20 Best Beach Books

Ohhhhhh!  I got excited writing this post, friends!

Today, I rounded up my 20 BEST BEACH BOOKS for you this summer!  Some are chick lit, some are suspenseful, some are thoughtful and all are perfect by the beach, pool, on a plane or snuggled on your cozy couch.  They’re in no particular order, but start skimming, find a few (or all!) and start reading.  If you had to name on BEST BEACH BOOK, what would you recommend?  I’d love to know!!

Also, I get asked a lot what I read my books on and even though I protested LIKE CRAZY, I read my first book on a Kindle about 18 months ago and now, CANNOT IMAGINE READING ON ANYTHING ELSE!  I use this one right here because it’s waterproof!  I can sit by the pool (heck, I can sit in the pool!) or tub and not worry about it being damaged by water.  It’s like my favorite purchase EVER.  For those of you (like me!) who cannot imagine reading on a Kindle, you are wrong 😉 .  It will change your life.

Happy reading, friends! xo

Cancel the Wedding
by Carolyn Dingman
One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
It Ends With Us
by Colleen Hoover

• Reply Lauren June 4, 2019 at 4:43 am

I think I’ve read over half this list just from your recommendations! If you liked Secret Life of Violet Grant and One Hundred Summers, you’d like A Fine Imitation by Amber Brock. It’s about a wealthy NYC socialite and set in the 1920’s. Enough said, right?

• Reply Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog June 4, 2019 at 4:47 am

Going to check out your recommendations one by one! (still don’t agree about the Kindle point, though! 😉 )

• Reply Lisa Kasiski June 4, 2019 at 5:17 am

Done! Just ordered one as you never steer me wrong! Can’t wait to download those books on this list that I haven’t read for my vacay. Love you and your blog so much!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 5:52 am

You will LOVE it!!! I promise, Lisa!!

• Reply Narci June 4, 2019 at 5:19 am

Love so many of these books on this list! What a great list of books for the beach.

• Reply Erika Slaughter June 4, 2019 at 5:22 am

Oooh!!! You included some of my FAVORITES!!

• Reply Nicole June 4, 2019 at 5:41 am

I am reading Swear on this Life from one of your previous book reviews… oh my goodness, it is so good! I don’t want it to end. Have you read any other books by Renee Carlino and enjoyed them?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 5:51 am

I haven’t but need to!

• Reply Sarah Dizard June 4, 2019 at 7:07 am

I always go to your book posts when I am
      looking for a new one to read. I also read After the Rain by Renee Carlino because I loved her other book you recommended. Loved it!

• Reply Kelly M Sites June 4, 2019 at 5:56 am

I’ve read nearly every book you listed- and agree. I’d also add Castle of Water as a fantastic beach read. What a great book! Also loved The Mermaid Chair (perfect for summer).

• Reply Sheaffer Sims June 4, 2019 at 6:32 am

Soooooooooooooooooooo many of my favorites are on this list!!!! Gosh, I LOVE a great beach read!!!

JK

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 6:35 am

I just LOL!

• Reply Kathy June 4, 2019 at 9:57 am

I still love following you, Sheaffer, even if you don’t share our love of reading. On another note, when I reluctantly got a kindle, I thought I’d never go back. Then I retired and started taking my grandson to the library every week. I’ve come to enjoy these trips and have read more books lately than ebooks. (82 last year!). Love both and get most of my recommendations from you.

• Reply Tracey Cobb June 4, 2019 at 7:12 am

This was fabulous! Thank you so much. I was just getting ready to load my Kindle for our vacay! I think I’ll start with Daisy Jones.

• Reply Meredith June 4, 2019 at 8:31 am

I wait for this comment every single book review blog. I can go now! 😂😂😂

• Reply carolyn mills June 4, 2019 at 8:36 pm

One of my favorite beach reads is an oldie but a goodie; The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney.

• Reply Dawn June 7, 2019 at 8:23 am

😂😂😂

• Reply Kristen June 4, 2019 at 6:33 am

Shay! You need to add “Where the Forest Meets the Stars” to your list since you lived “Where the Crawdads Sing” so much! It was a similar style and I loved it too! ❤️

• Reply Erin June 4, 2019 at 6:51 am

Agreed! One of my favorite books so far this year!

• Reply Katarina June 4, 2019 at 7:51 am

Double agree!!! Definitely in my top 3 for the year so far.

• Reply Sarah Lewis June 4, 2019 at 6:42 am

I’ve read most of this list because of your recommendations and have loved them all!! I would also add the 3 fiction books by Rachel Hollis. Party Girl, Sweet Girl, & Smart Girl. I loved them!

