Help for Houston

Once a month, my friends Mel, Sheaffer and I host this link up where we share some random and fun stuff that’s up with us…but our hearts have been so heavy this week that we thought we would all focus on Hurricane Harvey relief instead.  If you have blogged WUW this week, save it and link to us next Wednesday, September 6th instead.

This week has been devastating for so many. I’m not even sure if that word does it justice.  Like most of you, we have been doing as much as we can from where we are.  It’s just so heartbreaking.  My dad goes on mission trips with a church in Houston and they were supposed to have left last Saturday for Nepal…but instead, they’re now “on mission” helping the people right there in their own community instead.  It’s such an incredibly devastating turn of events.  Over the last 25 years, my dad has offered help and assistance leading up to and after 15 different hurricanes and Andrew has been with him for the last three.  I was so proud of my brother this week for driving down to Houston and doing the same thing.  PEOPLE STILL NEED HELP! I know it’s not possible for all of us to physically go and help, but you can make a donation or like a lot of us are also doing, collecting items people will need after the storm ceases.  I know my Facebook feed has been filled with people who need everything from clothing to diapers to food to medicine and more.

Today, the three of us made a list of some of the places where your donations would go help those affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Of course, this is not all of them, so if you have other ideas/options/suggestions, please comment and share.

*Go to www.samaritanspurse.com to make a credit card donation. We’ve had readers comment on how this organization helped them previously in times of need.  They have 5 tractor trailers currently on their way to Houston.
*Text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross. You can do this multiple times.  You can also visit redcross.org or call 1- 800-RED CROSS.  The Red Cross depends on financial donations to help provide immediate relief.
*JJ WATT (a Houston Texan football player) created a donation page and he pledges that 100% of the donations will go straight to disaster relief, to the people in need.  You can find the site HERE.
*Our friends Courtney and Josh started a non-profit called Mission Regan several years ago in McKinney.  They specialize in delivering medical supplies to those in need (both locally and abroad), and right now they are putting together teams to deliver supplies to the hard hit areas in Houston.  The first team left yesterday, but they are already preparing for the 2nd round. Click HERE to donate.  Please specify “hurricane relief” in the square NOTES section and select “general fund” in the drop down box.  Click HERE to hop over to their facebook page to see a video they filmed yesterday showing some of their preparations getting ready to go.
*UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief):  you can donate HERE, and you can go HERE to find out about how to make relief kits.  They are not in need of volunteers at this time.
*The United Way has also announced a way to text a donation: Text UWFLOOD to 41444 to donate to the United Way Flood Relief Fund.
*Donations to support The Salvation Army’s Hurricane Harvey relief efforts can be made at helpsalvationarmy.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.
*Carter BloodCare covers hospitals in north, central and east Texas. To donate, call 877-571-1000 or text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999.
*To help animals suffering from the disaster, visit the Houston Humane Society or the San Antonio Humane Society.
*The Texas Diaper Bank has issued an urgent request for donations, stating that diapers are not provided by disaster relief agencies. The diaper bank will be distributing emergency diaper kits to affected families.  You can donate money HERE, or you can send diaper to the following address: The Texas Diaper Bank      5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504  San Antonio, TX 78238
*AABB coordinates a task force to manage blood collection efforts.
 SHOP FOR A CAUSE:
*From now until the end of September, Chip and Joanna Gaines are donating 100 percent of the proceeds from their “Texas Forever” T-shirt towards Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
*Our friend Tori at ALL THE WIRE created a Texas Strong bracelet.  $10 of every sale will go to disaster relief.
FOR DALLAS PEOPLE:
Thousands and thousands of evacuees began arriving in Dallas yesterday, with makeshift shelters at the Convention Center, schools and recreation centers. Trusted World has set up donation centers with needs specific to the shelters: diapers, baby wipes, toiletries, feminine hygiene products and nonperishable food including baby formula. The only clothing items that are needed at this time are packs of underwear and socks. Go HERE for locations and hours and/or to sign up for a time to Volunteer.

My heart has been heavy all week long and my prayers have not ceased for those affected.  God bless you guys as you all do what you can from where you are to help those in need, and God bless everyone who has been affected.  I am praying for you.

