Back to School Everything!

Back to School Everything

Two weeks from today, we head back to school…

IMG_6386edit

…this was Ashby two years ago on the first day of school right after we dropped off the big kids and were walking out.

This is exactly how I’m going to feel two weeks from today when we drop her off at kindergarten…

…she’s just getting so BIG!!!  Ugh.  My mama heart.

Every year, I always share our BACK TO SCHOOL TRADITIONS and then ask for yours too.  Today, I’m going to share traditions and talk back to school shopping, supplies and that kind of stuff.  On Wednesday this week, we have How We…Wednesday and the topic is HOW WE PACK LUNCHES, so stay tuned for that!  If you’re a blogger, make sure you link up!

In the meantime, over the years, we have developed a few back to school traditions and routines.  These are things my kiddos look forward to all year long!  I’m going to share ours and then I hope you comment and share yours too!  Here we go…

Back-to-School-Traditions

Ah!  First day of kindergarten and first grade in August 2015.

Every year, we have this for breakfast on the first day of school…
I make them for St. Paddy’s Day and my kids love them so much that they request them for other special days (always green mind you).  So, it has become a first day of school tradition for us.
2014
We take our annual front door pic :).  (This sign came off of Etsy a few years ago.  There are a wide varietyof them on there now!)
IMG_1605
2015
IMG_6350
2016
2017
We take a picture of their big kid back packs
IMG_1597
2015
IMG_6360
2016
…we always buy the backpacks from PB Kids.
And then…we drop off as a family…
I also asked them these questions on their first day…
1. How old are you?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What is your favorite food?
4. What is your favorite TV show?
5. What is your favorite holiday?
6. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom?
7. What is your favorite thing to do with Dad?
8. What is your favorite thing to do with Kensington/Smith?
9. What is your favorite thing to do with Ashby?
10. What are you most excited about this year in school?
11. What are you most nervous about this year in school?
12. What do you want to be when you grow up?
13. What is your favorite movie?
14. What is your favorite toy/stuffed animal?
15. What is your favorite thing to wear?
16. Who are you going to marry when you grow up?
17. What are you going to name your kids when you grow up?

After school, we always have their favorite cookies…

Butterscotch Maple No Bake Cookies

…waiting and we sit at the bar and talk about their first day.

Also on the first day of school, after drop off, many of the moms and younger siblings meet up for breakfast at our favorite local diner…

IMG_6381

…because coffee and pancakes helps us get out of that melancholy first day of school mood 🙂 .

So, those are our traditions.  Now, back to school shopping.

This year, all three big kids did it a little differently…

This was Kensington and me after her back to school shopping on Thursday.  She wanted to go to the mall and shop in person.  We bought shoes at Nordstrom and then so many cute dresses at Gap!  The dresses are light enough to wear with her monkey bar buddies (my fave!) until it’s cooler and then, she can pair them with leggings and cardigans.  Here are her shoes (just scroll and click)…

When I asked my almost 3rd grade boy when he wanted to go back to school shopping, he said…OCTOBER.
Ha!
He said since it’s still so warm here, he didn’t need any new shorts and shirts, so he wanted to wait until it’s cooler to buy jeans and stuff.
Who am I to argue with that?!
He loves Abercrombie Kids jeans (just an FYI) and their hoodies too, so I’m assuming we’ll head there later this fall.  He also likes to wear Under Armour to school on occasion, so there’s that too.
Sweet Ashby!  This is her first official year of back to school shopping, and she was EASY!  I asked her if she wanted to go to the mall like Kensington and she said she only wanted new shoes.  So, I ordered her a few more pieces from Matilda Jane’s August collection and we got her some shoes too…
As for backpacks?  The girls all wanted…
Pottery Barn Kids backpacks.  Kensington got the “medium” size and Ashby the “small”.  Smith wanted an Under Armour one this year.  He got this one with the orange logo.
Whew!  I think that about covers it!
Before we go, don’t forget to check out this…

…my BACK TO SCHOOL PINTEREST BOARD!  I pin all sorts of ideas from traditions to crafts to recipes and more!  See it HERE.
So, what are your back to school/first day of school traditions?  I know you ladies have some!!  Please comment and share!
I better go now and soak up these next two weeks 🙂 .

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog August 6, 2018 at 4:51 am

Oh my gosh, my heart breaks at the first picture of Ashby crying two years ago! She’s sooo cute! It’s good to see she loves school now! 🙂

• Reply Carrie August 6, 2018 at 6:41 am

I’m a teacher and I LOVE how you celebrate the beginning of a new school year! It’s hard for all of us to say goodbye to summer 🙁 Reading your blog always gives me something to smile about! Thank you!

