What’s on my Board?!

What's on my board?

Let me tell you a little secret…Andrew Shull and I have some sort of a charcuterie board at least four nights a week.

We can’t stop.

It’s been going on about 18 months now.

Sometimes, we pull our board out and just add a little salami, good quality Parm and a few crackers…and then other nights, we pull out multiple things, add jam plus some nuts and create a whole spread.  If there is a board on a menu at a restaurant?  We get it.  We’re hooked, friends.  Hooked.

The other night, I had some couples over for dinner and created this board, so I thought I’d snap a few pics and share my favorite things on my board…

Mmmmmm…I like love this stuff so much!!!   Okay, here’s what’s on this particular board:
1: Grapes (I also like using raspberries or blackberries when in season)
2: Sliced Salami (or a good quality sausage is nice too)
3: Marcona almonds (we switched this up and sometimes used spicy nut mixtures as well)
4: Rosemary Crackers (from Trader Joe’s)
5: A different variety of salami (my friends joke with me because I love any sort of sausage/salami/pepperoni/basically any sort of meat)
6: Pepper Jelly (we love this one from Trader Joe’s but we also like blackberry pepper jellys too…you really cannot go wrong!)
7: Garlic & Herb Boursin Cheese
8: Stilton with dried cranberries
9: Pepperoni (Andrew sometimes gets us grilled chicken to put on our board, but I prefer the salami-type meats)
10: Sriracha Cheddar Cheese
11: Pepper Jack Cheese
12: A good quality honey (this one is made not far from our house)
13: Wheat Crackers
14: Rosemary sprigs to make the board smell nice and because they’re pretty

The only thing missing here was my goat cheese (fantastic with the honey and jam!).  We also really like the sweet potato crackers from Costco as well for our boards.

So…that’s on my board.  What’s on yours?!  I’m always looking for new ideas!!!

• Reply Lauren December 5, 2018 at 4:41 am

Couldn’t agree more, cheese boards are my weakness! You should follow @cheesebynumbers on Instagram, she has lots of great ideas and varieties for cheese boards!!

• Reply Erika Slaughter December 5, 2018 at 4:42 am

Hello NUMBER SIX!!! I’m still thinking about that pepper jelly…SO STINKIN’ GOOD!

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog December 5, 2018 at 4:46 am

There’s so much on your cheese platter – it’s no doubt one of the best with all of the delicious options (I’m a sucker for crackers on a cheese board, of all things, lol)! 🙂

• Reply Sara December 5, 2018 at 4:58 am

I love a little bowl of fig jam and also olives, not really together though 😉 I could eat a charcuterie board for dinner every night!

• Reply jamie December 5, 2018 at 5:02 am

two of my daughters got married this year. for one of the showers i had my daughter’s soon to be father-in-law and my husband make boards. they purchased the wood, engraved names, dates, etc. then we covered them in all the delicious things for the shower. it was a SURPRISE, so as the guests started eating items off the boards my daughter discovered these beautiful boards they will have and use forever!

• Reply Cherry December 5, 2018 at 6:12 am

This is such a sweet idea! HOW VERY SPECIAL!

• Reply Kristi December 5, 2018 at 5:07 am

Yum! I love this!! Does this replace your brownie then?! 😂😊

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 5:26 am

Ha! It should! We eat it as our appetizer, so no, it doesn’t.

• Reply Sarah December 5, 2018 at 5:19 am

I love charcuterie! It’s my new fave too! Traders joes is the best for mixing and matching all sorts of meats, cheeses, and crackers. My last board I added olives, Brie, and slices of watermelon radish and/or fig to add some extra pretty!

• Reply Meg December 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Seconding the trader joes love! I won’t go anywhere else for my charcuterie set up. My personal favorites are the spanish meat trio (comes with salami, prosciutto, and chorizo), the raisin rosemary crisps, the double creme brie, italian truffle cheese, unexpected cheddar, everything crackers, italian breadsticks, i could go on and on!

i also always have homemade jam on my board – either fig or my current staple, date apple jam! soooo good with the cheddar 🙂

• Reply Narci December 5, 2018 at 6:11 am

This was delicious. Those almonds were fantastic, and I’m still thinking about the pepper jelly! Yum!

