Alaskan Cruise 2017: Days 7-10

Well, hello, hello from New York City!

If you’ve been following me on Instagram, then you know that on Saturday, Kensington and I headed to NYC with my mother-in-law for a fun girls weekend!  We’ve seen a show, we’ve eaten a ton of yummy food, we’ve walked and walked and walked and we’ve had the BEST time!  Tomorrow morning, I will be cooking with my friends Kathie Lee and Hoda on Today during the 10 o’clock hour, so make sure you tune in!  And bonus…Kensington is cooking with me!  Isn’t that fun?!  I’ll recap our trip to the Big Apple later this week, but in the meantime, here is the fourth and final installment of our Alaskan cruise vacation!  If you missed the earlier posts, no worries!  Here they all are:

Days 1 & 2
Days 3 & 4
Days 5 & 6

And here’s the end…

IMG_4107

We woke up on Day 7 ready for our final port in Alaska…Skagway!  (And this sweatshirt made me SO HAPPY!  It was made of sweatshirt material but the pineapples made it so summery!)

IMG_4108

When your whole family crams into one elevator…

IMG_4110

…all 18 of us are in here 🙂 .

This was the one port where we had the same excursion lined up: the White Pass Railway.

IMG_4113

We hit the ground early in Skagway with our Barbies, of course!

IMG_4115

The background behind them looks fake, right?!  Skagway was BEAUTIFUL!!!!  Spoiler alert: we all declared Skagway our favorite port at the end of the cruise 🙂 .

IMG_4118

We had tickets for the train that departed at 8:10 AM, so here we are on board and ready to go!

IMG_4120

Can you spot our 18?  We were ready to go!

IMG_4121

The train heading out of Skagway.

IMG_4131

Enjoying the view.

IMG_4133

Enjoying her nap.

Ashby was seriously asleep within the first 3 minutes and slept over two hours of the three hour train ride.

IMG_4141

And then, she was asleep too and slept just about as long.

IMG_4149

Thankfully, our train did not go over that bridge.

IMG_4150

We went through a tunnel on the way back and it was super dark, so I snapped this pic in the pitch black and this is what I saw 🙂 .

IMG_4152

So perky after her nap.

So…this wasn’t my favorite excursion.  My mom was like “don’t put on your blog that you didn’t like it because I did” and I said “then you better start your own blog” 🙂 .  In my opinion, this excursion was just okay.  It was 3 hours…you go 1½ hours and it’s gorgeous and you’re having fun and then, the train stops and reverses and you go back for 1½ hours…so that last hour and a half just felt so long because we had just seen the exact same scenery, so it wasn’t nearly as fun/interesting/exciting.  For the record, my mother loved it 🙂 .  My little kids slept almost all of it and my big kids thought it was okay.

We came back to Skagway and were starving!  I’m not sure how being on a train for 3 hours can make you so hungry, but it did.  We walked into town and found a place for all 18 of us to eat…

IMG_4155

Ashby was hangry.  Ha!  After her nap, she was ready to eat, so while I was having a blast being off the train, she was going to have her pretend mad face on until her fish and chips were served.

IMG_4158

Kensington said she’d take a selfie with me since Ashby was still hangry 😉 .

IMG_4160

We headed out to spend the rest of our day in Skagway after lunch.  My family split up and people did different things, but we toured this super cute town.

IMG_4164

Photo attempt 2 🙂

IMG_4170

Kensington was cold, so Lovie let her wear her scarf.

IMG_4180

I took this picture next door to the bakery.  Some of us stopped for treats and it was just lovely chaos.  I love my family.

IMG_4182

Madeley isn’t much into sweets (she’d rather have a burger/sausage/eggs/fish/steak/turkey/chicken), so she hung around while we enjoyed coffee and treats (we bought her a cookie but she immediately gave it to Smith.)

IMG_4185

We stopped and played at a park…

IMG_4189

IMG_4193

Lots of happiness in Skagway.

IMG_4195

IMG_4198

Mom and me

IMG_4206

I want to live in Skagway.

IMG_4209

The people in Alaska were so NICE!  I’m used to southern hospitality and all, but these people blew us out of the water!  I’ve decided that not only is Alaska the most beautiful state, it’s also home to the nicest people too.

IMG_4212

I love a man who buys me Alaskan bread.  It was basically fried dough.

