Boston to L.A.

Whew!  What a busy weekend we just had.

I’m still tired.

On Thursday, I took Ashby to Boston to visit a Vascular Anomalies Clinic early Friday morning.  And then on Sunday, I took Kensington and Smith to L.A. to help me cook on Hallmark’s Home & Family show.  It was a whirlwind of a weekend and I have the pictures to prove it…

Thursday afternoon, the two of us flew to Boston together.  I love this sweet girl so much.  She was so excited to travel alone with me.  She had it all planned out: room service, a movie and playing.  We had been trying to get into this vascular anomalies clinic since July, so needless to say, we were pumped to be on our way.

Has her ticket and is ready to board the plane!

We arrived Thursday evening just in time to see the sun go down over beautiful Boston.

All she wanted to do was order room service and play…which worked out well because it was cold out and we had to get to bed early.  We had to wake up the next morning at 4:30 AM which in Dallas time was 3:30 AM. #yuck  We played with her mermaids and watched Trolls on the hotel TV. #score

Rise and shine!  Here we are at Boston Children’s Hospital at 5:30 AM.  Our first appointment was at 6:15 and we had to get there early to check in.  We were to see five specialists in all that day.

And here we are on our way out.  Whew.  We left the hospital around 11:00 and headed straight back to the airport.  I’ll be honest, it was a very emotional morning.  There were highs and there were some really low lows.  The best news of all is that every single doctor there said we were doing the right things here in Dallas and that they do not think we should seek treatment elsewhere.  They unanimously agreed that she is getting the best medical attention right where we are which is a MAJOR blessing because my prayer had been that Boston didn’t tell us to go a completely different direction with her treatments and such (because geez that would have really complicated things!).  Some of the things they talked about were downright bleak and depressing.  They’re things this mommy heart does not want to hear and/or think about…but they’re truths that we just need to pray through.  God is so good and I know that He is in control.  Right now, the biggest blessing is that Ashby is unaware.  There will come a day when she’s fully aware and right now, I’m savoring every moment she is not.

At the airport, I found my happy place…an outlet, a coffee and a book.  Because that stuff can just make you happy :).

She played in the airport kids’ area for about 30 minutes before we took off.  And there was a sign that asked kids to remove their shoes…or else, I would have left them on…because you know, #yuck.

One more of my girl and me.

And then on Sunday after church…I headed off with these two…

We were L.A. bound to cook on Home & Family!

I don’t get a lot of one on one time with just the bigs.  Most days, it’s me and the littles all day, so this was nice!

Kensington decided to work on her posture while we waited for our flight…

…I’m up for any sort of entertainment at the airport ;).

We arrived in sunny Burbank that evening and the weather was so nice that we walked to our hotel.  Side note, we flew into the Burbank Airport which I have decided is a million times better than flying into LAX!

It was bedtime back home when we arrived, so we said goodnight to these two cuties…

…they were having a fun time with Daddy!

And then, we watched a movie in our hotel room.  National Treasure for the win!

And then mercy me…Andrew sent me pictures from our yard.  We had a “hail” of a storm!  Geez!  So. Much. Hail.

Ugh.  Hail is no good.

The next morning, we had a lazy time and then it was time for us to get ready for the show.  We headed out at 10:00 ready to go…

I took a picture of my earrings because they make me happy 🙂 .  They come in four different colors.

My dress and my shoes make me happy too 🙂 .

We arrived at Universal and headed to the Hallmark Home & Family house.  It’s an actual house that is too, too, too cute!!

(And so many people asked about sweet Kensington’s outfit.  It’s here: top, jeans, sandals.

We had been talking about this trip since November, so it was so nice to finally be there in person!

Crazy fun with my big two!

Knock, knock!  Someone let us in!

Ahhh!  It’s almost show time!

But first, we rehearsed.  My kids were so excited and a little nervous too.  Smith (who talks constantly!) was really quiet while we were rehearsing.  Kensington, on the other hand, was ready for an agent ;).  (I love her sweet face here!)  Just like the last time I was on, I thought Debbie Matenopoulos was the sweetest thing EVER!

And Mr. Phil Keoghan over there (host of The Amazing Race) was filling in for Mark Steines, and he was unbelievably friendly and funny too!

