Apple Watch Part 2

Want to hear something funny?  One of my most popular posts from 2016 was when I reviewed my Apple Watch.  Why is that funny?  Because I’m the least technologically savvy person in the world and the fact that I even own one is pretty ridiculous.

But I do.

And I love it.

Like the kind of love that I have for really important things.

Like my family.

And Nutella.

Lately, I have had comment after comment and email after email about my watch and I think it’s because…

IMG_5093

…you’ve seen it in the water.

I think the reason why most of you are surprised that it’s in the water is because last year, when I wrote this post, I only had two complaints about my Apple Watch: I wish the battery life was longer and I wish I could get it wet.  And you know what?  Those smart people at Apple came out with a second version of their watch later that summer AND IT IS WATERPROOF!

So…because I love my watch so very much, this winter I upgraded from the Apple Watch 1 to the Apple Watch 2 and now, I never take it off.  Friends, I love this watch…

IMG_5039

…I mean, it’s probably a good thing that I do have to take it off every night to charge it or else I’m sure I would have some sort of green fungus growing underneath the band. 😉

Now, my complaint about the battery life still stands.  I feel like the battery life of the 2 is longer than the 1…but it’s still not that long.  The more apps you use, the more it runs out (just like on your phone), so on a normal day, when I take it off at night and go to sleep, it is probably down to 35% (which is better than the Apple Watch 1 but still, I wish it lasted at least 36 hours).

So, now that they’ve made the 2 waterproof, I guess that’s my only complaint (Hey Apple!  When will you make iPhones that are waterproof?!?!?!).

Here are a few other things I love about my Apple Watch…

1: I said this in the last post, but the reason I love this watch so very much is because it really does make me look at my phone LESS.  During the day, I’m busy working/taking care of kids/doing things around the house and sometimes when my phone pings or rings, I need to answer it but so many times, I do not.  With the watch, it’s so easy to glance down and think “okay, that’s just an email from Gap, I don’t need to respond”.  Instead of constantly checking my phone throughout the day making sure the email/text/phone call isn’t something important like from a client, I can just glance down at my watch.

2: My phone can be anywhere in the house and yet, my watch will ring and update me with texts and emails.  I can leave my phone in the bottom of my purse and don’t have to run around looking for it when it starts to ring (you can answer your phone and carry on a conversation on your watch!).

3: As silly as this sounds, it just makes me more aware of my physical activity and health.  The fitness app tracks my steps, calories burned, minutes I exercise and minutes I sit.  If I’m sitting too long, it will remind me to stand up and get moving.  Before I had the watch, I didn’t realize that some days I’m super active and other days, I am not.  The watch encourages me to make sure I move around more on those days when I don’t get as much exercise in.

4: And now, I love that it’s waterproof.  I just want to put it on and keep it on (without having to worry about being careful with it).  I want to be able to jump in the pool, bathe my girls, make dinner, etc. and not have to be cautious around water.  With the new watch, it even counts your activity in the pool (and let’s face it, it should!), so that goes toward your daily fitness/activity tracker.

IMG_5033

So, if me, the world’s least tech savvy person loves this watch, imagine how much all of you will love it?

If you have an Apple watch, make sure you comment and share what you love most about it too.

(And for those of you who want the specific watch details, I have the 42mm rose gold watch and then I purchased the white Nike band both from my local Apple store.)

And for those of you who don’t care about the watch at all, I just realized that I took these pics on the same day that I took this one from Friday

IMG_5021

Here are the outfit deets: Earrings//Top//Necklace//Shorts//Sandals//Bracelets

Whew!  I heart the Apple Watch.

Seriously, I love it.

Now, I’m off to walk some more steps!

xo

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog July 17, 2017 at 4:56 am

I love the aesthetics and the practicality of an Apple Watch, but I think I’m going to pause a while before getting it. I’m addicted to the phone enough as it is already!

• Erika Slaughter July 17, 2017 at 5:05 am

Okay! This post has me wanting to charge my Apple Watch!! I’ll be wearing that baby tomorrow!

• Courtney July 17, 2017 at 5:17 am

Do you respond to text messages on your watch? I’ve heard that is difficult, as the screen is tiny and not exactly ‘made for that’. What are your thoughts?
    XO
    Courtney

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:41 am

I do! You do it either by selecting one of the automatic replies or by using your voice to type.

• Paula July 17, 2017 at 4:15 pm

You can also click “scribble” and write with your finger. I had no clue for the longest, but it’s super easy if you’re somewhere that you can’t use the voice to text or if you need to type something besides the pre-set replies. 🙂

• Courtney July 18, 2017 at 5:20 am

I didn’t know this – thank you! 🙂

• Miriam July 17, 2017 at 5:18 am

Hi Shay, i just wanted to say that I love your blog, and that apple makes waterproof iPhones. iPhone 7 Is waterproof 😉

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:41 am

I just asked this question to someone else…I have an iPhone 7 and they told me that I could accidentally drop it in up to 4 inches of water and grab it quickly but not submerge it and like take photos under water and such?

