Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family loves to make (and eat!) Haystacks! I don’t know what it is, but those peanut buttery butterscotch bites just put us in the holiday mood. When we started eating g-free at our house, we had to get creative with our Haystacks, so instead of the traditional crispy chow mein noodles, we used Cheerios 🙂 .
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 1 (11 oz) package butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- I like to lay wax paper on my counter for the Haystacks to cool.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the butterscotch chips and peanut butter together (stirring every 30 seconds).
- Next, stir your Cheerios into the melted butterscotch mixture.
- After that, drop by tablespoon fulls onto wax paper to set (one hour).
- We like to store these in an airtight container or gallon-sized baggie when not enjoying.
We used plain Cheerios, but you can certainly mix and match it with the other varieties too!