We started the show outside with all of the day’s guests.  It was so windy!!  The pots you see behind us kept blowing over.  Ha!  We made do and laughed about it A LOT!

Then, it was time to move inside for our cooking segment.  Here are a bunch of pics from that fun time…

After we did our segment, the crew went back outside to play a game…

And that was SO MUCH FUN!

The hosts and guests for the day!

Seriously, SO MUCH FUN!  If you missed our cooking segment, you can see it HERE.

And we wrapped up our day with a reality TV segment too.

After that was all over, we headed straight back to the airport to catch a flight home.

Whew!  It was a FULL weekend…but a precious one too.  It’s not that often that I get so much specific one on one time with my kiddos.  It was a weekend we’ll always remember!

Print Friendly

• Reply Erika Slaughter March 30, 2017 at 4:58 am

You sure did have a whirlwind weekend. First of all, I’m praying for Ashby (and you) but such an answered prayer they told you to stick with what you’re doing. I watched the show last night and you guys were amazing!! Your kids did so good! So so proud of those two (and you). Now go take a nap, friend! XO

• Reply Megan March 30, 2017 at 5:09 am

Praying for Ashby and her entire medical team. How blessed are you to get to be her mama? Your time at Hallmark looked like so much fun!

• Reply Bailey Bryant March 30, 2017 at 5:27 am

What a wonderful testimony Ashby will have for Jesus!

• Reply Leslie Z. March 30, 2017 at 5:45 am

What cool memories your babies are going to have for a lifetime!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims March 30, 2017 at 5:50 am

God has his hands all over Ashby. So thankful this little girl from across the world is EXACTLY where she needs to be to get the medical attention she needs.

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog March 30, 2017 at 5:52 am

Fingers crossed for Ashby! Also… It always amazes me that you are able to travel with so many kids in tow!

• Reply Francesca March 30, 2017 at 5:57 am

Can you provide a link to the Home And Family segment?

• Reply ELizabeth March 30, 2017 at 6:21 am

Such a fun filled week! Prayers for sweet Ashby!
    Xo, Elizabeth

• Reply Paula March 30, 2017 at 6:23 am

Prayers for sweet Ashby! God is faithful! He will walk you through each stage & prepare hee heart (yours too) as needed.

• Reply Stacy March 30, 2017 at 6:42 am

Where do you reccomendend staying in Boston?? What is the number one place to eat and see ??? Hopefully going this fall !!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 7:26 am

Union Oyster House to eat and we love staying in the Beacon Hill area!

• Reply Katrina March 30, 2017 at 6:47 am

Strange question – what are the little mermaid toys that Ashby is playing with?
    Thanks – cheers from Toronto, Canada

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 7:26 am

They’re from the Disney Store. I don’t think they’re recent though. Maybe from the fall?

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life March 30, 2017 at 6:49 am

Wow what a whirlwind weekend for sure! I’m so glad you heard that you are doing all the right things for Ashby in Texas, even if all the right things are hard to accept. I am sure your bigs loved every single minute being with just you! You all rocked the show, seriously!!

• Reply Narci Dreffs March 30, 2017 at 7:01 am

What a weekend! I am praying for our girl, Ashby! And, you all were so precious on Home and Family! SO PROUD!!

• Reply Elizabeth March 30, 2017 at 7:14 am

Shay! Did it notice that is says you’re in the kitchen with your daughter Kensington and son, Shane? Looks like they got Smith’s name wrong! Whoops!

• Reply Holly March 30, 2017 at 7:29 am

Prayers for adorable Ashby. So glad you went to Boston Children’s to have peace of mind. What a blessing to know you are on the right path. Praying for her future and her health.

God Bless,
    Holly

• Reply kellie carrara March 30, 2017 at 7:32 am

Oh my! What an emotional post! I’m so glad you’re doing all the right things for Miss A! If you met with a Dr. Mulliken and his team I know you were in good hands. They treated my daughter for the first 5 years of her life. It is always amazing, daunting, scary and hopeful to visit BCH, I’m glad you got answers. We will be praying for all of you!

And LA — how fun! I like Burbank WAY better than LAX too — I stay in a cute neighborhood that is fun to walk around and close to the studios, too.

• Reply Jenna March 30, 2017 at 7:37 am

What a whirlwind of a weekend. I am glad you got answers about Ashby, but sad that some of it was heart breaking.