• Reply Jen August 6, 2018 at 5:31 am

Did Smith get new sneakers? If so, what brand? My boys are so rough on their shoes! I need to find them a good pair!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 5:32 am

Nope. His feet grew at the end of the year and so, we bought him new Nike. When we went to the store to buy Ashby’s shoes, I offered, but he said he wanted to wait. Boys are so easy 🙂 .

• Reply Marina August 6, 2018 at 5:34 am

Did Smith get a matching lunchbox? Or does he reuse last years? Also, what water bottles do you get your kids? I need something that wont leak half way through the year!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 6:02 am

He got a Under Armour one! It doesn’t “match” but it’s UA like his backpack!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner August 6, 2018 at 5:43 am

We always take pictures on the first day of school together. My brother and i are now in college and we still text a picture of ourselves to our family on the first day of classes. Some traditions never change

• Reply Elspeth Mizner August 6, 2018 at 5:44 am

We always take pictures on the first day of school! My brother and i are now in college and we still text a picture back home to our parents on the first day of classes.

• Reply Cherry August 6, 2018 at 6:17 am

I LOVE that you do this!

• Reply Kristen Hardison August 6, 2018 at 6:05 am

Hey Shay! I love your back to school ideas! One more that we do….when my boys started kindergarten I bought them a t-shirt that says “Class of 2029” (and now Class of 2031 for our newest almost kindergartener). I bought them in size Adult L. Each year in early August I take their picture wearing the shirt in the same spot in our yard. The idea is that the shirt will be giant now but they will grow into it by the time they are graduating from HS. This is our third year with the shirt for our oldest and the growth you can see in those pictures is AMAZING! I’m going to send you a picture so you can see. I got a super basic one for them because #boys but they make adorable ones for girls on Etsy that would look precious on Ashby! Praying she has the BEST year yet! I’m also going to email you some cute ideas for a beginning K student to help ease her nerves!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 6:08 am

That is the CUTEST idea!! I have never seen that before!!

• Reply Lisa N August 6, 2018 at 8:35 am

Love this idea with the class shirt!

• Reply Susann August 6, 2018 at 10:09 am

I do the same thing with a t-shirt, size large, for my son! It says class of 2026.

• Reply Jennifer August 7, 2018 at 1:49 pm

This is an AWESOME idea, Kristen! I totally teared up! 😭😭😭 Defintely going to do this one. Thanks Shay for so many incredible ideas as always! Can’t wait to check out your Pinterest page!

• Reply Eileen McCullough August 6, 2018 at 6:10 am

We make a back to school cake to eat the night before to celebrate going back to school. The kids love to help me pick the cake design each year. We’ve had a school bus, math book, pencil, a box of crayons, and a ruler.

• Reply Danielle August 6, 2018 at 6:13 am

My son is starting Pre-K this year! I have so many mixed emotions! I still have some time for my 18 month old to get there but I am sure it will be here before I know it. I am a teacher so his first day of school is also going to be my first day of school which means I won’t get to be there for drop off-but my husband will. I plan on doing the chalkboard too! I would love a post on school lunches! Now I have to send him a lunch each day and I am completely lost! He is not a “sandwich” kid!

• Reply Christy Latimore August 6, 2018 at 6:23 am

THANK YOU for mentioning A&F kids jeans. Our go to is always GAP kids for Talor’s jeans, but we tried about 10 pairs on this weekend and for some reason they just weren’t working fit wise. Now I have something else to try!! Thank you and enjoy your last two weeks…and tell Andrew there’s only 26 days before K-State football starts! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 6:29 am

They are Smith’s favorite! I think they wash and dry well too! Annnnnd he’s already counting down!!!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt August 6, 2018 at 6:26 am

I’m a teacher and I even enjoy a little back to school shopping for myself! I also ordered myself a new lunchbox so my lunches will be in style, too haha!!
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Alexis deZayas August 6, 2018 at 6:33 am

I so enjoyed reading this! It’s so crazy how much your big two have grown since I started reading!

• Reply Erika Slaughter August 6, 2018 at 6:35 am

Too funny!!! Remember I always decorate the front door?? A reader recommended it so I did it Ebby Lee’s kindergarten year and it stuck!! Also-there’s always something in my slow cooker for dinner on the first day! Because I like to start the year momming hard. 😉

• Reply Bethany August 6, 2018 at 1:29 pm

How do you decorate it? This sounds fun!