• Carrissa July 17, 2017 at 10:46 am

Correct. Iphone 7 is water resistant, meaning it can get wet and not ruin it, but not made to be submerged under water for long periods of time 🙂

• Beth July 17, 2017 at 5:23 am

I absolutely love my Apple watch 2. I especially love keeping up with tracking my exercise – walking, circuit, and swimming. I track # laps and distance. I’ve passed up on other fitness trackers and am glad I waited until the Series 2 came out. I wear it all the time.
    I don’t have that exact watch face but will check out the displays as I think I like it better than the one I have. Is it a standard that comes with the watch? I don’t recall seeing it.
    Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:40 am

Yes! It’s my favorite watch face! It’s the “modular” one!

• Amanda July 17, 2017 at 5:36 am

The iPhone 7 is water resistant 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:39 am

But could I submerge it? I have an iPhone 7 and they told me I could drop it in 4 inches of water and grab it quickly but I couldn’t take it under water and take photos and such.

• Amanda July 17, 2017 at 5:41 am

I don’t think you can submerge it unfortunely 🙁 Maybe they will come up with that next!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:51 am

Right?! Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to actually take it in the pool/ocean and take photos??? I would love that!

• Chrissy July 17, 2017 at 11:32 pm

My understanding is they *are* working on doing that next. i think it’s one of the reasons they changed the headphones – I think it was harder to waterproof the old style headphone jack. I’m not sure if the next version will be ‘waterproof’ or still just ‘water resistant’, but from all the techy geek stuff I’ve read, part of waterproofing the watch was to test some things they can move over to the phone 🙂

• Taylor July 24, 2017 at 9:32 am

I’m late to the drawing board here, but I was told my iPhone 7 could withstand up to 30 minutes in just over three feet of water! It’s rated IP67. There are a lot of cautions involved, saltwater doesn’t count, the rubber gaskets can run out, etc. etc. BUT, I’ve dropped mine in the bath..more than once.. and it’s still going strong!!! 🙂

• Brooke H. July 17, 2017 at 5:55 am

Yes!!! I dropped mine into the deep end of our pool, watched it sink in a frozen state of horror, and then fished it out. It was probably submerged for a total of 90 seconds. As soon as I got it out of the water, it was still on, and I was able to call my husband (he works in wireless) for instructions. I just took off the case and let it dry for a while. Crazy!!!

• Emily K July 17, 2017 at 5:37 am

I don’t have one but my husband does and he uses it to track his golf game. There are all sorts of fancy golf apps and you can even get sensors on your clubs to see your swing (he doesn’t have that).

• Bethany July 17, 2017 at 5:39 am

I just have a simple FitBit and I love it. I love that text messages show up. It is so nice! I might have to upgrade to the Apple one day =)

• Elspeth Mizner July 17, 2017 at 5:40 am

What do your kiddos have? I noticed something on their wrists in the pool picture

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 5:42 am

They have Garmins and they love them!

• Amy July 17, 2017 at 6:15 am

Quite a few of my friends have purchased UNICEF Kid Power fitness trackers for their kids. Their fitness steps convert to UNICEF points that are used to purchase food packets for kids. The kids love keeping track of their steps and are doing great things for others. I believe most have purchased at Target but here is a link to their site if any mom’s are interested.

• Laura July 17, 2017 at 5:58 am

I have the exact same watch and I love it as well. I did buy a second band as well as I find the silicon bands don’t breathe very well. I would like the activity app to have more detail but for now it is sufficient.

• Mindy Tierney July 17, 2017 at 5:59 am

My husband has one. I think the original since he has had it over a year now. We were at Hershey Park (amusement park), and he went on a roller coaster with my daughter and other friends. I held his phone and our backpack as coasters make me sick! The line was long. Eventually I got a text from him saying they were boarding the ride. Yet, I had his phone. It was in range enough that he was able to text me from his watch. It was cool!!!

• Lindsey July 17, 2017 at 6:03 am

Just curious, how many steps do you get in a day and does your watch set a goal for you? I am not tech savvy either, but now that the watch is waterproof, I may look into getting one!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 6:07 am

I try to get at least 15,000 steps a day in. Some days, this is easy…other days, not so much!

• Narci Dreffs July 17, 2017 at 6:15 am

Love that it is waterproof!!! What a timesaver, too!

• Shala July 17, 2017 at 6:19 am

I have the Apple Watch 1 and love it! I’m a 5th grade teacher and I don’t have time to look at my phone throughout the day but I can glance at my watch when I get a text, email or phone call and see if it’s important. Also I love that it tracks my activity. It motivates me to be more active. 🤗

• Alexis deZayas July 17, 2017 at 6:25 am

You have me feeling like I need an Apple watch!!

• Samantha July 17, 2017 at 6:25 am

I love my Apple Watch 2 for most of the same reasons that you listed. I have not tried it in the water as I’m nervous but I saw your picture the other day and thought “if Shay Shull does it then it must be okay to do it” so I can’t wait to try that feature.