• Reply Beth Miller June 4, 2019 at 6:43 am

ANY Elin Hilderbrand book is a great beach read! I’d also suggest Emily Giffin and Jane Green books! I’ve read almost all of those on your list! And yes, add Castle of Water to that list.

• Reply Kasie Miller June 4, 2019 at 7:05 am

This is such a great list of books–I’ve read quite a few and have added the others to my list for the future!

• Reply Coreline June 4, 2019 at 7:18 am

I am looking forward to reading Elin Hilderbrand’s newest, it was my BOTM choice for this month as any summer would not be complete without a Hilderbrand book!

• Reply Michele June 4, 2019 at 7:30 am

The family next door by Sally Hepworth is one of my FAVORITES!! I can’t remember if you have read it or not??? I seriously loved this book.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 8:02 am

I have! It’s brilliant!

• Reply Andee Hart June 4, 2019 at 7:33 am

Have you read “On the Island” by Tracey Garcia Graves. My girlfriends and I read it and agree it was one of our all time favorites. Great beach read!

• Reply Sally Hepworth June 4, 2019 at 7:38 am

I’m reading The Cactus by Sarah Haywood and it’s great so far! Would be a great Summer pick. And thank you for choosing The Mother In Law x

• Reply Taylor R June 4, 2019 at 8:38 am

The Mother In Law was a fabulous choice; I enjoyed it very quickly over our recent babymoon! <3 Well done!

• Reply Elspeth Mizner June 4, 2019 at 7:39 am

So many good choices! I’m going to add some of these to my reading list! Love it!

• Reply Taylor June 4, 2019 at 7:45 am

When Life Gives you Lululemons & Ladies’ Night by Mary Kay Andrews are two of my all time favorite beach reads!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 8:01 am

• Reply Kelly L Forbes*on hub June 4, 2019 at 7:48 am

Would you ever consider listing your top twenty non-fiction book picks? I love your book recommendations; however, it is HARD for me to gain interest in a book that isn’t at least “based” on true events. Although, ironically, I’m NOT a Bill O’Reilly fan, yet, two of my favorite books that I’ve read via your monthly recommendations are books authored by him…I I loved, “Killing of the Rising Sun”, and, “Killing Kennedy”.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 8:01 am

That’s a great idea!!

• Reply Melanie June 4, 2019 at 7:55 am

I work in a relay call center and we are not allowed to have any electronic devices at our station (other than a company computer). I love my Kindle because I can read my books on-line on Kindle Cloud Reader! That’s a big plus and helps me get through the day when I have long hold calls.

• Reply Alison H June 4, 2019 at 8:03 am

Great list! I have read most of these books because of your recommendations. 😃 I still read books, but I have a birthday next month, and I’m thinking about asking for the Kindle. Do you have the 8 or 32GB?

• Reply Holley@beesimplyorganized.com June 4, 2019 at 8:06 am

I LOVE your book suggestions! Your book lists are always my first stop when looking for a new read. And you better believe this page will be bookmarked! I love my kindle! And the case too! I will be getting on my Libby app to place a hold for several of these books! Have you ever used the Libby app Shay? It’s a free app for downloading your Library books straight to your Kindle! It’s great! Kensington and Smith could use it for their Kindles too. 🙂 Happy beach reading!

• Reply April June 4, 2019 at 8:12 am

I have never used a Kindle to read books. However I use a library app on my iPad. I can check books out and not buy them. Is there an option to check books out on the kindle? Or do you have to purchase every book you read?

• Reply Meg June 5, 2019 at 11:40 am

Hi April – if the app you’re talking about is Overdrive, you can use it on a kindle! I havent paid for a kindle book in a couple years now. Overdrive links to your amazon account, and then sends it to you kindle like any other book. Plus, if you need longer than the 3 week period to read it, you can always put your kindle on airplane mode so you can finish the book without losing it 🙂 It’s the best!

• Reply Amber Vance June 4, 2019 at 8:15 am

Thanks for the great list of books! I’m headed to the beach soon and deciding on what to read is on my to do list. I LOVE my kindle but I still like old school books as well.

• Reply Leslie June 4, 2019 at 8:17 am

What a great list! I’m about halfway through Where the Crawdads Sing. Another one I’m reading is The Year of Living Danishly. Based on what I’ve read so far, it’d be a great beach read!

• Reply Katie Compton June 4, 2019 at 8:26 am

Yay!! I’m a teacher and our last day was Thurs so I’m in full vacay book mode! Reading It Ends With Us right now and loving it! I’ve read about half on this list just based on your reviews and adding the others to my “to read” list. Thank you!! Oh, and I’d add Class Mom to this list too. As a teacher AND mom it was a hilarious read!

