Shay on Today!

On Tuesday, I got to cook on Today with Hoda and Maria Shriver.

How fun is that?!

I took some random pics of the whole thing for you…

Back at the airport!  This was my second Monday in a row to fly to NYC.  This time, I was solo, so I enjoyed my coffee and book while I waited for my flight.

Cheers to a little quiet time 🙂 .  Want to hear something crazy?  It was 40 degrees in Dallas when I took off at noon and 68 degrees in NYC.  How did that happen?!

My flight landed at 4:00, and I was checked into my hotel room by 4:45.  I didn’t feel super great (head cold, sore throat, just icky), but I didn’t want to just sit in my hotel room, so I decided to get some fresh air…

…so, I just started walking.  I walked up to the park…

…a little Shay walking up 6th Ave selfie.  By the way, my green faux leather jacket is like my new FAVORITE thing!!!

I walked by the park…

…and just enjoyed being out.

I walked until 6:30 and then returned back to my hotel room for the night.

Okay, I’m pretty sure I’ve told you this before, but when I don’t feel well, my favorite comfort food is Pad See Ew from a Thai restaurant.  There is one right by my house and Andrew always brings it to me when I’m feeling sick or just really have a bad day.  Well, that’s all I wanted for dinner, so I pulled out my computer and googled food delivery in NYC and found this website called Seamless.  I typed in the address for the hotel and searched Thai restaurants and you know what?  Twenty minutes later, it was delivered for only $14 (and that included my bottle of water). Isn’t that so cool? I’m going to remember this site for future visits to NYC!!

Pad See Ew and a side of chili sauce FOR THE WIN!

A little Modern Family and Thai made life really good.

A few pics from my hotel room that night.  I love you NYC!

My dad texted me this…

…woohoo!!!!

I brought this mask to put on after my shower…

…a shower, a face mask and a really good book (I finished one that night!).

The next morning, my alarm went off at 6:30…

…and I was ready to conquer the day!

Andrew texted me to ask what I was doing and I sent him this pic…

…hahahaha!  I had put on jeans over my pajamas and that jacket and walked to Starbucks.  A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do!  I needed coffee!  #andabreakfastsandwich

After that, I went back to the hotel and two sweet ladies from GlamSquad (it’s an app and they’re always WONDERFUL!!!) came up to my room to do my hair and makeup…

I put on my dress and was ready to head to Today at 9:00.

DRESS//HEELS//EARRINGS

Green room selfie!

Then, it was time for my walk through to see how everything was laid out…

…this is my serious listening face. Ha!

Then, it was almost go time!

SO MUCH FUN!!!

I say this every single time, but everyone at Today is SO NICE!!  I had the best time with both Hoda and Maria…who by the way, kept eating my food after the segment.  Hoda ate all of her cake and Maria was eating the pasta.  They both made me feel so good about the segment, my recipes, EVERYTHING!  It was such an honor.

As soon as the segment was over, I was in a car on the way back to the airport.  I pulled out my false lashes and washed the makeup off my face in route 🙂 .

Then, I waited for my flight and headed home to see my babies and sweet hubby 🙂 .

Thank you so much to all of you for the sweet comments, emails and FB messages.  You guys are so sweet to me!!

To see the whole segment click HERE.

And here are the links to all of the recipes:

Sausage & Butternut Squash Pasta
Sausage & Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkin Spice Latte Bundt Cake

Happy Thursday!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 18, 2018 at 4:37 am

I loved the behind-the-scenes look into what goes on in a food segment on Today! How interesting! I love your dress as well. 🙂

• Kate October 18, 2018 at 4:47 am

Seamless has an app as well that is super easy to use – check it out! You should also check out Postmates, they will deliver anything not available to be delivered in seamless or other sites!

