Oktoberfest 2017

Over the weekend, we did one of our very favorite things…we went to Oktoberfest!

My family loves any sort of festival…so Oktoberfest is always a huge hit each fall.  My kids look forward to this every year and it never disappoints!

We always head to two each year: the one in our town and the one in my parents’ town.  This past weekend, we went to Oktoberfest in Southlake (where my parents live) and had a BLAST.  Here are some pics to prove it 🙂 .  Happy Tuesday!

We showed up at 2:00 ready to see all the action!

This face just made me laugh!

Root beer and kettle corn are a must for us at Oktoberfest.

Ah!  I love Oktoberfest-ing with this girl.  She makes everything a little more fun!

My family was all there…including my mama and sweet Samuel!

Papa Jay’s wardrobe is my favorite.

This kid ate her weight in kettle corn!

Walking behind my mom and grandmother holding two of my girls’ hands.  I do not take for granted the fact that I have grandparents and parents who love my kiddos so much and are physically able to do this stuff with them.

Ashby loves her some Papaw!  Those two have such a sweet relationship!

Oktoberfest-ing with my sister-in-law!  We had fun chasing after kiddos and periodically hopping into shops together.

Madeley was so proud of her sparkly heart!  This was the first time she has had something painted on her 🙂 .  We said next year, we’ll paint something on Samuel too 🙂 .

This one picked a cupcake…

…and this one, a flower to match her dress 🙂 .

Everyone trying to show off their art at the same time.  Ha!  All of their faces are cracking me up!

We stopped early and ate a bite at Cheesecake Factory before going back outside to the festivities.  Our one big group pic!

And then it was back outside for more fun!

I love my people.  I also love this town.  After McKinney, Southlake, TX is my very favorite.  It feels like home here too 🙂 .

We stopped at the crepe stand for s’mores crepes!  Ashby looks a wee bit perplexed here.  Ha!

Fall is my favorite time with this guy.  We sat on the curb and just watched out kiddos and the people mill around Oktoberfest.  Live music, loads of people dressed in costume…all sorts of fall fun!

That stinker 🙂 .

This is Ashby’s “can we please ride the rides?” face.  It worked.

Can you spot my big three on the ship?

All of their faces are spot on!  Kensington looks dramatic and ready to get off, Smith looks crazy silly and Ashby looks bored.  Ha!  All so them!

I looked over and they were contemplating going inside the croc’s mouth.  K even had her hand on Smith’s back.  Those two crack me up!

They decided to risk it and enter the croc.

Ashby is pretty limited when it comes to inflatables.  She can’t bounce with other people around, and she can’t go down slides either.  Her arm is so fragile.  I can’t even begin to describe to you how fragile it is.  So, she did this obstacle course a million times instead.  The first time, she wanted Smith to go with her.  Look how sweet he is waiting for her to come through 🙂 .

All smiles as she goes through!  She is such a sweet girl!  She understands her limitations and why they are that way…and she ALWAYS makes the best of it!

We played on these inflatables for the longest time.  None of us wanted to leave that night because it was so much fun!  We just love, love, love that community feeling events like this bring.

Happy Oktoberfest from the Shulls 🙂 .

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 10, 2017 at 4:38 am

Oktoberfest where you live looks so fun and exciting, the kids look so happy! I wish the celebrations were half as great here.

• Reply Karen October 10, 2017 at 8:53 am

Love the pics…and your top. Do you mind if I ask where you found it? THANKS!

• Reply Alexis deZayas October 10, 2017 at 5:02 am

So much fun!! I went to a butterfly festival in Southlake a couple of weeks ago and it was the cutest little town 🙂

• Reply Nicole October 10, 2017 at 5:29 am

So much fun!! Is Madeley still taking naps?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 10:55 am

Yes! She sure does!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner October 10, 2017 at 5:30 am

So fun! I always look forward to your Oktoberfest posts! It’s so sweet that you can enjoy it with your whole family!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims October 10, 2017 at 5:31 am

The Shull kids are MASTERS of Oktoberfest! Looks like y’all had a great time!

• Reply Melissa@ Finding My Mojo October 10, 2017 at 5:34 am

Looks like such a fun festival! Especially loved the sparkly face paint, how did you stop yourself from getting one too? 😉

• Reply Sarah October 10, 2017 at 5:36 am

How fun!! We also went to The Cheesecake Factory over the weekend 🙂 That’s always been one of my favorite restaurants, haha.