• Reply Diana December 5, 2018 at 6:44 am

Looks delish. I add marinated mushrooms and stuffed olives!

• Reply Sarah N December 5, 2018 at 7:07 am

We LOVE to make boards too. We always add thin sliced Granny Smith apples and pears as a cracker substitute with the cheese and meats. We do crackers too, but the fruit adds a nice switch up between crackers. YUM. Love this post…

• Reply Sara F December 5, 2018 at 11:59 am

Yes!! Thin sliced apples with a sharp cheddar and pepper jelly… so delish! We actually made this combo into a sandwich the other night: Asiago bagel from Panera that we got to go. Then we used bacon slices, sharp cheddar cheese, a little apple wood smoked Gruyere (from Aldi), thin sliced apples, pepper jelly, and put it in a panini press! I also had some grilled chicken chunks on mine, but my hubby did not… both were delish and it was quick to throw together for dinner bc we used leftover bacon from another meal.

• Reply Jill December 5, 2018 at 7:13 am

Shay I am cracking up because my husband and I do the same thing!!! About 4 nights a week lol. Though we’re going on about 6 months, so you’re a bit ahead of us 😉 Love all your ideas, too. Also, I’m the reader who asked about doubling your mushroom risotto recipe recently. I did, and it was just as delicious as I remembered it 🙂

• Reply Jordan December 5, 2018 at 7:21 am

Trader Joe’s unexpected cheddar is UNBELIEVABLE. Would be a perfect cheese to add to this plate!

• Reply Trish December 5, 2018 at 7:27 am

Too funny as my husband and I just went to a class at our local grocery store about this very subject!! The chef put all breads/crackers on a separate dish. He had half a wheel of parmesan for everyone to snack on as well. On the board was Brie and two other cheeses (blanking now), salami, turkey, French ham, prosciutto, grapes, raspberries, pâté (not my cup of tea though), olive tapenade, almonds, dried apricots and…butter!

• Reply AManda wilson December 5, 2018 at 7:30 am

Yes!!!! I love this!! I like Olives with mine and Beef Jerky. The best beef jerky and pepperoni in the world is Wilhauk. Pickles to on a board or pickled anything!!

• Reply Anneka Muller December 5, 2018 at 7:35 am

I have recently discovered Aldi has a great selection of artisan meats, cheeses, and sometimes crackers. I’ve been shopping there for boards recently.

• Reply Abbie December 5, 2018 at 7:36 am

Favorite thing is a cheese/charcuterie board! Sometimes I also add a little cup of hummus and carrots or peppers to dip in.
    Have you ever tried the pesto gouda at Trader Joes??? One of my all time favorite cheeses! They don’t have it all the time though, I can usually find it in spring or summer.

• Reply Simone Sojda December 5, 2018 at 8:28 am

I love the fig crackers at Trader Joe’s paired with the truffle white cheddar!

• Reply Mother Henn December 5, 2018 at 8:38 am

We love a good board at our house too…..can easily make a meal out of it on the regular!

• Reply Kelly Buffington December 5, 2018 at 8:39 am

This will be my go-to for all holiday related events this year! I feel like it’s the sheet pan dinner’s uncooked cousin;).

• Reply Amy December 5, 2018 at 8:56 am

There is a blueberry covered goat cheese log at Trader Joe’s that is amazing. My family gets it regularly, and they even have a cranberry covered one for the holidays! Perfect for a charcuterie board!

• Reply Martha December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am

My friends and I have started enjoying these boards too – so many options! I like to add thin granny smith apple slices and prosciutto into the mix and one of my friends always has dried apricot pieces on her boards. Another idea you might like Shay is an oil tasting night. We are lucky enough in my small town to have a local shop that carries all kinds of different flavoured oils and I’ve set up a tasting station before that included 3 or 4 different flavoured oils (apple, mushroom & sage, etc) with pieces of bread to dip and taste. So good!