• Reply Francie August 30, 2017 at 5:12 am

I’m headed to Houston on Friday. If you are a RN or MD please contact medical staffing network. The hospitals in Houston are in need of major assistance, some medical staff have been working 72 hours straight without relief. Still praying for Houston and Louisiana. http://www.supersimpleways.com

• Reply Lauren Vause August 30, 2017 at 8:12 am

Cirrus Medical Staffing has jobs for the Hurricane Relief too. If you know of anyone please reach out to me at lvause@cirrusmedicalstaffing.com

Thank you for volunteering your time to help those in need!

• Reply Bethany August 30, 2017 at 5:14 am

Prayers for these individuals! I cannot imagine what they are going through!

• Reply Susan Jeffries August 30, 2017 at 5:25 am

This has been so devastating to watch. But such a blessing to see Americans come together to help each other. I am not saddened by the people who have helpless animals left behind or lost. We have been praying to find the best way to help our fellow Americans in Texas. Thanks for the links. We will be donating to the Texas humane society. Blessings.

• Reply Elspeth Mizner August 30, 2017 at 5:26 am

My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone involved with this tragedy! Thank you for all the information.

• Reply Elizabeth Feldpausch August 30, 2017 at 5:29 am

Thank you so much for this. This flooding is truly unimaginable. My parents evacuated their home yesterday by kayak. My family and I will most likely have to leave today because of the rising waters in the bayou. It kills me to have to leave the home where I brought my babies home (one only 6 weeks old) but seeing so many come together help provides hope!

• Reply Narci Dreffs August 30, 2017 at 5:38 am

Praying for Houston! So many good resources here!

• Reply Sheaffer Sims August 30, 2017 at 5:49 am

Yes, praying so hard. Love seeing people coming together.

• Reply Hanna August 30, 2017 at 5:53 am

My sisters house had 4.5 feet of water. She is pregnant and her and her husband have 2 small boys. It’s been a super tough week for them and we know it’ll be a long road ahead. Please keep her family in your prayers.

• Reply Amy Heinl August 30, 2017 at 6:08 am

Lifting all of Texas in prayer. Our company does 100% match when employees make contributions. I donated to the Red Cross and they matched my donations. Many companies do that so I would encourage your readers to check with their employers. Our company itself also made a $50,000 donation. It has been amazing to see so many people come into rescue and help those affected.

• Reply Elaine Welte August 30, 2017 at 6:11 am

Thank you for sharing. The devastation is horrible. I blogged for today, and wanted to share the link because there are some additional ways to help with some being time sensitive. http://theweltefamilyblog.blogspot.com/2017/08/what-up-wednesday.html?m=1

• Reply Carly M August 30, 2017 at 6:15 am

God bless the people of Texas. Thank you for your post.

• Reply Alexis deZayas August 30, 2017 at 6:23 am

So so glad you shared this Shay. I know a lot of people who have been looking for ways to help and it’s so helpful to have them all in one spot. Sending so many prayers to Houston❤️

• Reply Morgan Eckert August 30, 2017 at 6:24 am

I cannot thank you enough for blogging about all the ways you can help. My parents house and grandparents house flooded and we are just devastated. It is so unreal seeing my hometown underwater and I feel so helpless being away at college and not being able to physically be there and help. Thanks again for all the prayers Shay, I really appreciate it.

• Reply Lizzie @ This Happy Life August 30, 2017 at 6:36 am

I truly cannot imagine what these people are going through, everyone coming together to help is such a blessing

• Reply Paige Sullivan August 30, 2017 at 6:43 am

Shay, I started reading your blog because of your adoption posts- I have loved following you for the last year and a half. The Bachelor connection was just an added bonus. You are always inspiring and because of you, I also follow so many of your friends:) Thank-you!
    I wanted to share that I have had a fundraiser set up this week also. I am so fortunate to partner with this company that lets me do this. 25% of all sales will be donated to the American Red Cross.
    Sending you all in Texas great big hugs and prayers!

