A simple supper passed down from my sweet mother-in-law. It’s perfect for busy nights and hungry families!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, chopped (reserve some for garnishing)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (24 oz) bottle of spaghetti sauce (we use Trader Joe’s)
- 4 to 6 burger buns, split open (so you have 8 to 12 halves, we use gluten-free)
- about 2 cups of grated Mozzarella cheese
- about ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- a handful of basil, chopped for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in a drizzle of EVOO along with your ground beef. Brown your ground beef until browned and crumbly. Add in a big pinch of both salt and pepper along with your chopped red onion. Saute about five minutes or until tender.
- Stir in your chopped garlic and spaghetti sauce. Allow sauce and garlic to simmer with your ground beef about five minutes.
- Next, lay your burger bun halves on your prepared baking sheet. Ladle your ground beef mixture down on top of each half. Sprinkle your mozzarella cheese down over each half along with a sprinkling of Parm. Finally, add a little bit of your chopped basil.
- Pop this in the oven and bake just about 5 or 6 minutes. You only want the cheese to melt and the buns to lightly toast.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with a bit of chopped red onion to garnish.
We use 2 pounds of ground beef, but you could certainly halve this recipe.