I don’t know about you, but I am counting down the days until summer break…and not in the kitchen.
I looked on my notes to see when I made this recipe the first time for my family, and it’s dated August 5, 2021 which made me laugh because that was the week before school started and now, here I am the week leading up to summer still making it because IT’S SO EASY!
Whether you use a pork kielbasa or a turkey sausage, this recipe is super simple and easy to whip up. Pro tip: buy frozen rice and heat that up (we love Trader Joe’s Jasmin Rice!) for an even simpler take on suppertime.
A super simple supper for your whole family!
- 1 pound of kielbasa-style sausage, sliced into rounds
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 pint of mushrooms (we love sliced cremini)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon good quality mustard (we like a spicy yellow mustard)
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- a little Parmesan cheese for garnishing
- about ½ cup of cooked and ready to eat rice per person
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown your sausage rounds and onion in a drizzle of EVOO, stirring often. After about five minutes or so, add in your mushrooms and continue to let your onions caramelize and the mushrooms brown. After your mushrooms have sautéed, then add in a generous pinch of salt and pepper (not before or else your mushrooms won’t brown!).
- Next stir in your mustard and Worcestershire sauce and let it heat through just a minute.
- Now, you’re ready to serve! Take each plate and add your rice followed by a helping of your sausage and mushrooms right on top. Sprinkle a little Parm over everything and serve immediately.