• Reply Shelly August 30, 2017 at 6:45 am

Thanks for putting this together Shay! My hometown (Wharton) is waking up to river flooding this morning on both sides. As a state we are all going to feel the pain of this hurricane for a long time. I cannot even imagine living through this nightmare all those directly impacted are going through.

• Reply Mama V @ Snowflakes & Coffeecakes August 30, 2017 at 6:46 am

Shay,
    Thank you for posting and sharing this information. Our hearts are heavy as we watch the devastation in Texas. I have linked to your page in order to share this list of wonderful volunteers and organizations providing aid and assistance. We continue to pray for everyone impacted by this.
    Mama V

• Reply Shelly August 30, 2017 at 6:47 am

Oh…and in case you want to update as new ways to give come about. I just saw Yeti is donating 100% of sales on Sept 1st to the hurricane relief and the Bobby Bones show is also selling the Texas Forever shirts but their proceeds will benefit the Red Cross

• Reply Angelique August 30, 2017 at 7:02 am

Yes, the devastation is unreal and heartbreaking. Plus, this morning I saw that Port Arthur is now under water too. Thank you so much for sharing all of these ways to help out Houston and South Texas. We’re gathering things up today to deliver to a donation spot in Austin too. I wrote about it my blog today as well in case anyone reading here is in Austin. Again, thank you for sharing these tips with your community of readers. XO

• Reply Erin Port August 30, 2017 at 7:09 am

We have family in both Houston and Beaumont. Thankfully so far they are ok but their pictures are devestating and as I talked to them last night, felt so helpless to do anything. The one anoutvfiaoers just got me! Off to look into it! -erin

• Reply Karah Stracener August 30, 2017 at 7:13 am

Thank you for posting all the ways to help. My hometown of Baytown is just devastated. It has been so hard to see friends and family lose everything. My heart aches for all the people affected by Harvey.

• Reply Kerrie August 30, 2017 at 7:21 am

Thank you for highlighting the importance of blood donations as well. Natural disasters always lead to critically low supplies across the nation. It doesn’t matter if you donate to a local blood bank or a national one like the Red Cross, each and every unit helps. Local banks will start supplementing the national banks that are responding to the relief effort, which can leave local banks short on supply. Blood donation saves lives and is a great way to help from afar, especially if you don’t have additional funds to financially aide in the recovery. Thank you for this post Shay, it is a great round up of ways to help our countrymen and women who are hurting. I’m praying hard.

• Reply Jessica August 30, 2017 at 7:22 am

Additional Shop for a Cause… God Bless Texas Tee! 100% of the net proceeds from this ware will go straight to The Hurricane Harvey relief fund through the Red Cross. This is a pre-order with a planned ship date of Friday, September 1st.

• Reply Kaci August 30, 2017 at 7:27 am

How would someone in NC donate physical items? I’ve donated money, but would love to send clothes/shoes/etc.

• Reply Laura August 30, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Not sure where you are but Fleet Feet Sports in Chapel Hill/Carrboro is collecting shoes and new socks.

• Reply Donna August 30, 2017 at 7:34 am

Thank you Shay! I am a daily reader and seldom comment but I live in Alvin, just south of Houston. We’ve been spared as far as our house goes and are so thankful! We haven’t been able to get out of our neighborhood since Sunday, but are hoping the water goes down around us today. The sun is shining this morning and has never been a more welcome sight. I have a 27 year old daughter and she and her husband saved for several years to buy a home and it now has three inches of water in it in Pearland. My oldest daughter set up a fundraiser for them, they don’t have flood insurance as so many don’t. Nobody expected we’d ever get this amount of flooding. Here’s the link to it if anyone would like to give just a small amount it would be greatly appreciated. https://www.youcaring.com/rachelandbenarnold-918528

• Reply Amanda August 30, 2017 at 7:47 am

I’ve heard some incredible stories of help and hope but there is so much sadness. Praying for Houston every day

• Reply Laci August 30, 2017 at 7:51 am

Prayers for Houston!!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick August 30, 2017 at 7:58 am

I can’t stop watching the news. It’s just crushing. Great post, friend!! I’m going to go check out those gorgeous little bracelets.

