Friday Favorites

Friday Favorites 01

Whew!  We have been blowin’ and goin’ this week!  I don’t know what it is…but the end of the school year kicks my tail EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  There are so many fun events, class parties, and stuff like that this time of year, that we’re always on the move.  This morning, I’m attending the first grade mother’s day breakfast and reader’s theater…so it’s busy but SPECIAL this time of year.

I’m linking up with three of my favorite friends, Andrea, Erika and Narci and sharing some of my favorite things from the week.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a very happy Mother’s Day.  Just a side note, this week, a group of girls and I had dinner with sweet Manda’s mom.  This is going to be a very tough year for her mom, her hubby and her kiddos.  I know that their family isn’t the only one experiencing loss this Mother’s Day.  Please know that today, as I pray for Manda’s family, I’m praying for you too.

xo

One of my unexpected favorites this week was…

donnie02

…my Memory Lane post 🙂 .  With every comment, I smiled more and more!  You girls reminded me of so many things from my childhood that I hadn’t thought about in YEARS! Hello jellies?!  I had this clear blue pair that I LOVED!  You also made me miss my Caboodle!!!  I remember mine!  It was mint green and peach 🙂 .  So, if you missed this post, click HERE.  It was definitely a favorite of mine!

I have been busy ordering some graduation gifts for this year.  I was hoping to take a pic of one of them for today’s post…but my shipping notification says it arrives today.  So, what did I buy two of my favorite graduates?  These…

savannah

Barrington Bags :).

I have blogged about these little totes about 8 million times, so it’s nothing new…but this year, I had two special friends graduate high school and decided to gift them totes instead of the usual graduation gift card.  They come in so many fun colors (seriously, click HERE and create your own using their fun patterns, stripes and monograms).  I even created this one for myself to take on our trip this summer (because I love a big tote to hang on our stroller because I need to haul diapers, wipes, my kids’ jackets, umbrellas, etc)…

SLS

…so, when it arrives, I’ll take a pic and show you!  I bought my mother-in-law one for Christmas this past year because they travel all the time and she loves it.  I really think it’s the perfect bag for every girl.

So, last week, I showed you this daily outfit of mine…

IMG_1895

PINEAPPLE TEE//SHORTS//SANDALS

…and I thought it would be fun to do it again this week.  I don’t know about you, but outfits like this are on repeat in my life…

FullSizeRender (29)

STRIPED TEE//SHORTS//FLIP FLOPS//HAT//EARRINGS

IMG_2114 (1)

Me in my daily uniform number one…

IMG_2274 (1)

…and then a few days later, I repeated but with these shorts instead for outfit number two.

IMG_2278

(And just an FYI, I think these shorts run a tad big, so if you’re in-between, order one size down.)

It was a big week in the Shull’s house!

In January, my two big kids said they wanted some sort of watch like our Apple watches.  Andrew and I thought that was a fantastic idea!  We love anything that encourages our kids to be more active and get better sleep (it rates your sleep), but we didn’t want to buy them for the kids, we wanted them to earn it.  So, as a family, we researched what kind of watch we thought they would need, figured out the price plus tax and then told them they needed to earn it.  So, over the last four months, they earned enough money doing chores, extra work, and such around the house one dollar at a time (never more than a dollar) that on Monday night, they each had enough to take their money to the store and buy their watches…

IMG_2244

IMG_2242

…and they are so proud with their first big purchase!  Now, we’ve only had these watches a few days, so I’m not ready to make a full review, but this is what I like about them so far:

1: They’re waterproof.
2: They have an internal battery that lasts about a year, so you do not have to charge it daily (like an Apple watch).
3: We have their watches synced up to our phones, so we can monitor activity, steps, sleep cycles, and even other things.  (For example: They’re able to log in their reading hours, TV hours, chores, etc.)
4: They’re kid sized so they fit their little wrists just perfectly.
5: They have timers on there to monitor activity (so if I say they can have 30 minutes of screen time, the timer goes off after 30 minutes).
6: We have it set to shut off automatically at 8:00 PM and then turn back on again at 6:30 AM ( so that they can’t mess with them when they’re supposed to be sleeping).

We bought ours at Best Buy.  They are Garmin Vivofit Jr. Activity Trackers.

Every day this week, they’ve tried to beat the step record from the day before.  It shoots off fireworks on the screen every time they complete and/or beat a goal.  This has really been a great thing for us!