• Angelique July 17, 2017 at 6:34 am

I have the first edition of the Apple watch and it is SOOO frustrating and nerve-wracking wearing it during the summer when I feel like I’m in the pool or lake non-stop. I need to update soon! Also, did you know that you can buy wristbands on Amazon for super-cheap and they look just like the Apple ones? I got one for $10 when I grew sick of the color of the one mine came with. Yay for being able to change things up a bit without spending another $50!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 6:45 am

Okay, I bought a band on Amazon and one day, it broke and I didn’t realize it. Thankfully, I found my watch inside my house on the floor…but since then, I’ve been too nervous to wear bands that aren’t from Apple.

• Paige July 17, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Shay! I recently bought a little waterproof sleeve thing to slip my iPhone in!! It’s so awesome!!! Get one!! Type in OQOE Universal waterproof case. (The teal is a cute mint color). It’s like $8. I keep it in there while we are on the boat, and you can totally take pics underwater!!! It works so well. I ordered them for everyone on our trip!

• Sarah Lewis July 17, 2017 at 6:39 am

Under the “reminder” app on my phone I created a shopping list and shared it with my hubby. Well, when I run out of something or think of something we need, I just raise my wrist to activate the screen and say “hey Siri, add ___ to my shopping list” and she puts it there!!!! *insert the angel chorus singing* Then when I go to the store, I check stuff off my list from my watch and don’t have to worry about my toddler trying to steal my pen lol. LOVE my watch!

• Kristin July 17, 2017 at 7:20 am

I do this too! It’s one of my top Apple Watch features! I have a list for each of the stores I go to frequently and add things when I think of them and just check them off on my watch in the stores! So awesome!

• Jordan@the2seasons July 17, 2017 at 6:47 am

I just got the apple watch for Mothers day and LOVE it so much. I agree 100% I check my phone way less and now I can actually find my phone. Being able to answer a call on the phone and then track down my phone is one of my favorite things. Still figuring out the best apps but I absolutely love it.

• Jenna July 17, 2017 at 6:49 am

I just got one but it’s not tracking my exercise and steps right. Is it automatic like Fit Bit or do I need to synch/do something? I expected it to just know when I’m exercising but it definitely does not. Help!!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 7:19 am

You need to open the fitness app and input your personal info!

• Jenna July 17, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Is that the “Activity” app?

• Abby July 17, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Yes! And I had to calibrate mine. So going to ‘Workout’ and selecting “outdoor walk”. Walk around outside for 20-30 minutes and the watch will start tracking your steps and calories correctly.

• Lindsey July 17, 2017 at 6:56 am

My favorite part about the watch is being able to ping my phone and find it quickly! I’m always misplacing my phone around the house and then I can’t find it. This button has made my life so much easier! 😜

• Brooks M July 17, 2017 at 10:57 am

YES! This is my favorite part too! I am constantly putting my phone done and not remembering where it is (or having a little person move it somewhere else)! So helpful!

• Beth Miller July 17, 2017 at 7:03 am

I just recently upgraded from a FitBit Charge 2 to the Apple Watch 2. I love it!!! The activity and heart rate tracking is much better and more accurate than my FitBit. I love tracking my sleep as well. If you wear it to bed, it will tell you all about the quality of your sleep. I charge mine while I’m doing my morning Bible study and blog reading (so right now :)). The face you use for your watch can suck your battery as well. I found that the modular face drained the batter much faster than the normal watch face. I can still see my steps, battery life, and activity tracker, but the battery lasts much longer! The first time I got in the pool with it on, my daughter freaked out! She was so nervous I would ruin it. I was hilarious!

• Sarah Henning July 17, 2017 at 7:08 am

I love my series 2 Apple Watch as well! I don’t mind the battery life because I just charge it every night. It never runs out. I’ve forgotten to charge it and made it half way through the next day before the battery went low. I’d like to get a fancier band for mine so I’d love a review on different band options! The fitness tracker is my favorite. Based on your movement from the previous week, it sets daily goals for movement, standing and fitness. I wore mine in the lake last week.

• Jennifer July 17, 2017 at 7:09 am

Where is your rug from in your closet? So pretty!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 7:17 am

It’s from the Chip & Joanna Gaines collection. I bought it online!

• Sarah Henning July 17, 2017 at 7:10 am

Also, I love that it has GPS and can connect your maps to give directions and haptics to your phone. It is so much safer to glance at your wrist in the steering wheel when driving!

• Maggie July 17, 2017 at 7:23 am

I love my Apple Watch! I think the fitness app is my favorite feature! I love that it reminds you to stand up throughout the day and helps me push myself to reach my daily fitness goals. I love having access to the weather, texts, my steps and email all from my wrist! You can also purchase leather replacement bands from Amazon if you want to dress your watch up a bit! Love your blog!

