

• Reply Susy February 15, 2017 at 7:42 am

Your closet looks great! Just one more addition–IKEA wooden hangers. They are not expensive. You can purchase them a few batches over time as your budget allows. They make such a difference in how your closet looks and how your clothes hang. I couldn’t live without them.

• Reply Amy February 15, 2017 at 8:09 am

Love the new closet! Having a ladder in my closet is now a goal of mine that I never even knew I needed until now. I think we need a closet tour 😉

• Reply emily February 15, 2017 at 8:10 am

Where did you get your beautiful rug in your closet?

• Reply Jenn McNemar February 15, 2017 at 8:10 am

Oh my goodness!! I seriously want a tour of your closet! It looks awesome! I’m a sucker for organization and clean lines!

• Reply Renee February 15, 2017 at 8:11 am

This is a really stupid question, but I have noticed in posts that you love these tanks. I know nothing about fashion, so question. Do you wear a bra underneath them or just the tank and the shirt?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 11:49 am

I wear a bra. I just like them for the extra layer/length.

• Reply Jess February 15, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Since we are on the topic, Do you have any recommendations for Bras? Have you done a post on this? I know Sheaffer has talked about one she wears, have you tried that out?

• Reply lauren ringel February 15, 2017 at 8:14 am

Early detection is so important! I have friends who are sisters and their mom passed away about 15 years ago due to breast cancer. The younger sister was diagnosed about 5 years ago when she was pregnant with her youngest son. It quickly metastasized and she’s now wheelchair bound. Rejoicing every new day she wakes up.
    The older sister was diagnosed just 3 weeks ago and had a total mastectomy on Friday.
    They obviously have the BRCA gene and were monitored closely but it’s up to us, the patient, to take our health seriously and be adamant when we feel something is not right.

• Reply Adrienne | Appetites Anonymous February 15, 2017 at 8:41 am

What size is your chambray shirt? Thanks!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 11:49 am

I bought the zero.

• Reply Stephanie February 15, 2017 at 8:48 am

Will you do a before and after of your closet? And why you changed it after only a short time? I’ve lived in my house for 3 1/2 years and I’m also redoing mine I’d love to see what you thought needed to change!!!

• Reply emily @ a little bit of emily February 15, 2017 at 8:58 am

Your new closet looks gorgeous – like everyone else I am loving your floors and those rugs!!

• Reply Martha February 15, 2017 at 9:05 am

Such a cute outfit!! Love my Hunter boots!! Think about opting for Thermogram instead of Mammograms! NO RADIATION and a great alternative! I have lots of breast cancer in my fam and quit doing the mammograms bc there is a strong link to cancer that docs don’t talk about….. totally agree with staying on top of all that! Moms have to take care of themselves!

• Reply Jess K. February 15, 2017 at 9:48 am

I know a few other people commented on your closet and a tour, but before and after pics of what you changed would be really exciting to see 🙂

• Reply Angela Ellingson February 15, 2017 at 9:59 am

Your closet is a dream! I added the tanks, grey jeans, and Hunter rain boots to my Nordstrom wish list. Now, wish me luck getting them worked into our budget. 😉

• Reply Lauren Raney February 15, 2017 at 10:00 am

Would you ever share more on your closet? Since you kind of recently built your house and now have redone your closet I would love to see changes? We will be building in the next year or so and I have had two friends build and both of them wish they would have designed their closets different.
    Praying for all those fighting the battle with cancer!!!!

• Reply Kathryn February 15, 2017 at 10:11 am

WOW! Thank you to your reader Suer for the 3D recommendation….mammograms hurt me and I have a high pain tolerance so will be sure to look into that. I also have skin cancer and am overdue on my appointment so I’ll get that scheduled today! Prayers for Manda today and all the others that are suffering. It’s International Childhood Cancer Day today so even more prayers going up for that cause. My 14-year old daughter lost her friend to cancer in September.

• Reply Mercedes February 15, 2017 at 10:23 am

Please do a closet tour soon!

• Reply Lindsay February 15, 2017 at 10:32 am

I definitely think on your next home tour post, you should include full pics of your closet. I’m loving the floors, the rugs, the under rack drawers. Just need to see the rest so I can love it too!!

• Reply Amy February 15, 2017 at 10:35 am

Rainboots. Something I never buy but am now convince I need. Thanks!

