Happy Thursday! Today is technically our first day of SUMMER, and we are STOKED!!
This morning, I’m sharing an easy little breakfast for you…it’s not even really a recipe, just an idea in case you want a delicious and different weekend brunch option.
We took our normal waffle mix (for us Bisquick’s Gluten-Free Pancake & Baking Mix) added in our favorite things (cheddar and green onions!) and topped it with sausage gravy. It was a feast on a plate! It was also easy to make subs and turn g-free too.
Here’s hopin’ there’s a summer brunch in your future!! xoPrint
We took our favorite waffle mix and jazzed it up for a special weekend breakfast! All you do is assemble gravy and pour it over your savory waffle with a little garnish.
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage
- about 3 tablespoons all purpose flour (we used Cup4Cup)
- about ½ to 1 cup milk (we used 2%)
- salt and pepper to taste
- your favorite pancake or waffle mix (we used Bisquick G-Free) with all of the ingredients per box direction to prepare
- about one cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- about 8 green onions, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- Take your breakfast sausage and slice it into round patties (about 10 to 12 slices).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lay your sausage across the bottom and let it fry up on both sides (I don’t add oil because the sausage will give us enough fat). After a few minutes, flip to make sure you’re cooking both sides. When your sausage is cooked through, remove to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Next, take your flour and sprinkle it over your sausage drippings in your skillet and stir about a minute. After that, whisk in your milk slowly (adding more if necessary) and reduce the heat to low. Keep whisking until your gravy begins to thicken up (add milk if it’s too thick). Sprinkle salt and pepper in your gravy.
- Meanwhile, you need to prepare your waffle mix per the box directions. Once you have it prepared, stir in your sharp cheddar and green onions. Add waffle batter to hot waffle iron to make up your savory waffles.
- When it’s time to eat, just assemble! Waffle plus some sausage gravy with crumbled sausage (from your patties) on top and a few chopped green onions.
Since we use gluten-free flour, our gravy doesn’t brown up quite as much as a normal all purpose flour and thickens a little quicker too. However you make your gravy (even with bacon!), make it for this and crumble your protein on top!