I’m sharing today’s recipe in honor of Smith’s 10th birthday!!
For some reason, Smith got it into his head that he wanted grilled chicken and onion sliders. He loves eating grilled chicken and onions with his fajitas and the idea to eat them on a sandwich together popped into his head and never popped out. He just “knew” it would be a great dinner, so one night, I made them. And you know what? It was a great dinner! (It was also an easy dinner too!!) Our Grilled Chicken & Onion Sliders were a hit on the little buns, but of course, you could make them on larger ones too. My kids love to eat things that are “slider” sized, so perhaps yours do too. A little grilled chicken, some sauteed onions and cheese…what’s better than that?!
And then just for grins…
Someone was interrupting my photo shoot because she was ready to eat dinner…Print
Our Grilled Chicken & Onion Sliders are an easy supper, hearty appetizer or a tasty lunch. You can also skip the slider sized buns and make these with big ones too!
- 1 onion, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- slider sized burger buns (or you can make them with bigger buns too!)
- a little butter for topping each bun
- Preheat your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high. Also, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease (I use Pam) a 9×12 baking dish. Set aside.
- Next, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute your onion in a drizzle of EVOO. Let them saute down quite a bit until they caramelize (about 15 minutes or so). Add in a generous pinch of both salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, while your onions are sauteing, grill up your chicken. I use a grilling basket for smaller pieces of food like this. Since your pieces are small, it will only take about 8 minutes or so. Keep turning and tossing the pieces on your grill so that all sides are getting cooked.
- Remove your chicken from the grill and add it into the sauteed onions on the skillet. Stir in your chili powder and toss everything together.
- Remove your chicken and onions from the heat and assemble your sliders. After you add a generous amount of chicken and onions to each one, top it with shredded cheese before adding your top bun. Repeat. Once you’ve built all of your sliders and added them to your baking dish, spread just a little butter over the tops of each one.
- Put your sliders in the oven and bake about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
You can also assemble these sliders in advance and then bake them off right before you’re ready to serve. For an easy gluten-free swap, just change out your buns to a g-free ones.