Come fall, you need a variety of savory pumpkin dishes in your repertoire. My Perfect Pumpkin Chili is exactly how you should welcome in autumn!
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of bulk Italian sausage (I used a sweet sausage, but you could use spicy)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, chopped (reserve some for garnishing)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin (I used Libby’s)
- 1 (14 oz) can of cream corn
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
- roasted pumpkin kernel seeds to garnish, optional
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown up your ground beef and sausage in a big drizzle of EVOO until browned and crumbly. Add in a nice pinch of both salt and pepper.
- Next, add in your chopped red onion (reserving some for garnish) and allow it to become tender (about five minutes) before stirring in your chopped garlic.
- After that, stir in your chili powder, cinnamon and Cumin followed by your Worcestershire sauce, black beans, pumpkin, corn, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Allow everything to come up to a boil before reducing the heat to low and simmering about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When you’re ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with your chopped red onion, Parmesan cheese and pumpkin kernel seeds.
You can also substitute a second pound of ground beef for the sausage if you like!