Life lately.

It’s a little life lately.

Friends, thank you so much for the prayers yesterday.  I really cannot say enough about what this community means to me.  Your prayers and words of encouragement were felt by all of us.  Ashby and I are staying home today to snuggle and watch movies.

Here’s a little look at what we’ve been up to lately…

Frenchie waits all day long for her two  girls to come home from school…she likes Smith and Madeley, but her heart belongs to Ashby and Kensington.  Some days, kindergarten is just exhausting, so when Ashby puts herself down for a nap, Frenchie patiently waits nearby.

This was such a full circle moment for us!  A few Fridays ago, Kensington was the surprise mystery reader in Ashby’s kindergarten class.  Ashby was SO EXCITED!!!  Ashby’s teacher was Kensington’s kindergarten teacher…and that was the year, we left to get Ashby (so her teacher really was such a big part of the whole experience!).  Isn’t that cool?!  Kensington brought her own book from home to read to the class…and it was about how it’s okay to be different.  I love these two so much!

The two of us spend a great deal of time in the car waiting on the other three.  #lifeofthefourthchild

Friday night dinner date…us plus four other people 😉 .  I love that Smith is still at that sweet age where he thinks it’s so fun to be with his mama and fights to sit next to me at restaurants (which you really have to fight because Madeley will throw down if she’s not sitting by me.  Hahahaha!).

A hawk has made a nest in our yard…we like to sit out there and watch it.

Volleyball, volleyball, volleyball is on the brain these days!  How big does Kensington look?!

On Friday, these two girls asked to make muffins…and didn’t want me in the kitchen to help at all.  #mixandmatchdaughters

Sometimes, Kensington gets to help me teach the three year olds at church.  She is amazing!  Andrea and I typically sit back and let her take charge. Ha!

Four kids in their Sunday best!

We get so excited when Daddy makes dinner!  He was making us homemade pizza!

Madeley always makes herself so cozy!

When your brother has two baseball games and sister has two volleyball games, you bring a big bag of stuff and make your own happiness 🙂 .

Do you see the cheering section at the end of the volleyball court?

One of our favorite things to do is sit by the window and enjoy a cheeseboard.  Seriously, it’s like one of our favorite ways to connect.  Over cheese.  #noshame

Just a boy and his Yankees.

Smith is a professional Captain Underpants artist. I hope that gets him a college scholarship or something 😉 .

When your baby still acts like a baby sometimes.  Andrew soaked this up!

One more thing…

Quick Trader Joe's Gnocchi with Meat Sauce

…I made a Quick Trader Joe’s Gnocchi with Meat Sauce that you might want to make.  It’s the easiest little weeknight meal!

So…that’s life lately.  See you guys tomorrow. xo

• Reply Alexis deZayas April 4, 2019 at 4:58 am

These posts are the sweetest!! Hope Miss Ashby feels better today!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog April 4, 2019 at 5:21 am

Positive vibes all around! Your family’s the sweetest. 🙂

• Reply Sheaffer Sims April 4, 2019 at 5:33 am

I have a lot to say, but the Captain Underpants drawing is IMPRESSIVE!!!! Kensington looks 14, I want to see Madeley throw down, and now I want gnocchi for breakfast. The last 2 times I’ve been to Trader Joe’s they’ve been out of the cauliflower gnochhi and the cauliflower fried rice. WHAH! 🙁

• Reply Elspeth Mizner April 4, 2019 at 5:49 am

Sending all the positive vibes and prayers for Ashby as she recovers! Love your life lately posts! Always great to see everyone appreciate the busy moments of life and be present with where they are at. Have a great Thursday!!

• Reply Erika Slaughter April 4, 2019 at 6:04 am

I read this post thinking I wanted to comment on that or that and then we got to Smith’s sidewalk chalk drawing and I forgot everything else. I have no doubts that will get him a FULL RIDE!! That is GOOD!

• Reply Annaliese April 4, 2019 at 6:05 am

Did you ever end up going to see Dumbo?? How did you like it? Debating taking my 6/9 yr old boys to go see it but heard mixed reviews! Would love your opinion!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 7:31 am

We did!! I actually really liked it! The story is a little different because it focuses on a family who works at the circus (and there are no talking animals), but I thought it was sweet and I personally felt it was less sad than the cartoon.

• Reply Whitney April 4, 2019 at 6:45 am

What Sheaffer said except I want muffins for breakfast I didn’t have to make instead, ha!

• Reply Narci April 4, 2019 at 6:45 am

I swear Kensington looks like a teenager all of a sudden in that volleyball pic! When did that happen? And I love that pic of you and Smith! So sweet!

• Reply Holly April 4, 2019 at 6:54 am

These life lately posts are always so fun to read!! Praying for Ashby & your family!

• Reply Brice April 4, 2019 at 7:03 am

Shay, could you post sometime about what music you listen to? When I hear it in the background I always love it! I know you listen to the French cooking station on Pandora, are there any other favorites?!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 7:30 am

It’s always either the French Cooking Station or Steve Tyrell Radio on Pandora. Always. 🙂

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams April 4, 2019 at 7:13 am

That is the sweetest full circle with Kensington and Ashby!! I can’t believe how old Kensington looks after following your blog for so long! What great little family moments!

