Friends, oh my word! I am so excited to share this recipe with you!!!
I made these easy little no bake Valentine’s Chex Treats about a month ago because a) we had the ingredients already at home and b) they’re naturally gluten-free. It was a Sunday afternoon, and I was just trying to whip something simple up with what I had on hand. What I didn’t anticipate was that they would be the best thing I’ve ever tasted in my life. Ha! You know how Andrew and I don’t typically care for desserts? We could not stop eating these. In fact, he said “Make sure on your blog, you tell everyone I had two.” Yeah. He doesn’t eat anything sweet…and he had more than one.
Since making them the first time, we have made them time and time again…in fact, my kids can even make these now without any supervision whatsoever. We have been making ours festive for Valentine’s Day, but you could totally just leave off the sprinkles and enjoy them year around OR change out the sprinkles for the holiday. Either way you do it, just do it. These simple little treats will be a new fave at your house too!
The easiest little bar for Valentine’s Day (or any occasion, really!). Your family will absolutely love these!
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Cinnamon Chex
- 1 (10 oz) bag of mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 8 to 10 oz of vanilla candy coating (found on the chocolate chip aisle)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Valentine’s sprinkles, optional
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and then spray down with Pam for easy removal of the bars. Set aside.
- In a large-sized baggie, add in both of your cereals. Seal the bag and lightly crush the cereal (we use the back of a measuring cup). Don’t crush them too much, just crush them a bit so that most of the cereal pieces are broken.
- Pour broken cereal pieces into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, add in your marshmallows and butter. Place this bowl in the microwave and microwave until the marshmallows are melted (stopping every 30 seconds to stir). This will only take about a minute or so. As soon as your marshmallows and butter are melted, quickly pour this on top of the cereal in your bowl. Quickly combine everything and then pat it all down into your prepared baking dish. Pat everything flat and allow the bars to cool about 10 minutes before icing.
- To make the icing on the top, take your vanilla candy coating and add it to a microwavable bowl along with your vegetable oil. Microwave until the candy coating is melted (again, stopping to stir every 30 seconds). This will take about 2 minutes or so. As soon as it’s melted, quickly spread this on top of your bars and then top with any sprinkles. Allow this to cool 20 minutes on your counter before slicing, serving and enjoying.
- When not enjoying, store these in an airtight container on the counter (no fridge necessary).
Because you’re using Chex cereals, these are naturally gluten-free!