Pics, Pics, Pics

Edited Sunday night:  I wrote this post on Friday and had it scheduled for today, but tonight as I watch the news, I am just so heartbroken and burdened.  It feels like not a day goes by that there isn’t some horrific event unfolding right there on the TV.  I feel like my prayer list keeps getting longer and longer every single day.  My heart is heavy right now, friends.  I’m praying for you right now.  You who read this blog.  I’m praying that the peace of the Lord is with you today and whatever it is you’re going through.  I’m also praying for the victims and their families from yesterday’s shooting.  I can’t even imagine their grief.  May God be with them today too.  xo

Happy Monday, friends!  I have such a random assortment of pics for today…

Bundled up and ready to watch Smith play his last football game of the fall!

The cheering section 🙂 .  It was 34 degrees at kickoff, so we huddled in our chairs and kept warm by cheering loudly from the sidelines.

I bought my dad this hat last Christmas.  When my parents walked up, my mom was like “thanks for buying him that hat”.  Hahahahaha!  It was MADE for him!

Someone asked me if Madeley was affectionate with Samuel unprompted and the answer is YES!  If you know Madeley, you know that she’s super maternal with kiddos younger than her.  She loves “taking care of” and loving on Samuel and Britt.  It was so sweet of my whole family to get up early and come sit and the cold to watch Smith’s last game.

Later that night, we got sitters with the Slaughters for the little four and took the big four to dinner and a haunted house.  Here we are moments before we went inside.

And here we are when it was over.  Both Nixon and Smith lost a tooth inside the haunted house?!  What the heck????  It’s like their teeth were so frightened they jumped out of their mouths!  Isn’t that funny?  We had the BEST time inside!  It was just the right amount of fun and scary (never scary enough to upset anyone).  This will have to be a new framily tradition!

Oh hey there two big bobcats hanging out in my backyard.  Please go away.  (Insert BIG eyes HERE!)  They were looking for lunch…otherwise known as Poppy and/or Frenchie.

The Sunday night before Halloween, we always go up to our country club’s Halloween party.  It’s always such a fun night of family fun!

Can I just say that I think bobbing for apples is gross?  Right?  All I see are germs in that water…

My cute little pumpkin.

Um, they had a realllly good person doing face paintings there.  I was seriously impressed with this one’s artwork!

One big group pic before we left!

Last Monday, our kids didn’t have school, so I asked the big two what they wanted to do on their day off…and they said go to the zoo.  Now, I want to be totally honest here…I did not really want to go.  The zoo is about an hour away (with traffic) and being that it was a Monday, I typically have a ton of work to do and that would have wiped out my whole day…BUT we went.  And do you know what?  IT WAS OUR BEST ZOO TRIP EVER!  Thank you Jesus that I didn’t put myself first because I would have totally missed out on the blessings from that day.

First of all, the zoo opens at 9:00, but when we got there at 9:45, there wasn’t a car in the parking lot.  Not one.  As we parked in the closest spot to the entrance, I told my kids that maybe it was closed, but that we’d walk up and ask.  When we hit the entrance, I asked and they were like “nope, it’s just not busy”.  Second of all, it was chilly at the zoo that day (like 50) and not blazing hot (the typical temperature when we visit the zoo), so that was extra delightful.  Plus, when we walked in, they were selling pumpkin spice coffee.  Seriously, it was like the Lord threw that one in just to be nice to me 😉 .  The whole zoo was decorated for Halloween (which was the next day), we had the place to ourselves and the weather was crisp and gorgeous.  It was PERFECTION!

My kids were pumped when the tiger saw them and stood up to come check them out.  See him back there?  They were so excited about this 🙂 .

My four babies in a jeep!

She was all smiles all day long!

#hairgoals

This was taken right after we fed the giraffes.  See how no one is around? Ha!  We had all of the giraffes to ourselves!

Because…why not?

I love their little laughs.