That Inspired Chick

• Reply Catherine Benoit August 30, 2017 at 8:01 am

Hi there! I am loyal follower of your blog in Houston and really appreciate your support!! My friend in Dallas also created a FB group to help teachers in Houston by adopting classrooms to directly help those in need. The FB group is called Hurricane Harvey Teachers in Need.

• Reply Laura @ Laura Likes Design August 30, 2017 at 8:06 am

Lifting TX up in prayer! I have a friend that lives in Houston!

LauraLikesDesign.com/blog

• Reply Lindsey Gumer August 30, 2017 at 8:09 am

Thank you for sharing all the ways that people can help. It is so devastating! The people of Houston and surrounding areas will need our help for a long time.

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams August 30, 2017 at 8:20 am

Praying for Texas <3 Thank you for this list of ways to help!

• Reply Melanie Smith August 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

Thank you Shay. Prayers from Northeast Arkansas.

• Reply Lisa August 30, 2017 at 8:46 am

thank you so much for posting UMCOR – just in case your readers don’t know . . .every dollar donated to UMCOR goes straight to relief – no salaries are paid from the money, no overhead, etc.

• Reply heidi August 30, 2017 at 8:54 am

It has literally been heartbreaking to see people’s feeds and stories of the flooding. Absolutely devestating. Thank you for posting the links for people to donate and help.
    Prayers for Houston

• Reply Jaren August 30, 2017 at 9:04 am

It’s just so heartbreaking. It’s hard to sit here and watch. My kids and I went to the store yesterday to pick up items needed for displaced families. Thanks for the list of more ways to help. I’ve linked to it to share with my readers as well.

• Reply Jennifer August 30, 2017 at 9:08 am

Thank you Shay for posting this! I am a LuLaRoe consultant and I’d like to donate clothing – any ideas on where to send them to?

• Reply Rebecca August 30, 2017 at 9:16 am

Thank you for sharing this information for (my city) Houston. Everyone around us needs help, whether we directly were flooded or knows someone who was. The volunteering and outpouring of love within the community has been God sent, and it will be a long road to recovery. I’m glad y’all decided to postpone WUW. I had already rescheduled all of my posts for this week to next week. Even though I wasn’t directly flooded, my heart didn’t feel right to post what was written before the storm to appear that life is normal when it is most definitely not. Our hearts are heavy. Praise God for wonderful people who are helping in any way they can. XO

• Reply Diana Barton August 30, 2017 at 9:18 am

Thank you so much for posting all of this information. For The Texas Diaper Bank, they also have an on-going Amazon List where people can buy directly from Amazon and it will ship to them. This might be easier for some people so I wanted to share. Thank you for all you do for our community!

• Reply Heather L August 30, 2017 at 9:31 am

An addition for your list. Mayor Turner has established a Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund through the Greater Houston Community Foundation: https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/

• Reply janet August 30, 2017 at 9:48 am

Thank you for sharing Shay. The pictures I have seen on the news and internet have been just heartbreaking. Prayers are continued for all.

• Reply Colleen August 30, 2017 at 9:54 am

So glad to see this post!! While this situation is beyond words, I am so humbled and inspired by the neighbors, strangers, and businesses stepping up to do really hard things because it is the right thing to do. Humanity at its finest! As a fellow Texan, I could not be more proud of my state (and so many other states) right now. While, I recognize my hand embroidery business (andotheradventures.etsy.com) is a small one in comparision to those that you have listed, I would like to mention that 100% of my sales this week will be going to Harvey relief efforts in the form of donation to Catholic Charities of Fort Worth (they help evacuee families set up their new lives long after the initial disaster)

• Reply Meg August 30, 2017 at 9:55 am

There are other stores such as Vineyard Vines and Nordstrom doing “shop for a cause” efforts too ;-). So many prayers being sent!!

• Reply Hillary Kinzel August 30, 2017 at 10:13 am

For your local/Irving area followers, I talked to a friend who works at BBMOI (Baptist Benevolence Ministries of Irving) to find out if there is a way we can help. Their biggest needs are Jam/Jelly, Ramen Noodles, Shampoo, and Deodorant to help those displaced by the hurricane. These items can be dropped off directly to BBMOI in Irving.

