Perfect Pumpkin Chili

Guys, I made the Perfect Pumpkin Chili!!

Why is it perfect? Because it didn’t taste super pumpkin-y (for those of you who don’t love things that are super pumpkin-y), it just tasted delicious!  My whole family ate this up, and I know that yours will too!  October calls for savory pumpkin dishes and this one here, will not disappoint!

Perfect Pumpkin Chili

• Author: Mix and Match Mama
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 15 minutes
  • Total Time: 25 minutes
  • Yield: 6 1x

Description

Come fall, you need a variety of savory pumpkin dishes in your repertoire.  My Perfect Pumpkin Chili is exactly how you should welcome in autumn!

Scale

Ingredients

• 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1 pound of bulk Italian sausage (I used a sweet sausage, but you could use spicy)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 red onion, chopped (reserve some for garnishing)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin (I used Libby’s)
  • 1 (14 oz) can of cream corn
  • 1 (6 oz) can of tomato sauce
  • 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
  • roasted pumpkin kernel seeds to garnish, optional

Instructions

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown up your ground beef and sausage in a big drizzle of EVOO until browned and crumbly.  Add in a nice pinch of both salt and pepper.
  2. Next, add in your chopped red onion (reserving some for garnish) and allow it to become tender (about five minutes) before stirring in your chopped garlic.
  3. After that, stir in your chili powder, cinnamon and Cumin followed by your Worcestershire sauce, black beans, pumpkin, corn, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.  Allow everything to come up to a boil before reducing the heat to low and simmering about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
  4. When you’re ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with your chopped red onion, Parmesan cheese and pumpkin kernel seeds.

Notes

You can also substitute a second pound of ground beef for the sausage if you like!

• Reply Sara October 9, 2019 at 4:51 am

Ooooohhh this looks good! I’ll make it this weekend! The photo is gorgeous!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog October 9, 2019 at 4:59 am

Chili and pumpkin are the most fall-ish things, so this has to be the ultimate fall meal, haha! Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

• Reply Baker October 9, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Do you think a sweet onion would be good in this ?

• Reply Sara Faith October 9, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Hi shay! I have your grilled scallops with risotto on my meal plan for Thursday but I already went grocery shopping and just realized I forgot the lemon pepper seasoning for the scallops. I want to use something more than just salt and pepper. What would you use?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2019 at 5:03 am

You could go different ways! A little red pepper flake would work, or a little Italian seasoning blend, or just add a little garlic powder with your s&p!

• Reply Holly October 9, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Hey shay what kind of shrimp do you typically buy? Farm raised? not farm raised? I was going to make your grilled shrimp tacos this week but I have never bought shrimp before.

• Reply Tammy Kelley October 9, 2019 at 7:28 pm

I made this chili today for dinner and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe!!

• Reply Francine October 9, 2019 at 8:22 pm

What brand of frozen meatballs do you use for your MEATBALL MOZZARELLA BAKE? Thanks

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 10, 2019 at 5:01 am

Trader Joe’s!!! Their turkey meatballs are my favorite. In fact, we’re having it tonight!! What a small world?!

• Reply Denise October 9, 2019 at 8:35 pm

I made this tonight! It was a hit with everyone! Perfect for this rainy cold day.

• Reply Laura Rowdon October 14, 2019 at 9:54 am

So. Good.
    Super easy to make and delicious!
    My husband doesn’t like chili, but when I made it his first response was, “I love it.”
    Side note: I made it with shredded chicken instead of ground beef, and beer brats instead of the italian sausage.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama October 14, 2019 at 10:01 am

Awe!! I’m so happy you tried it, Laura! Thank you so much for the feedback!