A delicious and easy weeknight supper the whole family will love! It’s a meatball that tastes like a taco. #winning
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or Panko (we use gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa, plus more to garnish
- 1 red onion, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese mix (typically cheddar and pepper jack), reserve some to garnish
- 4 avocados
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet or 9×12 baking dish with a non-stick spray. (You can bake your meatballs on either.)
- In a large mixing bowl, add in your ground beef, chili powder, a big pinch of both salt and pepper, diced green chiles, lightly beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, salsa, about a quarter of your chopped red onion, cilantro and cheese. Combine this mixture with either a wooden spoons or your hands and then once combined, shape the mixture into golfball sized balls and place each one on your prepared baking dish.
- Pop your meatballs in the oven and bake about 18 to 20 minutes or until browned and lightly crisp on the edges.
- While your meatballs are baking, it’s time to make your mash. Take each avocado, split it in half, remove the seed and add the inside into a second mixing bowl along with the rest of your chopped red onion and a big pinch of salt. Using a spoon, mash this into a guacamole.
- When your meatballs are finished baking, it’s time to assemble. Add some mash to each plate and then top it with your baked meatballs. Garnish each meatball with a little bit of salsa and some cheese. Enjoy!
This is an easy recipe to make gluten-free by simply swapping traditional breadcrumbs or panko with a g-free.