IMG_4213

IMG_4215

That night, we were back on board and Andrew and I enjoyed dinner just the two of us!  My parents had “grandparent night” with the five grand kids, while we went on dates.

The next morning, we had our final day at sea.  Walking to breakfast, I looked up and saw this…

IMG_4216

Some view, right?!  As a side note, the pool was heated but on board the ship when it was sailing was anywhere between 35 and 45, so my kids had no interest in swimming.

IMG_4219

We let the kids stay in their pajamas until dinner on this day.

IMG_4220

It was a great lazy day at sea.

IMG_4222

I went to the spa for a facial (I LOVE facials!) and then we played Bingo.

IMG_4224

Uncle Seanie ate more ice cream cones than one could ever count and by the end of the trip, he had Miss Madeley hooked on them too.

IMG_4226

IMG_4228

We played more cards and dominoes that afternoon too.

IMG_4233

And then that evening, we had another family dinner together.

IMG_4234

Enjoying their “happy hour”.

IMG_4238

Look at Madeley back there.  That kid cracks me up!

IMG_4241

Catherine and Smith had attended a towel folding class that afternoon and were demonstrating with their napkins at dinner.

And then that next morning, we woke up to see this…

IMG_4247

…um, not the best picture, but we were looking at whales!  There were more whales than we could count!  See the sprays of water in the air?  That’s their blowholes!  This was the view from one of our balconies.  They were everywhere!  You could see and hear them.  It was so much fun!

IMG_4248

IMG_4252

It was very hard to capture a whale because they appeared to be humpbacks and they blended in with the water in the pics.  But I think Kensington’s face says it all 🙂 .

IMG_4257

We were up that day and ready to hit the ground in Victoria, Canada.

So, this right here might be my favorite top of the trip!  It is fleece and so, so, so soft while being light at the same time.  I bought it in the soft blue color but it comes in 8 other colors too.  And of course, I’m wearing that tank underneath!

So, this cracked me up.  Every day at lunch, they would grill up something new and special by the pool if you didn’t want to eat from the main dining area.  I almost always ate whatever they were grilling because it smelled so good (steaks, pork with fried rice, etc).  Well, on this day, I was in my cabin when my dad called and said “Shay, get down to the grill, they’re serving German food.”.  So, I immediately headed down there (because hello?!  GERMAN FOOD!).  As I was walking there, I saw Ken who was like “they have German food today” and I’m all “that’s why I’m running” and then, I saw my mom who was like “did you see the German food?” and I was like “no time to talk now, mom”.  So, clearly, my family knows me well.  I knocked over women and children to get there and low and behold…

IMG_4258

German food.  #hallelujah

I enjoyed the veal schnitzel, spaetzle, pretzel roll and cabbage.  This was our last lunch on the ship…and my FAVORITE!

IMG_4261

Right after lunch, the ship pulled into Victoria…and we watched.

IMG_4262

Hello Canada!

IMG_4264

IMG_4272

When we got off of the ship, these two were so excited because Canada was their 20th country to visit 🙂 . They had been counting down to this moment since the beginning of the trip.

IMG_4274

A fun double-decker bus took us into town.

IMG_4278

Pulling out with the Jewel behind us.

IMG_4280

We enjoyed lovely Victoria for the day.

IMG_4282

IMG_4285

Coffee for some, gelato for others.

IMG_4289

A nice shop owner gave them balloons.  These balloons entertained them all day.

IMG_4290

IMG_4294

Love this girl.

IMG_4298

And all of these people too!

IMG_4303

We found a chocolate shop and had to stop!  We bought some of their chocolate creams and they were divine!

IMG_4310

The girls each bought a hand-made doll from a lady in the market area.

IMG_4316

And then we enjoyed our last dinner together.  We ate yummy seafood (of course!) overlooking the water in Victoria.

IMG_4318

IMG_4322

That night, we boarded the ship for the last time, packed up our stuff and sailed back to Seattle.

IMG_4339

And for some reason, this is the only picture I have from our day traveling home.  This is us at the Seattle airport eating lunch before our flight.  That Madeley is a ham!

Whew!  That wraps up our Alaskan cruise!

Here’s the deal…the last time this group of people went on a trip together was back in 1995.

A lot has changed since 1995.