• Anne July 17, 2017 at 7:23 am

Totally off the subject of the Apple Watch, however I have a question about the bracelets. I bought the gold and silver ones from a post of yours a while back. I have had trouble with them falling off…haven’t lost them but now afraid to wear them. Have you had this happen?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Oh no! I have not. I would be so bummed if I lost one!

• Laura @ Laura Likes Design July 17, 2017 at 7:29 am

Ahh! I want one of these so bad! It would be so much easier to track my steps and runs rather than using my iPhone!

LauraLikesDesign.com/Blog

• Gillian July 17, 2017 at 7:29 am

I love mine for all of the reasons you said. But another reason that I love my Apple Watch is Apple Pay. Both of my grocery stores except Apple Pay plus a bunch of other places that I go to frequently do. It’s so easy to just tap a button and hold your Watch up to the scanner. No need to pull out your wallet:)

• Erin July 17, 2017 at 7:35 am

LOVE my Apple Watch! I’ve been too scared to wear it in the pool with my kids, but on the other hand want those calories tracked 😉. Does it have a setting it has to be on when in the water?!

• Ashley July 17, 2017 at 7:39 am

I have the iPhone 7 and I take videos and photos underwater and it’s still working! I had a friend tell me that it was able to do it and then I confirmed with the Apple Store. I wouldn’t submerge it in more than a few feet but, mines definitely been under for at least 60-90 seconds to take underwater videos of my kids swimming.

• Megan July 17, 2017 at 7:43 am

I also LOVE my Apple Watch! I agree that my number one complaint is the battery life. I wish I could go away for the weekend without packing a charger. My biggest benefit is the piece of mind that I have knowing my kids’ school can easily get ahold of me. No more constantly checking my phone! It’s so liberating!

• Rebecca July 17, 2017 at 7:44 am

I love my apple watch! I echo your thoughts that I check my phone less, which is win! I feel like I am constantly losing my phone, so the ability to “ding” it from my apple watch is soooooo helpful.

• LeAnna McKinney July 17, 2017 at 7:46 am

I’m obsessed with my Apple Watch also. I have the first version and feel naked if I’m no wearing it. Not only for phone calls, texts and fitness tracker….but alarms/timers, clock, emails and GPS. When driving, of your GPS is on…it’ll vibrate to let you know it’s time to turn. Very helpful!

• Angela Ellingson July 17, 2017 at 7:47 am

Does the fitness app just come on the phone or did you download a specific app?

• Kelly Branigan July 17, 2017 at 7:54 am

LOVE my Apple Watch!! With two little kids it’s a lifesaver! I’ve told all my mom friends they need one bc it’s like a personal assistant. Ha! I use the “hey Siri, add ____ to my grocery list” ALL the time. I also downloaded the Water Minder app and added it to my watch face to keep track of how much water I’m drinking during the day. And I love the fitness component🙌🏼Love your blog and love seeing your sweet family!

• Heather July 17, 2017 at 7:56 am

Sometimes the GPS tracker is off when I’m on a walk or run. Has anyone else had that issue? It won’t calculate distance correctly and it’s frustrating. Also, any good fitness apps I should be using? I use the default ones that came with it but wonder if there are better ones out there.

• Patricia July 17, 2017 at 8:03 am

I must say that I based my Apple Watch decision after your blog posts and I couldn’t be happier with it. I also got the series 2 strictly because it is waterproof and I love it. I can swim, bathe, do dishes, etc without having to worry about the fact that it’s getting wet. I had issues with my battery life initially and I was really frustrated because I didn’t feel as though I was doing a lot with it during the day but I would go to bed with >30% battery life. Things that helped me were turning off background app refresh and automatic app install. I can now make it through the day and still have over 60% battery life however, my day does not stretch as long as yours. 🙂

• Britt July 17, 2017 at 8:17 am

Ugh this makes me want it so bad! My husband and I got “fancy” watches for our anniversary before the apple watches came out. I know if I get the 2, I’ll never wear my nice watch that I love. But I think it’s time we upgraded. The fitness trackers, phone finding & phone features are just too good to pass up. What are your favorite apps?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I seem to use the Activity one the most. I also have songs downloaded in my watch for when I’m out walking. I use the timer a lot when I’m cooking and the alarm too for remembering things!

• Emma Schroeter July 17, 2017 at 8:17 am

What are your favorite bracelets to wear with your watch?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Right now, the Nike band.

• Katie Godwin July 17, 2017 at 8:18 am

So this just confirmed my love for the Apple Watch- mine came in Saturday morning, so I spent all day yesterday trying to figure it out. LOL. I have no idea what I am doing, why do “groups” of photos keep changing on the watch and how do I edit the entire group to pick which photos I want? Every couple pics are a screenshot of a recipe (insert laughing face!)

• Abie July 17, 2017 at 8:23 am

Ok, this is going to make me sound like a total nut case 😂, but does anyone know about the radiation it gives off? I would LOVE to get one, but I feel like it would be like having my phone attached to my body all day. Is it healthy/safe? Just wondering if they’ve published anything on this.
    Thanks!

• Sarah July 18, 2017 at 8:29 am

I was wondering about this too!

