Friday Favorites

It’s Friday!

Okay…as much as I would love to be all cheery and happy this morning, I must start with a confession.  Ready?  Here it is: we’ve had a hard week.  It’s really not a big deal, but at the same time, it’s been a big deal at our house this week.  You see, Kensington and Smith both had small procedures done last week.  Nothing huge…but little procedures.  Both of them.  At the same time.  And well…we apparently backslid post-procedure and thus, most of our mornings have been filled with tears.  They’re just over it.  I’m over it.  We’re all over it.  We thought we were doing great and then on Tuesday, we realized we weren’t doing well at all…and more tears…and you know…stuff like that.  So, we made it to Friday and I’m hopeful that next week will be a much better week over at our house.  I just hate sending my kiddos off to school sad/upset/frustrated/mad/in pain/etc and I’ve done that quite a few times this week.  Sigh.

Okay, let’s get on with today.  Grab yourself a coffee, get comfy and put your feet up because I have a SUPERSIZED edition of my Friday Favorites.  Today’s post is filled with a bunch of randomness that I loved this week (seriously, my list just kept growing and growing and growing!).  Sit back and enjoy!  It’s Friday, friends!

And, just like every Friday, today, I’m linking up with three of my besties, AndreaErika and Narci 🙂 .

Well, I had to start off my favorites with this one…

Madeley and Ashby started school this week!!  Madeley is attending two days a week and Ashby three.  And they LOVE it!!  Both girls had the best week, they love their teachers, they’ve made new friends and they’re exhausted too 🙂 .  The night of the first day, Madeley fell asleep eating dinner.  It’s hard work having so much fun in preschool!

I can’t get enough of these two.  I am just in awe that God made us all a family.  I can’t even imagine our lives without them in it.

They’re such sweet girls.  And…

…they’re both so silly too.  This really does sum them up 🙂 .

She was ready to go with her new backpack and lunchbox inside.

Ashby looks like she’s waiting for an officer to frisk her.  Ha!

I just know she’s going to rock Pre-K this year!!

Speaking of girls who rock…this one has been rocking third grade…

I told you guys that we had some major apprehension going into third grade, but so far, Kensington has really done a great job!  She just has this confidence this year that I haven’t seen before!!  I took this pic because I thought she looked so cute (she picks out her own outfits!) AND we have our shoe game going on strong this year!  Shoes are hit or miss for my family, but so far this year, the girls have found cute and comfy shoes and that my friends, is a mom win!

Aren’t these gold sneakers so cute?!?!  They’re PE approved while also being cute.  They come in silver too.

And then look…I love these little booties on her!!  Aren’t they cute?!  They come in four different colors.

The little girls have been wearing their pink or gold sparkly sneakers…that light up when you walk.  Hello?!  They’re obsessed!

Twinkle Toes for the win in preschool!

Who else is watching this…

…oh my word!  I CANNOT STOP!  I only have two more episodes left of season one and am already excited for next summer’s season two!  If you’re into shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, then this is for you.  It’s a Netflix original, so beware…it’s not family programming.  I have always loved me some Jason Bateman…and this only reinforced why.  I love a good series like this to binge watch!!

And look at this…

…my beautiful friend Lauren has created an online magazine about our town and it’s FANTASTIC!  This magazine is loaded with great info about our cute little town square and other things McKinney.  I’m so proud of this first edition and cannot wait to read upcoming ones!  If you are a local gal or looking to come visit us here in North Texas, then you must read it!

And speaking of my talented friends, look at my cute sign my girlfriend Amanda made me…

…I’ve told you guys about her before.  She has the cutest little Etsy store and makes so many fun things!

Because I wanted to enjoy flavored coffees this fall and holiday season, I brought my Keurig back out 🙂 .  The Nespresso is still out too (because Andrew doesn’t drink flavored coffees),  but I had missed my Keurig, so now, they’re both out.  This is my little coffee corner in the pantry and Amanda’s sign just completes it!

I’ve been wearing one of my favorite fall polishes lately…

…every September, I pull out Essie’s After School Boy Blazer.  It’s a deep navy and I love it!!

Dark polish is my jam this time of year.  And pssssst: that top is HERE.

