Every fall, we enjoy hearty and delicious soups for dinner each and every week. We also love to enjoy squash and/or pumpkin in our favorite savory recipes too. This Sausage & Squash Soup tastes like fall in a bowl…but it’s easy enough for a weeknight supper.
- 1 pound of Italian sausage (sweet or spicy, your choice)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (10 oz) package of frozen diced butternut squash
- 1 can of chipotle and adobo sauce, optional (see note below)
- 2 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, plus a bit more to garnish
- chopped fresh sage to garnish, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown your sausage in a big drizzle of EVOO until browned and crumbly.
- Add in a nice pinch of both salt and pepper followed by your chopped onion. Allow your onion to sauté until tender (about 5 minutes) then stir in your chopped garlic and frozen squash. Let your squash sauté and heat up about 5 minutes and then if you’re using a chipotle pepper, chop up one along with a tablespoon of adobo sauce and stir that in.
- After your squash has sautéed, whisk in your stock. Bring the pot up to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer another 5 minutes or so. Once your squash feels fork tender, lower the heat and whisk in both your half and half and Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat and ladle into bowls with a garnish of fresh sage and a bit more Parm. Serve and enjoy!
We love adding chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to recipes, but it does bring a little heat and kick to whatever you’re adding it to. If you love an extra bit of heat, add in one (or two!) chopped peppers with a little sauce or you can omit this as well. Also, this recipe is gluten-free for our g-free family! If you eat gluten-free too, then you can also enjoy! xo