• Reply Laura March 30, 2017 at 7:42 am

Wow, that is a crazy busy weekend! Glad for the sweet moments with your kids, and I’m praying for Ashby and the whole family. ❤

• Reply Melissa Goetz March 30, 2017 at 7:57 am

Hi Shay! Off topic, but what is your favorite lunch/dinner spot in McKinney? We are driving to Waco, TX soon from St. Louis and are stopping in McKinney for a night!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Head to our downtown square! Lunch at Spoons and dinner at either Cadillac Pizza or Harvest :).

• Reply Milissa Marona March 30, 2017 at 8:04 am

Your Kensington was so sweet on that segment with her story of the blender! I live in Pasadena and I try NEVER to fly out of LAX, the traffic is a hot mess and Burbank airport is the best!!! Prayers for sweet Ashby…her smile is pure magic 🙂

• Reply Rebecca Brittain March 30, 2017 at 8:05 am

I don’t know how you do it all, but it is inspiring to follow along with your busy, love and joy filled life. XOXO

• Reply cassie {hi sugarplum} March 30, 2017 at 8:07 am

Dang, now I’m exhausted!!! You’re amazing! I couldn’t be more excited for you! xo

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt March 30, 2017 at 8:30 am

Great news for Ashby! I know it’s so reassuring to hear that you’re doing exactly what’s best for her! And loved your segment on Home and Family! I have really enjoyed this cookbook!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Rebecca Jo March 30, 2017 at 8:43 am

Lady – you are a MACHINE able to do all of this traveling, being a momma & looking GOOD on tv 😉 Keep it up!

• Reply Julie March 30, 2017 at 8:58 am

I saw the segment, and K and S were ADORABLE! Seriously, the sweetest kids ever. And you looked beautiful! Sending Ashby the best wishes, she is such a brave and amazing child.

• Reply Ahsia March 30, 2017 at 9:17 am

Praying for your sweet little girl. I love reading about you and your family. My two youngest also love to cook, so we will definitely check out your cooking segment. Based on the ingredients, it looks like something my kids will like to eat. BTW, I love your dress. Where did you get it?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Nordstrom! I linked to it today!!

• Reply Angela Ellingson March 30, 2017 at 9:49 am

Just watched your Home and Family segment again! LOVE!!! And love all the pictures! So happy for you for your special time with your kids. Praising God for answers from experts and excellent medical care for sweet Ashby.

• Reply Kim March 30, 2017 at 10:02 am

Play areas in airports are amazing. We love the one at O’Hare- it’s better than most mall play areas 😍

• Reply Ashlan Z March 30, 2017 at 10:06 am

Loving your finds on Nordstrom, especially the dress you wore. Like Amazon, does Nordstrom give you suggestions on what you may like? We have very similar style so I’d love to know how you find these great outfits. Thanks Shay!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 12:27 pm

It totally does!

• Reply Jennifer March 30, 2017 at 10:06 am

My heart sunk when you talked about Ashby’s appointment. I’ll be praying for your sweet girl. Also, where did you find that cute dress that Kensington is wearing at the airport when she’s working on her posture? 😊

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Matilda Jane 🙂

• Reply Lucy March 30, 2017 at 10:11 am

Sending prayers for Ashby. I love how you find time to make special individual time for all your kids!
    Quick question… could you do a post on what you have learned re: hair & make up for cameras? I know sometimes you have it done professionally, but have you learned different tips / tricks for what looks good on camera? It’s rarely the same for real life! Thanks 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 12:26 pm

That’s a great idea, Lucy!

• Reply Andrea March 30, 2017 at 10:38 am

LAX is the worst! We travel to So Cal a lot to visit our kids in college, and we avoid LAX like the plague!

• Reply Kelsey March 30, 2017 at 10:55 am

What a great weekend!! I’m glad to hear Ashby’s doctors in Dallas are doing everything right. What a relief to know you’re doing everything you can for your little girl! All 3 of you did a great job on the show too!

• Reply Keisha M Dawson March 30, 2017 at 11:20 am

Oh my goodness! What a crazy, FUN weekend! I’m so glad to know Burbank is better than LAX. I’ve been trying to decide between the two for an upcoming trip.