Speaking of things that are my jam…I wore my new scarf this week…

Scarf//Top//Jeans//Flats

It was 55 degrees on Thursday morning, so I wore it to drop off kids at school and to the orthodontist…because you know, my adult life often resembles that of a teenager. Sigh.  Here are the other colors it comes in…

And speaking of scarves, look at these cute new ones that I paired with what I call my “every day look”…

SCARF//JEANS//TOP//EARRINGS//FLATS

SCARF//TOP//JEANS//EARRINGS//FLATS

This is the stuff I wear EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Give me all the basics…with all the plaid scarves on top 🙂 .

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cups

And wrap up your week with my Caramel Apple Cheesecake Cups.  They’re little bites of fall perfection.

That wraps up my Friday Favorites!  I’m praying each of you has a safe and happy weekend in September…but especially those of you in the path of this next hurricane.  May God be with each of you and your families over the next few days.  xo

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 8, 2017 at 4:47 am

You know that Madeley has had a fulfilling day when she falls asleep during dinner! How cute!

• Reply Beth September 8, 2017 at 5:08 am

Love your outfit choices! Cute! Cute!

• Reply Rachael September 8, 2017 at 5:14 am

I’m a mama of one beautiful girl who grew in my ❤️ not tummy therefore I especially love reading your blog updates about your kiddos. We love Ozark in our house, binge watching, only two episodes to go!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner September 8, 2017 at 5:29 am

Hoping your big kiddos recover fast and are back to their happy selves! Love the dessert idea! I’m going have to add that to my recipes to try

• Reply Lauren September 8, 2017 at 5:30 am

Thank you for having us as one of your favorites! We loved having YOU in our magazine!! xo

• Reply Erika Slaughter September 8, 2017 at 5:37 am

Girl!! That was a SUPERSIZE edition! So many things to comment on…1. I have no doubts next week will be better. You’re doing such a great job, Mama! 2. Madeley fell asleep at dinner? Aaaaaawwwww!!!! 3. And I’d like a pair of Kensington’s gold sneakers for myself!

• Reply Tracie September 8, 2017 at 8:06 am

You might fit those sneakers. A girl’s size 5 is a women’s 7. I was super excited to find 6Y Converse at back to school shopping. My daughter was not because it was the shoe she picked for her self, and she is so over having mom-daughter matching shoes.

• Reply Sheaffer Sims September 8, 2017 at 5:45 am

Madeley kills me in her first day picture, and I totally thought that Ashby looked like she was going to be frisked, and then you said it! Hahahahaha! The outfit with the striped tee and the plaid scarf is absolute perfection, and those caramel apple cheesecake cups look delish!

• Reply Aja September 8, 2017 at 5:47 am

Thank you for mentioning Irma. We are right in her path in Central FL. We’re boarded up, prayed up and just waiting. Hurricanes are a pat of life here, but the years we go without are of course much smoother. Praying for the best for all of us in her path.

• Reply Julia September 8, 2017 at 6:04 am

LOVE OZARK!! Love reading about your family and faith💞

• Reply Valerie C September 8, 2017 at 6:07 am

Hope Kensington and Smith have better weeks next week at school! Ashby looks so much older in her glasses, and Madeley is cute as always!

• Reply Michelle September 8, 2017 at 6:13 am

I may or may not have just went on a scarf shopping spree!

• Reply Kristina Briggeman September 8, 2017 at 6:20 am

Started Ozark yesterday – I’m 2 episodes in. So good. I love Jason Bateman!!

• Reply Alexis deZayas September 8, 2017 at 6:23 am

Madeley falling asleep at dinner after her first day of preschool has me smiling big this morning 🙂 Sending prayers for your big two for a better week!

• Reply Amanda September 8, 2017 at 6:24 am

So sorry that the first week of September hasn’t been great for all of your kids. Hope next week is super!
    I love dark polish in fall! My fave is OPI Liv’ in the grey — so pretty!

• Reply Vicki Leuck September 8, 2017 at 6:31 am

In your free time, HA! frame the picture of sweet Madely and Ashby together- sooo darn good of both of them!!!! Thanks for sharing. Now let’s see your fall decor!!! 🍂🍁🐿 Also make sure you read BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 6:53 am

I’ve read it!!! So, so, so good!!!

