Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin

We’re big fans of pork tenderloin in the slow cooker.  You don’t have to brown it first, you just stick it in first thing in the morning, add your liquids, cover and cook on high all day.  That’s it!  By the end of the day, you have the most tender and ready to eat supper around.  I’m telling you…you cannot screw up pork in the slow cooker.
On this particular evening, we served our pork over quinoa but you could serve it on buns as a sandwich, over a baked potato, over rice, over anything you want (or just eat it by itself!).
The apple cider gives the meat just a hint of fall flavor and then we finish it off with chopped green onions.  This meal looks fancy enough to serve to guests but is simple enough for even your busiest weeknights.
Enjoy!
This recipe serves about six big portions.

Shopping List
For the pork:
1 (2-3 pound) pork tenderloin (you might need two)
2 liters (about 8 cups) of apple cider, divided (you can use apple juice too)
1 cup of ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
For the quinoa:
salt and pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 cup of quinoa, rinsed under cold water and then drained
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water

In your slow cooker, place your tenderloin(s) and 6 cups of apple cider.  Cover and cook on high 6 to 10 hours (the longer, the better).

About 30 minutes to an hour before you’re ready to eat, remove the lid from the slow cooker and pull the meat out and into a bowl (it will be so tender and fall apart immediately).  Drain all of the liquid from the slow cooker.  Place the meat back in the empty slow cooker and shred up all of the meat with two forks.  Next, add your ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and remaining two cups of cider.  Cover and cook on low another 30 minutes to an hour.

Meanwhile, if you want to serve this over Quinoa, add your rinsed quinoa and chicken stock to a small pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.  Once it begins to boil, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer another 15 minutes.  Do not remove the lid while it’s simmering.  After 15 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Drizzle in just a tiny bit of EVOO or a tablespoon of butter and a nice pinch of salt and pepper.

Serve your shredded pork tenderloin straight from the slow cooker over quinoa.

This meal just screams autumn…in the best possible way.

And the leftovers are even better :).

Enjoy!

Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin Recipe, Apple Cider Pork Tenderloin
  • Narci September 22, 2015 at 10:40 am

Yum!! This is perfect for a busy, Fall night! Delish!

• Tamara Rodrigues September 22, 2015 at 11:04 am

This looks so yummy! What kind of mustard do you add?

• Lyndsey Parks September 22, 2015 at 11:48 am

Can I just say how great it is that you're able to do your posts so early in the morning? For us who finally get our husbands out the door and sit down for breakfast then realize you don't have dinner planned yet–I can read this and know I still have plenty of time to pop all the ingredients in and have a lovely meal for when he returns! That may or may not have happened to me today……. (Hint: it did!) 😀

• Elizabeth Whisler September 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I'm just curious about the mustard, I'm not a huge mustard fan and while I'm sure 1 tablespoon definitely doesn't overpower the meat, I just feel better asking. Silly I know. Also, what kind of mustard? Yellow? Dijon? Thanks!!!

• Mix and Match Mama September 22, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I used just basic yellow mustard but Dijon would work too!

• Melanie Carr September 22, 2015 at 6:53 pm

What a great flavor combination – the apple cider with the Worcestershire, mustard and catsup. It definitely sounds like fall and it's wonderful to have such an easy meal idea for a weeknight dinner!

• Andrea Clark September 23, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Making this for dinner tonight but wanted to double check the temperature. I have never done ten hours on high temperature in my crockpot and am afraid it will overcook the pork????

• Mix and Match Mama September 23, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Yup! That's right!! The pork will be so tender!

• Andrea Clark September 24, 2015 at 2:57 pm

It was delicious! Another successful dinner thanks to your culinary genius!

• Anu Talreja September 24, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Would this work with a whole boneless pork loin?

• Bonnie September 26, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Do you think if the pork loin was put on low that it could cook for about 24 hours? Too many things on my mind and I put the apple cider and pork in the slow cooker before I looked at the time.

• Mix and Match Mama September 26, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Hmmm…that's a long time to run you slow cooker. I would probably move it to high, finish cooking it and then just reheat it tomorrow. This reheats beautifully!

• Rebecca September 26, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I only tried the quinoa but it was really good! The little additions make a big difference!

• Bonnie September 30, 2015 at 12:49 am

Hey Shay!
    Have you ever had anyone misread apple cider and instead use apple code vinegar? Yeah, that would just be ridiculous. #myepicfail #pulledporkwithkick

• Bonnie September 30, 2015 at 12:56 pm

'Apple Cider Vinegar'

• Amy September 12, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Oh my, I’m glad I read your comment…..I was thinking apple cider vinegar too.

• Olivia October 2, 2015 at 9:41 am

Looking forward to making this! When you write "you may need two" – do you mean two 2-3 lb tenderloins, or two tenderloins with the total weight being 2-3lbs? Thank you!

• Mix and Match Mama October 2, 2015 at 9:50 am

Two tenderloins. Sometimes the weight varies, so you might need more than one to get to the correct weight. Enjoy!

• Olivia October 2, 2015 at 9:59 am

Thank you!

• Mary October 6, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Will this work if the pork is frozen? I always put frozen chicken in my crock pot and it works well, but I have never tried frozen pork and that is what I have in my freezer.

• Mix and Match Mama October 7, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Girl! That stinks!!! I hate to tell you but you need to start over. It's hard to hide that much vinegar in one recipe!

• Jennifer Gould September 20, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Why didn’t I read the comments before I made this?!? I used apple cider vinegar too. Redo next week!