Back in 1995, our original family of 10 (my grandparents, my mom, dad, Sean, me, Uncle Bryan, Aunt Pam and my cousins Brandon and Brooke) went to Maui together.  So, needless to say, this trip was a long time coming.  Since 1995, we’ve lost my sweet, sweet grandfather (in 1999), my grandmother remarried Ken, all four grand kids got married and there are now 8 great grand kids.  This was a once in a lifetime trip that I know I will always remember.  Life changes quickly, but these memories will last forever.  I love my family so much and am so grateful that we decided to do this trip.

Now, a few final things:

1: Of course, we’d love to help you plan your Alaskan cruise (or any cruise for that matter) over at Mix and Match Travel Agency, so email us at mixandmatchtravelagency@yahoo.com for more info.
2: Don’t forget to catch me tomorrow at 10:00 on Today!  I’m making a pie with Kensington that’s perfect for your July 4th!
3:  Our bonus question this week for What’s Up Wednesday is: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE JULY 4TH TRADITION?  I hope you blog and link up too!
4: I had several emails and comments about my favorite products to travel with when I’m on a trip, so I made this below.  Just scroll and click to see what I packed for this particular trip:

Happy Monday!!

Print Friendly

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 26, 2017 at 4:41 am

That yellow waterslide looks so fun! Reminds me – I haven’t been to a water park in a long, long time. Good luck for your show tomorrow, you’ll do great!

• Reply Meredith July 3, 2017 at 10:24 pm

My husband and I and my parents went on an Alaskan cruise last summer. It was fun! I will say we did the sled dog show in skagway and it was AMAZINg!!! My favorite excursion on the trip. It probably didn’t hurt that they had just had puppies too and we got to hold them! 😉 But it was super interesting to learn about! Your kids would love it. Also, we did the tramway in Juneau too. Your family is gorgeous!! Glad y’all had fun! I love Alaska too. The cruise was my third trip there.

• Reply Alexis deZayas June 26, 2017 at 4:51 am

I feel Ashby on being hangry!! What a beautiful port and so glad you got your German food!

• Reply Megan June 26, 2017 at 4:58 am

we spent most of the weekend trying to talk my mom into an Alaskan cruise. It is the only state my dad has left to play golf in to hit all fifty states!

• Reply Susan Jeffries June 26, 2017 at 5:28 am

I loved following along on your trip! We cruised Alaska a few years ago when our daughter was a pre-teen. Our favorite adventure was salmon fishing! I really don’t like fishing – or cold weather – but this was an amazing day! We also loved the hiking excursions. Check into those for your clients with older children. We just missed you in NYC too! We left Sunday. We will be watching you and your cute little on Tuesday! Have fun!

• Reply Tara G. June 26, 2017 at 5:33 am

We were stationed in Alaska & let me throw this out for consideration… fly in to Anchorage & get on the land. There are so many neat things to do in the interior. A person can go into the valley, visit a dog sled musher & the dogs (even get a ride); see the salmon swimming upstream; walk/hike; there’s a zoo, chocolate factory; cruise the Prince William Sound on a day trip… so many options. Then take a train down the Old Seward highway to Seward and cruise back out. Or vice versa.

• Reply Tara G. June 26, 2017 at 5:38 am

Also, your family trip looks like it was wonderful! So excited you were able to see so many whales!

• Reply Erika Slaughter June 26, 2017 at 6:06 am

The scenery in every town is simply gorgeous!! What an amazing vacation filled with lots of family memories. It looks like an absolute blast! We can’t wait to watch tomorrow! Eeekkkk!!!!!

• Reply Laura June 26, 2017 at 6:19 am

How do you decide on your excursions vs sightseeing the port towns on your own?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 6:27 am

For this trip, we based it on what we thought our kids would like and motion sickness :). Some of my other family members did a boat excursion, a helicopter ride and a sea plane ride…the motion sickness would have gotten me on all of those. At Victoria, some of my family did the garden excursion, but we didn’t want to miss out on all of Victoria and just see the gardens. So, collectively, we did a lot of excursions, but my family of six, only did 3 (lumberjack show, tram and train ride).

• Reply Courtney June 26, 2017 at 6:34 am

This family trip looks wonderful and so special. Thanks for sharing all the details and being honest about the train ride (even though your mom liked it)! 🙂

XO
    Courtney

• Reply Courtney June 26, 2017 at 6:36 am

Oh my gosh I love your blog so much! You do such an amazing job!