• Reply Narci September 8, 2017 at 6:34 am

First, Those back to school pictures are precious! Ashby and Madeley are just the sweetest girls! Also, Kensington’s shoe game is strong! 😍 Next, I’m definitely going to check out Ozark asap! You have had a hard week, friend! Praying next week is better!

• Reply Gentry September 8, 2017 at 6:36 am

Please keep sending your prayers to Fl! I am with my family in the path of the storm (we evacuated inland) but have no idea what damage its going to do or when I will end up going home to. Thank you!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 6:53 am

I am!! I’m so sorry.

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life September 8, 2017 at 6:42 am

Oh my gosh those pics of the littles on their first day, just precious!!! Love Kensingtons style too! I’m sorry it was a rough week, hoping next week is much better!!

• Reply sydnee September 8, 2017 at 6:49 am

Love the fall sign and SO happy to hear your kids are rocking school this year!

• Reply Julie September 8, 2017 at 6:49 am

Love your Friday favorites! Three questions. 1. The scarf with the chambray shirt is it itchy? 2. Are the arms in the loft shirt tight? And 3. Is the madewell shirt on the shorter side? Thanks! Happy friyay!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 6:52 am

NOTHING is itchy!!! The scarves are both so soft and so are the tops. So soft!! The arms of the Loft top is fitted for sure. And I sized up on the Madewell shirt and still wore one of those camis I love so much underneath. 🙂

• Reply Courtney September 8, 2017 at 6:50 am

I love that K picks out her outfits – they are adorable! And thanks for sharing your ‘everyday looks’, I love myself some good staples! 🙂
    XO
    Courtney

• Reply Erin Port September 8, 2017 at 6:53 am

Our week was short but tiring too so I am so happy to see Friday! I hope your weekend is refreshing!!!! I love your outfits, you always look darling! Xoxo Erin

• Reply Angelique at FourPointsMom.com September 8, 2017 at 7:11 am

We just started Ozark too! Jason Bateman is one of my favorite actors, so it was a no-brainer to try it out. I’m hooked! And I love those fall outfits. I’m ready to get in the fall mood myself! Now if the weather would cooperate …

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams September 8, 2017 at 7:13 am

Love that nail polish! I have on a dark navy right now it’s OPI Saulsilito. Kensington looks adorable in all her school outfits! I hope you all have a great weekend after this tough week!
    xo

• Reply KimW September 8, 2017 at 7:16 am

Love the outfits – did you find the arms of the striped loft tee to be tight?? There are only 2 reviews but they both said the arms are too tight?? thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 7:45 am

They are definitely snug…I didn’t find them uncomfortable or anything though!

• Reply Amanda Wilson September 8, 2017 at 7:35 am

I feel ya with the horrible feeling when kids go to school upset. One more day and you guys can regroup this weekend!

• Reply Patricia September 8, 2017 at 7:47 am

It looks like Ashby is using her arm and hand a little bit more. That’s an encouraging sign considering all the pain and surgeries she had to go through. I hope she’ll see even more improvement in the future.

• Reply Angela Ellingson September 8, 2017 at 7:49 am

Praying now for Kensington and Smith and hugs to you Mama. Not fun. I love that fall sign! And I’m excited to check out that magazine!

• Reply Alexandra C. September 8, 2017 at 7:54 am

Despite loving apples, since I live in the south I don’t really associate them with fall (lucky you, getting all the cider and apple autumn goodness in your time up north!) when I ordered a a sign like that from Etsy (no idea if it was from Amanda or not) I subbed Apples for Razorback Football and it was darling! A KState one would be cute for your peeps.

• Reply Natalie Clark September 8, 2017 at 8:04 am

Between this post and your instagram picture the other day, you have convinced me to go back and watch Ozark! My husband watched it the other night, and I fell asleep on the couch (surprise surprise), and he loved it. He keeps asking me to watch it, so we can watch the second one together, but I always default to Bravo while I’m folding laundry or nursing. Today, I’m turning on Ozark!!

• Reply Jenna September 8, 2017 at 8:05 am

What a great list of favorites today! I love After School Boy Blazer and Smokin’ Hot is also a fun grey color. I hope you have a great weekend with your family, and I hope next week everyone is feeling better. It is hard to send your kiddos off to school not feeling well and in tears.

