Remember a few months ago when you and I had a big lunch discussion? I was flooded with emails, comments and Face Book messages about how pretty much you and I are over lunch. We’re tired of thinking about it, making it and even eating it. Lunch has just become so uninspiring.
But…what did I promise you? I told you that once the warm months of summer began, we would conquer lunch together. Between now and the end of July, I’m going to post lunch ideas every week, so by the time the new school year rolls around, we will have a variety of easy recipes for us and our little ones.
Plus…we’ll mix and match the heck out of some simple methods because…well, that’s what we do over here. (It just makes mom life so much easier!)
Here we go…my first lunch idea for you and your little ones.
First, I have my Ham and Swiss with Pesto sandwiches. As sides, I’ve popped some popcorn and added a few strawberries. Easy!
Here is what I love about this little sandwich:
1. It’s good hot or cold
2. Change the bread out to let’s say that Goldfish shaped bread or cookie cutter pieces of bread and your kids will think it’s extra special.
3. Add in a bit of fresh spinach or sliced cucumbers if you’re feeling extra fun…the pesto compliments everything.
4. Don’t have Swiss? No worries! Provolone, Cheddar or Monterey Jack would be delicious too.
5. Don’t have Pesto? Use hummus or a spicy mustard.
6. Don’t have a fresh loaf of bread? Use a dinner roll or like me, an Ezekiel English Muffin.
And the sides are easy and transport so well! Simple, delicious, lunch is done.
2 slices of bread (or an English muffin…or whatever you like)
Spinach, cucumbers, sliced bell pepper, etc. (optional)
If you’re making this hot, I slathered both sides of my English muffin with pesto, layered my ham and Swiss and then placed my sandwich under the panini press for about 2 minutes. You could also cook it like a grilled cheese in a hot skillet.
I had one the next day cold at the park…and it was just as delicious!
I’ve decided to stop making lunch complicated! Who’s with me?