• Reply Jenny June 26, 2017 at 6:43 am

Hi Shay! How did you decide on which cruise liner to go with? We have a family of 16 (ages 3-70) considering an Alaskan cruise next year. We have done a Bahamas Disney cruise and loved it! Looking forward to your segment!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 6:49 am

I try and use several and rotate. We sailed on Disney and Holland America last year, so I thought it was time to do Norwegian again. I love all three of those :).

• Reply Sheaffer Sims June 26, 2017 at 6:44 am

I mean, I know this is a vacation post….but Madeley in the hat is killing me. LOVE.

• Reply Amlakar June 26, 2017 at 6:44 am

I really love you khaki colored coat with the red/black plaid inside. Could you give me a link for that item? Loved reading about your cruise to Alaska! Your children seem to be great travelers.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 6:48 am

I just bought it at Burberry!

• Reply Alissa Ferguson June 26, 2017 at 6:46 am

Thanks for the recaps!!! We are going on this same trip in a couple weeks (different cruise line). with our family/grandparents/ aunt and two kiddos-4 year old son and 7 month old daughter. Wondering if you could share what you packed for the kids clothes (and anything else you’re glad you brought!).

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 6:48 am

Layers, layers and more layers! With comfy shoes!

• Reply Narci Dreffs June 26, 2017 at 6:54 am

What an amazing trip: the scenery on this cruise was just gorgeous!! So happy that you had such a great time! What a fun recap, friend!!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams June 26, 2017 at 7:15 am

Ah I loved all the recaps Shay! Congrats to Kensington and Smith on their 20th country, how exciting for them! You were so funny with your german food story, “knocked women and children over” lol. I feel you when it’s your favorite food. I think it’s truly special and amazing that you were all able to go on this kind of trip together. Your kids will remember it forever:-)
    xo

• Reply Cait June 26, 2017 at 7:16 am

On our Alaskan cruise, the train in Skagway was our favorite excursion!! However, We did have a private car with about 20 people and it had unlimited drinks and snacks and we had access to the back of the train where we could sit outside. Plus our tour guide was a local and told the best stories about growing up in Alaska.

• Reply Val June 26, 2017 at 7:20 am

Oh my, love your blog!!!
    Now that our summer trip is in 1 week, I’m so curius how you travel with all the hair bows and keep them in shape, haha. I’m also a neat freak, but have no idea how to travel with all the hair bows of my girl. #girlproblems#

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I just put them in a big baggie and place them in my luggage. Easy!

• Reply Lynn June 26, 2017 at 7:23 am

Hi Shay!! I have my DVR set for tomorrow!! Could you lplease no your jeans?! I love them! Also what purse do you carry? Love your blog!!!

• Reply Lynn June 26, 2017 at 7:24 am

Link your jeans! Haha sorry it must be too early!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

They are J Crew toothpick!

• Reply Erin June 26, 2017 at 7:30 am

I loved reading about your trip. My husband and I went to Victoria, Canada a few years ago and loved it!! That chocolate shop was amazing and the gelato there was the best!!

• Reply Francie June 26, 2017 at 7:46 am

Those hand made dolls are cute! http://www.supersimpleways.com

• Reply Kate June 26, 2017 at 7:51 am

Hi Shay! Such a fun trip and I love following along! Can you link your gray tennis shoes that you wore with that cute gray top?? Thanks! ?

• Reply Karen June 26, 2017 at 7:58 am

Ok, now that you’ve said your kids have visited 20 countries, you have to blog the list!! How fun is that!? I love traveling and I hope my future kids get to go on many adventures as well 🙂

• Reply Kelly June 26, 2017 at 8:03 am

How did you think this cruise line compared to Disney as far as activities that were kid friendly on the ship? We’ve only ever cruised with Disney and I’m worried my kids would be disappointed with any other cruise line. I hope we can take an Alaska cruise sometime soon! Loved seeing your posts recapping your trip. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I mean…Disney is spectacular and does cater almost exclusively to kids. So, it won’t be the same. But…as you can see, my kids found a lot to do to entertain themselves on board!

• Reply Shevonne June 26, 2017 at 8:11 am

I absolutely LOVED each and Every Single Post!