• Reply Alexis deZayas August 6, 2018 at 6:36 am

I so enjoyed reading this! It’s crazy how much your big two have grown since I started reading!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams August 6, 2018 at 6:42 am

I saw the title today and thought yikes Texas starts so early! and then I don’t have kids so I don’t have any current traditions. My mom would always take pictures of us and they are fun to look back upon now.

• Reply Lissa August 6, 2018 at 11:06 am

Arizona kids go back to school today & tomorrow!

• Reply Jimena August 6, 2018 at 6:56 am

All of your kids are so cute! (Madeley OMG) but Kensington seem like the sweetest girl ever. I’m a teacher so I just think I have sixth sense for that. I read your blog EVERYDAY from COSTA RICA 🇨🇷. You are an inspiration since I’ve always wanted to adopt.
    Thank you!
    XOXO

• Reply Sara August 6, 2018 at 6:58 am

Hi, I’m Sara from Italy. I love your blog so much. I have a question: do you change backpack every year? Kisses from Italy

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 7:25 am

I let my kids get a new one every year (except for when they’re in preschool bc they don’t use them as much or are as hard on them).

• Reply Carrie August 6, 2018 at 7:00 am

We take the pictures with a chalkboard but sometimes we do it the day before so the morning is less stressful! My girls wear the same thing on the first day as the last day. It is awesome to see the growth!

Out church also blesses back packs the sun before school starts. We only replace back packs if needed. My youngest will need a new one this year but my oldest will not get one until 6th grade. Lands end replaced her old one for free 2 years ago as the strap broke!

We are getting new Pack-it lunch boxes and ez lunch containers ( bento type boxes but they are dishwasher safe and inexpensive)

• Reply Sarah Finney August 6, 2018 at 7:03 am

It’s interesting that your kids get new backpacks every year! I love the PB backpacks as do most of my kids friends but the nice thing about them is how well they hold up! Ours are going on 3 years.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 7:25 am

I feel like they’re so gross by the end of the year. My kids must kick theirs across the ground on the walk home from school…

• Reply Susie August 6, 2018 at 8:07 am

PB backpacks are the best! Throw them in the washer and they come out looking new. I like to do that around Christmas break and then at the end of the year and I’ve never had a problem with them holding up.

• Reply Morgan August 6, 2018 at 9:32 am

good to know! thank you!

• Reply Sunni August 6, 2018 at 7:03 am

We went back to school shopping Thursday, too! We went to North Park and Nordstrom’s was wiped out. 🙁 Glad you found some great things!

• Reply Chelsea August 6, 2018 at 7:39 am

I don’t have kids, nor will I be going back to school this fall. But I remember the excitement and anticipation of a new school year, and this post gave me all the feels! I loved it!

• Reply Jennifer Barber August 6, 2018 at 7:43 am

Shay, do you do anything for the teachers on the first day? I like to do a little something to brighten their day but not sure what. I’ve done iced cookies, sweets, etc. Just looking for other ideas this year. Thanks!

• Reply Megan August 6, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Agree! I would love a post on teacher gifts!!

• Reply Jennifer August 6, 2018 at 7:48 am

I Loved this! My little 4th grader got an UA backpack last year for the first time (It’s was always pottery barn kids before that) and it held up soooooo well he didn’t even need a new one is year! Smith will love it ….It’s a boy thing 😉

• Reply Denise August 6, 2018 at 7:57 am

Where is that cute blue and white striped dress from? I’ve been looking for something like that for the longest time!

• Reply Desiree | Beautifully Seaside August 6, 2018 at 7:57 am

So many fun memories! I miss those day! My youngest graduated last year from highschool and has been away for Summer B! I can’t wait to pick him up this week! No matter how big they get they’ll always be your baby 🙂 Have a fun back to school time! XO

• Reply K August 6, 2018 at 7:59 am

So cute! Only one comment….the small backpack is often too small for all of the “stuff”kindergarteners have. It can get difficult for the teacher to stuff in a folder, jacket, sometimes a change of clothes and even an art project. As a teacher, I prefer a bigger size. The smalls fit them but not their stuff!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 8:59 am

This is the first year we’ve upgraded to medium. K has always been able to fit her stuff (including her lunch) in the small (not the preschool size!).