• Reply Laci December 5, 2018 at 9:28 am

I love all the things!!!! Pepper jelly (ok cheese is too) haha the way to my heart!!

• Reply Nancy December 5, 2018 at 9:40 am

where is your actual board from? I’ve been looking for one.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 5, 2018 at 11:34 am

Williams-Sonoma!

• Reply Ashlee December 5, 2018 at 10:07 am

We do this too! Here are some things we also add… Olive tapenade, prosciutto, pickled okra, mild blue cheese (by itself we are not huge fans but with honey it is so good, we are hooked!), and assorted entertainment crackers from Whole Foods.

• Reply Kristen December 5, 2018 at 10:13 am

Trader Joe’s has a fig butter that that is so great. They also have a goat cheese with Cranberries. Also love thinly sliced Pears on my board. I’m obsessed with charcuterie!!! Roll Tide!

• Reply Laura Fuller December 5, 2018 at 10:23 am

I’m going to make this. My husband would LOVE IT.

• Reply Shelly December 5, 2018 at 11:11 am

Add some truffle oil to the honey to make truffle honey- so good, and pairs so well with cheeses!

• Reply cassie // Hi Sugarplum December 5, 2018 at 11:13 am

And now I’m starving. And headed to Trader Joes!!

• Reply Stephanie December 5, 2018 at 12:29 pm

I found some darling Christmas tree lavosh crackers for my board. I also use fig orange spread and homemade cranberry jalapeño freezer jam! Right now our Costco has Rainforest Crisps that are perfect crackers for boards !

• Reply Gale Johnston December 5, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Stephanie, where did you find the Christmas tree lavosh crackers? Also I would love the recipe for the cranberry jalapeno freezer jam. Sounds yummy!

• Reply Chelsey December 5, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Oh my gosh, you are speaking my language. I love a good charcuterie board! Now my pregnant self is craving one haha I will have to whip one up before dinner tonight!

• Reply Sara December 5, 2018 at 1:33 pm

We love charcuterie boards too. Speaking of…if you ever stay at La Cantera in San Antonio, they have a walk-up counter in the lobby where you can create your own board and take it with you! It’s incredible!! 🙂 We also like to do picked okra, different types of olives, pickled beets, prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe, bacon wrapped figs if we’re feeling super fancy, and we always have smoked gouda cheese 🙂

• Reply Jennifer December 5, 2018 at 2:41 pm

You should check out @ainttooproudtomeg on Instagram. So good!

• Reply Tessa December 5, 2018 at 2:44 pm

This is my LOVE LANGUAGE!!!!

• Reply talia December 5, 2018 at 3:04 pm

I love brie cheese with fig jam. Also, a spicy mustard!

• Reply Diana December 5, 2018 at 5:25 pm

I’ve done this one several times. I always get asked to bring it. People think it’s amazing, but it isn’t mine. It is Lindsay’s creation. She has so many inspiring ideas. Many thanks to all the bloggers out there who share their wonderful ideas.
    Diana

• Reply Abby Conaway December 5, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Oh! I love a charcuterie board! Last year for Christmas my Dad made an amazing board for me- I just love loading it up with goodies! Everything you mentioned sounds delicious! I always put out olives and pickes too! Oh- and apples!
    I make a kid friendly version for my 3 year old and she loves it too! She always asks for “snack suppers!” 😂

• Reply Kara December 5, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Looks nice, but just seems like so much to put back away! Does this replace dinner?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama December 6, 2018 at 5:23 am

Depends on how big the “board” is! Sometimes, it’s just a bite which is a great app…but other times, it’s substantial and can be a meal.

• Reply Deanna Zehr December 5, 2018 at 10:01 pm

We are also board obsessed in our house! I always include some olives and something pickled, liked asparagus or okra. Yum!

