Who doesn’t love taco night?! Grill up your chicken, pile on your toppings and everyone is happy! I love this easy Creamy Lime Salsa to pile on top of everything too!
- 1 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce (on the international aisle, you won’t use the whole can)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- salt and pepper
- about 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 limes, the juice and zest
- 1½ cups of your favorite salsa (I like a nice chunky salsa)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- flour (or corn!) tortillas for building your taco
- chopped cilantro to garnish, optional
- guacamole to garnish, optional
- Preheat your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high.
- While it’s preheating, make your marinade. You can let your chicken sit all day in your marinade in the fridge or just a few minutes, whichever you have time for. In one big gallon-sized bag, add in your sliced chicken pieces, as much of the chipotle and adobo as you like (I chopped up two chipotle peppers and added one tablespoon of the sauce), a big drizzle of EVOO (about 3 tablespoons), a pinch of both salt and pepper, your chili powder and the juice and zest of one of your limes. Seal the baggie and then toss everything around inside before either placing on your grill or sticking in the fridge until you’re ready to grill.
- Once you’re ready to grill, add your chicken (discarding the marinade) to your hot grill (I use a grilling basket for smaller pieces of food like this) and let it grill up. It will only take about 8 minutes or so. Keep turning and tossing the pieces on your grill so that all sides are getting cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, add in your chopped onion with a drizzle of EVOO, salt and pepper and saute stirring occasionally.
- While you’re waiting for your chicken to grill and your onion to saute, make your Creamy Lime Salsa. In a bowl, stir together your salsa, sour cream and the zest and juice of your remaining lime.
- Now, it’s time to assemble. Take each tortilla (I like to warm mine up) and top it with your grilled chicken, your sauteed onion, some of your Creamy Lime Salsa, a dollop of guacamole and some chopped cilantro.
To make grilling smaller slices of chicken easier, use a grilling basket right on the grill. You can also cook your chicken in a large skillet on the stove too.