And we ended our day by spinning around in circles on the carousel.  I was seriously so nauseous for about 15 minutes after this, but it was worth it.  My kids are still talking about it 🙂 .  It was just the best day with my kids.  I hope I never forget it.

Morning snuggles with our little French fry.

And yes, she’s wearing an American Girl skirt because…she’s being raised by three little girls.

My big two headed to school on Halloween 🙂 .

Both Ashby and Madeley had parties at their school on Halloween too.  Ashby got to wear a costume…

…and it was pajama day in Madeley’s class 🙂 .

So, there are some pics for your Monday.  xo

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog November 6, 2017 at 4:38 am

How lucky you got a nice, unbusy day at the zoo! How rare!
    The kids look super cute dressed for Halloween at school! 🙂

• Reply Erika Slaughter November 6, 2017 at 4:42 am

Those four in the Jeep-eek-that will be happening for real before we know it! And the haunted house was so much fun!

• Reply Natalie Juns November 6, 2017 at 4:56 am

Thank you for praying Shay and always sending encouragement! I feel really upset about the tragedy yesterday. It’s so hard to think about! Thank you for praying for peace. Love your blog!

• Reply Kristine November 6, 2017 at 5:06 am

Umm ya the bobcats in the backyard YIKES!!!

• Reply Debbie Hibbert November 6, 2017 at 5:13 am

The terrible tragedies that keep happening … I’m so thankful for a Saviour who is with us through it all. AND, thank you Shay, for a post that brought smiles in another heartbreaking day.

• Reply Dustie Day November 6, 2017 at 5:33 am

Oh bobbing for apples….I’m with you there! We attended a fall birthday party and they luckily did it one apple at a time, so I️ made sure my boy was first in line, aka clean water. lol, so pathetic but it creeps me out!

• Reply Bethany November 6, 2017 at 5:34 am

Yes! This world needs so many prayers right now! Plus more of those sweet toddler kisses!

• Reply Narci November 6, 2017 at 5:34 am

What a perfect zoo day! That picture of your with all four of your babies is one of my favorites ever!! Love it, friend!

• Reply Alexis deZayas November 6, 2017 at 5:38 am

That pic of you and your four at the zoo is precious!! What a sweet post!

• Reply Sherri November 6, 2017 at 5:40 am

Your babies are just the cutest. Random, What shoes were you wearing at the zoo? They look comfy!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 6, 2017 at 5:53 am

Sketchers Go Walks 🙂

• Reply Tish Ferry November 6, 2017 at 5:48 am

Love the comment about not putting yourself first or you would have missed the blessings of the day. This is so true and a great reminder I needed to hear! Praying with you for the victims and families. My heart is broken for them. Have a great Monday!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt November 6, 2017 at 5:57 am

Love the pictures from Halloween and the zoo!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Megan November 6, 2017 at 6:04 am

I had a very similar experience last week when Quinn asked yo have a girls day at the zoo. I absolutely did not want to go but said yes any way. The cool weather ended up being perfect and all of the animals were super active. I’m glad we both decided to say yes!

• Reply Erica @ Whimsical September November 6, 2017 at 6:17 am

I smiled when you talked about how you really didn’t want to go to the zoo but ended up loving it. I think SO many moms can relate to that! Sometimes doing “kid stuff” just doesn’t sound fun or you just reallyyyy need to get stuff done, but I know personally that I never regret getting out and doing fun stuff with my kids. They always say that the hardest step is the one you take out the door. 🙂

• Reply Kristi Knowles November 6, 2017 at 6:27 am

Right there with you on bobbing for apples. Ick. What a dreamy trip to the zoo. That sounds amazing!

• Reply Dana Carter November 6, 2017 at 6:32 am

This Georgia girl is freaking out about the bobcats. Um…they look huuuuge. It’s like Africa, not Texas. I would rather bob for apples…and I’m a germ-a-phobe.

• Reply sydnee November 6, 2017 at 6:33 am

Another Halloween for the books! Looks like the kids had a great time! I love seeing their smiling, happy faces.

