The easiest cut-out sugar cookies to make! For a gluten-free version, all you need to do is substitute your flour with an all-purpose g-free flour (we use Namaste) and then change the milk to 4 teaspoons in the dough recipe. Easy as that!
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 a cup of butter flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour (or gluten-free!)
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons milk (use 4 tsp if you’re making this g-free)
- Ingredients below for a buttercream frosting:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- food coloring, optional
- Christmas sprinkles, optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together your sugar and shortening. Beat in each egg followed by your vanilla and pinch of salt. Slowly beat in your flour. Finally, beat in your baking powder and your milk.
- Cover your mixing bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Dust your counter with just a bit of flour (or powdered sugar!) and place your dough on top. Using a rolling pin, roll out your dough. Take your cookie cutter and cut out your shapes before putting them on your prepared baking sheet.
- When you’re ready to bake, pop your cookies in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Remove and cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, beat your butter, salt, powdered sugar and milk together. Beat in your vanilla. At this point, you can divide your icing between smaller bowls and color them appropriately. Frost cooled cookies and then decorate.
- Store cookies in the fridge when not enjoying if you used buttercream frosting.
Depending on the size of your cookie cutters depends on how many you’ll yield.