Last month, my sweet boy turned NINE and was insistent that he make a “poke cake” for his birthday. My mom likes to make these especially during the summer months, but my January baby wanted one for his big day. I asked him what kind and he said CHOCOLATE FUDGE 🙂 . I bought all of the ingredients, and he made it after school. I offered to make it myself, but nope, he wanted to do it. So, here you go…
We used a store bought chocolate cake mix. He stirred everything together, poured it into the baking dish, baked it and then as soon as it was ready, he started poking his holes. We like to use the end of a wooden spoon for our holes.
First, he poured sweetened condensed milk down on top and then, chocolate fudge (the kind you use for an ice cream topping). Then, we covered it and popped it in the fridge until the next day when we celebrated…
…he wanted to cover it with whipped topping and chocolate chips.
I love this kid so much!!
Blurry but happy 🙂 .
That’s how a 9 year old makes his poke cake for his birthday 🙂 . This just makes me happy.
Here are the easy steps:
1. Whip up a chocolate cake (either from scratch or a box mix).
2. Bake it
3. As soon as it comes out of the oven, poke your holes across the top
4. Pour one (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk down over the top
5. Heat about 1½ cups of chocolate fudge and then pour it down over the top as well
6. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve
7. Uncover, top with whipped topping and chocolate chips
I love seeing my kids in the kitchen! xo