• Reply Renee August 6, 2018 at 7:59 am

I know this post is about the kids, ha, but where is your dress from in the pic of you and Kensington? The blue and white striped one?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 8:58 am

Loft!

• Reply Toni :0) August 6, 2018 at 8:04 am

So curious why the kids get new back packs every year if you get them from PBK? Those bags last years and years and could even be passed down to your younger kids and it doesn’t look like your kids necessarily outgrow them so just wondering why the extra expense? Cheers to savoring the last few weeks of summer. I hate how it goes by in a blink.

• Reply Sheaffer Sims August 6, 2018 at 8:05 am

Carter didn’t get a new backpack this year, but I honestly haven’t even looked at it since the last day of school, so I guess I need to go check it out and make sure he doesn’t need a new one! This is going to be the first year that I might not make him wear a collared shirt on the first day of school. We’ll see….. 🙂

• Reply Leslee August 6, 2018 at 8:07 am

What do you do with their old backpacks? Our PBKids hold up so well…my 4 kids use them for two years and then we get new ones. Why do I have a hard time getting rid of them though?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 8:56 am

They use them for sports and travel!

• Reply Sarah August 6, 2018 at 8:11 am

Can’t wait to see pictures of your cute kiddos on their first day! I’m a sixth grade teacher in Los Angeles and we’re already back! Meetings and class set-up last week, meeting kids on Wednesday! Where did summer go?!

• Reply Melody August 6, 2018 at 8:12 am

Oh I love the traditions you do with your kiddos! We have our first one going to kindergarten this year. He would love cookies at the end of his day. I’m definitely going to do some of the things you do! Thanks for sharing these with us! ❤️

• Reply Tori August 6, 2018 at 8:26 am

Hi Shay,
    I have been such a fan of your blog this entire summer! The pic of sweet Ashby
    Reminds me of our daughter in her first day of school…she will be starting 6th grade this Fall!!

Each year in the night before the start of school, we ask her what her favorite and least favorite thing about summer was. We then ask her to tell us 5 goals she has for the upcoming school year – she has said anything from ‘find 1 new friend to be kind to’ to ‘not to forget her locker combo!

Last, I always put a note in her lunch bag with a photo copy of a favorite pic from summer ♥️. Can’t believe how this summer has flown by!!

• Reply Ashley Royer August 6, 2018 at 9:02 am

We let the kids take turns each year picking a fun breakfast. Last year was my daughter’s senior year and it worked that it was her year to pick! We also do 1st day pics (I’ve already warned my daughter that I still expect a pic 😂!) in front of the door. I try to snap a backpack pic of them as they walk into school.

• Reply Ann Marie Tennison August 6, 2018 at 9:10 am

Shay!! My heart can’t take it! How are we dropping off these littles??? How can it be? Gotta get a first day of kinder sign ready to go for H&L!

• Reply Margaret August 6, 2018 at 9:23 am

My own kids are in college now and the oldest will send me the first day picture, but the youngest is very hard-headed…
    I teach first graders and one of my traditions is to get to school early enough that day to stand over each chair and pray for that child by name. This is just as important for me as it is for them.
    I hope your children have a wonderful school year!!

• Reply Patty Anderson August 6, 2018 at 12:30 pm

We need more teachers like you, Margaret! My kids are all grown now, but we always prayed for their teachers before school started. When we told the teachers we did so, it was amazing how many shared their faith with us as well. We might never have known otherwise since talking about faith is so frowned upon in public schools.

• Reply CARRIE A MONTANEZ August 6, 2018 at 9:26 am

Do you find that the Monkeybar buddies run true to size? We’ve bought similar ones before and the sizing was way off!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 10:30 am

Yes!! I’ve passed them all down too. Madeley is currently wearing ones I bought for Kensington when she was four! They have been washed and dried a million times and still look great!

• Reply Beth K August 6, 2018 at 9:26 am

I’m putting in a big Amazon order today to prepare for back to school. Before I submit my order I was looking for some hair product suggestions. Did you do a post recently? I tried to search for your favorites, but the posts showing up are from a couple of years ago. I will keep looking. Thanks for all of the great product suggestions!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 10:30 am

You need Matrix sleek and shine shampoo and conditioner!! it’s amazing!!!