• Reply Corbie March 30, 2017 at 11:48 am

Oh that was so fun to watch! Thanks for posting the link! What a busy week; one side of the country to the next! I will be keeping sweet Ashby in my prayers. She is a warrior and such a beauty, both inside and out.

• Reply Tanya March 30, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Congrats on your Home and Family segment…so fun!

• Reply Karen March 30, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I love following your adventures!!! You guys have so much fun!! Ashby is always in my prayers. Please tell me about Kensington’s ballet flats she had on during her poise practice. Ha at first I thought they were little ped socks………….Thanks

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 1:02 pm

They’re from Nordstrom! This is my third pair to buy over the years because she wears them so much (and her feet continue to grow). She loves them!

• Reply Mandy March 30, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Where can I find the recipe for the Crescent Roll Tacos?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 30, 2017 at 1:02 pm

In my new book :).

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World March 30, 2017 at 12:45 pm

SO incredible, Shay! You’re doing BIG things, friend. And you deserve all of it! I love that your cookbooks are so successful! I use mine every week!

• Reply Kacy March 30, 2017 at 1:16 pm

That pic with Ashby’s hand on your cheek is too precious – love her and your fam!

• Reply Natalie Clark March 30, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I am definitely going to be ordering the new cookbook after seeing those delicious tacos! And, oh my, Kensington looks so tall in the pictures of her with the book on her head!

• Reply Jocie March 30, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Oh no! They said you have a son named Shane in the caption of the video haha

• Reply Britt March 30, 2017 at 2:11 pm

We received our letter from Boston 9 days ago, and I sent it to our doc here in Dallas. Today, we are hoping to hear from the VAC at Children’s since what Boston recommended was not the same as what came from Children’s. We so understand your Mama’s heart, but you are doing great and Ashby reminds us so much of Aubie. She will do great in life because she has you. Best wishes.

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick March 30, 2017 at 2:34 pm

You were gorgeous and those earrings are my favorite!! Prayers for sweet Ashby!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Kristin S March 30, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Yes to Bob Hope Burbank Airport! It’s a dream! I think you stayed at the same hotel I did in July just across the street. That was dreamy too! So easy to access.

• Reply Beth March 30, 2017 at 5:00 pm

How fun to share your love of cooking with your kids! I can’t wait to watch the segment! Praying for continual progress for dear Ashby!

• Reply Susan March 30, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Love your posts! Where did you stay in Burbank?
    I wish I could travel as effortlessly as you do!
    What airline would you suggest for a flight to England?
    Thank you!
    Susan B : )

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 31, 2017 at 4:52 am

I stayed at the Marriott and I would use whatever airline got me there with the least amount of layovers (preferably, non) and for the best price. I’m not super partial to airlines.

• Reply Susan March 31, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply Jamie Owens March 30, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Hi! What is the yoga app (s) that you use?
    Btw…love your blog!
    Thank you!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama March 31, 2017 at 4:51 am

Kristin McGee!

• Reply Shan March 31, 2017 at 2:05 am

Love that you got to spend some quality time with the kiddos alone, and makes them feel so special! Prayers for sweet Ashby 🙂 thanks for sharing the pics, can’t wait to receive your cookbooks in the mail!!!

• Reply Sharon Krushcen March 31, 2017 at 5:04 pm

How cute! If you are ever in the area for a bit longer I’d love to grab some coffee with you. xo

• Reply KimW April 3, 2017 at 11:33 am

Hi Shay – the link for the segment on the home and family show is not working — is there another place to find it?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 3, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Oh boo! I don’t know why it’s not working?

• Reply Shelly April 7, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Behind on my blog reading and catching up! What a fun opportunity!

• Reply Ashlee Brown April 11, 2017 at 10:11 am

Hi Shay! Your segment with the kids was so cute! I’m praying for your sweet little Ashby. It sounds like she is definitely in the right hands. I have a daughter her age and I was wondering if you could tell me what kids of mermaid dolls she was playing with. They look like something my daughter would love. Thank you!

• Reply Jaren April 17, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Prayers for sweet Ashby! I’m glad you guys received confirmation you are going in the right direction with her treatments. Praying for wisdom of her physicians and for her to continue to tolerate the treatments well. I’m also praying for your mama heart. I know that must be hard, but I can’t help but be in awe at how God’s plan was to give her such an awesome family who could take care of her. And to see how she has brought such joy to your home is so amazing! God is so good!