• Reply Bonnie August 30, 2017 at 10:28 am

Here is a link to Amazon for Texas Diaper Bank. You can order and it goes directly to them:

• Reply Gabrielle Storey August 30, 2017 at 10:32 am

Praying praying praying! Sent diapers yesterday through their Amazon wishlist. Just look up Texas Diaper and the one with the picture of the kid on the huggies box, they have different diapers they are in need of and allow you to send them right to them.

• Reply Heather August 30, 2017 at 10:50 am

Thank you so much for this post. I live in Houston (Cypress). We thought our house would flood this time, so took precautions and moved almost everthing upstairs. It was a surreal feeling to watch boats go down my street and to hear rescue helicopters over head. We were fortunate as our house did not flood. I am so thankful, but my heart breaks for all of those here (and all of the other cities that were affected too) that lost so much.
    Please continue to pray as many people are still under mandatory evacuations as their homes could have water in them soon from the levee and rivers (up to rooftops!). I have to say it has never made me more proud to be a Houstonian and Texan. Watching people unite together and help one another out has been incredible to watch.
    Thanks to your sweet family for helping out.❤

• Reply Colleen Wojdyla August 30, 2017 at 10:54 am

Also, the Texas Diaper Bank has an Amazon wishlist. So those of you both near and far can help and save on shipping. https://smile.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2GACHT2Y0BS9B?_encoding=UTF8&filter&ref_=cm_sw_r_fa&sort=default&type=wishlist

• Reply Natalie Baguley August 30, 2017 at 10:58 am

Shay, I’ve been waiting for you to post about this all week. So thank you! And thanks for spreading the word about additional resources that many have not heard of.

• Reply KayVonne August 30, 2017 at 11:00 am

I read yesterday that it really helps the shelters to have donations of “like” items pre-sorted and in separate bags. I thought that was a great tip!

• Reply Cheryl Cramer August 30, 2017 at 12:30 pm

My prayers and heart go out to all. Daystar is matching donations and 100% of your donation will go towards helping.
    They will not take any of it for themselves. http://www.daystar.com/giving/
    Please donate. Nothing is too small. If everyone does what they can then God will do the rest.
    God blesses others through our giving. This is what true love looks like. People helping people. No matter their, race, religion or how they voted. People just loving people. Praise God!

• Reply Sara Hornbacher August 30, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Hi Shay!!!! Just wanted to give you the link to my sisters Etsy shop, where all proceeds from her Texas tough shirt will be going to help those in need! We are in Kansas and praying hard for Texas!! Here is the link http://www.etsy.com/shop/hazelandjanehomespun

• Reply Annie August 30, 2017 at 3:12 pm

I am a daily reader, but have never commented. Thank you for this post and great info on how to help. XOXO, Houston

• Reply Ashley August 30, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I wouldn’t have known these resources without your help. Just purchased a “Texas Forever” shirt. Prayers to Houston, and thanks for letting us know how to help.

• Reply Lindsey August 31, 2017 at 9:05 am

Megan from Willow Crowns is donating 100% of her “Texas Has Heart” leather clip trio to victims of the hurricane. She always has adorable stuff!

• Reply Sydney August 31, 2017 at 9:52 am

The Church of Jesus Christ of a Latter Day Saints have been sending in aid from donations near and far. I know many of their local church buildings are opening doors for those who have had to evacuate their homes. Sending prayers to all those who are affected by this!

• Reply Tammy August 31, 2017 at 9:55 am

Also, James Avery is selling a texas charm for $40 and all $40 of that will go directly to the needs of folks in the South. Thanks for all these other links, very helpful!

• Reply Romi August 31, 2017 at 11:08 am

Thank you for sharing this information on how to help. I made a donation to the first charity you listed; Samaritan’s Purse. I will continue to pray for those who have been affected by the hurricane.

• Reply Amanda August 31, 2017 at 11:45 am

For anyone who would like to mail clothing, shoes, non-perishables, diapers, feminine hygeine products, etc, there is a comedian who lives in Houston who has been helping with rescue efforts who is accepting donations via mail and in person at the following address:
    MOBANGMEDIA.COM
    C/O KINGKERAUN
    2646 S. LOOP WEST
    SUITE 100
    HOUSTON TX 77054
    He has been posting videos of how he is helping on his Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/kingkeraun.