I worked for Crystal Cruises for many years & having spent a season in Alaska it was and now( thanks to your reminders) still is one of my favorite destinations in the Workd.
    There is nothing quite like Alaska, the people; the scenery; the quaintness of the towns

So happy you all enjoyed So Much,
    We’re a family of 16 ( at present) & our last reunion was 2014( also without our Dearest Grandfather ?)
    We are separated by oceans ( South Africa; USA; Ireland) & its my goal to get us all together next summer – ‘Tis has been my inspiration Thank You

• Reply Amanda Wilson June 26, 2017 at 8:15 am

I don’t know why but it makes me so proud you came to Canada….even if only for a day!! I am obsessed with your cruise in the Norwegian fjords…..which one did you like better??? I get motion sickness easily….do you ever get it on your ship??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Urg! That’s so hard! They were similar but very different. I have only gotten sick on one cruise, so I really never do. I think that one time was the rare exception.

• Reply Angela Ellingson June 26, 2017 at 8:20 am

Gorgeous, incredible trip! That would be so amazing to see the whales. 20 countries – WOW! What a blessing.

• Reply Sabrina June 26, 2017 at 8:24 am

Looks like a gorgeous time!! How was the food on the ship? And did your kids go to the kids clubs?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:41 pm

The food was really good on board! And no, they did not go to the kids club!

• Reply Ruth June 26, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hi shay, I love your soft blue top and I’m so tempted to get one. ( even if it means paying international shipping to Australia ) Just wondering about sizing? I’m typically a small but was wondering if it’s better to go up a size.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:41 pm

It runs very true to size!

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design June 26, 2017 at 8:26 am

Little Madeley is such a ham! I just love her little expressions!

• Reply Kara June 26, 2017 at 8:27 am

20 countries!!? How lucky is Smith and Kensington!!?

• Reply Libby June 26, 2017 at 8:47 am

Random, but where did you get Andrew’s blue and grey button down?! I want to get one for my husband!

Loved reading about your Alaskan vacation! I totally want to go on one of those in the future! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I’m going to guess J. Crew!

• Reply Laci June 26, 2017 at 8:58 am

I just can’t stop looking at Madeley in that pink! Pink is that girls color. She is absolutely the cutest thing. 🙂 Looks like a great trip and I am setting my dvr for your segment tomorrow. Yay!

• Reply Nikki June 26, 2017 at 9:15 am

I remember the hanging baskets all around Victoria being so beautiful!

• Reply Aubree June 26, 2017 at 9:16 am

So excited to do the same trip in a couple weeks with my husband and his extended family. Thanks for all the tips! Can’t wait to visit such beautiful places!

• Reply Ariadna June 26, 2017 at 9:22 am

Oh my goodness Madeley’s smile is contagious!! That picture that you took in the dark is so stinking cute!!

• Reply Becky June 26, 2017 at 9:27 am

They grey shoes that you were wearing with your favorite fleece top… Can you link those?

And Kensington’s shoes from the same day… Are those skechers? Does she complain about them rubbing?

Sorry for all the shoe questions… We are headed to Seattle & Portland in a few weeks and I know there will be a lot of walking. I want to make sure my family is comfortable! Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:40 pm

My shoes were Nikes! And yes, K was wearing her Sketcher Go Walks!

• Reply Wendy O. June 26, 2017 at 9:44 am

Thanks for letting us follow along on this great trip! What shoes did you wear for all of the walking around you did? I saw the wedges that you wore to dinner on the ship, but I was wondering about off of the ship on excursions.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:40 pm

I wore Nikes :). Comfy feet make me happy!

• Reply Kayla B June 26, 2017 at 9:59 am

Love this!! And TWENTY countries at their age is SO cool.

• Reply Maria Aitken June 26, 2017 at 10:06 am

What a lovely trip! We are going to Alaska on Holland America in July….never been on a cruise before and so worried about the motion sickness! Any tips to avoid sea sickness ?? Thank you!

• Reply Mona June 26, 2017 at 10:09 am

I always love your travel posts. I’ve never been on a cruise because I worry about getting seasick. How is the motion on the cruise ship? Was the Alaskan cruise calmer than a cruise in the Caribbean?

• Reply Sasha Lotze June 26, 2017 at 10:09 am

You are just the cutest!!
    Love your hubby’s shoes. Where are they from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I would bet Nordstrom ;).