• Sheaffer Sims October 18, 2018 at 5:14 am

You were SO GOOD. You make it look effortless and so much fun! And you looked GORGEOUS. Which is of course important when appearing on National t.v. 🙂

• Beth Knecht October 18, 2018 at 5:29 am

I love that pumpkin spice latte bundt cake, but I’ve made your Snickerdoodle bundt cake twice already this week! Once for a church dinner and once as cupcakes for my team of teachers for a meeting! Everyone loved them! Such great and simple recipes! Thank you!

• Erika Slaughter October 18, 2018 at 5:37 am

You did awesome! You seriously make that look so easy! And you know how I feel about that particular comfort food. 😉

• Sarah Wall October 18, 2018 at 5:50 am

Enjoyed watching your segment live! Congrats on all your success! You looked beautiful, by the way! Have a great day! 🙂

• Stephanie October 18, 2018 at 5:50 am

Looks like you had a blast!

• Elspeth Mizner October 18, 2018 at 5:50 am

Awe yay!! I watched your segment while I was at the gym! I loved it! So great to see you on tv!

• Kathy October 18, 2018 at 6:04 am

I loved seeing you on Today!
    I would have left on my fabulous makeup for as long as I could! lol

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 6:11 am

It was too thick for recycled airplane air. It was beautiful…but my skin would have been suffocating on board!

• Sarah Shaneyfelt October 18, 2018 at 6:07 am

I loved your segment!!! Hoda is my favorite! And I feel like a solo trip to NYC would be awesome!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Alexis deZayas October 18, 2018 at 6:23 am

Is there a link we can watch it if we missed it?! Would love to see!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:12 am

At the bottom of today’s post!!

• Justyna October 18, 2018 at 6:26 am

Seamless is the best! However dangerous because of how easy it is to get any food delivered any time! (Umm try $300 credit card bill later!)
    You should download their app! Much quicker 🙂

• Natalie October 18, 2018 at 6:38 am

Awesome! I was hoping you go to meet Candace Bure backstage!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:12 am

Boo, me too!

• Whitney October 18, 2018 at 6:44 am

You did a great job! Did you get to see or meet Candace Cameron Bure?!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:12 am

She walked by me once but she was in and out in minutes.

• Kathy October 18, 2018 at 6:51 am

Don’t they have a makeup department at Today that you could use?

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:12 am

Only for their hosts, not for guests.

• Narci October 18, 2018 at 6:58 am

What a FUN trip! And you were amazing on Today!! Everything was perfect!!

• Ashlee October 18, 2018 at 7:01 am

Always love seeing you cook on tv. I’ve added both of the recipes to my list for next week. Where are your two gold necklaces from? (I’m sure you’ve shared before sorry)

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:11 am

They’re both Gorjana from Nordstrom!

• Abby October 18, 2018 at 7:13 am

Pad See Ew is my FAVORITE! Now I want thai 🙂

• Kristine October 18, 2018 at 7:18 am

How about those Red Sox!!!! #redsoxnation

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 7:29 am

How about those Red Sox?!

• Amanda Wilson October 18, 2018 at 7:21 am

What an amazing experience!! I NEED to make that pasta recipe!

• Tracy October 18, 2018 at 7:36 am

You did great and that cake looked amazing. Did you get to meet Candace Cameron Bure? Love her and it seems like you two would hit it off!

• Kathy L October 18, 2018 at 7:41 am

Recipes looked delicious on the the Today show clip, and definitely perfect for this time of year! You look like a pro! Does it get less nerve-wracking to be on National TV now that you’ve done it a few times? 🙂

• Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams October 18, 2018 at 7:46 am

You always do a great job Shay! I was so excited that Maria was there when you were. Is that a plaid scarf in your first airport picture? I was wondering if you linked that anywhere?!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:55 pm

It’s Burberry 🙂

• Alyssa October 18, 2018 at 7:55 am

This whole post makes me smile! What are your favorite hotels to stay at in NYC?