-Sarah http://www.thefrugalmillionaireblog.com

• Reply Erika Slaughter October 10, 2017 at 5:54 am

You Oktoberfested HARD, but it looks like a blast! Is it weird that I kept thinking-I’m so glad they had all this shade! Hahah! Texas falls are so darn hot!

• Reply Ursula October 10, 2017 at 6:05 am

Looks amazing! We don’t have many fun fall festivals in PA, so with these posts, I’m living vicariously through you 🙂

• Reply Bethany October 10, 2017 at 6:12 am

This looks like so much fun! Bouncy castles are the best too!

• Reply Narci October 10, 2017 at 6:12 am

So many cute pictures of your family!! That Oktoberfest looks like so much fun!!!

• Reply Amanda October 10, 2017 at 6:31 am

What a great time you all had! Your posts make me wish I lived in Texas!

• Reply sydnee October 10, 2017 at 6:34 am

So much fun! Just curious, does Sean and Catherine get noticed a lot, considering they’re local celebrities or do people leave them alone?

Design by Sydnee | A Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 10:54 am

They do :).

• Reply Nikki Lehman October 10, 2017 at 6:39 am

Love all the fun celebrations you guys have in your towns. Makes me want to move to Texas!

• Reply Angela Ellingson October 10, 2017 at 7:04 am

So much fun!! Love these traditions!

• Reply Cara October 10, 2017 at 7:41 am

Wish we lived somewhere like this! Looks like so much fun!! Ashby’s arm is looking awesome 🙏 So happy for y’all!! ❤️

• Reply Angelique at FourPointsMom.com October 10, 2017 at 7:56 am

I love Southlake too! I grew up next door in Keller and Southlake Town Square is where we hung out on the weekends. I even had my first job at a children’s boutique there. Lol. I don’t know if we have any Oktoberfests here in Austin, but the joy on all of your faces will have me researching the topic right now!

• Reply Laurie S October 10, 2017 at 8:01 am

Looks like a wonderful time. Can Kensington eat popcorn/kettle corn with her braces? My dr told me not to with my braces. I thought Madeley didn’t like sweets but I see her eating the kettle corn. Ashly’s arm is looking really good. Hope its feeling better.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 10:54 am

Kensington can not eat popcorn. Boo. And Madeley who is not our sweets eater, did love her some kettle corn!

• Reply Desiree | Beautifully Seaside October 10, 2017 at 8:07 am

Loved your pictures! That Octoberfest looks like so much fun! Ashby looks like a big girl now with her cute glasses! I’ll be praying for her arm! Oh sweet Jesus! We pray for a creative miracle in her arm! You can go where doctors can’t Jesus and we trust in you for healing in her arm! By your precious blood Jesus! Amen!

• Reply Melanie C October 10, 2017 at 8:19 am

Ashby’s hand looks amazing! What great improvement, this makes me so happy 🙂

• Reply Caroline Burke October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am

Have you done an Oktoberfest type menu? We don’t have any local festivals and although Germany is one our travel list in the next few years I’d like to surprise my hubby with a weekend of an at home Oktoberfest. Any ideas before I search Pinterest? Btw I just got home from the beach and Summers was waiting in my mail box. I can’t wait til Friday when I meal prep for next week!!!

• Reply Marsha J Baker October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am

What great family fun…and an awesome post too! I am smitten with your sweet family and just love seeing your activities together. It really is very special you get to have several generations together at once. WOW! Keep on keeping on…you are all such darlings.

• Reply Tasha October 10, 2017 at 8:42 am

Hi Shay – this past weekend, my daughter and I watched the World Gymnastics Championships in Montreal. USA’s Morgan Hurd won the women’s all around competition. When we were reading about her after, we learned that she’d been adopted from China as a toddler. What a life changing miracle! It made me think of you and your girls, and I just wanted to tell you. Wishing you and your family all the best.

• Reply Molly Bierens October 10, 2017 at 8:46 am

Looks like everyone had a great time. I love the relationship your family has, you are very blessed!!

• Reply Tracy Matlock October 10, 2017 at 8:52 am

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our Oktoberfest!! I am so glad you and your family enjoyed it!!

• Reply Teresa Flahaut October 10, 2017 at 8:57 am

We just missed you guys! Fun Oktoberfest for sure!

