Alaskan Cruise 2017: Days 5&6 in Alaska!

It’s another vacation post.

Because…that’s all I have to talk about right now 🙂 .

If you missed my first two posts, my family headed to Seattle and then on an Alaskan cruise last week and had the time of our lives.  You can catch PART ONE and PART TWO before you read this one or you can jump right in.  On Day five, we got off the ship in Alaska for the first time and it was BEAUTIFUL!!

Like seriously, after this trip, I pick Alaska as the prettiest of all the states.  It. Is. Gorgeous!

IMG_3843

We woke up early and the ship was at port here in Ketchikan, Alaska.  This is looking off of our balcony.

IMG_3844

Not a bad view from our cabin, right?

IMG_3845

My dad and I were so ready to get off the ship and explore!!  And this sweatshirt was so comfy and cute!  I had it layered with my favorite tanks and never wanted to take it off.  It comes in so many other colors too.

IMG_3848

We got off the ship and hit the town!

IMG_3850

A look back at our ship.

IMG_3851

Our family didn’t always do everything together.  In fact, that was one of the best parts about cruising with a large group…we could all do what we wanted and then meet back up later.  There were several days when I didn’t see some family members until dinner (and one day, I didn’t see my cousin and her family at all!).  On this day, my aunt, uncle, cousin and her family did a boat excursion through the Alaskan fjords instead of town, so we didn’t see them until later that night.  Cruising gave everyone options to do what they wanted but also united us at the end of the day on board.

IMG_3853

When in Ketchikan, you better watch out for bears.

IMG_3855

Too cool for school.

IMG_3860

The weather was cold and crisp (with a little drizzle) and the city was beautiful!

IMG_3865

Loving our time on land!

IMG_3867

A girl and her moose.  Side note, we saw so many bald eagles in Alaska.  It was crazy to me!  Other than at a zoo, I’d never seen a bald eagle before but you could always spot several at all of our ports.

IMG_3869

We got coffee and hot chocolate as we enjoyed the town that morning.  And we split an apple fritter because…why not?

IMG_3877

Madeley was thrilled when we stuck Samuel there for a minute 🙂 .

IMG_3881

Getting six people to all look at the same place and smile is next to impossible.

IMG_3888

IMG_3892

We had purchased tickets in advance to watch their local lumberjack show that morning and it was fun for the whole family!

IMG_3893

IMG_3901

This right here is why we needed to take this trip.  My grandmother and her great granddaughter.  These are precious and priceless memories.

IMG_3909

We loved the lumberjack show!

IMG_3914

Who wouldn’t love lumberjacks?!

IMG_3919

IMG_3924

After the show, we had THE BEST lunch next to the water!  I had the salmon chowder with one piece of fried cod and it was SO GOOD!

IMG_3930

Lunch with a view!

IMG_3932

Aunt Shay and Samuel.  His face is killing me here!  Ha!

IMG_3945

We loved you Ketchikan!

IMG_3947

We had to be back on board the ship that afternoon, so Kensington and I went to get coffee and hot tea before heading back to our cabins.  We also got each of us a macaroon 🙂 .

IMG_3951

I sat on our balcony reading while watching us sail out of Ketchikan.

IMG_3954

We had a family dinner that night at the steak restaurant on board.  I’m wearing that same old dress that I wear basically every day :).  I brought the navy version on this trip (but you know how much I love my black version too!).  Ha!  Best. Dress. Ever.  With these heels and these earrings.

IMG_3955

This girl melts me.

IMG_3957

Every. Single. Time.

IMG_3960

Dinner shenanigans at the steak restaurant!  I ordered their fish special and it was so good!  I’ve never had better fish than this vacation.  Hands down, without a doubt, the BEST fish I’ve ever had!

IMG_3963

After dinner, I played some cards with my peeps until…

IMG_3964

…we watched Sean and Catherine play the Newlywed Game.  It was HYSTERICAL!

IMG_3972

Kensington was always so excited to see what towel animal would be left in her cabin.  (The kids shared one cabin and then Andrew and I took the adjoining one.)

The next morning…

IMG_3973

…we loaded up in the elevator and headed into Juneau!

IMG_3976

The capital city did not disappoint!  We got off early enough to eat breakfast in town.

IMG_3979

Strolling behind my family and taking in the city on our way to find a breakfast spot.

