Summer 2017 Recap!

Oh this blog post title is a little depressing, right?

Recap?

How are we already recapping???  It feels like summer just began!!!

But…on Monday, my kids start school, so as sad as it is, it’s happening and I better gear up for it.

Last summer, I recapped our top 10 things from the season, so I decided to do it again this year too.

The only thing that is pulling me out of this end of summer blues is the fact that just around the corner is all things fall.  Nothing makes this girl happier than pumpkin season 🙂 !

Okay, we sat down at dinner and picked out Top 10 things from Summer 2017.  Here you go…

#10: Britt is here!!

Britt Slaughter made her debut at the end of May…and now, there are 12.  She just fit into our little framily group so easily and we love her SO MUCH!!

#9: July 4th!

July 4th in McKinney, TX is one of our FAVORITES every single year.  We have such a full day and it never disappoints!  When we think about summer, we always think about how we spend Independence Day!

#8: Pool time with friends!

Spending our days (and sometimes nights) at the pool with friends.  When my kiddos look back on their childhood summers, I hope it involves lots of memories of friends, water, popsicles and fun by the pool.

#7: Summer sports!

This was our first summer to play sports and it worked out well! Kensington loved playing basketball and Smith enjoyed flag football too.

#6: Family fun at night!

We like to do things as a family at night and this summer, it was everything from swimming together, golfing, going for walks, bike rides or just riding around on our golf cart.  We just love staying up a little later and being outside together.

#5: Our two trips to NYC!

Smith, Ashby and Andrew loved going to NYC in August to see the Yankees play and…

…Kensington and I had the best time in NYC in June cooking with Kathie Lee and Hoda 🙂 .

#4: Ashby turned five!

Our sweet Ashby turned FIVE on June 9, and we celebrated with Princess Ashby’s Party.  We just love this girl so much!

#3: San Antonio with the Slaughters!

Our trip to San Antonio with the Slaughters was so much fun!!  We still cannot stop talking about it around here!

#2: Alaskan Cruise with our whole family!

We kicked off summer with an Alaskan cruise with my side of the family and it was a BLAST!  We made memories that will last a lifetime on this trip!

#1: Our first summer with Madeley!

This kid was the highlight of our summer.

This was our first summer with Madeley James and she MADE IT for us!  Her easy going, spunky attitude was just what this family needed.  We will always remember Summer 2017 as our first summer with this sweet girl.  We LOVED our first summer as a family of six!

That wraps up summer at the Shull house.  Tomorrow, I’m sharing pics from our trip with the Slaughters.  In the meantime, I’m ordering lots of cinnamon scented candles and thinking about where I’m going to put my pumpkins.  It’s almost the best time of the year!!!

Sending lots of love from us to you today!

xo

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 22, 2017 at 4:43 am

You guys had such an event-packed summer! I’m sure the kids will all remember it years to come – though I bet the next few years will get better and better!

• Erika Slaughter August 22, 2017 at 5:01 am

Wahoo!! What a summer! You guys packed a lot of fun into two and a half months!

• Bernadine August 22, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Just red the comments from last year 😁 Erika, you DID make the top 5 this year 😉

• Angela Ellingson August 22, 2017 at 5:02 am

What a great summer recap! So many incredible memories! Happy Tuesday!!

• Courtney August 22, 2017 at 5:20 am

I love this..for two reasons. One, you have a great top 10 list and two I LOVE FALL! 🙂 I’m right there with you, thinking about pumpkins and Fall outfits.
    XO
    Courtney

• Sarah Shaneyfelt August 22, 2017 at 5:22 am

Y’all had such a fun summer! While y’all are just gearing up for school to begin, I’m already counting down to Labor Day when we have our first off day from school haha! Teachers have been in school since August 4th.
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Hillary August 22, 2017 at 5:28 am

What a wonderful summer!! Where do you get your candals from?

• Mix and Match Mama August 22, 2017 at 5:38 am

My favorite place is http://www.circleecandles.com 🙂 . Get a Country Morning one! It smells like pumpkin spice!