As a fellow Texan, I am saddened by the current situation for people in my state, but so proud of how everyone is coming together to help out.

• Reply Carolyn V August 31, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Lilly Pulitzer has created a “Lilly Loves Texas Colie Top” and all net proceeds will benefit the American Red Cross (Pre-order here: http://po.st/ColieTop).

You can also shop this Saturday, September 2nd, at all Lilly Pulitzer retail stores and lillypulitzer.com where 15% of all sales will go to the American Red Cross.

• Reply Kristine August 31, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Love all the different ways to help. ❤️
    My daughter sent me a link for this organization https://www.undiesforeveryone.org
    People are donating clothes but of course no undies. They normally help school aged children but providing for all ages at this time. They are based in Houston and expanding also to Dallas.

• Reply Lisa Richardson August 31, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Great ways to help, Shay. We’re praying for your state and all those sweet people.

• Reply Kacy August 31, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for this post – from a fan of yours down in Houston! James Avery is also donating 100% of sales from their “Deep in the Heart” of Texas charm through September. http://www.jamesavery.com/product/Deep-in-the-Heart-of-Texas-Charm/156807.uts?&internalLink=Fall17_HOME_MC1S2_HurricaneHarvey_DeepintheHeartCM

• Reply Patrice Bennett August 31, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for the concrete ways to help. I felt so helpless watching so many in need of help.
    #wifeoftexan, #momofbalorstudent, #texaslover
    We Love you Texas and we’re praying for you!!

• Reply Sara Wolf August 31, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I lived in Houston for several years and brought 2 of my 4 babies home from the hospital while we were there. We had the most amazing friends while we lived there. In fact, when our home was damaged in Hurricane Ike 8 years ago, our friends went in before we got back in town and started the clean up process for us. It is comforting to know how GOOD the people in TX are and to see so many ready & willing to help in this devastating situation. I have a number below that can be called and a volunteer will take your information and create a work order to send a volunteer crew to assist – cutting tree limbs, removing carpet, whatever needs to be done. The crews will be groups from Catholic Charities, Mormon Helping Hands etc. I hope this information will be helpful and I pray for the wonderful people of TX.

Hotline numbers:
    800-451-1954
    844-965-1386

• Reply Gina September 1, 2017 at 5:29 am

Houston was home for us from 2001 – 2009. So many of my friends have flooded homes. Thank you for doing this. I have never been so proud to be a Texan!

• Reply Katrina Goodman September 1, 2017 at 6:10 am

Thank you so much for this post. I live east of Houston in Baytown/Mont Belvieu. It was on the Today show for the most rain in the continental US, but we aren’t getting a lot of media coverage. About 90% of my neighborhood flooded (and it is quite large), but somehow my house didn’t. We have been at our neighbors’ and friends’ houses ripping up carpet, cutting sheetrock, and throwing away things that aren’t salvageable. It is absolutely crazy! Thank you so much for this post!!!!

• Reply Colleen September 2, 2017 at 9:32 am

Katrina… my husband grew up in Baytown. We just packed up a huge truck of supplies here in Fort Worth that is heading down there this weekend. So please know that your sweet town is absolutely not forgotten!

• Reply Lisa Osborn September 1, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I live in SW Houston. Thankfully our home did not flood and we were able to take in two families who were and still are under mandatory evacuation. The Katy area and a very large portion of West Houston are still under water and will be for weeks. This is an ongoing and very serious situation. Coast Guard and military helicopters flying over our city non-stop. Strangers are helping strangers. It is just an unbelievable sight. Imagine standing in line at Target to hear the little 6 year old girl behind me talking about losing all of her toys to the flood, being so excited to buy some new ones.

I am blessed to be a 3rd generation Houstonian. My heart is full of pride. Thank you to everyone helping in anyway large or small. God bless Texas!

• Reply Gianna Costello September 2, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for posting! I used this post to choose where I was going to donate! I have my own little online boutique & on Thursday & Friday we donated 10% of all our sales to The Salvation Army’s Hurricane Relief efforts. Thank you!