Design by Sydnee | A Lifestyle Blog 💗

• Reply Marisa Tompkins November 6, 2017 at 6:33 am

Cute black jacket you wore to the zoo! Where’s it from?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 6, 2017 at 7:07 am

It’s actually an olive green and it’s from J Crew!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims November 6, 2017 at 6:36 am

Y’all have been having so much fun lately! Great pics of a precious family!

• Reply Angela Ellingson November 6, 2017 at 6:38 am

I can’t get over the bobcats! Ahh! Such a lovely day at the zoo!! And praying right now for all those affected by the shooting.

• Reply Christina November 6, 2017 at 6:38 am

It’s amazing how God rewards a Parent for those selfless acts, like giving up a precious Monday.

Love all these photos. Laughing about your mom’s hat comment.

Can’t get over those bobcats in your yard. Yikes!!!! Do you guys do some kind of bobcat-safety training with your kiddos? Are they, er, mean? Have you heard stories from neighbors about what they’ve done?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 6, 2017 at 7:06 am

Smith was the one who saw them. He was playing in the backyard and they were watching him. We’ve had neighbors report that they’ve killed small dogs.

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design November 6, 2017 at 7:12 am

I can’t believe they both lost teeth in the haunted house! Such a funny story!

LauraLikesDesign.com/blog

• Reply Laura November 6, 2017 at 7:17 am

Aww, what a great zoo day! You’re encouraging me to branch out and do more fun things with my kids that I may not be in the mood for. 😅 Hope you have a great day!

• Reply Natalie November 6, 2017 at 7:21 am

Those bobcats are huge!!! I thought they were bears a first!

• Reply Brooke Richardson November 6, 2017 at 7:42 am

What a fun day at the zoo! I did the same thing with my 4 not a long ago and we had a blast too.

• Reply Emily Burke November 6, 2017 at 7:57 am

Reading your blog makes me happy amidst all of the sadness in the world. You are so blessed. I just CANNOT deal with Madeley’s smile… I cant imagine how many times a day her sweet cheeks get smooched on! Have a great Monday Shay, and thank you for leaving a little light into all of your readers lives!

• Reply Leah Crouse November 6, 2017 at 8:03 am

Those bobcats!! I would have been terrified! They look like they should be at the zoo. 😳

• Reply Madi November 6, 2017 at 8:04 am

I’m a Christian and believe in the power of prayer, but as the Bible says “Faith without works is dead.” These people were literally in church praying when the tragedy occurred. Prayer is not enough! We need to take action!!

• Reply Laci November 6, 2017 at 8:10 am

That last picture of Madeley in Halloween jammies and pigtails??!?!?!?! I mean-HOW CUTE can one be!!! Bobcats-oh my word that would have scared me to death!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick November 6, 2017 at 8:11 am

Oh my gosh, those bobcats worry me with your pups!! We’ve got them all over our neighborhood too. I saw one just trotting down the middle of the street the other day like a lost dog. And yes, on bobbing for apples! So gross!! That Inspired Chick

• Reply Julie November 6, 2017 at 8:15 am

Shay, every time I see sweet Madeley smiling, I think how wonderful it is that you changed her life (and your own!). To imagine she was one of many in an orphanage just a short time ago, and now she has a loving family with so many fun traditions. I just have to tell you how amazing it is that you gave Ashby and Madeley such a loving home. All your children are adorable and I’m glad you got to the zoo with them even though it wasn’t the most convenient. I promise you, you will never forget that day!

• Reply Sandra Reynolds November 6, 2017 at 8:18 am

I’m always surprised to see you and the kiddos bundled up with hats and parkas as I think of Texas as a warm sunny state. Would love for you to do a blog on your weather. Also surprised at the bobcats in your yard … wow! Is this a common occurrence? We have them in Canada but they are so elusive. So interesting!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 6, 2017 at 12:17 pm

The weather swings crazy here. It’s either blazing hot or freezing cold. It also changes on a dime.

