Best Slow Cooker Roast

Best Slow Cooker Roast

‘Tis that time of year to walk in the door after a long day and smell a hearty and delicious roast simmering away in your slow cooker.  Seriously…is there any smell better? #ithinknot

When I think of winter recipes, I immediately think of a roast.  So, when I wanted a great roast recipe that would take no time at all to prep, who did I call?  My mother-in-law…because she knows roast.

I made this at the beginning of December for my whole family and it was a HUGE hit!  Everyone loved it!  And I don’t know about you…but as a mama, when everyone loves their supper, you feel like a super hero 🙂 .  We loved it so much that we’ve continued to have it (including last night!!).  It’s so easy, feeds a crowd, makes your house smell absolutely fantastic and is delicious too.  #winning

Now, my mother-in-law likes to add carrots and new potatoes the last hour or so, but we like to serve ours alongside a baked potato (last night, we had baked sweet potatoes) and a salad.  Easy peasy!

Here are the only things you’ll need along with your rump roast (ours was about 3.5 pounds)…

Simple enough?!  I’m telling you…you will be making this one on REPEAT!

Shopping List
1 (3 to 4 pound rump roast)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt and pepper (I prefer Kosher or sea salt)
2 (10 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 packet of Lipton’s Beefy Onion soup mix (two packets come in a box)
about 1½ cups of beef stock

In a big pot over medium-high heat, add in a big drizzle of EVOO and brown up both sides of your roast.  Sprinkle a liberal amount of both salt and pepper on each side as you brown (no more than 4 minutes per side). Once both sides are browned, add the roast to your slow cooker and then add in your cream of mushroom soups, one packet of onion soup mix (just the dry packet, not prepared) and your beef stock.  Cover and cook on HIGH 8 to 10 hours.

When you’re ready to eat, remove the roast from the slow cooker and allow it to rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Your family is going to love, love, love this recipe! Huge hit at my house!!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog January 9, 2018 at 4:35 am

Winter definitely calls for a good roast! It’s so cold where I am now, I need something to warm me up. Thank you for the recipe as always, Shay! 🙂

• Erika Slaughter January 9, 2018 at 5:38 am

We need this in our life STAT!!

• Narci Dreffs January 9, 2018 at 5:58 am

This looks delicious! Definitely adding this to our menu asap!! Yum!

• Ashley Byars January 9, 2018 at 7:37 am

This needs on my meal plan ASAP! Thanks for sharing🙂

• Alexis deZayas January 9, 2018 at 7:40 am

Roast is one of my very favorite meals!! Yum!

• Tarah Sanford January 9, 2018 at 7:52 am

Do you have to brown the roast first, or can you just throw it in the crockpot?!

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 11:14 am

You don’t have to…but I love browning beef first.

• Tarah Sanford January 9, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to try this!

• Monica January 9, 2018 at 8:15 am

This is how my Mom always used to make it and I LOVE it!

• Tina January 9, 2018 at 9:09 am

What are the odds?! I’ve been looking for a good roast recipe this week and was wishing you had one. The ones I found online looked too complicated. I like quick and simple.☺️ Thank you!

• Julie Psurny January 9, 2018 at 9:51 am

I’ve been craving roast for a few days now so this recipe came right on time. Just a quick question…similar recipes I’ve seen usually suggest either 8-10 hours on low or 3-4 on high. Do you really cook yours 8-10 hours on high? Just wanted to clarify, thank you!

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 11:12 am

Yes! I do Andrea’s Pulled Pork on high as well (one of our faves too!).

• Julie Psurny January 9, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Thank you for clarifying!

• Talia January 9, 2018 at 9:56 am

This is my exact recipe, except I use red wine in place of the beef broth. So dang good!

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 11:12 am

That sounds good too!!!

• Julie January 9, 2018 at 8:19 pm

Any red wine and how much?my mother n law just gave me this recipe and hers only calls for wine ..how much though. Lol she never said

• Talia January 15, 2018 at 10:49 am

Julie – one can of red wine works perfectly. So good!

• Laci January 9, 2018 at 10:02 am

We had roast last night too! Always a crowd pleaser!

• Kary January 9, 2018 at 10:33 am

My favorite way to make roast! I normally use the onion mix though. I think I’ll mix it up this week and use the beefy. 🙂

• Maria January 9, 2018 at 11:01 am

Yum! But I’m not a fan of cream of mushroom… any substitution ideas?

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 11:11 am

What about cream of celery? You’ll get that same creamy consistency and then the flavor when you add your Lipton packet.

• Alina January 9, 2018 at 12:03 pm

Sounds yummy! Have you ever made baked potatoes in your slow cooker? I’ve heard of people doing that, but I’m unsure of how it will turn out!