• Tami Gronseth October 18, 2018 at 8:01 am

Question- what transportation method do you use to get from the airport to your hotel? We are going to NYC for the first time next spring- just curious what works the best there! And LOVE, LOVE your blog. Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:55 pm

A cab 🙂 . It’s super easy!

• Julie October 18, 2018 at 8:03 am

You looked amazing and seemed so calm and collected. Glad you had fun!

• Paula October 18, 2018 at 8:10 am

You really do great on there. Like a pro.
    I made your cake yesterday. DELICIOUS per usual.
    Who takes those photos of you? Do they have staff with your phone taking taking random pictures? That is great if they do.

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Yes! They’re all so nice there!!!

• Lauren Palmer October 18, 2018 at 8:12 am

great job friend!

• Susan October 18, 2018 at 8:13 am

This is random, but who took the pictures for you at Today? Just wondering if you had someone there with you or if someone at the show took them for you.

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Someone there did 🙂 .

• Sheena Snook October 18, 2018 at 8:17 am

Hi Shay! Love the segment!
    What color is the lipstick you’re wearing while touring NYC!

Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Stila’s Perla 🙂

• Erin Chavez October 18, 2018 at 8:26 am

How fun! And meeting Maria Shriver! Wow, I just love her!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Right?! WOW!!!

• Ann Marie Tennison October 18, 2018 at 8:39 am

What fun day, Shay!!!! You looked gorgeous as always! So proud of you!!!!!!

• Melanie October 18, 2018 at 8:50 am

I recorded it and watched it when I got home from work. You did great. I know it is fast-paced and you have limited time, but, you were very calm and clear and seemingly relaxed. I’m sure that’s why they keep inviting you back!

• Patricia October 18, 2018 at 8:51 am

I think I’m going to try the pumpkin version of the pasta dish

• Jennifer Robertson October 18, 2018 at 8:52 am

How exciting! You looked great! Do you have any tips on where to stay in NYC and reasonable flights? We live in Alabama and are wanting to surprise our son with a trip to NYC for his graduation. Does your agency plan trips to NYC?

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:53 pm

We don’t plan trips to NYC, but email me and I’ll give you some info 🙂 .

• Dawn October 18, 2018 at 8:53 am

I recorded Today just to watch your segment, and you looked amazing! You did such a great job. How are you not nervous?! I would have been fumbling all over my words.

• Nerine October 18, 2018 at 9:05 am

What a fun day! I watched your segment live, you did so wonderful! I can’t wait to try those recipes 🙂

• Lauren chitwood October 18, 2018 at 9:14 am

Hi! You looked amazing! Just adore you so much!! Quick question, what makeup wipes do you to take off all your makeup? I find that most makeup wipes burn my skin and leave it dry and hurting.

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:53 pm

I had some Neutrogena ones in my bag! I added a little Tula moisturizer and was good to go!

• Sandy Blitch October 18, 2018 at 9:18 am

I was so disappointed Tuesday morning, ready to turn on that show……but because I live in Austin, all the coverage was on the flooding in Central Texas! I tried the NBC APP, but it was only Primetime shows. Thank you for putting it here on your blog so I can watch it! Thanks!

• Kelli October 18, 2018 at 9:22 am

thank you for posting the segment! We couldn’t watch it in Austin – the local news took over all morning because of the flooding. 🙁

• Dawn October 18, 2018 at 9:24 am

That pasta looks delicious and I am definitely making it. Love to see what goes on behind those short food segments. Also love the idea of a glam app!

• Kelly Buffington October 18, 2018 at 9:24 am

So fun! And you looked beautiful and handled it like the pro that you are! My personal favorite was the no make-up, pajama top Starbucks run, yay you;).

• Kristin Bannister October 18, 2018 at 9:44 am

You were amazing!! I’m so happy for you! You looked so gorgeous and seemed so comfortable doing the segment. I think I would have been so nervous infront of all of the lights and cameras…. not to mention Hoda and Maria! 😉 So glad the nation got to see a glimmer of how amazing you are as a person and a cook!

