Who doesn’t love a big bowl of corn chowder?! It truly is one of my favorite fall/winter meals. This version, gets an extra kick of deliciousness with a Tex-Mex twist!
- 1 pound sausage (I used an Italian pork sausage)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped (the smaller you chop the potatoes, the faster the soup will cook)
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 (10 oz) can of Rotel tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) can of chopped green chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (14 oz) can cream corn
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- shredded cheddar cheese to garnish
- chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown sausage in a drizzle of EVOO. Once sausage is browned and crumbly, add in chopped onion and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute a minute or two until onions are soft.
Next, add in chopped potatoes, milk, Rotel, chopped green chiles and cream corn. Simmer 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender), stirring often.
Once potatoes are fork tender, stir in fresh or frozen corn and heat through another 5 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with shredded cheddar and cilantro.
If you can’t find Rotel tomatoes at your grocery store, substitute with a can of diced tomatoes and then increase your chili powder to 2 tablespoons.