• Elspeth Mizner August 22, 2017 at 5:42 am

Great recap and what a fun and busy summer. So sad it’s over but I’m ready for fall too! I also shared a summer recap on my blog today. Have a great last week of summer!

• Alexis deZayas August 22, 2017 at 6:23 am

I’m so sad to see summer go but SO excited for the fall! Y’all soaked in all the summer fun!!

• Megan August 22, 2017 at 6:28 am

What a great summer! My kids have already been back in school for a month which somewhat stinks but since we leave for China tomorrow to get our newest little gal I’m kind of glad we are already in a good routine before the chaos begins.

• Mix and Match Mama August 22, 2017 at 6:37 am

Megan! I am just so excited for your family!!!! I can’t wait to see pictures when you get her!

• Narci Dreffs August 22, 2017 at 6:28 am

Aw, what a fun summer for your crew! We have loved summer pool days with your crew! Xo

• Carly August 22, 2017 at 6:30 am

Thank goodness we live in a world that right after summer there is a fall! What a great summer, hope the rest of your year is just as blessed!

• Sarah August 22, 2017 at 6:34 am

I’m also totally ready for fall! In fact, I’ve already burned a pumpkin candle and made THREE pumpkin desserts hahaha.

Looks like your summer was a blast!! And I totally agree – making fun memories for the kids is where it’s at!!

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Elizabeth August 22, 2017 at 6:40 am

Hi Shay! Loving this recap. You guys look like you had such a great summer! Have you ever thought about trying Young Living essential oils and diffusing fall scents instead of using candles in your home? I used to be a candle addict until I learned how harmful they are to our health! I’ve replaced them with YL essential oils and call me crazy, but I don’t even miss candles anymore. Plus, not only are the oils making our house smell great they are beneficial for our health! I’d be happy to give you more info if you’d like!

• Mix and Match Mama August 22, 2017 at 6:41 am

I’ve actually used a lot of YL products! They do smell so good! My friend Jeni is really into them, so that’s how I started buying them myself!

• sydnee August 22, 2017 at 6:48 am

You’ve had quite the summer, what fun memories! It’s been the pool for us all summer, sad it’s coming to an end but so looking forward to cooler weather where I can wear layers. 😉

• Lizzie @ This Happy Life August 22, 2017 at 6:57 am

What an awesome summer you guys had! I loved following along!

• Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams August 22, 2017 at 7:07 am

I’m definitely a summer girl so I’m sad to see it go but it looks like the shells made the most of it! That last picture of Madeley is just tooooo cute 🙂
    xo

• Francie August 22, 2017 at 7:39 am

Wow, you guys sure did a lot of traveling this summer. Beautiful pics! http://www.supersimpleways.com

• Karen August 22, 2017 at 8:05 am

You were in San Antonio!! Yay!!
    Shay, one day, I’ll cross paths with you, and I want my recipe book signed – if you don’t mind!! I’ll keep it close any time I’m in your area of the world. I hope my city was good to you and your framily! 😉

• Casey August 22, 2017 at 8:08 am

Noticed your little girls wear mini Melissa shoes which I love, but my daughter needs to size up to an 11 and apparently they only go up to a 10!! Have you found anything similar in bigger sizes?! Thanks!

• Marilyn Bridges August 22, 2017 at 8:26 am

What a great summer recap! I’m inspired to go buy some fall candles now!

• Kristin B. August 22, 2017 at 8:35 am

Hi Shay! Love your Summer re-cap! Our family was trying to remember where you ordered the containers from that you use in the kids lunch boxes? Trying to get a little more creative this year in the lunch department 🙂

• Laci August 22, 2017 at 8:47 am

Summer looks like it was great!!!

• heidi August 22, 2017 at 9:15 am

What a great summer filled with memories to cherish!
    We go back after labour day. . Then bring on the pumpkin spice lol

• Kerri August 22, 2017 at 9:30 am

I am watching Find Me on Netflix right now! SO GOOD. The most profound thing so far is “why did you choose to adopt from china?” “Because that’s where our children were.”