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick June 26, 2017 at 10:17 am

I think I’d feel the same way about a 3 hour train ride! Especially if it’s just coming right back to the same place. And Madeley just cracks me up! She needs to partner up with Bowen for some kind of comedy routine someday. Those two are the funniest! Looks like a fun trip! Can’t wait to watch tomorrow!!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Taylor Wiesner June 26, 2017 at 11:01 am

So so fun!!! We went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago, before any of us had kids, and this is making me want to book a trip now!!!

• Reply Jamie June 26, 2017 at 11:28 am

Rogers chocolates! It has such a long and important history, which includes ghost stories!

• Reply Patty Anderson June 26, 2017 at 11:29 am

One thing I learned on our Alaskan cruise was to take my own hot cocoa packets next time. On the day we sailed through the glaciers, they were selling hot cocoa, yet on the other days it had been available free. My daughter and I wanted to be outside to see and feel the beauty, but the blankets they provided only kept us warm on the outside. I’m a bit envious you had such a gorgeous day in Victoria. Our ship ported in the evening and most shops were closed. Fun to see it through your eyes!

• Reply Heidi June 26, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I love reading your cruise recaps! I started following you last year after you did the Disney cruise with the Slaughters! 🙂 We love cruising with our children and extended family too. So easy and something for everyone! (And I need to order that cozy fleece with the knot at the bottom – so cute!) Heidi http://www.heidiwanderstheworld.com

• Reply Britt June 26, 2017 at 1:00 pm

As always with your travel posts, I can’t wait to go! My extended family of 14 is cruising the Caribbean in the winter & I cannot wait! We may have to add Alaskan for next summer! Great way to beat TX heat too! I was in Austin this past weekend and I thought my skin was going to melt off! One last thing, your entire family is GORGEOUS! I’ve known your immediate family is, but all of them!

• Reply Carly M June 26, 2017 at 1:07 pm

This whole trip seems so perfect (I would “love” a Lovie blog btw!) The pictures of Madeley with her big hat over her eyes kill me. In your final meal pic, is that a whale behind you?! It seems warm in Victoria.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 2:38 pm

It was our warmest port. I think the high was like 65 that day.

• Reply Nicole F June 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I love most that this was a big family trip! That is the best!

• Reply Erin Port June 26, 2017 at 2:10 pm

You are so right. My advice is ALWAYS take the trip. Those memories of traveling with my family are some of my oat favorite and the ones I cherish with my own kids. We will keep an eye out for you tomorrow on Today for sure! xoxo ERIN

• Reply Nicole June 26, 2017 at 2:48 pm

When you’re traveling and eating so many different foods/off your fitness routine – do you come home feeling so off track? Love your blog!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 26, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Ha! Yes! I just get back on my routine and go from there. It’s fun getting off track though 😉 .

• Reply Mari June 26, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Loved hearing about this trip! We plan to visit Alaska and it sounds like a cruise may be the way to go! Your children are adorable but your mom and grandmother…oh my, they’re beautiful! You have great genes in your family! What a memorable, lovely time you all shared!

• Reply Kristen June 26, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Next time you are in New York and see a show, I recommend Bandstand. It’s great!

• Reply Bethany June 26, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Too funny to me to see ya’ll in the hats and jackets in June!

• Reply Jen June 26, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Your post was perfect timing. My husband, 1 year old and I leave for an Alaskan cruise in 2 weeks with 16 family members. We were thinking of the train excursion too so good things to know. Thank you so much! I am also snagging a lot of the cute stuff you are posting. I had no clue what to pack and how to still look cute!

• Reply Jen June 26, 2017 at 5:39 pm

One question though what shoes did you pack? I saw you had Nikes and boots maybe? I want to pack all the shoes but don’t think Ill wear that many different ones?!?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 27, 2017 at 5:29 am

I walked around in either my Nikes or my shorter Ugg boots (depending on the weather). That’s it!

• Reply Jeanie June 26, 2017 at 6:08 pm

What a wonderful trip! I can’t believe your kids have been to 20 countries already. I’ve been to one, the one I was born in, right here in the good ol’ US of A.

• Reply Lyssa June 26, 2017 at 6:31 pm

My hubby and I LOVED the train, but we also just went by ourselves and didn’t have little ones. We spent the entire trip, both there and back, standing outside and taking pictures of all the beautiful scenery, and it was by far one of our favorite excursions, but I can see how it wouldn’t be fun for a family with little ones 🙂 We also went earlier than you, so we had lots of surprise waterfalls and streams that were there from the snow melting.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 27, 2017 at 5:28 am

We saw those waterfalls and streams too! I just didn’t find them as interesting the second time around when we were returning 😉 .