• Reply Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams June 4, 2019 at 8:26 am

So many good ones! I have read a few and a few are on my list for this summer. I would highly recommend A Nantucket Wedding (almost done with this one!!) by Nancy Thayer and Little Fires Everywhere would be a fun suspenseful easy summer read!

• Reply Elizabeth Stiles June 4, 2019 at 8:35 am

You sooooo need to read some Christina Lauren books! Any of them are great! I have read The Unhoneymooners, My Favorite Half Night Stand, Dating You Hating You, Josh and Hazels guide to not dating, Roomies, and Love and other Words and they are ALL so so good!

• Reply Taylor R June 4, 2019 at 8:36 am

I always love your recommendations, especially of the Beach Read variety! Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share! <3

• Reply Krista June 4, 2019 at 8:44 am

I just read It Ends With Us this weekend at the lake! I keep my Kindle loaded!

• Reply Julie June 4, 2019 at 8:54 am

Thanks for this great list! I’m curious, is it cheaper to buy books for your Kindle than on amazon? I’m always debating getting the Kindle but I love real books so much. However the convenience of being able to take it with me everywhere seems great. And if books cost less, hmmm…

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 11:45 am

I buy the books for my Kindle on Amazon (and then they’re downloaded to my book). I do feel like they’re always at a reduced price.

• Reply katarina June 5, 2019 at 9:34 am

Check out the Libby app – you can get loans from the library for free 🙂

• Reply Jayne June 4, 2019 at 9:05 am

How was I so out of it that I didn’t know (until today!) that Prime membership included a free e-book per month? Do you take advantage of that? I’d love to know if you’ve chosen any of the ones currently available.

• Reply Jeanelle June 4, 2019 at 10:12 am

So many good ones on your list but I would add The Hating Game by Sally Thorne and Last Mrs Parrish by Liv Constantine. (and I LOVED The Mother in Law – such a fantastic book!!!)

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 11:44 am

Yes!! Both fantastic books!

• Reply Christina June 4, 2019 at 10:14 am

Splendid Isolation is a lovely beach read!

• Reply Colleen T June 4, 2019 at 8:18 pm

Who is the author? A few different Splendid Isolation titles come up. Thanks!

• Reply Morie Smith June 4, 2019 at 10:40 am

So, I have a general reading question… Are you strict about starting and finishing one book at a time, or do you ever read multiple books at once? I admire how much you read, and I’m wondering if starting multiple books at once is my downfall to not reading as much, haha!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 11:44 am

Ah! Good question! I will sometimes read one faith based book at the same time I read a fictional book, but for the most part, one at a time.

• Reply Kim June 4, 2019 at 10:45 am

Before I got my first Kindle I was in the “I just don’t think it would be the same without holding a book in my hand and turning pages…” etc, and my sister said “that’s what everyone says until they try it.” And I think she’s right! The ONLY thing I miss is being able to pass a book along after I’ve read it.

• Reply Janet King June 4, 2019 at 11:07 am

I need advise from all you Texans….My friend and I (both teachers) are celebrating our big 5-0 birthday with a girls trip to TEXAS. We are from Missouri. The plan is to stay in Houston a couple days and drive to Galveston for a one day and check out Houston one day too. Then spend a night in Waco. TEXAS ladies please help us out on where to stay in Houston and Waco? Thanks!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 11:43 am

Oh gosh! I don’t know??? I don’t ever stay the night in either location. I’m sorry!

• Reply Dana Jackson June 4, 2019 at 5:59 pm

I’m originally from Houston so I can help but tell me what you’d like to do while there…Houston is so big and there’s lots of options from high end to budget! Waco is fun…there’s a great boutique hotel called Hotel Indigo and there’s also a couple of holiday inn express hotels and Marriott, Hampton Inn etc. that will be a little less expensive! While in Waco some fun things to see/do will be The Silos at Magnolia, the bakery is so yummy, Magnolia Table if you can get in, Spice Village and The Findery for great shopping, and Twisted Root, Torchys Tacos, Shortys and Steel City Pops for food options! Have fun!

• Reply Stephanie June 4, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Stay at Hotel Indigo when staying in Waco. It’s walking distance to most things downtown and walking distance to the Silos.

• Reply Kirsten June 5, 2019 at 10:49 am

Hi Janet – I have a friend who lives in Houston area, to the north and have gone to visit her. I usually stay right near The Woodlands mall – plenty of fun shopping there and the area is a little more upscale, so feels quite safe. A fun little shopping side trip is Old Town Spring- you can check it out on line.

• Reply Lori June 4, 2019 at 11:15 am

Do you have the 8GB or 32 GB Kindle Paperwhite?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 11:43 am

Almost positive I have the 32GB.