• Reply Hillary September 8, 2017 at 8:13 am

I am wondering what your all-time favorite skinny jeans are?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 12:15 pm

J Crew’s toothpick!!!

• Reply Julie September 8, 2017 at 8:24 am

I’m so sorry it’s been a rough week for your adorable kids! Hope all gets better quickly. I also LOVE Fall and hope you’re doing a fall home tour this year. I look forward to that post. Enjoy the weekend!

• Reply Lynn September 8, 2017 at 8:57 am

Oh I just love this post!! Fall clothes just get me! Question for you, for the loft top did you get an xs or small? I’m trying to decide! Have a wonderful weekend!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 12:15 pm

xsmall. Happy Friday!

• Reply Sara September 8, 2017 at 9:01 am

Sorry to hear your big kids had a rough week. Hopefully next week will be better!

Are the Tory Burch flats comfortable and true to size? I have a pair of her wedges I wear to work a lot but I need a new pair of black flats.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Yes, yes and YES!! They are so comfy and I bought my normal size.

• Reply Rebecca Brittain September 8, 2017 at 9:06 am

I love the school pics of Madeley and Ashby. Kensington has great style! I hope both Kensington and Smith feel better soon. Its tough to be in pain and have to go to school. Your fall outfits make me yearn for cooler weather. I can’t wait to wear scarves again!

• Reply Christina September 8, 2017 at 9:09 am

The magazine cover looks like you! 🙂

• Reply Paige E September 8, 2017 at 9:21 am

I love how you made and extra big Friday Favorites at the end of a hard week! Count all the good things and focus on them!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick September 8, 2017 at 9:38 am

Ok first off, thanks for the shoutout on the sign! That is my favorite fall sign to do! Second, Ozark. I’m so glad you told me to watch that!!! I plan on watching at least another 3 episodes today while I work. It really is so good! Third, K’s whole style is absolutely adorable and I’m sure she’ll have her own little fashion blog one of these days! Those gold shoes are awesome. Happy Friday, friend!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply cassie {hi sugarplum} September 8, 2017 at 9:49 am

Prayers for a relaxing weekend, and a smoother week ahead!! xoxoxo

• Reply Corbie September 8, 2017 at 9:54 am

Girl. This week has been HARD here too. I read your first couple sentences and I just said- Yes, Amen, I feel you girl! Here’s to the weekend ahead- may it be a great one for us all!

• Reply Justine @ Charm City Ciemny's September 8, 2017 at 10:06 am

Your coffee corner is the cutest and makes waking up early, a lot easier I bet!!

Justine @ Charm City Ciemny’s

• Reply Jenny September 8, 2017 at 10:09 am

Ashby’s picture where she looks like she’s ready to be frisked, cracked me up! Your kiddos are at such fun ages! Have the best weekend!

• Reply Ella September 8, 2017 at 10:27 am

OK, I hope Kensington & Smith feel all better quick.
    I have a 10 year old sister and want to know where Kensington’s dress and cardigan are from.
    We just bought shoes for back to school so we don’t need those yet

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Her dress is from J Crew and I believe the cardi is from Gap!

• Reply Barbara Parnell September 8, 2017 at 10:28 am

Sorry the kids had to have procedures..hoping they are feeling much better soon. Kensington is really such a sweet girl..just beautiful..all of your kids are. You are blessed. Hoping they all have a great year at school. My four are all back to school, and it is great to have a bit of time to take care of the house and myself. Managed to do my yoga/weights a few times already! Woot! Woot!
    Enjoy your weekend.

• Reply Laci September 8, 2017 at 10:34 am

if it makes you feel any better I sent my daughter to school with strep! BIG MOM FAIL-had no idea!! Madeley’s school pics are just too much, what a ham!! Love it, have a good weekend!

• Reply Gabrielle Storey September 8, 2017 at 11:12 am

Praying for Kensington and Smith that everything ends up smooth. What cute girls with their backpacks! And Kensingtons outfits… oh my goodness I’d wear them! She is a doll! Happy Friday:)

• Reply Bethany September 8, 2017 at 11:15 am

I need Kensington to style me!

Love fall nails!