IMG_3980

Never dull.

IMG_3987

We ate at the coziest little local cafe.  A congressman was exiting as we were leaving…it was all so quaint and charming!  (And speaking of cozy, you can find my cozy fleece top HERE.)

IMG_3989

These two are IN LOVE!

IMG_3990

I could watch them all day long!

IMG_3998

After breakfast, Ashby helped Uncle Seanie push Samuel as we explored Juneau.

IMG_4002

And then we found this little shop where they hand-make everything.  This hat was a MUST!  She did not want to take it off the entire trip!  One time, I even caught her wearing it with her pajamas.

IMG_4008

We decided to take the Mount Roberts Tramway up way high to the top.  It was HIGH!

IMG_4010

IMG_4015

Up we go in the tram!

IMG_4018

When your ship looks tiny, you know you’re high up!

IMG_4022

IMG_4023

Still going up in the tram!

IMG_4025

IMG_4026

Whoa!  Beautiful view from the top!  They had a great visitor’s center up there, a documentary theater, live music, trails (watch out for bears!) and more!

IMG_4034

Ashby was clearly more interested in something else 😉 .

IMG_4040

We had fun at the top and then headed back down.

IMG_4043

We stopped for coffee and hot chocolate because…isn’t that what you’re supposed to do when it’s like 48 degrees outside?

IMG_4045

The view looking into the coffee shop.  Love my family.

IMG_4047

A girl and her hat.

IMG_4053

Juneau was fantastic!  We enjoyed strolling the streets, going in and out of the shops and the food.

IMG_4059

It started raining right when we were ready to board the ship.  One last family pic in Juneau!

IMG_4065

The ship started sailing and I took this girl to an art class.

IMG_4067

She had seen this little class the day before and sat there watching them paint for an hour.  So, we signed her up for this day.  She was so excited!!!

IMG_4069

IMG_4071

I was so proud of Kensington!  She was by far the youngest one in there and she did an amazing job!

IMG_4075

We’re going to hang it in her room 🙂 .

IMG_4076

She was so proud!

IMG_4080

That evening at 5:00, the captain told us he would sail right up to a big glacier, so we grabbed a table for appetizers and watched the excitement.

IMG_4085

Oh my word…the icebergs!  They were HUGE!

IMG_4091

Appetizers with a view and my favorite crew.

IMG_4094

These pics do not do it justice.  The icebergs were so big and then look at the glacier!  Isn’t it gigantic?!

IMG_4095

That is a glacier.

IMG_4097

And that is a seal asleep on an iceberg 🙂 .

IMG_4103

IMG_4105

After our appetizers, we ate dinner in the main dining room again with the fam and then attended that evening’s show.

IMG_4106

It was another wonderful end to a great day!

Happy happy happy Friday, friends!

Love you all!

Print Friendly

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 23, 2017 at 5:25 am

The lumberjack show looks like so much fun. And Kensington’s painting looks lovely!

• Reply Grace June 23, 2017 at 6:06 am

How did you get Kensington’s painting home safely?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 6:38 am

I carried it home in my carry on bag 🙂 .

• Reply Mama V @ Snowflakes & Coffeecakes June 23, 2017 at 6:12 am

Love these photos Shay! It looks like you had the most wonderful time! Can you share the name of the shop where you found the hand-knit hat and found all of the hand-knit goods? SO CUTE!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 6:38 am

Oh goodness, I wish I knew the name!

• Reply Courtney June 23, 2017 at 6:28 am

Ok you’ve convinced me, I’m planning a trip to Alaska! 🙂

XO
    Courtney

• Reply Vicki Leuck June 23, 2017 at 6:38 am

Thank you for sharing your Alaskan adventure! The pics are wonderful. Kensington is a budding artist! Keep them coming!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams June 23, 2017 at 6:40 am

I agree that a cruise with your whole family is a great option to explore different things yet come back together at certain points! My extended family does a similar thing when we vacation together in Newport! The kids looked like they had a ball on these two days!
    xo

• Reply Erika Slaughter June 23, 2017 at 6:41 am

I’m loving these vacation pictures AND what sweet sweet memories you got to make with your entire family!! Can’t wait for Days 7&8!!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims June 23, 2017 at 6:50 am

Madeley is precious in that hat! And K doing the painting class so so much fun! Good for her!

