Whether you make this as a side, a light supper or lunch, you’ll love it!
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 3 cups of water
- 8 pieces of bacon (I used turkey bacon), chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Before you begin, rinse your quinoa off under cold water. Rinse and then shake dry.
- Next, add your quinoa and water to a pot over medium-high heat on the stove. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer covered about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While your quinoa simmers, place your bacon pieces in a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Allow bacon pieces to crisp up. After they’re crispy, add in your chopped shallot and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the shallot a minute or two.
- Next, sprinkle in your flour and whisk a minute.
- Next, whisk in your milk and continue to whisk until sauce begins to thicken up. Once sauce starts to thicken up, whisk in your cheese and continue whisking until incorporated.
- Take your cooked quinoa and pour it into your skillet with your bacon cheese sauce. Stir in the quinoa and stir in your broccoli florets. Sprinkle in your Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with maybe a little more Parm.