• Reply Jenny Jo October 10, 2017 at 9:00 am

The picture of the family at the Cheesecake Factory, Catherine with her head flat on the table cracks me up. Gotta do what you gotta do to fit everyone in the photo though, right!? You guys are such a great family.

• Reply Kacy October 10, 2017 at 9:43 am

In one of the pictures I see some people looking toward where Sean and Catherine are. I always wonder if they get stopped a lot?? Do people still recognize them and ask for autographs or pictures?

I love your sweet family! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 10:52 am

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick October 10, 2017 at 9:43 am

Looks like so much fun!! Ashby with your grandfather is just the cutest!! Happy Tuesday!!

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Kelly Bonner October 10, 2017 at 10:01 am

It looks like y’all had fun! Sean is my favorite bachelor & I’m just curious if he or Catherine get stopped constantly at these things & get asked for pictures, or are people used to seeing him around yalls area & generally leave them alone? I have to admit I’d probably want to ask him for a picture since he is my favorite bachelor, but can understand wanting to enjoy a day with family too.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 10:52 am

People stop them, and they always handle it so graciously 🙂 .

• Reply Kelly October 10, 2017 at 10:07 am

Kensington’s Braces are so stinking cute!! I feel like they start braces so early now. I didn’t get mine til 8th grade which already awkward.

• Reply Alison T October 10, 2017 at 10:18 am

I envy your Oktoberfest celebrations. 🙂 They look like soooo much fun!

• Reply Tamra October 10, 2017 at 10:19 am

Looks like so much fun! I love how your whole family gets together to enjoy fun things like this!

• Reply Shelly October 10, 2017 at 10:47 am

Looks like so much fun was had by all!

• Reply Kfran October 10, 2017 at 10:56 am

I love a good festival! It’s still so hot and sweaty though and that can suck the fun out of it a little bit. Bring on the cooler temps!

• Reply Patty Anderson October 10, 2017 at 11:50 am

I’m glad you don’t take for granted having grandparents around for the kiddos! In such a transient society, it’s a treasure to have them close by. Your kids will have such amazing memories of time spent with them.

• Reply Mary Woods October 10, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Hi! Are your earrings the Copper Nickel and Suede? I love there earrings so light. Thank you!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 12:59 pm

They are!!! I’m obsessed with them!

• Reply Mary Woods October 10, 2017 at 6:27 pm

What size did you get?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 5:00 am

SMALL 🙂

• Reply Myka October 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Madely is so adorable! Wish we had Octoberfest over here! Great pics!

• Reply Morgan October 10, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I need this lipstick in my life! What is it?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I think it’s Bobbi Brown’s Plum Rose!

• Reply Jaimie October 10, 2017 at 4:33 pm

You are all so adorable! Another great Oktoberfest in the books!! Xx

• Reply Jen October 10, 2017 at 4:50 pm

No German food??!! I guess Cheesecake Factory is pretty hard to pass by! 😉 I’ve noticed from past post that you guys really enjoy going there. Do you have a favorite meal you could recommend?? Or cheesecake flavor?? Your kids look like they had a great time!! I wish my area had an Oktoberfest like this!

• Reply Victoria October 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm

I have been following your blog since I met your your sweet family back in 2012. It happened to be at the Cheesecake Factory in Southlake… a family favorite of ours as well 🙂

I couldn’t help but notice that sweet Ashby is representing the TCU horned frogs in one of the pictures. That made this TCU grad smile. In honor of the game in Manhattan this weekend, GO FROGS!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 11, 2017 at 5:00 am

Oh goodness! I don’t think she was!! We’re Wildcats around here 🙂 .

• Reply Chuck Schick October 10, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Where’s all the beer!! Can’t have Rocktoberfest without it! Lol

• Reply Kacy October 10, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Love how Kensington’s face paint matches her earrings! Too cute!

• Reply Erica @ Whimsical September October 10, 2017 at 8:26 pm

This was so fun to read! I love reading everyday life posts like this. 🙂

• Reply Erin Port October 11, 2017 at 5:11 pm

What a fun whole family visit :). We don’t have one around here! xoxo ERIN

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life October 12, 2017 at 6:26 am

What a fun time!

• Reply Andra October 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Do Kensington and Smith wear activity trackers? If so, which brand do they have? My kids want to get one but I don’t know which ones are good for kids.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 17, 2017 at 4:51 am

24/7! They were the Garmin’s for kids and love them!!