• Reply Liz Thorson September 8, 2017 at 11:24 am

Ashby is just so adorable with her glasses! The pictures of her with Madely are sooo fun and cute! I’m so happy the littles loved their days at school and that Kensington is rocking 3rd grade. I’m sorry to hear that she and Smith had a tough go this wk. following their procedures. I love your outfits and Fall sign!

• Reply Patty September 8, 2017 at 11:31 am

Sorry it was a tough week, but way to go on finding the silver linings. They’re always there! Prayers for brighter days ahead.

• Reply Danielle N Schrader September 8, 2017 at 11:52 am

I LOVE the scarves and would love to try that style but I can never get my scarf to look cute and stay in place – do you have a secret for getting them to stay nicely looped around your neck? My ends are always hanging out.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 8, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I use infinity scarves a lot! The yellow one and the first plaid one are both infinity style scarves. They naturally do the trick!

• Reply Kelly September 8, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I love how after you’ve had an admittedly hard week you still find joy and gratitude in your favorite things. Hope you all get a chance to regroup this weekend.

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World September 8, 2017 at 1:09 pm

So sorry that you guys had a rough week, Shay. It seems that everyone has! I know ours was rough and our weekend is even looking worse with impending Irma getting ready to blast us out of Georgia.

And Ozark, YES! Hubs and I started watching it a few weeks ago and we’re going to finish it up tonight! We only have one episode left. It’s so good and oh so strange! Haha.

I hope you guys have a great weekend!

• Reply Megan Butler September 8, 2017 at 2:49 pm

K has the best taste in clothes!

• Reply Nikki September 8, 2017 at 4:11 pm

TOTALLY hooked on Ozark and didn’t realize there was only one season. I was so bummed when I realized it was over … and now you’re telling me I have to wait until next summer?! Sigh!

• Reply heidi September 8, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Oh I hope the big kids are doing ok. It’s heart breaking to see them hurt, it doesn’t matter if it is physical or emotional it’s pulls at a mommas heart strings like nothing else.
    However, look at that smile on Madeley have you ever seen a kiddo so happy for school. . She’s a darling. And sweet Ashby , she is just a gem. Love your sweet sweet family

• Reply Pamela Kennedy September 8, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Praying that Kensington and Smith heal and feel better soon. You are such a strong Mama. God Bless .

• Reply Melissa @ Finding My Mojo September 10, 2017 at 5:59 am

I hope your kids are feeling better and that you all enjoyed some of your weekend! We love the Twinkle Toe shoes here too! ⭐️

• Reply Staci Hart September 10, 2017 at 9:03 am

Rough weeks are hard! I hope they are feeling better and tomorrow is the start of a better week. Adorable scarfs! Grabbing my cup of coffee and getting online to grab a couple. Also, I know you have mentioned it before, but where do you get the girls clothes? They are so cute!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 11, 2017 at 4:56 am

I get the little girls’ clothes at Matilda Jane 🙂 .

• Reply Jill September 10, 2017 at 9:52 am

We liked Ozark, too. I only wish they would have left out the vulgar words. I really do think it would have been just as good without it. Whoever thought up the story line is much more creative than I am. I could have never dreamed that in a million years! It was filmed in our county here in Georgia (Cherokee County) and I pass the Blue Cat lodge on the way to work every day. The body of water you see is actually Lake Alatoona…just an FYI 🙂

• Reply Crystal McDonald September 10, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Love all your favorites this week! Minus the big kids… hope they have a better week.. especially because it’s birthday week!!! My little man Rhett shares a birthday with Kensington, he will be 2! 🎉

Question: what size backpacks do Madeley and Ashly have? Are they the small PBK?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 11, 2017 at 4:56 am

• Reply SokolQie September 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

• Reply Michelle O September 11, 2017 at 4:57 pm

OZARK IS AWESOME!!! Can’t wait for next season! I love ALL the scarves. I am a scarf junkie! Hope all the kiddos finished up the week wonderfully!

• Reply Katie Godwin September 12, 2017 at 8:48 am

Umm I need sweet Kensington to pick out my outfits, girl’s got some serious style- so precious! 🙂

• Reply Bianca Kendell September 15, 2017 at 10:07 am

They look so happy. You make your children smile. They are very beautiful and very stylish.

Bianca | mastergrades.com