• Reply Myka November 6, 2017 at 8:24 am

My heart is very heavy, Shay! Senseless tragedies after tragedies starts to make people feel numb. I’ve been very prayerful lately, and grateful for the time I do have to spent with my little family. Beautiful pics!
    Myka

• Reply Jenny November 6, 2017 at 8:30 am

I know, yesterday was just heartbreaking. I am praying too. You’re right, it seems like it happens more and more often. I think that’s why it’s so important to keep family close and keep making special memories with our kids. You do a great job of that!

• Reply Heidi November 6, 2017 at 8:35 am

What a fun fun day !!!

• Reply Lois November 6, 2017 at 8:44 am

Are you permitted to shoot or otherwise kill bobcats in your yard? I’d be quite bothered because of your children.

• Reply kellie carrara November 6, 2017 at 8:45 am

The kids are precious! What a fun zoo trip!
    The bobcats are scary! Keep those furry babies inside!
    And I don’t know what to ask for in my prayers other than peach and love.

• Reply B.Y.S. November 6, 2017 at 8:45 am

We have Bobcats here in Ohio too but haven’t seen them but have heard them though really close to our house.

Amy

• Reply Melanie November 6, 2017 at 8:55 am

Enjoy your blog so very much. Great photos!

• Reply Brittany Hensley November 6, 2017 at 8:56 am

I can’t with those bobcats! Oh em goodness! Hopefully they will move on & not come back!!

• Reply Angelique Dale November 6, 2017 at 8:59 am

Bobcats! Yikes! We have coyotes who are always looking for their lunch, our cats. Eek. What a fun day at the zoo! I’ve never been when there weren’t tons of other people. I bet you all had a blast!

• Reply shawnna November 6, 2017 at 9:37 am

hey girl- great pics! Such cute kiddos!

• Reply Kelly November 6, 2017 at 9:46 am

Thanks for a fun post!! I love Kensington coat. Can you share where you got it? Thank you 😊

• Reply Rebecca Jo November 6, 2017 at 10:04 am

The teeth thing is hilarious!!!! What are those odds?As long as no adults lost any teeth, we’re all good.
    That puppy in a skirt. I’m dying!

• Reply Marcia November 6, 2017 at 10:07 am

What a fun idea for a new family tradition. What are the odds that BOTH boys would lose a tooth in the Haunted House! I didn’t know you had bobcats in your neighborhood. My mom has them where she lives out in the country (outside of Manhattan, KS) but the ones I’ve seen pictures of were smaller. I didn’t realize how big they are! The picture of the kids in the Jeep kind of reminded me of Jurassic Park! Ha! Ha! Enjoy the fall temps and decorating for Christmas!

• Reply LeAnn November 6, 2017 at 10:08 am

Do you wear socks with your Sketchers Go Walks? I find my feet sweat a lot in them without socks but then I haven’t found socks that you can’t see in the hole in the back.

• Reply Liz November 6, 2017 at 10:20 am

Bobcats!? What? Also, where did you get Smith’s camo jacket? Thanks! 🙂

• Reply janet November 6, 2017 at 10:22 am

Loved all of the pictures. My favorites were Madeley kissing Samuel. (congrats to them on the growing family by the way). Bobcats. Beautiful and a little scary hanging out in the yard. I only get deer, rabbits and squirrels. Last but not least both boys losing teeth. Such fun memories you are making with your family and framily.

• Reply Wendy O. November 6, 2017 at 10:46 am

Oh Shay, my kiddos are grown now (ages 19 and 26), I wish I could get back a few of those days I said no to things. But, guess what? My 19 year old still wants to go see a movie with me this week and you better believe it is at the top of my list!!! Those Mountain Lions/Cougars are no joke. It looks as if you have a zoo in your back yard! Be extremely careful with the kids outside. They may like little dogs but they will move on to bigger objects if they so desire. And most fences cannot keep big cats like that out!!