• Jen October 18, 2018 at 9:54 am

You did a great job! I’m just curious, do you have some of the items made up ahead of time (like the soup and cake?) Do you go in early and bake them?? So much fun!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:52 pm

It depends on the show, at Today, they do it all before. I don’t do anything!

• Beth Valenta October 18, 2018 at 9:58 am

Great segment! That soup is my go to!
    So excited for tonight’s game. We are going all the way.
    Go SOX.

• Shelley Watson October 18, 2018 at 10:26 am

Love that you walked around NYC by yourself!! I would’ve done the same!

• Jillian October 18, 2018 at 10:27 am

I just bought that green jacket from Loft, and it is a favorite of mine as well! Great job on the show!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm

I just totally LOVE it!!

• Becky Michl October 18, 2018 at 10:48 am

You are so amazing!! I just love watching you in action! Keep it up sweetheart!

• Rebecca Rooney October 18, 2018 at 10:52 am

I can tell which book you just finished, I love the Blue Heron series!!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm

🙂

• Ali October 18, 2018 at 11:20 am

I wish you posted more pictures of what you saw and did instead of just selfies. Such as… 6th ave, the park… It sounds like a fun little day, just wished you showed what you did!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Well, it’s my third trip to NYC in less than a month…so, I feel like I’ve posted a bunch of randomness!

• Connie B. October 18, 2018 at 11:24 am

Loved the pic of you reading with the TV on. I do that too and my husband just doesn’t understand it! I just explain it as a woman’s ability to multi-task! Also, agree with the love for NYC! Our youngest left for a MFA from NYU in 2013 and didn’t return! Always fun to visit and try all the new places he’s picked out, see a show, hear some jazz and hang out in Central Park.

• shawnna Griffin October 18, 2018 at 11:52 am

hey girl- loved seeing u on the Today Show! so cool! The food looked so yummy!

• Katie Mitchell October 18, 2018 at 11:56 am

Congrats! Where is your blue and white scarf from? Beautiful!

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Burberry!

• Dustie Day October 18, 2018 at 12:08 pm

You were so GREAT!!!

• Lindsay D. October 18, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Congratulations!! So happy for you!!

• Marie Le October 18, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Congrats on all of your success! You’re an inspiration.

• Allena Gurley October 18, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I think you’ve talked about this before, but I just don’t remember – does the glam squad use your make-up/tools or do they bring their own? It looked super natural but with just a little extra zing (if that makes sense) haha.

• Mix and Match Mama October 18, 2018 at 1:50 pm

They bring all of their own stuff! I have never been disappointed with their services and have used them both in NYC and LA.

• Anna S October 18, 2018 at 1:35 pm

With such a short amount of time you have to really be on your game. You did amazing!

• Theresa October 18, 2018 at 2:10 pm

You really are sooooo cool!!! 😎😎😎

• Sarah October 18, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Hi Shay! I was so excited to see you on Today! I went grocery shopping today and bought the ingredients for the sausage pasta and pumpkin bust cake! So excited to make them! I enjoy your blog so much! Thanks for always being a bright spot in my day! I’m a huge Red Sox fan too so enjoy watching the game tonight! Go Sox!

• Bri October 18, 2018 at 4:05 pm

What a super cool post to see, and I was freaking out that you were on the show. My kids will tell you, haha! I kept pausing our schooling to see if you were on yet! 🙂 How do you stay so calm and cool for TV?!?!?! I would have had hives all over girl! You are amazing.

• Natasha October 18, 2018 at 4:17 pm

If you like Thai you MUST try Crush Craft!!! They have a new location in the Frisco Star and I am telling you it will change your life. By far the best Thai food in Dallas and so cute and so cheap!

Also loved loved loved your Today Show!!

• Denise October 18, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Your pasta recipe was a hit last night at dinner! I Love how easy it all came together! i can’t wait wait to try the cake. I love your blog.