Did you see this post

Mother's Day Menu

…I have your Mother’s Day Menu COVERED!  From appetizers to breakfast recipes, entrees and desserts too, I have everything you need for your weekend HERE.

And then today, one other recipe that would be perfect for your weekend…

Lemon Raspberry Scones

Lemon Raspberry Scones.  These were a BIG hit at my house!

Happy Mother’s Day Weekend friends!  Sending so much love from me to you!

xo

Print Friendly

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog May 12, 2017 at 4:39 am

Stripes are pretty much my daily uniform too. Stripes or a plain black or white tee.

• Reply Kate May 12, 2017 at 4:52 am

Love reading your posts. 🙂

• Reply emily @ a little bit of emily May 12, 2017 at 5:04 am

I had no clue they had trackers for kids – what a neat idea!

• Reply Jess May 12, 2017 at 5:06 am

What color polish do you have on with your red shorts??? Thanks! (You must have figured at least one person would ask 😉).

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 5:23 am

OPI Bright Lights Big City! It’s one of my FAVORITES!!!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams May 12, 2017 at 5:08 am

How exciting for Kensington and Smith! I think thats awesome that they had to anticipate a big purchase like that with household chores. I cannot wait to break out my jean shorts after your outfit post! Happy Mother’s Day!
    xo

• Reply Audrey May 12, 2017 at 5:08 am

Happy Mother’s Day to you and all the ladies who lead by examples! It goes without saying, Shay, you’re doing such a great job!

• Reply Laura H May 12, 2017 at 5:16 am

I didn’t realize they had fitness trackers/smart watches that are just for kids! What a fun idea & something they will get a lot of use out of. Can you please share the details on K’s outfit in the picture with her new watch where she’s hugging the binder? I know you’ve shared the shoes, but I also love her top and the coordinating skinny jeans!

• Reply Courtney May 12, 2017 at 5:29 am

Thank you for praying for me. Xoxo

• Reply Michelle V. May 12, 2017 at 5:30 am

Shay, my daughter got the Garmin Vívofit Jr. for Christmas and has LOVED it! However, it’s now a bit snug on her wrist and causing some redness/rash areas when she wears it! I sure wish they made bigger bands. Let me know how it goes for you!

• Reply Aja May 12, 2017 at 5:30 am

Santa brought my 8 year old a Vívofit for Christmas and he loves it! I love it bc he can always tell the time- super handy for when he’s at a friend’s house playing and needs to come home at a certain time. My younger son is earning one through good behavior in school. They’re all the rage at our local elementary. My kids like the patterned ones Target sells. 🙂

• Reply Stacy May 12, 2017 at 5:44 am

Such a fun post! I love how proud your kids look with their watches!!! Where is your cute Apple Watch band from with all the perforations?? I need a new band!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 6:04 am

It’s a Nike band sold at Apple stores or on apple.com :).

• Reply Becca May 12, 2017 at 5:45 am

We got our 5 year old the same tracker for Christmas and she still wears it every day. (Finally a gift the doesn’t get thrown on a shelf with all the other toys!) I didn’t realize all the additional functionality so now I’m excited to do more with it. It’s really been a great purchase for her and we love seeing how active she is.

• Reply KN May 12, 2017 at 5:49 am

Several of my kids at school wear those- the only thing is a few have gotten a rash under it because they wear it all the time (esp if they get hot at gym or recess). Just something to keep an eye out on :).

• Reply Lesley McFarland May 12, 2017 at 5:52 am

Those watches are THE BEST!!! I got both my kids a cheaper version just to make sure they keep up with them before we made the investment. My son is obsessed with his steps. Him and his friends have a contest everyday to see who gets more steps. I’ll look up and see him running in circles just to get extra steps.

• Reply Sheaffer Sims May 12, 2017 at 5:53 am

Carter’s been wanting a tracker type thing too! Going to check this one out!!!!

• Reply Sarah May 12, 2017 at 5:54 am

Happy Friday!! The watches look fantastic, and are such a cool way to teach kids about fitness, good sleep and other healthy habits!

Hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day!! I’ll be praying for Manda and others that have experienced loss. Enjoy your weekend!! 🙂

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Reply Whitney Pegram May 12, 2017 at 6:20 am

Happy Friday!! Can’t wait for you to do the full review on the watches because those look amazing!

• Reply Narci Dreffs May 12, 2017 at 6:25 am

Those Barrington Bags are so cute!! And, Kensington and Smith look so grownup in that picture of them!!! Happy Friday!!