• Reply Stacie Hoffman November 6, 2017 at 11:16 am

We have three small Chihuahuas( one is a new puppy). Hawks and Coyotes are very common in our area of TX. My husband just built a beautiful covered pen that their dog door leads to. The dog door we had done professionally because it had to go through brick( it is a telescoping design). Then there are little brick steps that lead down a stone path. The stone pavers are surrounded by large rocks and then it leads to a faux grassy area. The whole thing is covered in wire( all the sides and top) and framed with cedar. There are hinges in each section of the roof for easy cleaning. Now when our pups gonoutsise to potty the mess is contained and I know they are safe. It really is the best thing ever!!

• Reply Allyson November 6, 2017 at 11:51 am

Hi Shay! Wondering if you wear socks with your Skecher Go Walks? I love mine but they end up smelling after I wore them a couple of times. Might just be because I was in the rain?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

I don’t wear socks. They wash really well though! I just let them air dry.

• Reply Stacie Hoffman November 6, 2017 at 12:37 pm

If you wash them on cold with Borax it gets rid of the odor perfectly!!

• Reply Elizabeth Kelly November 6, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Oh my word… that picture of Madely and Samuel!!! 🙂 and bobcats in your backyard?!?!

• Reply Amanda November 6, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I can’t believe you have bobcats in your yard! That’s so scary!
    Sounds like y’all had a wonderful zoo day! Hard to even imagine an empty zoo since they’re always so packed!

• Reply Nikki Prša - Speak at Home Tonight November 6, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Those bobcats are scary! Yikes! It is almost like your backyard is a zoo. All I have to deal with here up in Philly are some crazy city squirrels.

Lots of love,
    Nikki

• Reply Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World November 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm

THOSE BOBCATS!!!! EEK!! We have a teeny little dog like y’all do, so we have to worry about hawks getting her. I don’t know what I would do if we had to worry about bobcats!!

• Reply Nicky November 6, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Those look like mountain lions/cougars? Either way, yikes!

• Reply Liz Thorson November 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Shay, you are such a loving mother! I love that you put your Monday work aside and enjoyed a day at the zoo with your four. What a fun day to have crisp weather and no crowd! It won’t be too many years before Kensington and Smith will be too involved with friends and activities and they won’t want to or won’t have the time to spend a day like this with their little sisters.

• Reply Julie Clark November 6, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Yikes, Bobcats in your backyard yard!! Scary!! Kensington looks so much older to me with her braces on. Super cute pictures!!

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life November 6, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Some of my favorite days are the days I put down what needs to be done and do what my kids want – I also hope to never forget them!

• Reply Beth November 6, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Oh goodness! Those bobcats look huge! Keep those pups safe!

• Reply Erin Port November 6, 2017 at 4:54 pm

So cute – love this little picture update 🙂 xoxo ERIN

• Reply Lana November 6, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Those are definitely mountain lions, not bobcats. You are a great mom, but be sure to keep a close eye on your kiddos and dogs. They will attack anything smaller than they are.

• Reply Lori Jones November 6, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Love these pics, Shay! They brightened my day! Where did you find the hat for your dad? It’s adorable!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 7, 2017 at 5:01 am

Eddie Bauer 🙂

• Reply Lauren chitwood November 6, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Hi Shay! Weird question but I’m only thinking Christmas now that Halloween is over and I’m wondering where you got your Christmas tree skirt? And do you go with a theme for your tree or do you use ornaments that are meaningful and don’t always match?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 7, 2017 at 5:01 am

I bought it at Pottery Barn! And my tree is a mix of sentimental ornaments collected over time and random ones I buy. It does not have a theme :).

• Reply Leslie November 7, 2017 at 10:06 am

Where did you get Madely’s “happy” pom pom hat? Love it!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 7, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Gap last year!

• Reply Dianna November 13, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Eek! I would like to know what y’all are doing about those bobcats! I now think I need a coton de tulear because I am in love with Frenchy!