Three Bean Chili {in the slow cooker}

I only have one post for you today, friends.  If you missed Madeley’s One Year Gotcha Day Post from yesterday, you can see it HERE.  After I wrote it, I was emotionally TIRED.  I cried several times thinking back to this past year, so I decided just to share a recipe today.  Thank you all so much for your outpouring of love on our family yesterday.  We feel your love.  We really do.  It has meant so much to us to have you cheer us on, support us, and pray for us during this process.  THANK YOU!  If you have time and want to re-read the post where we first met Madeley, you can do that HERE.

Don’t forget, tomorrow is Workin’ It Wednesday and our topic is how we transition our wardrobe from summer to fall.  If you blog, make sure you post and link up in the morning!

Three Bean Chili

So, today’s recipe is in honor of my newest book (which comes out soon!)…it’s a slow cooker recipe!  Simmers, my new book, is dedicated to all things slow cooker (from appetizers to entrees and even desserts too) because I don’t know about you…but for me, the slow cooker is my saving grace most weeks.  I feel like some sort of super hero when we walk in the door after a busy day of school, sports, speech and whatnot only to find dinner bubbling away waiting for us to enjoy.  It’s such a blessing on busy days!  Today’s recipe is not in my book, just another one of my favorite slow cooker creations…a Three Bean Chili.  Because I don’t know about your family, but my family can’t get enough chili this time of year.  It’s always a winner for supper!  Brown up your ground beef, throw everything in the slow cooker while you’re sipping your morning coffee and BAM.  Dinner is done that night!  Fantastic!  Enjoy friends!!

This recipe serves four.

Shopping List
1 pound of ground beef
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (15 oz) can of Ranch style beans DO NOT DRAIN
1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
about one cup of chicken stock
3 tablespoons chili powder
Shredded pepper jack (cheddar) to garnish
Sour cream to garnish

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown your ground beef in a drizzle of EVOO.  Once browned and crumbly, add in a big pinch of both salt and pepper.  Remove the meat and place it in your slow cooker followed by your chopped onion, beans, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, stock and chili powder.  Cover and cook on low 6 to 9 hours or on high 3 hours.  When you’re ready to serve, ladle your chili into bowls and garnish with a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.

That’s it!  Everything simmers together all day in the slow cooker and then dinner is ready and waiting for you at the end of the day.  All you have to do is garnish and you’re done!

Now, don’t forget, if you want to pre-order a copy of Simmers, you can do it HERE.

Enjoy your chili, friends!

• Reply Narci September 12, 2017 at 5:04 am

Oh yum! This three bean chili sounds amazing!

• Reply Erika Slaughter September 12, 2017 at 5:21 am

Yes, I too, am a superhero when I have dinner in my slow cooker! This recipe looks delicious and so easy!

• Reply jamie September 12, 2017 at 5:45 am

good morning, beautiful! loved yesterday’s post. it had me tearing up with joy and happiness. i know you celebrated well! i am so excited to receive {simmers} on my doorstep! i wanted to confirm that i ordered it so i headed over to amazon and {golly gosh} i ordered it on january 1st and remembered thinking the release date for {simmers} was so far away. and here we are! have a beautiful day of peaceful emotional rest! i love and adore your sweet family so much! and OH MAN are you loving your new pastor???!!!! i follow him/your church on instagram. what a great place to worship!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims September 12, 2017 at 5:55 am

Well, this looks absolutely delicious!!!!!!!

• Reply Amanda September 12, 2017 at 5:57 am

I wish they sold ranch beans here! Sounds yummy!

• Reply jamie September 12, 2017 at 6:06 am

yes! what are ranch beans?

• Reply Laura September 12, 2017 at 6:01 am

You have posted a lot of emotional, vulnerable things, but your post yesterday was one of the only ones that made *me* cry. Please give Madeley lots of extra hugs today on behalf of all your readers!!

Can’t wait to try this chili! “Simmers” is on my Christmas wish list!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner September 12, 2017 at 6:47 am

This looks delicious! I can’t wait for more recipes from Simmers! Yum!

• Reply Alexis deZayas September 12, 2017 at 8:07 am

Totally trying this soon! Sounds perfect for fall and winter!

• Reply Brinkley Brown September 12, 2017 at 8:22 am

Already got my copy of simmers through QVC and I LOVE it! So excited to start trying some of the recipes!!