• Reply Debbra Weber August 6, 2018 at 9:35 am

Ashby’s sad face will be me next week. My oldest is a senior this year. It goes so fast, doesn’t it?! Have a great school year!! 🙂

• Reply Pamm August 6, 2018 at 9:39 am

Being a grandmother, I love that social media allows me to “live” life with my four granddaughters not only everyday through pics/comments, but also on occasions like the first day back to school, which was always a big deal when my girls were growing up (right down to the matching hair bow). I also love reading all of your traditions & ideas, but my favorite part of this post (now that I have a grandson – 8 months) is the comment “boys are so easy” …. I’m telling you, even his first 8 months of life have been so easy-going. I think I will start a new tradition and take off work the first day of school and take my daughters out for breakfast after drop off; inviting other mama’s that would like to come along. I think your breakfast idea is perfect, especially for those mama’s that had to walk away from a crying child – because coffee makes everything better – right ?!?

• Reply Jessica August 6, 2018 at 9:42 am

My kids also get their pictures taken with the adult sized t-shirts with their graduation year on the front. This is my favorite tradition! I pose them in the same place so you can see how much they have grown.
    As a teacher I bake chocolate chip cookies for my lunch crew. The first day can be exhausting and it gives them a pick me up. I also let the kids pick out a small gift for their teacher. We make them a card and try to have a cute saying with it.
    Thanks for the ideas and have fun back at school!

• Reply jennifer curtis August 6, 2018 at 9:42 am

Every year on the first day of school, my son comes home to one of those big chocolate chip cookie cakes that have the current year he’s in at school written in icing. He just started his Freshman year, so with Kindergarten, this makes his 10th cookie 🙂 I have a small photo album that only holds the first day photo and the cookie cake photo. These will be displayed at his graduation open house in four more years…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 10:29 am

This is such a sweet idea too!!!

• Reply Stacey August 6, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hey Shay,

Could you let us know how the MJ sale is going? I couldn’t come this morning but planned on coming by this afternoon if there was anything left?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 10:29 am

Sure!

• Reply Tish Ferry August 6, 2018 at 10:37 am

Love all of these ideas! I’m working on my Back to School dinner game! I have your Crockpot cookbook but wonderef if you have tried an InstaPot and if so, if you have any recipes to share. I haven’t gotten on the bandwagon for the InstaPot yet and am trying to decide if worth it or just sticking to my tried and true Shay Crockpot recipes! 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 1:30 pm

I don’t…I’m so on the fence about getting one!

• Reply Sarah August 6, 2018 at 1:51 pm

LIFE CHANGING! I promise you. I was on the fence for the longest time..I wasn’t ready to two-time my crockpot, but I went back to work this summer after being home 9 years. I bought one and could have cried the first evening I used it after work. I.LOVE.IT. You will too.

• Reply Katie A August 6, 2018 at 1:20 pm

I have a high school sophomore (first year in HS here) starting and a kindergartner! I’ll be rocking in the corner after that 😭!

• Reply Bethany August 6, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Do you take Open House or First Day gifts to your teachers?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 6, 2018 at 1:30 pm

On the first day of school! It varies…last year, it was a cookbook with a Starbucks gift card. Kensington also made her teacher something last year (a necklace or a bracelet, I can’t remember which…).

• Reply Allena August 6, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I try to do as much back to school shopping online, ha. My son could care less about what he wears, so I usually wait for a Carter’s or Old Navy sale and buy a bunch of stuff, and he picks out his lunchbox on Amazon (we use those Packit ones that the sides are freezer packs – I LOVE them) – he’s a 4th grader like K this year (he’s actually about halfway in between K and S in age so I love watching them all grow up). My older daughter is starting Kindergarten this year (eek!) so we got some new clothes (still need to go pick out shoes) and her first day of school dress is so cute! She also got a Packit lunch box. Our kids go to Montessori schools with NO HOMEWORK, so we don’t ever need backpacks yay! We do pretty much the same stuff – questions the night before, pictures morning of, I’m thinking we need to add an after-school treat though, and I’m always bad at putting notes in their lunch boxes so I want to remember to do that this year. And I’ve been trying to think of something fun to do on Monday (their last day of summer), but I haven’t come up with anything yet, ha. I still need to get their hair cut too!

• Reply Carrie August 6, 2018 at 8:07 pm

The Pack-it lunch boxes are amazing. They often come home still really cold, awesome. Our school district revamped their homework system and our homework load is supposed to basically be getting lighter and lighter. Apparently 5th grade has basically no homework which my 5th grader is excited about!!

• Reply Tiffany August 6, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Don’t feel bad about getting new backpacks every year! I remember the excitement of getting new school supplies and a new backpack every year, so I always feel like I should do the same for my little girl. New notebooks, pens, and a new bag is such a great feeling no matter how old you are!