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I have not! I’ve heard of it too though! We should try it 🙂 .

• Caitlin Taylor January 9, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I have a similar recipe from before I had a slow cooker that uses Lipton onion soup packets and golden mushroom soup poured over a roast, wrapped tightly in foil, and cooked all day at a very low oven temperature. I definitely want to try it in the slow cooker using your method – so easy and delicious!!

• Leticia January 9, 2018 at 12:36 pm

And is that a twice-baked potato? YUM!! I just made a creole pork roast in the slow cooker, it was great to walk in the house after evening church service to the smell of spices and dinner!!

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 12:59 pm

It’s just a normal baked potato with toppings 🙂 . Enjoy your supper!!

• Nicole January 9, 2018 at 1:00 pm

This might be a weird question, but what’s on your baked potato? 🙂

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions 🙂 .

• Michelle B. January 9, 2018 at 9:53 pm

I think everyone is asking because they wanna know what kind of cheese that is ? Lol looks good though!

• Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2018 at 5:31 am

Ha! I just grated sharp cheddar. Easy as that.

• Rhiannon Langford January 9, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Exact same recipe as my momma, but she swore by the golden mushroom soup over the cream of mushroom soup. SOO yummy and easy!

• nicole January 9, 2018 at 1:09 pm

This is a random question but what all do you put on your side salad?? Do you put dressing on it or let everyone pick their own dressing.

• Mix and Match Mama January 9, 2018 at 1:14 pm

It depends on what kind of salad we’re having. My kids like the typical ranch/Caesar/honey mustard variety. They also like olive oil and balsamic too.

• Mindy Barrow January 9, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Shay, What does browning the beef do for it? I always see people suggest browning it first, just curious if it helps with the flavor or tenderness, etc. Thanks!

• Mix and Match Mama January 10, 2018 at 5:34 am

I like to brown it because then when it’s done, the edges are nice and crispy and it has great color. I think it gives it an additional little depth of flavor.

• Kimberly January 9, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Yummy! Another great variation to cooking a roast 😀 I think I’ll try this with 1 of the 78 roasts we have left 😜 Thanks for coming up with new flavor combinations!

• Liz January 10, 2018 at 12:50 am

This sounds so yummy and comforting! We like to do a tri tip roast (a big one, like the 2 pack you can get at Costco, the trimmed cut not the untrimmed ) and literally just pop it into the slow cooker with coarse pepper, salt and granulated garlic or Montreal seasoning all over and cook on high for 4ish hours. No added liquid, it kinda makes a little of its own. It is so flavorful, tender, and easy!

• Tracy January 10, 2018 at 8:09 am

I have this in the crockpot right now. So excited to try it. Thankyou

• Maria January 12, 2018 at 11:42 am

Do you know why some recipes call from 3-4 hours on high and others 8-10? This has currently been in my crockpot for 4 hours and looks done but I know you recommend 8 hours.

• Mix and Match Mama January 12, 2018 at 11:46 am

I find that with some of these bigger pieces of meat (a whole pork loin/roast/etc), they get more tender with higher heat a longer amount of time. If you don’t take the lid off of your slow cooker, you’ll keep all of that moisture inside and it will be amazing when it’s done!

• Maria January 12, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Great, thanks for the quick reply!

• Karen January 14, 2018 at 7:10 am

I accidentally bought a shoulder roast instead of a rump roast. Should i make any adjustments to the cooking time or temp?

• Mix and Match Mama January 15, 2018 at 5:32 am

Nope! I hope it’s delish!

• Suzanne ! January 14, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I mad this tonight and it was a big hit! Ive never been successful at pot roast but I finally did it with this recipe 🙂

• Sharon C. January 15, 2018 at 10:53 am

Do you mix all of the soups with the broth before pouring them in the crock pot?

• Mix and Match Mama January 15, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Nope! Just pour everything individually over it.

• Katie January 15, 2018 at 11:44 am

Hi Shay! Does your MIL have a recommendation on how many potatoes and carrots she adds in with an hour left? I don’t want to overdo it.

• Mix and Match Mama January 15, 2018 at 1:06 pm

Just asked her! She said to use one small bag of baby carrots and 2 to 4 (depending on how many people) red potatoes.

• jessa creager January 16, 2018 at 2:03 pm

I was short on time so made this in my instant pot. Browned the roast in the IP on the saute setting. Threw some peeled/diced potatoes, sliced onion and baby carrots on top of the roast then poured the soup/broth mix over everything and it was great!

• Megan January 19, 2018 at 3:12 pm

We had this last night + leftovers for lunch today, of course! It was so simple to prep and our favorite pot roast recipe we’ve tried yet. Thanks for sharing recipes I always know will be a success. As a busy mom, I don’t have time for “iffy” recipes!! 🙂