• Reply Angela Ellingson September 12, 2017 at 8:35 am

Yum! So excited about your new cookbook!

• Reply Angelique at FourPointsMom.com September 12, 2017 at 9:03 am

I love slow cooker recipes because they let me get away with a tiny bit of laziness in the kitchen … 🙂 I can’t wait to check out Simmers too!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick September 12, 2017 at 9:10 am

I wish I could get Matthew to eat chili since he loves Ranchy style beans… 😉 For anyone who doesn’t have ranch style beans, chili beans are super similar. We love ranch style beans on our tacos and when we lived in Green Bay and Buffalo, we couldn’t find them anywhere!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Terri September 12, 2017 at 11:02 am

You touch so many lives, just by being you. It’s a beautiful thing when we allow God to help us be raw, real individuals for others to see, and you model this everyday. I couldn’t be more thankful. We have teenage boys now but you inspire me on a daily basis to be who God made ME and to love on my family no matter what stage we’re in. Thank you Shay! You are allowing God to use you to enrich others. Well done.

• Reply Sandy Manning September 12, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Do you ever use beef stock in chili instead of chicken? I wonder if it would add a depth of flavor. What do you think or is there a reason chicken would be preferred?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 12, 2017 at 2:25 pm

I like the flavor of chicken stock in soups, stews and chilis and beef stock for meats (like briskets and roasts), but you most certainly could sub!

• Reply Marie September 12, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Hello what slow cooker do you have? Thanks !

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 12, 2017 at 2:25 pm

My favorite one is an All Clad from Williams-Sonoma…but I also have an inexpensive one from Target that I use all the time and it’s 14 years old!

• Reply Carole September 12, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Have you given any consideration to purchasing the Instant Pot and if so, will you be creating recipes?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 12, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I have considered it…but I’m still kind of on the fence about it.

• Reply Crystal September 12, 2017 at 1:46 pm

I have been craving chili since the weather has been cooler the last several days. Ranch beans sound so good, will have to try this recipe for sure.

• Reply sherri September 12, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I just love reading your posts!!! they soooo encourage me to be the momma I want to be – I LOVE the love you have for each one of your beautiful kiddos – your hubby and the Lord!!!! I just love your sweet(but real) spirit <3

• Reply sherri September 12, 2017 at 3:35 pm

p.s. I have your chilli recipe in my crock pot RIGHT NOW!!!! went right out and bought all the fixins’ … cant wait for DINNER!!! plus can’t wait to get your new cookbook!!!

• Reply Sharol Byrnes September 12, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Do you brown the beef in olive oil for a specific reason in this recipe? I’ve never seen that done and I’m wondering if I can just brown it how I normally would.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 13, 2017 at 4:57 am

I always brown up my ground beef in olive oil because it adds a depth of flavor and browns it really nicely.

• Reply Amy September 12, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Love you, Shay! Even though unknown and from afar, you and your sweet and lovely family (and group of friends) provide a special peace, hope, and optimism to my life.
    Not everyone has a life as wonderful as yours so I/we celebrate that special life–
    like we wish we had- through you- because you are so generous to share- and that gives those of us whom don’t have your happy a little bit of happy. ❤️
    Really thankful to have found your blog these past few years and look forward to your daily posts and recipes.
    Untold thanks- ❤️

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog September 12, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I’ve been loving all things chilli lately, especially after going to Korea. Can’t wait to try this for fall!

• Reply Christie Asmussen September 18, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I saw this and knew I needed to make it right away. It came out way, way better than I even imagined. Great flavor, so easy!!! ❤️ your recipes. Thank you for a delicious, easy, dinner idea. — Christie

• Reply Deb White September 19, 2017 at 12:49 pm

We had one heck of a time looking for ranch style beans until we realized those aren’t sold here. Any suggestion on a replacement for those in areas where ranch style beans aren’t in the grocery stores?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama September 20, 2017 at 5:02 am

You can sub with a pinto bean in this recipe!

• Reply Paula September 25, 2017 at 10:38 am

This 3 bean chili recipe was a hit – hosted a ‘Welcome Fall’ dinner on Friday and everyone raved about it! Thanks for the variety of slow cooker recipes this time of year. I have so many to try 🙂 Thank you!