• Reply Yley Allen December 6, 2018 at 12:23 am

Too funny- My husband and I do the same thing at least once a week. I have to have sliced apples and brie with candied pecan(or walnuts) drizzled with honey. That’s definitely my weakness. I usually do the nut thin crackers to keep it gluten free, and I agree with you 100% on the salami/meats. I love all that stuff- especially prosciutto! Yum 😍

• Reply Jill December 6, 2018 at 12:46 am

Love this! It’s our go to meal as well. So easy, yummy and pretty! Love all that you do, plus fig jam from Whole Foods with Brie well as honey, stuffed olives, sometimes pickles, sliced apples, candied pecans, dried apricots, etc. Love the savory, spicy and sweet choices! Always impresses guests and so easy to put together.

• Reply Ashley L December 6, 2018 at 4:41 am

You need truffle honey from Whole Foods. It was amazing!!!

• Reply Pam G December 6, 2018 at 6:00 am

My family is hooked, too. We had our first one from room-service at a DC hotel, and it was amazing! Honey, fresh jam, bread, cheeses, salami and pickled okra. Yum!! We feel so healthy eating it!!

• Reply Sarah Shaneyfelt December 6, 2018 at 6:04 am

I am a charcuterie novice but I am loving experimenting with them!! What do you use the honey for?
    MeetTheShaneyfelts

• Reply Alexis deZayas December 6, 2018 at 6:44 am

Bringing this post with me on my next trip to Trader Joe’s and recreating this ASAP!

• Reply Melissa December 6, 2018 at 10:44 am

Jalapeno, feta or blue cheese stuffed olives. Jalapeno are my favorite. Fig jam with sharp white cheddar on crackers is delightful.

• Reply Kelly Brick December 6, 2018 at 11:39 am

You need to try the Creamy Toscana Soaked in Syrah, Cotswold double gloucester with onion and chive, Unexpected Cheddar, St. Andre Brie and the Chianti Salami from Trader Joe’s. They are all SOOO good!! Another favorite is to put pepper jelly over mascarpone cheese and serve with mini brioche toasts. Oh man, now my mouth is watering.

• Reply Kristy December 6, 2018 at 10:46 pm

We do this at our house every Sunday night. My girls call it “Snack Dinner”. We mix up the meats, cheeses, veggies, fruits, and extras each week. I love it because I get all my veggies washed and cut for the week for Sunday night’s dinner… then I don’t have to worry about it for school lunches and such during the week!

• Reply Elizabeth December 7, 2018 at 7:21 am

Yum!! Your cheese board looks amazing! My husband and I are huge fans of charcuterie too. In Croatia they had the most amazing boards, and sometimes instead of having meals we would just have charcuterie! We just couldn’t get enough. A hard sausage or salami is a must for me– I like prosciutto too. We also always do a soft cheese if we have hard cheeses on the board, and also one “stinky” cheese. So overall, it would look something like this: crackers, a sharp cheddar, a gorgonzola or blue cheese, a brie or goat cheese, some grapes, honey, fig jam, and sliced apples. The best!!

• Reply Jennifer Furrey December 7, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I’m so lame in that I just had to google charcuterie because I keep seeing people make these on IG and I’m like “What in the world is this and why is it so trendy??” But now I feel better because everyone is just using a fancy term for a meat and cheese platter….which I have made before!

• Reply melissa December 7, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Castelvetrano olives are the best! They are mild and add something a little different from cheese/meat/nuts/fruit!

• Reply Dania December 7, 2018 at 8:10 pm

Brie, prosciutto, baguette, smoked Gouda, olives, figs or fig spread, crisps from Trader Joe’s (the fig/olive are my fave but the Raisin Rosemary and Pumpkin/Cranberry are good too! All are especially awesome with goat cheese). Some veggies….cucumber, baby carrots.

• Reply Jaren December 8, 2018 at 7:29 am

Do you follow thebakermama on Instagram? She’s from Dallas and her boards and stories are SO MUCH FUN!!! I know you will love it!!

• Reply Taylor Calame December 10, 2018 at 9:29 pm

Sun dried tomatoes and whole roasted garlic cloves. Pistachios. Dried cherries. Fresh cherries when in season.