• Reply Lori June 4, 2019 at 12:33 pm

Thanks! Do you have the one with Wi-Fi + Free Cellular Connectivity? I’m almost ready to buy one and want to make sure I get the right thing.

• Reply Rachel June 4, 2019 at 11:49 am

I would recommend Something in the Water for your list. I read it in the winter, but I kept thinking that it would be a perfect book to read on the beach.

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 3:03 pm

That’s such a good one! I was just talking about it yesterday!!

• Reply Amy Heinl June 5, 2019 at 3:07 am

Anything by Mary Alice Monroe…she wrote The Beach House that Hallmark made into one of their Hall of Fame movies. I personally think her books are better than Nancy They’re & Elin Hildebrand..both whom I know you love as much as I do. Her latest novel is on every summer must read list that I have seen this summer. Her latest The Summer Guests releases on June 11th. I hope you check her books out. You won’t be dusappointed

• Reply Nana June 4, 2019 at 2:11 pm

When do you ever find TIME to read??

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 4, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Mostly at night! And always, always, always when I travel 🙂 .

• Reply Kristy Woodson Harvey June 4, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Thank you SO much for including Slightly South of Simple on your Beach Reads list! 🙂 🙂

• Reply Betsy June 4, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Do you have a case on your Kindle?

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 5, 2019 at 4:35 am

Yes!! It’s just a standard, basic one from Amazon.

• Reply Mother of 3 June 4, 2019 at 5:25 pm

Lots of great suggestions on here! I have a Kindle and I do read books on it but I still prefer a “real” book most of the time. The Kindle comes in handy for travel though as I don’t have to pack nearly as much.

• Reply Dana Jackson June 4, 2019 at 6:07 pm

I’ve read and loved so many of the books on the list!! I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain…fast, easy read and the movie comes out in August! Any Elin Hilderbrand but an oldie but goodie of hers is Blue Bistro!! Also Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline is so good!!

• Reply Anita chaplin June 4, 2019 at 7:38 pm

I always love your book reviews and have read quite a few of the them! My favorite book or beach read is “Beach “Music” by pat conroy. It’s heavy in parts but soooo worth it!!!

• Reply Colleen T. June 4, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Thank you! I love your book suggestions and just updated my Goodreads list with all your recommendations. Do you use Goodreads? I absolutely love it for organizing what books I want to read and which ones I have read. Also, I absolutely agree about the Kindle. I swore I would never convert but did a few years ago so I could read while breastfeeding at night and have never gone back. Do you use Kindle Unlimited? So far I have gotten a majority of books from our library using their Elibrary system but the membership fee is almost as much as 1 book a month so I was thinking about it. I was curious what you think.

• Reply Jennifer June 4, 2019 at 8:01 pm

I got my kindle last summer and I love it! I talked my husband into one as well. I tell everyone that if I were Oprah it would be on my favorite things list and I would give one to everyone I know!

PS – love your blog and book lists!

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 5, 2019 at 4:35 am

Ah!!! Thank you!!

• Reply Allyson June 4, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Divine Secrets if the YaYa Sisterhood for me!

• Reply Joseph Forsee June 4, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Shay – your monthly list inspires me each month to read! And I love it! I’ve read MANY of your recommendations. I was curious – do you keep notes on the books you’ve read or do you rate them as to how to recommend them (other than your monthly book review)? Or do you re-read books? I was looking at your list and thinking – I read that and that and that but I can’t remember how some of them end! Do you remember the endings in order to recommend or do you keep notes or do you re-read?

• Reply Jody Forsee June 4, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Oops – I don’t know why that posted as my husband, Joseph, because he is like, Sheaffer – he HATES to read! The comment was from me – Jody Forsee. 🙂

• Reply Mix and Match Mama June 5, 2019 at 4:35 am

I do keep a running list of every book with some notes next to it, but really and truly, I think I remember the details of them all. I do get a little mixed up sometimes on all the psychological thrillers where a woman is missing (which is so many!). Those can kind of run together.

• Reply Mary Jane June 5, 2019 at 8:34 am

What?!? No Nancy Thayer??

• Reply Mary Jane June 5, 2019 at 8:36 am

Nvm. Should’ve double-checked before posting! 🤪

• Reply Grace June 6, 2019 at 7:19 am

I am going to switch back to reading on my Kindle this summer! I just downloaded four of your recommendations! I cannot wait! It gives me something to do while bf other than watch TV. HA! 😉

• Reply Virginia June 7, 2019 at 12:20 pm

I actually have a lot of these either downloaded or in hard copy to read for my beach trip in two weeks. I love my kindle but I still buy hard copy books when it is more cost efficient to do so. Used from amazon or ebay is a great option for older books!