• Reply Jaren June 26, 2017 at 8:19 pm

I have loved seeing this cruise vacation! That Madeley is a precious ham! Don’t let that mountain train ride deter you from another. We did the one from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO. It was fabulous! We had hot chocolate while we enjoyed the view. Once we made it to Silverton, we enjoyed the the preserved Old West town and ate in a saloon complete with a piano player. We took a bus on the way back and saw a completely different view! It was so worth it!
    Can’t wait to watch you and Kensington tomorrow!!

• Reply Kacy June 26, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Favorite July 4th tradition: a friend from my Christian fellowship back in college throws a pool party (actually in McKinney!) every summer and it’s a huge Aggie reunion. People literally drive from all over TX to go to this. Will be going to my 3rd straight one this coming weekend!

• Reply Rochelle June 26, 2017 at 11:05 pm

This was an awesome recap, looks like SO much fun! My 5 year old and I both get pretty bad motion sickness (i.e. Driving through the mountains, too long in the car, planes, etc…). I always thought cruises would be off the table for us. How do you cope being on a boat?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 27, 2017 at 5:27 am

You really cannot feel them move. Out of all the ships I’ve been on, I’ve only gotten sick once.

• Reply Mary June 27, 2017 at 2:01 am

Could you ask your mom where she got her white rain jacket?

• Reply Vanessa June 27, 2017 at 7:01 am

As a German I thought the German meal you had was adorable. I would have definitely taken at least a ladle-full more of the cabbage, trust me! Shame they didn’t have Knoedel to go with the cabbage, but I can’t turn down Spaetzle or a good Brezel either.

• Reply Megan Butler June 27, 2017 at 2:37 pm

We did the white pass Train too! But we took a bus back down and saw the other side of the mountain. And we stopped at a mining town. I really loved it! I bet you would have liked it better!!! It was nice to see something different! But the whale watching in Juneau was the highlight of our trip for sure! We saw humpback whales bubble feeding and it was amazing!!!

• Reply Sara Wolf June 27, 2017 at 10:17 pm

I have been on 2 Alaskan cruises and loved both of them! This post makes me want to book another (although we just got home from a 2 week Mediterranean cruise). We did the train ride in Skagway too but because we didn’t have any little kids with us, we rode bikes down the mountain and it was AMAZING! Just a thought for the next time you port in Skagway.

• Reply Jen June 28, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Do you know how far ahead you can book the cruise you did? Online it doesn’t look like you can do them very far out.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 28, 2017 at 2:54 pm

You can typically book all cruises about 15 to 18 months out!

• Reply Chelsie June 29, 2017 at 5:34 pm

We did an Alaskan cruise last year. We loved Skagway! My husband and I did an early morning hike & float and then met up with our family to do some rock climbing. Both of these excursions took us away from the port and we were able to see less touristy areas.

• Reply Rebecca W. June 30, 2017 at 11:35 am

What a wonder family vacation!!! Love the shirt / dress you’re wearing for your date night. Is there a link to that? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm

It was from Loft. It’s no longer in stock. I’m sorry!

• Reply Liliana Hernandez July 4, 2017 at 11:31 am

Hey,
    Random question, I know that your glasses are Raybans, however, are they the blue gradient or light blue gradient. Do you happen to know?

Thanks! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama July 5, 2017 at 8:58 am

I believe they’re light blue gradient. A friend and I just had this exact convo!

• Reply Dina July 4, 2017 at 1:35 pm

We just got back today from an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Sun….i loved reliving some of our ports, and comparing the ships. We have photos in some of the same places. (We did the inside passage from Seward to Vancouver). I am more the age of your mom, and for the record, I loved the train ride too, and was so disappointed that you didn’t!

• Reply Liliana Hernandez July 5, 2017 at 10:56 am

Hello,

Ahh thank you so much! ☺️

• Reply Julie Goolsby July 5, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Finally read through your Alaska trip–I live in beautiful AK and I’m so happy you experienced our great land and the friendliness!! We are very laid back and super nice–some of the many things I love about this great state 🏔🌊🐳