• Reply Alexis deZayas June 23, 2017 at 6:52 am

You have me dying to go to Alaska with today’s post! So fun!

• Reply Cait June 23, 2017 at 7:05 am

We went on an Alaskan cruise last June and I’m still dreaming of the crab and salmon!! So delicious!

• Reply Brantlee June 23, 2017 at 7:05 am

Alaska is definitely on my travel list. Just curious if anyone on the ship recognized Sean and Catherine from The Bachelor?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 7:15 am

Yes!! People are always so gracious about it and respecting their family time.

• Reply Mother Henn June 23, 2017 at 7:08 am

Great family memories! Madeley in that hat!!!!
    Have I missed a link to the kids’ coats? I would love to find one like Kensington’s for my girls this winter.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 7:15 am

Her coat is from Boden!!

• Reply Mother Henn June 26, 2017 at 7:07 am

Thank you!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt June 23, 2017 at 7:10 am

I love that you’re giving us a peek into your vacation! I’ve always thought of cruises to tropical destinations, so on at-sea days you just lay out by the pool. But I’ve loved reading about the activities that you can do on this cruise since it’s obviously too cold to relax on the deck. Your pictures are beautiful!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Meka Arend June 23, 2017 at 7:22 am

Shay, I love your blog. Your trip looks amazing. We are leaving for an Alaskan cruise next week. How did you pack for the trip? Did you have a list you worked from to bring the right layers? Would love some helpful hints to prepare.

• Reply Megan June 23, 2017 at 7:26 am

Mag I ask how you chose Norwegian over Disney (or the other lines) for your cruise? I’m thinking with kids Disney may be a good choice for us.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:42 am

It had just been a while since we had sailed with Norwegian, so I thought it was time. Both would be excellent choices!

• Reply Brooke Richardson June 23, 2017 at 7:30 am

Alaska is gorgeous! And would it be weird if I printed out a pic of Madeley wearing that adorable hat on the fridge or somewhere? Lol. I just can’t get enough.

• Reply Megan June 23, 2017 at 7:32 am

Okay you and Andrew have the BEST skin! Lol. I know you’ve posted about your skincare routine, but I’d love for you to do a post on chemical peels or anything you do to have such great skin!
    Looks like an amazing trip!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:41 am

I used to do them all the time, but now, not nearly as often (maybe three a year!). They became too harsh.

• Reply Rachel June 23, 2017 at 7:48 am

LOVED all the pics! Can’t wait to read more about it!

• Reply Bailey June 23, 2017 at 7:49 am

Hey Shay! Have your kids/babies ever gotten sea sick while cruising?? Any tips on avoiding/handling that?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:41 am

Thankfully, they have not!

• Reply Priscilla June 23, 2017 at 10:44 am

My children did get sick on a cruise. It’s not fun. They quarantine you to your room! Common sense times ten, I would say. Wash your hands, a lot. Don’t touch. I said that a million times, especially the railings. Keep your hands away from your mouth. And hope and pray for the germs to stay away.

• Reply Courtney June 23, 2017 at 7:54 am

This looks so amazing! What cruse line did you use and do you recommend them?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:41 am

We sailed on Norwegian and loved it!

• Reply Kelli June 23, 2017 at 7:59 am

I am LOVING all of your Alaska pictures! My little family was just there last year on a Disney cruise Ah-MAZING! Ok, I’ve only been on that one cruise (Disney) and am so skeptical about planing another cruise with differnt cruise line because of how family oriented the Disney was. What are your thoughts on this? Looking forward to more of your pics! : )

• Reply Francie June 23, 2017 at 7:59 am

Wonderful memories made with your entire family. I love this, Shay! http://www.supersimpleways.com

• Reply Allison June 23, 2017 at 8:03 am

Gorgeous pics and post! I LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEE Kensington’s painting! She did SO well!

• Reply Angela Ellingson June 23, 2017 at 8:04 am

Wow! What an experience! The lumberjack show and the tram look like so much fun!

• Reply Sandra June 23, 2017 at 8:11 am

I’m really enjoying reading all about your Alaskan cruise. You all are having such a grand time! I’m from Ontario, Canada and am considering both the Alaskan and Norwegian cruises for our family of four. I’ve reread your blog from your Norwegian cruise (with your 3 littles) and wondering which you would recommend most. I realize this is a difficult question! Would love to hear your thoughts!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:41 am

Oh goodness! What a hard decision??? Have you been to Europe? If not, I say Norwegian.