• Reply Kim May 12, 2017 at 6:26 am

Awesome that they had to earn and buy it themselves! As a 29 yr old, that’s one of the most valuable lessons my parents taught me. I started working/babysitting at 11, and bought a brand spankin’ new car by myself at 16. Sure makes you appreciate it!

• Reply Melissa May 12, 2017 at 6:39 am

So cute! And I haven’t bought one for my daughters…How many steps do your kids average? It seems like a million more than adults.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:49 am

I would say that they’ve been averaging around 13,000!

• Reply Kristina Kleckner May 12, 2017 at 6:42 am

Will you do a post on your favorite Nespresso flavors? I saw yours in your coffee cup:) I have one and never know which flavors to buy. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:49 am

We love the caramel one the most!

• Reply Heather May 12, 2017 at 6:45 am

Love the idea of making them earn the watches. They will appreciate them so much more! I also seriously love that pineapple tshirt. Hmmm….Happy Mothers Day to me??

Enjoy your weekend!!!

• Reply Alexis deZayas May 12, 2017 at 7:15 am

You couldn’t look cuter in that striped top!!

• Reply Alicia May 12, 2017 at 7:20 am

Those scones look delicious! I’ll be pinning it to make in the future. I love the rugs in your closet! Where did you get them from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:48 am

Online! They’re from Chip and Joanna Gaines’ collection!

• Reply Talitha May 12, 2017 at 7:45 am

I’m so glad you and your friends took Manda’s mom for lunch. Having her daughter’s friends reach out and love on her will go a long way toward her her healing. You are a thoughtful precious friend and I consider you mine as well.

• Reply Coleen May 12, 2017 at 7:49 am

I’m so glad you posted this! I was planning on getting my boyfriend an Apple Watch for this birthday, and didn’t know if I should get the 38mm or 42mm; it made me remember that you did a whole review on yours and once you said Andrew has the 42mm, it confirmed that I was getting the right one!

• Reply Jenna May 12, 2017 at 7:49 am

My kiddos would love that watch/tracker. I wear a FitBit and my kids are obsessed. They have been asking for their own for awhile now. I will have to look into these. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply heidi May 12, 2017 at 7:52 am

Oh your graduates are going to be thrilled☺love those watches for the kiddos, what a great idea

• Reply Kelly May 12, 2017 at 7:58 am

You are going to make some high school grads extremely happy with those bags, darling! The activity trackers are such a great idea, love that you had the kids earn them AND they look so happy with their purchase:). Happy Mother’s Day , Shay. I have no doubt that your family will celebrate you well!

• Reply Christy May 12, 2017 at 8:06 am

Completely unrelated, but what was the eye brightener you told us about that glam squad suggested?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

Becca! So good!!!

• Reply Lindsay Wagner May 12, 2017 at 8:06 am

How do the distressed denim shorts fit?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

True to size!

• Reply Tracy Millar May 12, 2017 at 8:10 am

Love the striped t…what size did you order? I see the smallest on the website is a small? I want to be you when I grow up….haha…I am 47 now 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

Small!

• Reply Sara May 12, 2017 at 8:17 am

Girlfriend! Where did you find the watch band in the pink shorts outfit pic?! Love!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

Apple.com 🙂

• Reply Heather May 12, 2017 at 8:39 am

Love the striped shirt! So cute.

• Reply Kerry Dorman May 12, 2017 at 8:51 am

I bought both of our boys the vivofit juniors for Christmas and they have not taken them off since. They love that in the morning when they do their chores that they can see the coins show up! We are about to have to replace them both though, the screens go black in spots (like ink blots). But my boys are 5 & 7 and are all boy! Even with that, I still believe we got the best fit tracker for kids. When we replace, I’ll get the same ones, they LOVE them!

• Reply Lynn May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

Happy mothers day to my favorite blog!!! Thank you for being so inspiring! I love the active band idea! Quick question for you, where did you buy your Apple Watch from?! And what size was it again? I can’t seem to find the post!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:48 am

The Apple Store and it’s the 42mm!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick May 12, 2017 at 9:00 am

First, those Barrington bags are adorable. I think I need one. Second, the watches are exactly what my boys need! They’ve been asking for a fitbit but I wasn’t so sure. I thought they’d get bored with it and it they fall off so easily. But you may have convinced me to check out the Garmin watch! It sounds perfect for the boys! And three, you make the simplest tee/shorts/flip flops look so stinkin cute, every single time! Happy Mother’s Day to a great mama!!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Tish May 12, 2017 at 9:41 am

I received my Apple watch in March for my Bday and am still learning about all the good things! You mentioned the Apple watch can keep up with sleep cycle. I have kept up with sleep cycle previously on a Fitbit but was afraid to sleep in the watch and damage it. Do you sleep in your Apple watch?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:48 am

I don’t because my Sleep Number bed now keeps up with my sleep cycle 😉 .