• Jennifer August 22, 2017 at 9:34 am

This is completely random, but I am reading the new book by Debbie Macomber right now and the main character is named Shay! I have never heard your name before and now it’s in a book!

• Angelique August 22, 2017 at 9:43 am

I love summer recaps! Nights by the community pool are the best – we do that often during the summer too. Throw in dinner by the pool and you have an easy and clean (well chlorine-tinged clean) bedtime transition at home. 😴😴

• Amanda @ That Inspired Chick August 22, 2017 at 9:45 am

Y’all summer’d hard!! So many fun things!!! And I just bought a ton of fall candles Sunday and may have been burned one all day yesterday… 😉 Can’t wait to see all the pics of y’all’s trip!!

That Inspired Chick

• Amanda August 22, 2017 at 10:02 am

I’m sad summer is ending, but I can’t be sad about the return of all things pumpkin. The stores have already started putting their fall things in the windows and I just can’t wait to decorate!

• Nancie August 22, 2017 at 10:04 am

I absolutely love your family storybook Summer! I don’t comment very often, but I read your blog every time it pops up in my email! Summer is all year round in Florida, but I do have to say I miss Fall very much! Autumn Leaves by Yankee Candle is my favorite. You may like it too! Keep sending those pictures! I love you guys!!!

• Gabrielle Storey August 22, 2017 at 10:28 am

Love following along with you guys this summer! Sounds like it was one for the books! Enjoy your last couple of days!!

• Michelle August 22, 2017 at 11:11 am

Yankee Candle- Farmer’s Market. THE BEST SCENTED CANDLE OUT THERE. They run buy 2, get 2 free specials all the time. I buy 8 at a time! HA! I light it from late August through the Christmas holiday!!

• Cindy Beck August 22, 2017 at 11:58 am

Great re-cap. You certainly have a lot of fun memories with your beautiful family. Random question….do you think the navy dress you’re wearing on the Today cooking segment would work for a somewhat casual outdoor wedding??

• April August 22, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Love your summer recap. It definitely looks like yall made the most of your summer.. and yes, they go by so quickly!! It seems like school years last longer and summer ends sooner than it used to be. Just my little rant! Anyway… I ordered your cookbook set, I CANNOT wait to get them. I made your Chicken Spinach enchiladas this weekend and my husband said that was the most flavorful meal he’s had! It was a HUGE hit in our home!!!

• Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World August 22, 2017 at 12:34 pm

How did I know that spending your first summer with Miss Madeley was going to be number one?! ;o) But seriously, you guys are so lucky to have many, many more summers with her!!

And yes to all the fall things!! T-minus 9 days until I decorate the whole house for fall! And I may have already started burning my Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin candle… #Oops

• Beth August 22, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Cute post! And be glad you had a later to start to the school year. We’ve been back at it for 2.5 weeks…ugh! Way too early to start! I miss summer!

• Marley H. August 22, 2017 at 1:09 pm

What a fun summer you & your family had! This is getting me excited for your fall outfits & recipes! Bring. On. The. Pumpkins.

• Shelly August 22, 2017 at 2:18 pm

We love traveling at least once every summer with our besties and the JW is totally the best! Hope you guys have a great start to the school year AND fall!

Shelly|The Queen in Between

• Paula August 22, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Sounds like full hearts!

• DeLana Mullins August 22, 2017 at 9:26 pm

What a great summer!
    I have to tell you…I had a celebrity sighting today…it was you and your precious kids!!!
    I was walking into the Nordstrom’s in Frisco while you were walking out. (by the way what in the heck was going on in there with that remodel??)
    I had a double take moment and almost said something but I didn’t want to come across as some sort of creeper…I had flash backs of when I saw Nick Jonas in NYC and like a dork said “hey! you’re a Jonas brother!” Like he doesn’t already know that.
    So count yourself lucky that some weird woman didn’t yell at you “hey! you’re the Mix & Match Mama!!”
    You and your kiddos are just precious and I am such a fan…at a distance!

• Mix and Match Mama August 23, 2017 at 5:13 am

Ah! Really? Was everyone behaving??? 😉 I hope so!! If you ever see me again, please stop me and say hi!!!