• Reply Angela Ellingson August 6, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Love this all! Back to school is coming up quick!! We homeschool, so lots of curriculum prep to do for me. We take a first day picture, but I’d love to incorporate more traditions. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Stephanie August 6, 2018 at 1:48 pm

We read The Kissing Hand every year on the night before first day of school. My girls will be in middle & high school this year and we STILL do it. Its a sweet book about Chester Raccoon and his mom before his first day of school and how she kisses his hand and if he misses her, he can hold his hand to his cheek and feel her love. At the end, he gives her a kissing hand for when she misses him! When the girls were little, we used to even trace our hands on construction paper and cut them out. I would put on lipstick and leave a kiss mark on their paper hand. They kept them in their bags all year. We LOVE this book and I hope my girls do this tradition with their kids oneway!!!

• Reply Carrie August 6, 2018 at 8:05 pm

I am a preschool special ed teacher and I use this book all the time, love it.

• Reply Abigail Carter August 6, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Love all of these ideas! I have been fixing those pb cookies of yours the first week & they are always a big hit! I am a teacher and I send my students “Jitter Glitter” to put under their pillow the night before school. It has a note attached that says: “The night before school can be hard to sleep, because of the jitters we have down deep. So under your pillow, sprinkle this glitter at night…you will wake up feeling fresh & just right! Mrs. Carter will sprinkle this jitter glitter under my pillow too…I can’t wait for our first day and the school year with YOU!” Kids and parents love this! You could easily change the words and just do it at home yourself! 😉

• Reply Carly August 6, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Every time a new month starts, I get a little sad that the year is going by so fast. Especially because I HATE these Northeast winters. But your opening month page in Eats always always always makes me excited for the upcoming month, no matter the season!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 7, 2018 at 4:41 am

Ahhhh! Thank you, Carly!

• Reply Stacie Hoffman August 6, 2018 at 11:40 pm

My daughter gets a new backpack, lunch bag and 2 water bottles every year from PB also. Truthfully, hers hold up beautifully also! I wash them peridocially and they look gorgeous! We just like getting a new one each year and her tastes change in patterns, designs etc. It makes her feel happy, excited and is a special tradition. Do I have an abundance of backpacks? Yes! One day they will be donated, but for now it is what makes us happy.

• Reply Julie Parker August 7, 2018 at 11:30 am

When I was a kid I lived getting a new backpack every year! My son is starting 7th grade. 😢 I bought him a Nike backpack at Ross’s for $18 when he was in kindergarten and he carried it every year till now! He liked it so it was easy. I washed it a couple of times a year. I was amazed at how well its held up.

• Reply Amy P August 7, 2018 at 11:09 pm

Loved reading this post..but it made me a little sad, too. Different stage in life now….my youngest just graduated high school in June & is heading off to college in a few short days. My oldest is about to graduate college in Dec & is engaged to be married in January! 😬😜 But! For many, many years….our favorite back to school tradition was letting my girls pick exactly what they wanted for dinner the night before school started. Our typical menu was hot dogs and macaroni and cheese when they were little…but they’d want to wear a fancy dress & we made the dinner “fancy”, no matter what it was. Candles, fresh flowers, and hot dogs on our best china plates. It was really a lot of fun & they got so excited about it every year! 👍🏼😍

• Reply Jessi's Design August 8, 2018 at 9:29 am

This is so great! Do y’all do teach gifts? First day..last day? Miss A starts preK next week and I’m trying to get in the know haha 🙂

• Reply Sara F August 10, 2018 at 9:35 am

Ahh so fun! As a new mom, I don’t have any back to school traditions yet (my son is only 10 months old), BUT as you know, we waited 3 long years for him, so I’m so thankful that someday I’ll get to have fun traditions like this with him! I love that you and K took a day to go to the mall and do you shopping together in person. My mom and I used to love doing that as well!

• Reply Melinda Penny August 10, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Hey! This may be an odd question… but I struggle knowing what “kind” of socks to put with girl shoes!!! :/ With her gray skechers, will she wear socks or no socks? If she wears socks, what kind?!?!?
    Thanks!
    Melinda

• Reply Mix and Match Mama August 11, 2018 at 6:35 am

She wears colorful and fun socks! Sometimes, she wears Zella girl socks from Nordstrom and other time, colorful socks from the Target dollar bin. She just likes them cheerful 🙂 .