Sausage & Cornbread Dressing

Sausage & Cornbread Stuffing

Oh friends!  My Sausage & Cornbread Dressing needs to be on your Thanksgiving menu this year!  It’s hearty, it feeds a crowd and it’s simple to make.  You and your family and friends will LOVE this one!!

Shopping List
1 pound of breakfast sausage
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
a handful of fresh thyme, chopped
about 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 loaf of cornbread, crumbled
1 (14 oz) bag of stuffing mix (I used Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing)
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
8 cups chicken stock

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In a very large pot over medium-high heat, brown up your breakfast sausage until it’s cooked and crumbly.  (Use the biggest pot you have!)

After it’s browned, add in your butter followed by the chopped onion, celery and jalapeno.  Saute the veggies with the meat until they’re tender (about 10 to 12 minutes).  Then, stir in your chopped herbs.  Let everything simmer a few minutes together.  Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add in your lightly beaten eggs, crumbled cornbread (just crumble it right up with your hands), stuffing mix and poultry seasoning.  Toss this together before adding it to your meat and veggies.  Toss everything together and then slowly pour in your chicken stock.   Carefully mix everything together and then pour it all into your prepared baking dish.

At this point, you can pop it straight into the oven or cover and keep it in the fridge up to three days before baking.

Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the edges are browned and the middle isn’t very wobbly.  Remove from oven and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

The perfect side to your turkey this Thanksgiving.

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog November 8, 2017 at 4:35 am

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving where I live, so I’m completely new to the idea of Thanksgiving food. This sounds delicious for a party!

• Reply Meagan Ruse November 8, 2017 at 5:26 am

This tasted amazing!!!!

• Reply Erika Slaughter November 8, 2017 at 5:46 am

• Reply Narci November 8, 2017 at 5:56 am

I needed seconds of this because this was JUST that delicious! It tastes so good, and stuffing isn’t usually my thing. Yum!!

• Reply Sarah Starr November 8, 2017 at 7:04 am

By “loaf” do you mean just following the instructions on a box/package of cornbread?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 8, 2017 at 8:32 am

Yes or you can buy a loaf of cornbread (our grocery store bakery sells them).

• Reply Lisa November 8, 2017 at 8:01 am

What brand of cornbread loaf do you use? How many cups of cornbread?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 8, 2017 at 8:31 am

One standard loaf will work (I like to make mine in a pie plate). I use basic Jiffy for things like this.

• Reply Diana November 8, 2017 at 8:26 am

YUM! This sounds very similar to my grandma’s dressing recipe which I make every year! Our secret ingredient is a little freshly grated nutmeg 😉 I’m tempted to sneak in some jalapenos now!

• Reply MinShien @ Joyous Apron November 8, 2017 at 10:20 am

That looks delicious!! I’m gathering ideas for our thanksgiving menu. What type of poultry seasoning do you use?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 8, 2017 at 11:38 am

It varies on what I find at my grocery store. Any basic one you see (there are always so many this time of year!) will work!

• Reply Anne-Marie November 16, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Do you used cubed Pepperidge Farms herbed stuffing, or just the regular kind (more fine bread crumbs)? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama November 17, 2017 at 5:17 am

The cubed kind that you buy in bags during the holiday season.