• Reply Jennifer February 15, 2017 at 11:07 am

Have you ever considered doing Thermography in place of your mammogram? Zero radiation and you can usually see things there before they show up on a mammogram. I went to a place in Lewisville……would be a bit of a drive for you but I’m sure you can google and find a place in McKinney. I really liked the guy I used (can give you the name if you need it) I know we are educated to get mammograms regularly but it just seems weird to use radiation when trying to detect cancer?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 11:48 am

One of my very good friends used it this fall…but after she was done, she went and had a regular mammogram because she said she just didn’t feel confident.

• Reply Katherine February 15, 2017 at 11:29 am

Couldn’t agree more with your ending paragraph!! I work in the medical field and just wish more people understood that those routine exams are SO important. And if you’re not getting mammograms for whatever reason (a lot of providers won’t offer it until at least age 40), then self breast exam regularly!! You know yourself better than anyone else 🙂 and you can get breast cancer at any age.
    A friend of mine is only 30 and recently self discovered a breast lump, and is now undergoing treatment for cancer. Please keep her in your prayers!

• Reply Kayla B February 15, 2017 at 11:41 am

So cute! I *love* Big Apple Red OPI, and I just got my first pair of short, glossy blue Hunter boots with my birthday money! Question: do you not wear your boots with the fleece lining inserts? I was told they would be really uncomfortable to wear without them, but they are kind of bulky with them in.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 11:47 am

No, I just wear mine with basic socks.

• Reply Ellen Brown February 15, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Love your outfit and your closet. Who did you use to do your closet? I would love to have mine redone!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm

We used a local builder. Thank you!

• Reply Gina February 15, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Closet tour please!!!

I agree on the healthy testing. I got mine 2 weeks ago, had my bone density test yesterday and my colonoscopy next week. Early detection is key!!!

Thank you Shay!

• Reply Heather S February 15, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Your new closet….swoon!! All. The Heart. Eyes!!!

• Reply Alexis deZayas February 15, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Your closet looks SO good!!!

• Reply Whitney Pegram February 15, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Ok I’m obsessed with your closet, girl!!

• Reply Susie February 15, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Shay, would you please share the color and brand of your gorgeous closet floors? I am re-doing all my downstairs flooring, and yours seems to be the exact color I’m looking for. Thank you so much!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 15, 2017 at 2:46 pm

They’re wood floors that we stained with an espresso stain.

• Reply Jen February 15, 2017 at 2:47 pm

We don’t get much rain where I live, mostly snow, but your cute outfits always make me think I need a pair of Hunter boots 🙂

• Reply Mary February 15, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Nordstrom’s sells Ugg replacement sheepskin liners that I use instead in my Hunter rain boots. The liners are only about $15, but oh my, they make Hunter boots so, so comfy!

• Reply Mary February 15, 2017 at 3:05 pm

They’re called insoles (not liners.) Here’s the link to Nordstrom’s:

• Reply Shannon February 15, 2017 at 4:13 pm

LOVING… your new closet!! hoping we get to have a tour soon!!!

• Reply Nicole February 15, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Love these looks, Shay! We are building and I am so lost on how to design my closet. Any tips??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama February 16, 2017 at 4:55 am

Pinterest 🙂 !

• Reply Jenna February 16, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Shay! We need a closet tour soon! It looks amazing!! Love this outfit, thank you for sharing! 🙂

• Reply Shelly February 16, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I love my J Crew field jacket…wearing it today in fact in burgundy!!

• Reply Southern & Style February 18, 2017 at 10:10 am

I love so much that you added in that little part at the end about getting physicals and mammograms. My sweet mother in law bravely fought breast cancer (& beat it!) but it still dealing with the after affects of it now. Early detection truly is the key. I wish we women could beat the stigma of all of those things and be open and honest with one another about them.

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo, SS

Southern And Style

• Reply Mandi S February 21, 2017 at 1:11 pm

So glad you mentioned skin exams! My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 melanoma at 38 yo. He had to have 2 surgeries and 20 rounds of chemo with so many scans/colonoscopies/hospital stays. If we had caught it earlier we may have saved ourselves a lot of heartache ( he is cancer free right now) I just took my 4 year old to his first dermatologist appointment and will continue to have him checked every year.