• Reply Melissa April 4, 2019 at 7:14 am

Just a little FYI, If you have a hawk in your yard, please watch your dogs. As small as they are, a hawk could pick them up. A friend of mine lost her cat due to a hawk.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 7:29 am

Yessssss!! That’s why we watch the hawk!! You’re exactly right!

• Reply Amanda Wilson April 4, 2019 at 7:34 am

Shay you are just so lucky to have your family come and watch your kids!! What a blessing you are all to each other! I love these posts!! Enjoy your snuggles with Ashby today!

• Reply Clare Butler April 4, 2019 at 8:07 am

Mix and Match daughters??!! I can’t even handle that! 😍😍😍

Also Smith and art skills! Super impressed 🙌

• Reply Alison April 4, 2019 at 8:18 am

What lip color are you wearing in the picture of you and Smith at dinner?! Your face looks so fresh and beautiful!

• Reply Emily April 4, 2019 at 8:32 am

Love these posts! So many bloggers have gotten away from everyday life content, so I always love these everyday posts!

• Reply Kelly April 4, 2019 at 9:20 am

I have been noticing how grown-up and mature Kensington has looked lately. Glimpses of what’s to come:). Hoping and praying that Ashby is feeling much better today. Happy Thursday, Shay!

• Reply Maureen Werner April 4, 2019 at 9:38 am

Oh my goodness, I love Kensington’s Maxi Dress! Where does it come from? Also, praying that Ashby and all of you felt the prayers and love! I know this season can be rough, but so glad to see all the happy things too!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 12:57 pm

It’s from Matilda Jane 🙂 . Thank you for your prayers!!

• Reply Laci April 4, 2019 at 9:39 am

WHOAAA that Captain Underpants drawing is incredible!!!

• Reply kara April 4, 2019 at 9:52 am

Have you heard about the lady that makes dolls that have the same differences as their owner? I saw it on CBS news. If a kiddo has a birthmark, or a surgery scar, or a difference in their limbs, etc., she makes dolls that look like them.

Here is her go fund me account. I bet you could use that to locate her. I think Miss Ashby might need a doll with a special arm just like her’s! https://ca.gofundme.com/msbezk

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Yes!!! I saw it on Today!!

• Reply Amanda @ That Inspired Chick April 4, 2019 at 10:28 am

I can’t get over how grown up K looks. She is such a beauty. I hope Ashby has a better day today!
    That Inspired Chick

• Reply Missy April 4, 2019 at 10:48 am

Love these posts too! What is your nail color in the picture with Smith, I love it! Also, is Kensington’s Sunday dress Matilda Jane? So pretty!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 12:56 pm

It’s a “dip” color, I don’t know the number!

• Reply Liz Thorson April 4, 2019 at 11:52 am

Shay, I was on the run yesterday and didn’t comment, but I carried you, Andrew and sweet Ashby in my heart all day long.💕💕. I hope she is in less pain today and wasn’t too sick yesterday? I love that Frenchie adores K and A. What a comfort Frenchie must be for Ashby while she heals from a procedure. ❤️🐾❤️ I loved all of the pics you shared today, especially the one of you and Smith! I love his two new front teeth! He is such a darling, handsome young man! I also love the pic of the four kids in their church clothes!❤️

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 4, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Thank you so much, Liz.

• Reply Janie April 4, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Shay, thanks for the update on Ashby, I have been thinking & praying hard for your sweet girl. So happy to see the pup-pups snuggling with her. Your entire family is an inspiration to me XO

• Reply Francesca April 4, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Hi! This is kind of random but are you still painting your own nails? Or do you get gel manicures? Happy Thursday!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 5, 2019 at 5:08 am

In December, I started going and getting them “dipped” at the salon. At first, I wasn’t sure about it, so I stopped…but then, I realized that I really did like it, so I continued on 🙂 .

• Reply Francesca April 5, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Right?! I just got my first dip manicure and I LOVE how thick and strong it is. Kinda concerned about how weak it’ll make my nails though. But I just love how long it lasts!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 6, 2019 at 6:45 am

I was nervous the first two times I did it (so I stopped), but then I was like “nope, that was fantastic, I’m doing it more!”.

• Reply Kacy Mah April 4, 2019 at 6:36 pm

That pic of Madeley and Andrew was the cutest!

• Reply Monica April 6, 2019 at 11:47 am

Tell me about the cute hats you take on vacation that are packable please!!!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 7, 2019 at 5:54 am

The one from Nordstrom is packable and really does “pop” back up when you arrive. I’ve had it two seasons now and it’s really held it’s shape!

• Reply Alexis April 8, 2019 at 3:37 pm

I spy Andrew’s wild swimsuit!! LOL

• Reply Detroit Duchess April 9, 2019 at 9:21 am

Kensington looks SO grown up! Your babies aren’t so little anymore (tear). Where does the time go?

• Reply Jen April 10, 2019 at 12:23 pm

That captain underpants drawing by Smith is amazing. Seriously impressed with those skills. Is this long specific character drawing practice or does he have other super heroes he can do?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama April 10, 2019 at 1:36 pm

He basically only draws this. On repeat. Ha!