• Reply Sandra June 24, 2017 at 8:08 am

Have not been to Europe, so sounds like the Norwegian cruise would be the way to go. Thanks so much!!! ?

• Reply Amanda June 23, 2017 at 8:35 am

I love seeing all your pictures of my home state!!! Make me miss it!!! I was born and raised there and the military life took me away. We lived in texas for about 3 years (when I started to read your blog!) and now we live in Georgia!!

• Reply Laci June 23, 2017 at 9:00 am

Looks like such a “cozy” vacation! 🙂

• Reply Alicia F June 23, 2017 at 9:05 am

My grandparents spent years doing missions work in Alaska. It is truly beautiful country. If it was up to my grandfather, they would have moved there permanently…but grandkids and great grandkids brought them back home!

I am curious about your stroller. We are looking for a small, lightweight stroller than is a step up from just a cheap umbrella stroller. Any advice?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:40 am

It’s a Chicco Travel Lite and I love it!

• Reply Rebecca Purdie June 23, 2017 at 9:26 am

Awesome pictures!
    How did the kids not get tired and cranky and need a nap?
    Did none of them have a meltdown or a tantrum?
    I think I would have to have a daily nap. LOL!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 9:40 am

Ha! I think my kiddos are old enough now that they don’t melt down. They slept very well at night though because they were tired! 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick June 23, 2017 at 9:28 am

Loved all the pictures!! Those glaciers were gorgeous and the towns look like movie sets! (I keep thinking of The Proposal!) Did you notice the creepy doll behind Madelely in the store window though!? hahaha.

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Julie June 23, 2017 at 9:46 am

Did any of you experience seasickness? I’ve heard that it
    can be bumpy on these types of cruises.
    If so, how did you deal with it?
    Thanks ?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:15 pm

My cousin did one night when we were sailing back to Canada, but other than that, no one was sick!

• Reply Kayla B June 23, 2017 at 9:47 am

Loving these posts!! Keep them coming!

• Reply Andrea McAnally June 23, 2017 at 9:49 am

Everything looks SO PRETTY! I’m loving reading your recaps!

• Reply Liz June 23, 2017 at 9:52 am

Great travel post – keep them coming!! You’ve sold me – Alaska is our next cruise after Cuba!! We love NCL; a great mix of things to do on board and great food!! I don’t work for them, but I wish I did!! 🙂

• Reply Brianna Cramer June 23, 2017 at 9:54 am

What a wonderful two days in Alaska! I’ve always dreamed of an Alaskan cruise, and it’s on my bucket list FOR SURE now that I see you recapping your trip. Kensington seriously did so great on that painting – absolutely beautiful! Your family is precious and what a blessedness to have such wonderful memories!

• Reply Dorinda doft June 23, 2017 at 10:15 am

Your skin is looking so great in those pictures. I know I’ve seen some makeup posts. But what is your skin regime?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Check my side bar! There is a link to my skin routine!

• Reply Chrystianne Santos June 23, 2017 at 10:21 am

These pictures are GORGEOUS! Hubby and I are definitely looking forward to an Alaskan cruise in the future. By the way, the Norwegian Jewel was my very first ship ever. So nice to see picts of her in Alaska and not in the Caribbean.

• Reply Kylie McGraw June 23, 2017 at 10:22 am

Such beautiful pictures and relaxing family time even though you got to see so much! I may be a cruise person after seeing all these posts!

• Reply Christina Keller June 23, 2017 at 10:31 am

Which cruise line/ship did y’all travel on? I want to take this EXACT same trip!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

That was the Norwegian Jewel :).

• Reply Nicole June 23, 2017 at 10:59 am

Love those long sleeve tops! Size XS?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

• Reply Christy June 23, 2017 at 11:46 am

I love these vacation posts. My grandfather loved going on an Alaskan cruise so one day we’ll have to go on one in his memory. I’m curious though how your kids do with schedule changes (particularly the younger ones) when you travel. I have a 3 year old & a 10 month old. We’re traveling next week and while I know their schedule will get messed up (napping on the go & later bedtimes), I try to give them days where they at least get a decent nap & earlier bedtime if I can otherwise they’ll be too overtired. I know it probably depends on kids’ personalities too, but just curious how you do it with young ones (Samuel too)!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

They seem to go with the flow. We’ve had meltdowns before, but for the most part, it’s always pretty chill. I think by not doing too much, it helps a lot!