• Nicole in WI July 17, 2017 at 8:28 am

I have an Apple Watch 1 and I am still in love with it. My battery life is getting worse since I have had it about a year and a half now, it literally dies at the end of the day. I am contemplating upgrading to the 2 – but I am wondering if I should hold off until the September announcements in case there is a 3 coming shortly….

I love the activity stuff. I used it to lose 35 pounds so far this year. So it is totally worth it. I buy all my bands on Amazon and have zero issues. In LOVE.

• Holly Ferrero July 17, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Sometimes if you reboot the watch and your phone the battery will improve. Here are instructions from apple site:

The following steps may help, having previously resolved battery life issues for some users, including after software updates when usage has not otherwise changed:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first;
      – Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
      – Restart your Apple Watch
      There are other ideas in the article if that doesn’t work:

• Maisey July 17, 2017 at 8:29 am

I love your watch face/band! Can you link to it? I can’t seem to find it.

• Courtney July 17, 2017 at 8:30 am

Thanks for the great info!! I’ve been wanting one for awhile… one question- is there a reason that you got the bigger face?? I was planning to get the 38mm one…thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I like bigger watches on my wrist :). Just for that reason!

• Sheaffer Sims July 17, 2017 at 8:37 am

Your love for this watch is deep. 🙂

• Jenn July 17, 2017 at 8:43 am

I have the iphone 7 and I swim with it on a daily basis. It can’t go deeper than 3 feet or stay submerged longer than 30 minutes but I keep mine in the pool every time I’m swimming! I also have it on my armband when I’m at the gym pool!

• Dana Vissage July 17, 2017 at 8:47 am

My husband just bought me the Series 2 for my birthday!! I absolutely love it! My only concern (and it’s probably silly) is that I can’t get Instagram to work on it. Do you use Instagram on yours?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Yes! I can scroll through. Delete it off of your watch app and add it back.

• Serena Welch July 17, 2017 at 8:51 am

This post couldn’t have come at a better time! I was looking at them over the weekend trying to decide if I want/need one. Are you able to count steps? That’s one feature I really want.

• Holly Ferrero July 17, 2017 at 8:52 am

I still have a Series 1 and I wear it in the water all the time. Like in the shower, the pool and water parks. I did it accidentally in the shower once and it was fine so I kept doing it. I’ve never had an issue, but it could be just me. My feelings won’t be hurt if it breaks and I have to get a new one. 🙂

I recently purchased an app called HeartWatch to try to better track my heart rate – I don’t feel like the app that comes with it gives you any really good info except what your current heart rate is.

I had it for over a year before I figured out that I had to specifically open the Workout app before starting workout for it to count as a Workout for the badges, etc. I do wish it could just tell if I walked a mile and a half that it should be just counted as a workout.

• Lisa July 17, 2017 at 8:52 am

I had the same issue with my battery life. I took it to the Apple Store and on the Apple Watch app, click general and background app refresh. Almost every app I had was on refresh. I turned most of them off. All the others that are turned off will automatically update when you tap on them. My battery power has greatly improved. J hope this helps you.

• Karah Stracener July 17, 2017 at 8:56 am

I’ve gone back and forth about wanting an Apple Watch because I feel like I’m already on my phone enough. You definitely have me wanting one now, looking at my phone less plus it’s water proof!! I also have been looking into the fit but for s fitness tracker but sounds like the Apple Watch has everything I would need. I need to add it to my wish list.

• Colleen Sullivan July 17, 2017 at 9:09 am

I love that watch! Definitely my next watch purchase. Also love your hair in the last picture! Need some tips!

• Jennifer July 17, 2017 at 9:13 am

What about music – can you wear it running without taking your phone and still be able to listen to music through the apps?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Yes! You can download music to your watch!!

• Allison July 17, 2017 at 10:08 am

Apart from the obvious – being able to check your phone without having it, I love the timer! I love that I can be cooking something and be able to go outside without having to worry about something overcoming/ burning! I looooove mine and your first review was what convinced me to get one 😉

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I use the timer ALL THE TIME!

• Stacy July 17, 2017 at 10:20 am

So I got the Apple Watch for Christmas and it’s still in the box!!! It’s seems intimidating to me and I’ve just left it there. With you being not teckie, I’m thinking I want to tackle the setup and start wearing it. Thanks for the great post as usual.

• Kayla B July 17, 2017 at 10:21 am

YAY! This post is perfectly timed. Just last week I was trying to find your original Apple Watch post because I am looking at getting one next month. This makes me even more excited! Does it come with a band or do you have to buy a band in addition to the watch?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:56 pm

It comes with a band!

• Alissa July 17, 2017 at 10:22 am

How do you get the watch to show the actual data and not the activity rings? I like that so much better.

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:55 pm

You scroll through from the Modular face. Click on the face and then you can toggle and scroll to find what you want.

• Stephanie July 17, 2017 at 10:34 am

Please, please, please do a tour of your remodeled closet. My hubby and I are about to remodel and I need closet ideas.

