You guys know how much I love a Poke Cake (the basic little cake where you poke holes in it and then pour extra goodness down inside), but guess what? My kids love making them too!
If you have no clue about this kind of cake (so easy!), you can see my step by step pics HERE from a chocolate fudge version.
Kensington has been baking her little heart out this summer. She loves to turn on a binge-worthy show (lots of Gilmore Girls) and bake late at night when we’re all about to go to sleep (she’s our night owl). This is her Key Lime version, and it’s perfect for summertime!
The easiest little cake recipe for your summer! It’s even better when you make it 24 hours in advance!
- 1 box of your favorite yellow or white cake mix plus the ingredients to prepare per box directions (we use gluten-free)
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- the juice and zest of 2 to 3 key limes (or 2 regular limes)
- Cool Whip for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease (we use Pam) a 9×12 baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare your boxed cake per directions on the back for the 9×12 size. Bake as long as needed per directions.
- While your cake is baking, take your sweetened condensed milk and pour it into a bowl. Next, stir in the juice and zest of two to three key limes (depending on how large they are). Reserve some zest for garnishing.
- As soon as your cake is pulled out of the oven, take a wooden spatula and, using the handle, poke several rows of holes down in your warm cake. Next, drizzle your sweetened condensed milk down over the holes. Cover your cake and pop it into the fridge for at least an hour up to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, garnish your cake with Cool Whip and a bit more lime zest.
The easiest little summer dessert! We use gluten-free cake mixes to keep our cakes g-free!