• Reply sjb June 23, 2017 at 11:54 am

What a fun trip! What are your family’s favorite card games to play?

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design June 23, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Kensington is quite the little artist! It looks like you guys had the best time on your trip / cruise! You always have the best outfits and gear!

• Reply Emily June 23, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Your trip looks super fun so far but the kids are stealing the show! They are all bringing it in the pictures! I was cracking up!

• Reply Becca June 23, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Adding an Alaskan Cruise to my bucket list! What size do you have for the Treasure + Bond Sweatshirt? Going to purchase it – because so cute + practical – but sometimes those run large. Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:12 pm

It does not run large! Order true to size for sure!

• Reply Michelle Nordstrom June 23, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Madeley and the hat, she looked so adorable!

• Reply Jamie June 23, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Looks like an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Bethany June 23, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Love the bear picture! Macaroons are also a love language! Have a great weekend!

• Reply Whitney Pegram June 23, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I am loving these posts!! Can’t wait for the next post! And I saw your Instastory on your new book … EEEEEK!!! Congrats!!

• Reply Melissa June 23, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Can you share where Madeley’s pink jacket is from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 23, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Gap!!

• Reply Deena June 23, 2017 at 4:10 pm

We drove to Alaska once- love seeing these pictures. But Madeley in the tuque is my fave.

• Reply Paula June 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

What a fun trip thusfar. I LOVE it.

• Reply DeAnn June 23, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Lovely! We were on the Disney Wonder up there a couple weeks ago and it was HOT! Like 80 degrees in Skagway and at the glacier. We brought way too many warm clothes. Looks like the same one we saw, Sawyer? I did some serious damage in all those jewelry stores! I didn’t have gem shopping on my agenda, until I attended a shopping talk on board the ship. Oops! We enjoyed that same lumberjack show too!

• Reply Allison June 23, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Great post- your travel posts are my favorite! We’ve never done a cruise. Would one room with two adults and two little kids make us crazy? I know Disney is built for this, but what about regular cruise ships like this one? Did they have toddler activities and if so, do your kids like them or prefer to stay with you all? Thanks for the help!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 24, 2017 at 12:53 pm

We’ve done one cabin with two toddlers and lived to tell about it :). It was totally fine! The ship is just filled with stuff to do and places for kids to run around and blow off steam. You would have fun!

• Reply Lauren June 24, 2017 at 10:05 am

I might have teared up at the art class. I LOVE a child who will do something and not worry that they are the youngest or not the best, etc. I have one that will jump into anything and I am CONSTANTLY amazed by that because it is so NOT my personality. Awesome confidence, Kensington!

• Reply cassie {hi sugarplum} June 25, 2017 at 9:27 am

Loving this trip…and so fun to do it with the whole family!!!

• Reply Lyssa June 25, 2017 at 12:04 pm

My husband and I went on an Alaskan cruise about a week before you did, and I agree with you, it is the most beautiful state 🙂 Alaska is so gorgeous. Pictures did not do it justice 🙂

• Reply Lauren June 25, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Love your vacation posts! Seeing the rain pictures made me think you should check out “Blunt Umbrellas”, I’m Australian and they’re really popular here and great for kids because there are no sharp metal edges. Great for travel!

• Reply Erin Port June 26, 2017 at 2:01 pm

What a fun post! Love it and my kids would love the lumberjack show for sure. xoxo ERIN

• Reply Gina June 26, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Shay where did you get your silver hoop earrings? I have been looking for a pair like that for some time. Thank you

• Reply Betsy June 27, 2017 at 9:10 pm

I got engaged at the top of Mt Roberts and spent the rest of our port day in Juneau calling friends and family to share the good news. So many happy memories seeing your pictures from familiar places!

• Reply Melody Knapp June 28, 2017 at 6:58 pm

My husbands grandparents went to Alaska a few years back and got my baby girl a cute jacket that looks exactly like that hat Madeley got. It was a favorite of ours for sure!

• Reply annette krafcik July 3, 2017 at 9:01 pm

odd question
    when you wear your hair back and up how do you secure it-with what?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama July 4, 2017 at 6:25 am