• Jen July 17, 2017 at 10:54 am

Hey Shay! I also have the Apple Watch 2 and love it! Quick question: do you have a watch face protector on yours? I currently don’t, but am wondering if I should.

Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:55 pm

I do not!

• Janice July 17, 2017 at 11:02 am

I have a 38mm Apple Watch 2 with a metal aftermarket band from Amazon. I love it. I like being able to answer my watch/phone while walking the dogs. I wear it during water aerobics. I track my activity. Just love it.

• Candace Sauter July 17, 2017 at 11:23 am

I love my Apple Watch 2! I am a kindergarten teacher, so I can’t be checking my phone all of the time. I love that I can see who is calling or texting or emailing. It is the best! I also use it to ping my phone, as I am always setting it down somewhere. I must admit that I have been so nervous about submerging it, that I haven’t gotten it wet yet. It is good to see that you have, and that it survived! Maybe that will give me the courage to get mine wet!

I see that you wear bracelets on the same arm as your watch. Do they scratch the watch? I’ve been afraid to do that too!

• Amy July 17, 2017 at 11:36 am

What weather app do you use to get the temp? Mine just shows rain chance.

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:54 pm

The Weather Channel

• Diana Knocke July 17, 2017 at 11:40 am

My husband gifted me this watch when we had our first baby this past January! It’s so useful and I love that I’m not constantly checking my phone! Also, as a new parent, I’m able to spend more quality time yet not miss important calls or messages during “diaper changes” 😬 and play time! I actually charge it during the evening and wear it to sleep at night because I love the watch wake up alarm! It doesn’t wake up baby or husband (vibrates on wrist) , especially when I had to get up in the middle the night to pump!!

• Kristina Sorensen July 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

Can you tell me a little more about how music works with the Apple Watch? Are you able to download music to your Apple Watch and listen to it with wireless headphones without your phone being nearby? I’m a runner and am looking for a new smart watch that will allow me to play music/track miles, etc. Thank you! -Kristina

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Yes! You absolutely can do that!

• Jaren July 17, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I’m glad you posted this today. I’ve actually been thinking of getting one more and more and looked up your old post the other day!

• Lauren July 17, 2017 at 12:22 pm

My favorite feature on my Apple Watch is it finds my iPhone. My kids are always taking my phone and setting it down in a random place when they are done with it or I set it down and get distracted by kids and forget where I left it. 1 touch on my watch and my iPhone is pinging

• Zahra July 17, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Do you use a screen protector for your watch?

FYI-Best Buy has the Series 2 watches $70 off right now. Just in case some readers and hoping to purchase…

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I do not! And that’s great to know!!

• Amanda July 17, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I have been trying to decide what color face I want. Where did you buy your extra band?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Apple Store!

• Kori Chambers July 17, 2017 at 1:11 pm

I’m interested in knowing if the Apple Watch plays/saves playlists for use while running. And, can it connect to my Bluetooth headphones? I would LOVE if I could run without my phone and just use an Apple Watch for playlists and connecting to my Bluetooth Headphones. I, too, am not tech savvy!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:52 pm

IT DOES!!!!!!

• Natalie July 17, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I received my Apple watch 2 for Mother’s Day, and I love it!!! I love that it keeps track of my fitness and heart rate; that I can leave my phone at home when I am on a walk and when I come back, it updates my steps; the GPS connecting to Maps for directions (I used this yesterday-it’s awesome!), that I can choose what I want notifications from; and most of all, that I am looking at my phone so much less. It is one of the best gifts ever!

• Cindy Beck July 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Hi Shay. I love your necklace. Did you get the gold or silver (I can’t tell from the picture). I’m trying to decide which would be most versatile. I’m also biting the bullet and ordering those sandals. I’ve loved them for years. Thanks!

• Christine V July 17, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I know this sounds silly, but I would love to know how you do your hair up like in the last picture. You seem to always have a unintentional/perfect pouf with your sides tight in a high messy bun. I’ve read your posts about how you do your hair at night and what products you use, but I can’t recall a post how you put your hair in a ponytail. I just want to know how you get your pouf with the sides tight. Silly…I know 🙂 Thanks, Shay!

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Oh my goodness! In person, you would not be impressed! I just pretend like I’m doing a pony tail but don’t pull it through on the third time.

• Linh July 17, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Hey Shay!! I know it’s off the topic but want to ask if they make watches for kids to keep tracker of their surroundings

• Ashley July 17, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I notice that you stack bracelets with your watch! I always want to but am afraid of the bracelets dinging up the sides of my watch. Do you have that problem?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Not one bit!

• Karen July 17, 2017 at 1:55 pm

I don’t have the Apple watch, but I do have a Pebble time and it is waterproof. I love, love it. Wish I had the Apple but just don’t have any apple products so it would not be a good fit for me. My pebble is android friendly and does most of what the apple does and it is available thru Amazon if you want to check it out.