• Meredith October 18, 2018 at 5:23 pm

I was so looking forward to watching you but I live in Austin and the Today show was preempted by weather coverage due to the flooding. I’ll have to watch online I guess. Congratulations!

• Ashley October 18, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Can’t wait to try that pasta! I bought the Nordstrom fuzzy robe you have, I am curious if it keeps it’s softness after washing it?

• Mix and Match Mama October 19, 2018 at 5:38 am

It gets even softer!!

• Kristy October 18, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Who took the pictures of you getting ready and then posing with the hosts while on the Today show? Did you just have to brave it and ask a cameraman? 😂

• Mix and Match Mama October 19, 2018 at 5:21 am

Before I go on the show, I work with a producer via email to make sure it’s all worked out the way we both want it, so by the time I met her in person, I felt like I knew her (I had the same producer for a couple of them), so they really are sweet and offer to help with stuff like that.

• Carla Hambleton October 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm

Hi I don’t know if you’re open to this feedback but I love your blog and I love when you caption your photos before the picture! In this post you do both above and below but you usually do below and then we have to scroll back up to see what you’re talking about. Just a thought!today looked fun. 🙂

• Stacy October 18, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Hi Shay, our ladies group met this week so I coordinated a “pumpkinpalooza” food theme with the other hostesses using your pumpkin recipes. The pumpkin soup and chocolate and pumpkin bars were a hit! I actually made the soup vegan by using meat substitute crumbles and coconut milk. I’ve posted before how much I respect how your recipes (&lifestule) encourage eating at home with family but never actually made a dish. Well, now, I really appreciate you and your passion for food 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama October 19, 2018 at 5:20 am

That’s so much fun, Stacy!! I’m so honored!!

• MotherHenn October 19, 2018 at 7:40 am

This may sound ridiculous, and such a first world problem, I know, but do you ever get concerned wearing your jewelry when traveling? I’m blessed and have a beautiful wedding set, but I’m paranoid about it – that it might draw attention to a thief or pick-pocket; especially if my husband isn’t with me. Maybe it’s a stereotype of mine, but just curious if the streets of NYC, and other places you’ve traveled feel safe enough to walk alone with your beautiful jewelry and/or designer bag, etc?

• Mix and Match Mama October 19, 2018 at 8:40 am

Yes, I do think about that too. My husband is an insurance agent, so if someone wants to rob me, I’m going to hand it right on over. It’s insured and even if it wasn’t, I’m not going to quibble with someone who wants to rob me. I think you just have to always be aware of where you are and make sure you’re not alone. I just walked and walked on main streets, so I always felt surrounded.

• MotherHenn October 19, 2018 at 2:24 pm

I really appreciate your response. I’ve thought about those silicone bands, but they’re just not my style. I want to enjoy life more and wish I wasn’t such a worrier about it. Your perspective helps.

• Lindsay @ Lindsay's Sweet World October 19, 2018 at 11:06 am

I tuned in and loved the segment! That cake looked divine! I’ll have to try it!

• Holly D October 19, 2018 at 11:37 am

Congrats on another exciting television debut! Can you please tell me where you got the two necklaces you are wearing with your green jacket while out on an evening NYC stroll? Love the lower one!

• Mix and Match Mama October 19, 2018 at 2:50 pm

They’re both from the brand Gorjana at Nordstrom!

• Kacy Mah October 19, 2018 at 1:31 pm

So awesome!

• Emily King October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Did you stay at the Knickerbocker? I had that same view last week, also for work but not on Today!

• Mix and Match Mama October 22, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I didn’t! I was right there in Times Square though!

• Erin Port October 23, 2018 at 6:53 am

So cool, I always love to see the behind the scenes! You looked beautiful as always!

• Leslie Clingan October 28, 2018 at 6:31 pm

So PROUD of you, and I know your mama and daddy, brother, hubs and kids are all very proud, too!!!