• Reply Kristi @ Happily Ever Griedls May 12, 2017 at 9:45 am

Totally random BUT what color Miller’s are those sandals?! I’ve been going back and forth about either the brown leather pair or the sand patent and can’t decide! Are they comfy or do you need to break them in for a bit first? Love the ones you have on!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 12, 2017 at 11:48 am

They are SO COMFY!! Those are the sand patent. Love them so much!

• Reply Rebecca Jo May 12, 2017 at 9:48 am

Those jr fitness trackers sound amazing!!! I love Garmin!

• Reply Ariadna May 12, 2017 at 9:58 am

Fit trackers for kids are such a good idea. My daughter wants one like mine but she’s only 4, so she’ll have to wait a couple more years for hers. The ones you got your kiddos, are they the same ones that you can track your steps and depending on the amount of steps it donates money or things (I’m not sure) to a non-profit organization? I can’t remember where I saw it and I didn’t look into it because I don’t need one right now, but I think that’s a good idea too. Even for adults it would be a good idea. If I knew my walking would help donate something to a non-profit somewhere, I’d probably try to walk a little more! 😉

• Reply Corbie May 12, 2017 at 10:08 am

Love the way you made them earn their money Shay; what a fantastic idea and I bet it means so much more to them that they earned them! Way to go momma! Happy Mother’s Day this weekend!

• Reply Nikki May 12, 2017 at 10:27 am

How fun are those watches! What a great way to keep the kids motivated 🙂 I want one for myself now haha 🙂

• Reply WhittyWife May 12, 2017 at 10:28 am

Speaking of totes and handbags, you need to check out Sea Bags sometime (www.seabags.com). The company started in Maine, where I live, and it makes totes and handbags out of recycled sails. They’re beautiful, trendy, last forever, and are super easy to clean (some are machine washable). They have a number of stores, some in the Boston area, I believe. I think you’d love them! One of our local favorites. 🙂

• Reply Angela Ellingson May 12, 2017 at 10:47 am

Love that the kiddos had to earn their watches! If you have time, mind sharing Kensington’s outfit details? So pretty!

• Reply Tracy May 12, 2017 at 11:50 am

What great graduation gifts! Lucky grads! 🙂

• Reply Debbie Hibbert May 12, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Shay … I enjoy your blog so much!

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World May 12, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Those watches are so cool!! I will have to look into that for our babies when they get a little older! Happy Mother’s Day and happy weekend, Shay!!

• Reply Megan Butler May 12, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Love the kids’ new watches!! How cool are those! And I love that they earned them. And I’m going to be making those scones this weekend for sure. Yummm

• Reply Amanda May 12, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Is that your driveway in the photo of Kensington and Smith? If so it’s just gorgeous!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 13, 2017 at 5:58 am

It is! Thank you!

• Reply Melissa May 12, 2017 at 9:36 pm

My kids also have the Garmin Vivofit (but the regular and not the kids’ version which I wish I bought). I always get a kick out of seeing how many steps my active almost-8-year old gets. Generally in the 12K-15K per day range!!! Wow. I’m lucky to get 8K per day!!!

• Reply Erin Port May 14, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Love the mom uniform outfits and those scones look so yummy! I love that you took Mandas mom out for lunch! Your tribe serves each other so well!!!!! Xoxo Erin

• Reply Bethany May 15, 2017 at 1:07 am

Love this watch idea! I am not big on a lot of technology things for littles but if they had to earn it that is different! Such a great life lesson for them! Happy Mother’s Day!

• Reply Erin Simpson May 15, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Is the striped tee navy or black stripes? Yours looks navy but online it looks black… Very cute tee!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 16, 2017 at 4:50 am

Mine is black! If you want navy striped, click on “spring monogram” for that one!

• Reply Katy May 15, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Do you know anything about the battery replacement? Or do you have to replace the whole thing when the battery runs out?? I really want to get one for my son; I think the chore coins would help him out!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama May 16, 2017 at 4:50 am

You can replace the battery when it runs out!