• Caroline July 17, 2017 at 2:05 pm

LOVE my apple watch! I debated back and forth (price!) between the 1 and 2 and am SO GLAD I went with the 2. Even bath time and doing dishes has sent my arms completely under water and I don’t even have to worry about it with the 2. I got the smaller face (38 I think) because I am only 5 feet and have short arms as it is lol.

I must say it is KINDA creepy to pay using my starbucks app from my phone. The barcode is slightly apocalyptic to me haha! And I agree with battery life. It has to be charged nightly. Also wish it would go longer which would make travel easier.

• Caroline July 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm

sorry I mean to say paying from my WATCH* haha

• Kasi July 17, 2017 at 2:16 pm

I love mine too! I do find that I get two days wear out of it… I only charge every other night. I guess I have less apps on it? As far as the texting that lots are asking about… yes, responding with the writing style of text can be cumbersome but there is voice to text which I find to be way more accurate than my phone. Do you find that to be the case too? My favorite features are being able to ping my iphone and being able to use it as a remote for my camera on my phone.. those two things along made it worth the price to me…

• Molly July 17, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I recently bought one of those things on a lanyard for my iPhone, it is touch sensitive and completely waterproof so I can take pictures underwater! So fun!

• Danielle Owen July 17, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Hi Shay! I’ve really been contemplating getting an Apple Watch, but my only concern is that then I wouldn’t wear any of my other watches! I have some great MK watches, so I’m nervous that this will replace them. Do you feel like it has?

• Mix and Match Mama July 17, 2017 at 2:50 pm

It has…but I’m okay with that. I love my Apple Watch too much.

• Laure July 17, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Do you use instagram on your watch? I can’t get mine to work.

• Emily King July 17, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I have the 38mm silver and a bunch of bands from Amazon. I love mine for the reasons you mentioned. I actually bought it for reason #1–I don’t want to feel like I have to check my phone all the time to check client emails. Also, once I pick up my phone I feel like I have to answer emails/phone calls/texts, which is not always the case. I needed to be more present with the people right in front of me, not the people on the other side of a keyboard/phone. Now the emails and texts just slide in and I find my phone when I need to.

• Nikki Contreras July 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm

This may have been the post that brings me to Team Apple Watch! Just this past winter, I finally drank the Iphone kool-aid and I don’t regret it one bit! However, I am one Frugal Momma, so the price will definitely be a key factor in my potential purchase. Thanks for the post.

• Randi July 17, 2017 at 6:06 pm

I sheepishly say – I love my Apple watch…my husband bought me a Apple 1 for the holidays and I never wore it because I am in the water all the time. Why would I wear a watch that I couldn’t wear in the water. Plus I am a watch lover. I have a bunch of different expensive watches and some just cheap junk. My husband kept commenting that I wasn’t wearing my watch and I finally blurted out that he was the one that wanted the watch (I’ll be honest it was rude) and I didn’t think the silicone band looked professional with my suits and office attire. For my birthday in March he bought me an Apple watch 2 (brave man) and I LOVE IT. I wear it everyday. I only take it off to charge it and I have several bands. I like to wear the silicone when I am with the kids, in the pool, just running around. I have a metal band that I love and wear to the office and a black leather band that looks sharp too. I have the 42mm Rose gold face as well. I am totally not tech savvy at all and I don’t even use the watch to it’s best ability. I texted and answer calls on it all the time. I love the stop watch for swimming laps, timing the kids and generally knowing my activity level.

• Amy July 17, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Hi! Reading this post late because I just had a busy day in Washington D.C.! Been here a few times before, and after your trip this spring break I was excited to go back again and see more! Ironically, today we were in Georgetown and came upon that J. Paul restaurant that I had remembered you had eaten at, and we stopped and it was delicious! Love it here, and love reading your blog! Good Apple watch suggestions – might put it on my next wish list 😉

• Sharon S July 17, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Don’t submerge your iPhone 7! My husband swore his iPhone 7 could be used in water like you described and on our cruise took it with us to Dunn’s Rivers Falls to take pics. Well that was awesome and he took a ton of pics, but it killed his phone. That night it no longer worked :-(. And since it is just water resistant and not waterproof the warranty didn’t apply. Expensive mistake – ouch!

I have the iPhone Watch 1 and I hate the lack of battery life. The battery doesn’t even last me the day. But I too love that I don’t have to know where my phone is all the time b/c I can see who is calling or texting me. I haven’t really figured out the activity tracker portion of it, though, and don’t find it very intuitive. Like my Fitbit much better for that, but it’s probably apple watch user error on my part. I just need to figure it out.

• Leah Claire Hall July 17, 2017 at 9:51 pm

My friend and I were just talking about how getting Apple Watches last Christmas was the best decision we made all year. My favorite part was also the fact that I am not on my phone as much throughout the day. Also, I frequently misplace my phone and I love the ping feature that always helps me find it even if it is on silent. It also has made me more active and my friends and I have had so much fun sharing our activity with each other because it motivates and encourages us to stay active together. Now I just need to upgrade because I do wish mine was waterproof especially at the pool. I will always recommend the Apple Watch!

• Lindsay July 17, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I love that it’s lightweight on my wrist and not bulky. I wear it all day and hardly notice that it’s there! I also use it to help me find my phone about 5 times a day….I have no idea how I used to keep track of my phone! 🙂

• Selena Pallas July 17, 2017 at 11:26 pm

I love my Apple Watch! I have a series 1 that I won at a Christmas party, (I’m still thrilled and shocked that I won it). What I love most is the Dexcom app. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic and I can get updates on his blood sugar levels all day long just by looking at my watch. I just wish I could customize the face and add the app (like you do with some of the other features) so that I can just click straight to his information. But hey I’m still glad I have a way to keep him safe and healthy.

• Chrissy July 17, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I waited until the 2 was available, because I wanted it to be waterproof, and I LOVE it. I was just singing its praises to a girlfriend this weekend. Wear it all day, every day. I do take it off to charge and in the shower. I love it for all the same reasons you do. Love not having to carry my phone around and still know I won’t miss an important email/text/call.

• Laurie July 18, 2017 at 6:34 am

I love my Apple 2 watch! As a teacher, I use the features constantly in the classroom. I use the timer multiple times a day. It is also handy to see texts and not have to carry my phone around with me. I did not know that you could swim with it on though. I thought it was water resistant and I take it off when we go swimming. Don’t know that I am brave enough to wear it in the water! 🙂

• Beth July 18, 2017 at 7:26 am

Love this post and all of the comments! I’m wearing my watch and going to get in the pool today! I need to get over my fear of getting it wet and thinking it will break because it WON’T! I love responding to texts on my watch via scribble if I’m in a meeting or the voice option if my hands are full! As a teacher I love that I can glance at my watch to see texts or who is calling because otherwise I will sometimes forget to look at my phone all day!

• Kasey Boening July 18, 2017 at 8:23 am

I already have issues with running out of data each month. Do you find yourself using more data with the Apple Watch?

• Mix and Match Mama July 18, 2017 at 8:35 am

The watch does not use any additional data!

• Kasey Boening July 18, 2017 at 9:06 am

Thank you for the quick response. I think I am going to take advantage of the Best Buy deal today!!

• amy July 18, 2017 at 9:49 am

I love that when I am at a meeting or a get to together I don’t have to have my phone right with me or in my pocket. I can easily see if my teenagers are trying to reach me. I love that my Life 360 app to monitor my teen driver sends notices to it as well. That app is wonderful for parents of teens!!!

• Kari July 18, 2017 at 10:24 am

I have the 1st series and I love it! Bought it after your first Apple Watch review. Does anyone know if there is some kind of cover that works with it to make it water proof/ resistant?

• Britt Hensley July 18, 2017 at 5:48 pm

I wasn’t a watch person until this watch. I have the 2, and it’s literally the best thing ever! {slight over exaggeration?!} The waterproof feature is great, except for those watch tan lines because you don’t have to take it off at the beach or pool. Is there a way Apple could work on tanning our wrists, too?! haha

• angelina July 18, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I love my apple watch but wish I had the second watch too… but can’t justify buying another one just because mine isn’t waterproof and the battery doesn’t last as long. I tried to earn the latest badge but then my battery died mid-walk when I was at 3.3 miles and I never earned it!! Totally agree with you that it makes you aware of your fitness!

• Lindy Nicole July 21, 2017 at 8:36 pm

I am also obsessed with my Apple Watch ( and I bought mine after reading your Apple Watch Post Part 1 😉 ) One of my favorite things about it is the Maps app. I love that it has different haptic feedback for turning right vs. turning left – have you noticed that?? It’s multiple taps for right on your wrist and I think 2 for left! I love that I can just glance at my watch for my next direction instead of looking at my phone! I also have the same band you have – it is my favorite! I bought it just for working out, but it is so comfy and doesn’t stretch like my other apple watch band did.

• Ashley July 23, 2017 at 1:10 am

I also LOVE my Apple Watch and am so happy my husband gifted me the 2. I swim with it all the time – in lake water – with no problems. And love that it tracks that activity! My favorite app is called Seconds – it’s a fitness timer that does intervals, tabatas, etc. I can input the workout I’m doing (mostly use it for running intervals, sprint workouts, etc) and it will buzz with each interval completion. I love that I’m not looking at my wrist constantly during my workouts.

• Keely July 24, 2017 at 4:00 am

I would love to see posts regarding interior design!! Your closet looks awesome I would love to see photos!!

• Holly August 10, 2017 at 2:16 am

I love my apple watch. It keeps me off my phone and helps me find my phone I misplace it around the house all. of. the. time. As a weight watchers member I love that it syncs with the app and on my watch face I can see how many smart points I have used and how many I have left. I buy my bands for under $10 on amazon and I have them in every color. I love to switch them up depending on what I am wearing.
    When you put it on the Minnie/Mickey face you tap your screen and they tell you the time in their animated voice plus it is perfect for a trip to Disney!